Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Hey that's not fair. They also wear the shirts when they drive their Harley-Davidson edition Ford F250s!

I wore my Harley shirt when I rode my friend's Genuine Stella.

astrollinthepork posted:

It's like mid 60s out and we're on an interstate. Why does he want to feel that wind? :psyduck:

What's wrong with wind, are you some sort of tragic wimp?

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

I feel like that should have been the name of Erik Buell's band: Erik Buell and the Tragic Wimps.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

I wore my Harley shirt when I rode my friend's Genuine Stella.
As a Stella salesman, I am fine with this.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

XYLOPAGUS posted:

I was half expecting him to go WOT in the puddle and eat it. Instead he just splashed himself.

Yeah, me too. Puddles have a way of collecting slimy algae.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

clutchpuck posted:

My beautiful skin gets dry!

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Chris Knight posted:

I am sorry to be the baron of bad news, but you seem buttered, so allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies, and are more than just ice king on the cake. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite.

So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids N'sync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality.

I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.

Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the fax, instead of making a half-harded effort. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it's a peach of cake.

You have peaked my interest.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Yesterday I was at a friends house helping him put in an in-ground pool. Two dudes pull in on motorcycles, one on a Harley V-Rod and the other on a beat to poo poo sport bike. The few remaining pieces of plastic were scarred with road rash, left foot peg ground almost all the way off. Just a small nub left. The shifter was a hose clamp holding a bent screwdriver. I saw two places on the frame that was fixed with J.B. Weld. Both mirrors were broken off.

While walking around this marvel of engineering and taking it all in, I saw fluid all over his front caliper and a puddle forming under his front tire.

Me: It looks like your leaking brake fluid
Him: Naw, that's just the shock oil. I blew the seals out two days ago, too many wheelies.
Me: :stare:

He then notices my XR650L

Him: That yours? How many times have you been down this year?
Me: Yes, and I haven't crashed any.
Him: Really? I've been down four times so far this year.
Me: :aaaaa:

Both of them were wearing shorts, t-shirts, tennis shoes and no helmets.

After they left, my buddy told me that one of the crashes left him in a coma for six weeks and that the V-Rod that the other dude was riding also belonged to him. I won't be surprised when I see his death on the news.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Him: That yours? How many times have you been down this year?
Me: Yes, and I haven't crashed any.
Him: Really? I've been down four times so far this year.
Me: :aaaaa:

I've never been down in 5+ years of riding (knock on wood) and neither has my wife (8+ years for her, again knock on wood) and I get that feeling reading this forum when you see certain people totaling several bikes in their first year so of riding. Man, if you crash that much just give it up. You're either the unluckiest person in the world, a lovely rider or both. But if you're crashy, give up riding.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

Bloody Queef posted:

Man, if you crash that much just give it up. You're either the unluckiest person in the world, a lovely rider or both. But if you're crashy, give up riding.

BUT IT FEELS SO GOOD :supaburn:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Bloody Queef posted:

But if you're crashy, give up riding.

Or just ride off road. Dirt is soft.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
The vibe I got from him seemed like he was bragging about it, like it was something to be proud of.

I've only been riding since January but even I can see this guy is going to be dead by the end of the year. We seem to be having a fatal motorcycle accident every week, usually on Saturday.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Biscuit Joiner posted:

The vibe I got from him seemed like he was bragging about it, like it was something to be proud of.

I've only been riding since January but even I can see this guy is going to be dead by the end of the year. We seem to be having a fatal motorcycle accident every week, usually on Saturday.

Well, think of it this way, normally beating someone up and breaking their arms is considered morally wrong, but in this case if you did it you'd be saving a guys life. So you are in a unique situation of being able to thrash this guy to within an inch of his life and still be a hero.

I was going to say maybe all the "crashes" were dropping the bike and that's why he wasn't in ATGATT but then I remembered the coma comment. Just hope his life insurance looks after his kids I guess?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Biscuit Joiner posted:

It's a bit like horse people saying you're not a proper horse rider until you've been thrown off a hundred times.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Squids.doc :allears:

It seems too me that there are a set of riders out there who honestly look at a motorcycle and instead of seeing a long cruise along a secluded ribbon of pavement in some remote forest they think;

"I wonder how far I could wheelie that thing"

These people will continue to provide us with endless youtube entertainment. God speed squids, God speed. Also; stay the hell off my commute, the accidents cause horrible gridlock.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

shipwrek posted:

Squids.doc :allears:

It seems too me that there are a set of riders out there who honestly look at a motorcycle and instead of seeing a long cruise along a secluded ribbon of pavement in some remote forest they think;

"I wonder how far I could wheelie that thing"

These people will continue to provide us with endless youtube entertainment. God speed squids, God speed. Also; stay the hell off my commute, the accidents cause horrible gridlock.

