Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there a good army list maker on android? I tried battle scribe but it doesn't have any GW anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Where is Richyp with our precious Bodger updates? :(

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I saw on the previous page that assault marines in Rhinos is a bad idea. What would you recommend for a delivery system for the A.Marines? Should I just consider them as starting on foot, or make them deep striking?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's not terrible per se but Assault Marines are best off as a jumping unit really. I still want to try the plasma option though just to see how it plays out. My shits n giggles 1000 points 2 Land Raider list has 20 ASM in those 2 Land Raiders. Just so you understand, Assault Marines aren't actually good at assault, but their special draw compared to Tacs in Codex BA is that they're scoring and can carry two special weapons as opposed to the Tacticals 1 special and 1 heavy. Also Tacticals lack Combat Tactics in Codex BA which makes them terrible.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Ashcans posted:

I am trying to work out how psychic powers word for Eldar in the new edition. According to the FAQ, Farseers count as Mastery level 1, so they generate 1 warp charge every turn, correct? How does this interact with Spirit Stones (or Eldrad's staff)? In the previous edition these items simply allowed them to cast an additional spell - what does that mean now? Does buying the Spirit Stone simply count as a Mastery bump, does it let them cast a second power free, or does it provide them the opportunity to cast an additional power as long as they have the warp charge to do so as well (which I don't see any way for)?

The FAQ doesn't seem to say anything about Spirit Stones except for a single enigmatic line that Eldrad's Mastery 3 'includes' his. Does anyone have any real idea how this is supposed to work?

Your farseer becomes mastery level 2 with spirit stones. Meaning you have two warp charges to spend a turn. Each spell costs 1 warp charge unless otherwise stated. The only spell they have access to that costs 2 warp charges is hallucination anyhow.

Edit: oh and invisibility

Box wine fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 9, 2012

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Hmmm. So what would your recommendation be for how I should tailor my army to be effective, as well as fun. I haven't played since 4th, and even then, it was only my Tau vs my friends IG Armored company, so I don't have the much experience with Marines. My intention was to make an army that tends to get up close and personal with the other army.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Box wine posted:

Your farseer becomes mastery level 2 with spirit stones. Meaning you have two warp charges to spend a turn. Each spell costs 1 warp charge unless otherwise stated. The only spell they have access to that costs 2 warp charges is hallucination anyhow.

Edit: oh and invisibility

Thanks, that's the way that I was hoping it would work!

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

jadebullet posted:

I saw on the previous page that assault marines in Rhinos is a bad idea. What would you recommend for a delivery system for the A.Marines? Should I just consider them as starting on foot, or make them deep striking?

I don't know if I completely agree with that. Assault marines armed with dual plasma/melta would be just as effective until the ride gets blown up, then they just shoot/assault normally. Just don't ever get out on your own, make them waste the shots to get three glances.

Basically play like guard but you are less likely to die during explosions. :v:

Jumpers are probably still effective, but will die a bit faster now with all the extra longer range anti infantry shooting flying around.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
My buddy plays vanilla marines and wants some help at the 2K/1 FOC level. I'm used to playing orks and while I can provide suggestions any advice you guys can prvoide would be appreciated. So what works and what doesn't for vanilla SM in 6th?

Also if anyone is in the DC area and wants to get in on a tournament the Bowie Battle Bunker is hosting a pre-NOVA tournmanet this Saturday. Doors open at 10, registration is at 10:30, and the tournament is slated to start around 11. I'll be there in my grey NOVA shirt helping run the thing. We're going to try and use the same style of missions as the NOVA itself will use. I want to say the cost is like $10. I'm not the TO but I'm trying to get involved and lend a hand since I'm the scoremaster for NOVA itself.

Rules will be:

2000 Points, 1 FOC (Call it 1999 with an option to go 1 over if you want)
Allies permitted
Aegis Defense Line and Bastion Permitted
Aegis Defense Line must be deployed as a single unbroken line

EDIT: I was mistaken on the last item. My bad.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 9, 2012

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

moths posted:

Is there a good army list maker on android? I tried battle scribe but it doesn't have any GW anything.

Battlescribe works with Data Repositories to make army lists. You just have to find the right XML file to load into the program (I think this is under Manage Sources or something). There's a pretty big group of repositories here. Just copy the location of the XML file into the program and you should be good.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

jadebullet posted:

Hmmm. So what would your recommendation be for how I should tailor my army to be effective, as well as fun. I haven't played since 4th, and even then, it was only my Tau vs my friends IG Armored company, so I don't have the much experience with Marines. My intention was to make an army that tends to get up close and personal with the other army.

