Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

some texas redneck posted:

He swears he's been topping it off with 50/50 premix...

Yes, but since when? It could have had straight water in it for 3 years before he had to open it up to add poo poo to it...

Is there "coolant" in the trans fluid? (in-radiator coolers can sometimes crosspolinate...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I didn't think to check. :doh:

Seems to shift fine though, so I doubt it. I'll check next time I touch the car.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
Ugh. Finally finished suspension and getting these tires to fit has pretty much taken all desire for me to work on this car anymore this year. Oh well, at least I can generate a list of all the poo poo I want to do next year.

Feel free to post this in the stupid poo poo thread.

nollij fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 7, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Holy poo poo, how wide are those?

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

Holy poo poo, how wide are those?

285/30/18.

A buddy of mine has fit 295/30/18s on the stock fenders but I don't know if his tires are actually wider as I have less clearance in the rear than he does (tread width, not section width; also taking into consideration wheel offsets/sizes).

Not terribly difficult if you have the right offset but my offset is a couple mils slight of optimal and I don't want to spend money on CCWs right now.

Also, I have less lock to lock rubbing and a lot more caster than him right now... until he makes his own control arms.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Installed my Ireland engineering camber plates to replace the broken stock Mini ones. Took about 2 hours, but now that I know that I am doing it should take and hour next time. And there might be a next time in my immediate future. The plates did not come with any instructions whatsoever, and both fit on either the passenger side or drivers with no problem. So, which side does each plate go on? I opted to try arranging them in a manner that would give me maximum negative camber. I am supposed to get about -1.0 degree. Eyeballing it afterwards tells me that what I have is an awful lot of angle, and I probably have it backwards. Gonna have to call Monday.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

nollij posted:

Ugh. Finally finished suspension and getting these tires to fit has pretty much taken all desire for me to work on this car anymore this year. Oh well, at least I can generate a list of all the poo poo I want to do next year.

Feel free to post this in the stupid poo poo thread.

Those tires are ridiculous.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Found this bouncing around inside one of my new tires:

In surprisingly good shape considering it in there for a week, still working too. Shop took responsibility and ordered a new one.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
that must have made for a really nice smooth riding balanced tire.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Removed and reseated that valve cover properly on the Saturn. Letting the RTV cure now.

Pulled the truck into the garage for an oil change, did that - spilled a ton like an idiot when removing the oil filter and when dumping the oil from the drip pan back to the used containers.

Started it up and noticed a leak - of gas from the fuel pump, determined it was a leaky fitting. I don't think it's the right male to female but they screw together ok, added some thread sealant and called it a day while the monsoon rolled over.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Got sick of the fabric hanging loosely off of the back of the passenger seat. Popped the panel off, breaking the clips of course. Stretched the fabric and hot-glued it back in place on the back edges (looks like it was attached the same way to begin with).

Looks a hell of a lot better now. Maybe eventually I'll redo both of them with, oh, some pink fabric or a rainbow flag to gently caress with people. :haw: It's just a cardboard panel that covers the cavity on the back of the seat, with fabric stretched over it.

nollij posted:

285/30/18.

Soooo I'm going to guess that ride quality isn't a concern then :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 8, 2012

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
/\/\/\
I'm looking to go 215/40/18 on the van instead of 225/45/18s to help front clearance.

Rollin' the family on 40s :whatup:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
you have a very different understanding of the term "40s" than I do :haw:

(that's a 15" alloy rim sitting on top of some 46s next to a truck ridin' on 42s on bling rear end steel DEUCES :whatup:)

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

Soooo I'm going to guess that ride quality isn't a concern then :v:

Between that, the spring rate and the spherical bushings it sure is a kidney shaker!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Sold it. Big 5 series was not for me.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I washed and waxed mine. More red keeps coming off every time I do... :smith:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Lightbulb Out posted:

I washed and waxed mine. More red keeps coming off every time I do... :smith:

Isn't that normal? Or is that car supposed to have a clear coat?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Spent loving 6 hours waxing my car with the Turtle Wax Black Box. Its a 4 step kit so I essentially had to go over the car 4 times. Did not think it would take so long.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Spent loving 6 hours waxing my car with the Turtle Wax Black Box. Its a 4 step kit so I essentially had to go over the car 4 times. Did not think it would take so long.

Does it come with 2 grams of Advil in the box too? For your sake I hope it did...

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Ziploc posted:

Isn't that normal? Or is that car supposed to have a clear coat?

The non-metallic e30s should be single stage if I remember correctly.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
It is single stage paint, so it is normal for it. I am just nervous about the paint getting too thin, as its clearly worn down in many spots already. I would like to polish it and get a little more hardcore with it, but I need to do more research and ask the detailing thread.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Sponge! posted:

Does it come with 2 grams of Advil in the box too? For your sake I hope it did...

I took about 1000mg of aspirin and got a mean sunburn in the process.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Lowered it about an inch today. Eibach pro kit with stock shocks.