I love when people who would obviously be squids if they had a motorcycle ask me squiddly questions. Some dude in a cargo van in SW Philly (by the airport) asked me how fast I got my bike up to. I replied "oh only 55, the speed limit" and he looked really confused.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Some guy with long dreadlocks leaned out of his 22'ed Escalade to ask me if my Triumph was "as fast as the Ducati." I have no clue which Ducati he meant so I gave him a sly grin and nod.

I've been travelling in the heart of "T-shirt and jorts on your Harley bagger" country, my gear keep getting strange comments. White mesh jacket and pants, it's cooler than riding nekkid, but good luck explaining that. One guy looked at my baggy mesh pants tucked into my boots and asked "Where's the snowstorm?"

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Snowdens Secret posted:

One guy looked at my baggy mesh pants tucked into my boots and asked "Where's the snowstorm?"

Probably in the same place as your fashion sense.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
There are some vocally religious track day guys (announcing a prayer at the rider's meeting) who wear all white leathers, so that's the image I get. Holy Rider!

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

Some guy with long dreadlocks leaned out of his 22'ed Escalade to ask me if my Triumph was "as fast as the Ducati." I have no clue which Ducati he meant so I gave him a sly grin and nod.

I've been travelling in the heart of "T-shirt and jorts on your Harley bagger" country, my gear keep getting strange comments. White mesh jacket and pants, it's cooler than riding nekkid, but good luck explaining that. One guy looked at my baggy mesh pants tucked into my boots and asked "Where's the snowstorm?"

Granted, that snippy comment is loving hilarious.

And mesh is for pussies. Ride a full day in the summer heat in leather. It's awesome.

Just kidding. I have the REV'IT hybrid leather/mesh/textile gear and it's awesome for summer.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It's a Rev'it Airwave jacket and pants, not some weird white leather angel suit. I know I look moon-man goofy as hell but I'm comfy and safe.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Gullous posted:

There are some vocally religious track day guys (announcing a prayer at the rider's meeting) who wear all white leathers, so that's the image I get. Holy Rider!
What Would Jesus Ride?

Not a Suzuki, I'll tell you that much

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

What Would Jesus Ride?

Not a Suzuki, I'll tell you that much

Suzuki: Too cool for Jesus

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

JC likes 'em low and slow, with the front end kicked out just a bit. And as you can see, he has his own brand, thanks. Oh, and his own line of anti-safety gear.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Loud pipes; savior lives.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

darkhand posted:

Loud pipes; savior lives.

Ah, the rare double bordering on triple pun. Why...why there's only one other wordsmith in all the land capable of the triple. No...it...it can't be. DARKHAND!!!

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

Your full face helmet will break your neck in a crash!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Safetyland posted:

Gonna die in a crash anyway. Might as well make it quick :shepface:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Live fast, die young, leave a horribly mangled corpse! That's my motto!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Safetyland posted:

Had an actual doctor tell me that. There's a tiny grain of truth, the first polycarb lids in the 70s had a tendency to cause basal skull fractures if you went down face-first hard enough, but in an open-face lid the thing stopping that is that your face becomes a crumple zone. Obviously modern lids are rather better designed, including getting rid of the lip at the back of the neck that was supposed to protect your c-spine but instead acted like a guillotine.

Also had a non-biker tell me that crash helmets are mandatory because they'll kill you outright rather than leave you as a vegetable, saving the NHS money (he said the same thing about seat belts, and his explanation for the drop in death rates was that people knew this and so got into less crashes).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also had a non-biker tell me that crash helmets are mandatory because they'll kill you outright rather than leave you as a vegetable, saving the NHS money (he said the same thing about seat belts, and his explanation for the drop in death rates was that people knew this and so got into less crashes).

Weird. The people I've encountered who don't wear a helmet say the exact opposite: they don't wear them because if they crash they want to be killed instantly rather than risk ending up as a vegetable in a wheelchair. At least those people are somewhat correct (yes, you definitely are much more likely to be killed instantly), I guess?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That theory makes me IRL mad, as I have a friend who is a parapalegic from a motorcycle accident, and one of the biggest breakthroughs he had was realizing that it would have been far worse to die in the accident, and compared to death, being a parapalegic isnt so bad.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Also they are much, much more likely to end up as a vegetable not wearing a helmet than with one, even with the increased deathiness. I don't get their train of thought at all.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Bondematt posted:

Also they are much, much more likely to end up as a vegetable not wearing a helmet than with one, even with the increased deathiness. I don't get their train of thought at all.

"I'm justifying the fact I don't want to wear a helmet to myself." :downs:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bondematt posted:

No, he believed crash helmets were literally designed to kill people. Something to do with extra weight on the head that the neck wasn't designed to deal with, IIRC. I do remember the seatbelt thing was that the belt sat directly over the heart and so would crush the ribcage and pierce the lungs and heart. He was a... fairly unique guy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Ah, the one I always heard about seatbelts was that they would slice you in half. ESPECIALLY if the seatbelt was twisted, so if you were going to foolishly wear one, for God's sake don't let it get twisted! (that part may have some validity, smaller area over which the force is applied and all that)

I wonder what kind of pathology makes people come up with these ideas? Like the well-known "fact" that the head-down position they make you take in an airplane before a crash is designed to kill you instantly so the airline doesn't have to pay out a lifetime of rehabilitation costs, for instance.

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!
It seems like those kinds of people think that accidents happen only in certain ways, and therefore the injuries are somewhat predictable. ("If you get hit in the head, it will be hard enough to break your neck if you're wearing a helmet, but not hard enough to give you brain damage if you aren't. Therefore, don't wear a helmet.") There's so many ways to crash, and so many variables, that I'm sure there's ways to sustain major injuries without taking any hits to the helmet. For example, I had an uncle that hit a front end loader and had his arm ripped off and bled to death. A helmet wouldn't have saved him. Whenever someone uses the "I know a guy that..." just remember they're blinded by confirmation bias, as that thing happened to 100% of riders they know (1 of 1). Same goes for doctors and the "donorcycles" line, they never see the riders that weren't injured.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Just put on your helmet and challenge them to run flat out into the nearest wall with you.

I had the reverse of this thread-premise today, but as there isn't a "Overheard thoughtful and generally wise motorcycle related poo poo thread" it's going in here as ballast:

My friend has decided he wants a motorcycle, mostly for transport, and announced as such on his facebook. He asked if a Bandit 600 was too much bike and after a while talked himself down to a Ninja 250.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Actually, having ridden a B6 for a while, I'd say it's a lot easier to ride than an SV650, which a lot of people tend to recommend. The weight and height can be an issue but it was far more tame than my SV ever was and you can probably find one cheaper than an SV or 250 too. But good on your friend; it's better than wanting to leap into a GSXR600 like my ex did after two months of crashing and neglect on her 250 (which now fortunately has a much better and more responsible owner)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

My friend has decided he wants a motorcycle, mostly for transport, and announced as such on his facebook. He asked if a Bandit 600 was too much bike and after a while talked himself down to a Ninja 250.

Funny thing is, the more responsible people who do things like talk themselves into a 250 are the kinds of people that do just fine starting on a 600-class (non super-sport) bike. By the sound of it he could almost certainly do well on a Bandit 600.

I almost did this to myself, but am really glad I went with a Ninja 650 instead of a 250. I very nearly convinced myself that I couldn't responsibly handle anything more than a 250 and was soooo close to buying a 250. But my older, responsible, ATTGAT (BMW and Triumph touring guys mostly) coworkers did a good job assuaging my fears so I started looking for an SV650/Ninja 650/FZ6. A super mint 06 Ninja 650 popped up for a fair price and I pounced on it and have loved every minute of it. It's just about as forgiving and nimble as the Ninja 250 I've ridden, but has a way more pleasant low-mid powerband with smooth and predictable power delivery with way more guts on tap if you really ask for it.

I still like the 250 as a bike and all, but I do feel like I'll be content with the 650 for a lot longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah, where we live the speed limit is 35mph, so the 250 really is more than enough. That said, I think he would be able to handle one of the tamer 600-ish bikes without incident; he's technically minded and mechanically sympathetic, he's no stranger to clutch balancing and shifting since he can potter around on a dirt bike no problem.

I found the B6 a little heavy, but very comfortable and serene, nice for commuting. The first time I hit the power band was a wake up call though. Coming from a big single I was just whirring around at 3-7krpm at first, then I noticed how far I was from redline and decided to see what the rest of the rev range was like, holy poo poo.

• Locked thread