It'll settle a little more. I snapped these right after I took it off the jack stands.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Added it to the fleet. Contrary to what rap videos would have you believe, this vehicle has not improved my rap skills, nor has it improved my ability to attract whorish women. :sigh: Not a big fan of trucks, but I couldn't fit large car parts, people, luggage, etc. in anything I had, so it was necessary.

2003 Escalade, Vortec 6.0L, AWD, tow package, sunroof. It's not without its problems though, I still have to sort out a few things. I replaced the battery and scrubbed the poo poo out of the seats today (they were pretty gross). Still have to locate a replacement driver's mirror, sort out a scary "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message, fix a hole in the tailgate :psyduck: and locate a drivers side seat spring, plus a couple other small parts. Think an alignment may be in my future as well. Don't suppose anyone knows of one of these being parted out or in a wrecking yard? We don't get U-Pull yards in Long Island. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Black88GTA posted:

Added it to the fleet. Contrary to what rap videos would have you believe, this vehicle has not improved my rap skills, nor has it improved my ability to attract whorish women. :sigh: Not a big fan of trucks, but I couldn't fit large car parts, people, luggage, etc. in anything I had, so it was necessary.

2003 Escalade, Vortec 6.0L, AWD, tow package, sunroof. It's not without its problems though, I still have to sort out a few things. I replaced the battery and scrubbed the poo poo out of the seats today (they were pretty gross). Still have to locate a replacement driver's mirror, sort out a scary "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message, fix a hole in the tailgate :psyduck: and locate a drivers side seat spring, plus a couple other small parts. Think an alignment may be in my future as well. Don't suppose anyone knows of one of these being parted out or in a wrecking yard? We don't get U-Pull yards in Long Island. :(

Did you get a good deal on it or something? I mean, an Escalade? Really?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Black88GTA posted:

Don't suppose anyone knows of one of these being parted out or in a wrecking yard?

You don't have PMs; email me at username at gmail wouldja?

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I looked at Suburbans, but they were too plasticky. :( Besides, the Escalade was the only thing in my price range with the high output 6.0L. :colbert: I got a decent deal on it, not crazy good but better than the going rate for these anyway.

Splizwarf posted:

You don't have PMs; email me at username at gmail wouldja?

Done and done!

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, how dare he buy an Escalade.

:smuggo:

Should be a good vehicle once you get the problems worked out. The engine will last forever.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Put a new serpentine belt on my 2000 Wrangler. Three years of Texas summers and a hot under-hood environment were taking their toll on the old belt; the ribs were getting awfully deep and had started cracking.

After firing it back up I noticed that the A/C was short-cycling, but still blowing cold air; it hasn't been touched in twelve years so I gave it half a can of r134 (that's what got the pressure reading to nominal with the current outside temps) hoping that it hasn't sprung a leak. Working A/C isn't too important for me most of the time since I run with the doors off most of the time. It's nice to have for road trips, though; I get better mileage with the top all buttoned up and A/C blowing than top-off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

XCPuff posted:

Yeah, how dare he buy an Escalade.

:smuggo:

Should be a good vehicle once you get the problems worked out. The engine will last forever.

I was just playin'.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Worst case that is a really nice motor to put in something else when you get tired of looking like an old rich white man or a washed up rapper.

*cough* I know of a guy selling a rust free 89 comanche rolling shell for 300 bucks that NEEDS an LS/LT/Lwhatever motor put in it *cough*

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Doesn't really matter if SUVs are in style, nothing quite represents like an Escalade. I'm surprised they'd have to discount one of those things, much less be stuck selling it to someone who didn't really want it. On Long Island of all places. Even the aspirational trash has enough money round there.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I mounted this.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Black88GTA posted:

sort out a scary "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message

That's for the rear air suspension. Since it looks like it's jacked way up in the back, I'm going to guess either the suspension module took a poo poo or the exhaust valve is stuck closed.

A quick Google search suggests it's almost always the exhaust valve getting stuck, which is part of the compressor assembly. $500ish from GM, $200ish aftermarket, and it appears to be really easy to replace - it looks like it bolts to the drivers side frame rail, near the hose from the filler to the gas tank. Occasionally it's blown rear air shocks, but since it's jacked way up in the back, that kind of rules that out.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 9, 2012

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

ColHannibal posted:

I mounted this.

Classic set the car on fire fuel filter detected.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Some men just like to watch the world burn in the rearview mirror.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Hypnolobster posted:

Classic set the car on fire fuel filter detected.

Not like you can do much about it, I mean the car is so primitive it has a manual petcock under the dash where you switch the fuel tank from OFF-ON-RESERVE.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Traded an iPod nano for a complete detail with paint correction and sealant on my S4. The paint was in pretty good shape considering the car is a 2011, but the previous owner had it detailed by someone who obviously didn't know what they were doing, so there were some swirls and machine marks on the hood and elsewhere.

The difference is night & day, probably better than when it rolled off the showroom floor. It's hard to photograph, but it looks and feels so much better now. I need to take some better pics of this car now that it's lowered and on its new wheels.

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
So I did a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Is that a set of BMW 162's on the wall? What're they going on?