It's in their fluff but when you look at the actual units you realize that BA don't really have too many units that are good at assaulting.

Good: Death Company, Assault Terminators
Decent: Assault Marines, Sanguiary Guard, Vanguard Vets
The latter are extremely expensive as jumpers sadly, as are DC. What you do get in this army is easy access to feel no pain which is awesome for Terminators.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Deviant posted:

Buy an Immolator. Then buy a Space Marine whirlwind missile launcher upgrade sprue. Bash the two together until an exorcist comes out:

(This has the exorcist side plates/chair, but you can use Immolator bits just as well)

I'm not big on kit bashing, and to be honest, I am more limited by points than money, and to be honest, for $4.50 more, I'll go with an all metal recoculous pipe organ of doom! Plus, I feel something that over the top fits right in with the 3rd Street Saints theme.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

numerrik posted:

I'm not big on kit bashing, and to be honest, I am more limited by points than money, and to be honest, for $4.50 more, I'll go with an all metal recoculous pipe organ of doom! Plus, I feel something that over the top fits right in with the 3rd Street Saints theme.

The organ kit is drat near impossible to assemble, still has huge gaps, and generally looks like poo poo. They look like crap in person.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Aegis Defense Line must be deployed as a single unbroken line

Stop loving house ruling things in a game that's been out a week! :mad:

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Deviant posted:

no but you see if you can field the wall as 4 walls than this would be imbalanced for 50 points because

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
I feel like running some units that may or may not be terrible in the games I play (around 1000 points), unfortunately I have no idea as I've yet to buy (and use) them. Can someone tell me if these are any good, especially with the new edition?

Havocs with Autocannons
Raptors with Meltaguns
Cronos Parasite Engine with a Spirit Vortex
Scourges with Haywire Blasters

No allies, if that matters.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Phyresis posted:

no but you see if you can field the wall as 4 walls than this would be imbalanced for 50 points because

And the skyshield landing pad and fortress are unbalanced because

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Sykic posted:

I feel like running some units that may or may not be terrible in the games I play (around 1000 points), unfortunately I have no idea as I've yet to buy (and use) them. Can someone tell me if these are any good, especially with the new edition?

Havocs with Autocannons
Raptors with Meltaguns

No allies, if that matters.

Havocs should be better at light tank popping now, still expensive though.
Raptors with meltaguns are 120 points to suicide charge a vehicle and blow it up and then die.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

probably cause no one has really tested anything properly

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I haven't picked up my rulebook yet but from idle forum chatter, am I wrong to assume Fish of Fury is functional again?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

ijyt posted:

I haven't picked up my rulebook yet but from idle forum chatter, am I wrong to assume Fish of Fury is functional again?

yes it's even worse

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

FrickenMoron posted:

Raptors with meltaguns are 120 points to suicide charge a vehicle and blow it up and then die.

So more effective than most Chaos units then? :v: The other option is plasma guns, but GW dice seem to have an awful habit of rolling 1s a lot more often than I'd like.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Phyresis posted:

yes it's even worse

Wait, I'm having an off day today. Worse for the Tau or worse for the opponent?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

ijyt posted:

Wait, I'm having an off day today. Worse for the Tau or worse for the opponent?

Fish of Fury is terrible. The best way to play Tau is with a ton of Crisis Suits and Broadsides with a lot of points invested in a decent ally with actual Troops, like Orks.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Deviant posted:

I've house ruled out the Fortress not because of balance concerns but because it's huge and therefore a loving pig to use on tournament tables where you can't work the terrain around it easily.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Corrode posted:

I've house ruled out the Fortress not because of balance concerns but because it's huge and therefore a loving pig to use on tournament tables where you can't work the terrain around it easily.

The only rule I'd use for that monstrousity is if you're fielding it you better drat well supply it yourself (and painted). There's no way I'd keep any of those onhand assembled.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Deviant posted:

My mistake. There was a miscommunication between me and the TO about that. Players can use the ADL as per the rules. We're still figuring all this crap out just like everyone else.

Deviant posted:

NOVA uses a fixed terrain system, and the Skyshield and Fortress are huge and won't fit on the table.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

NOVA uses a fixed terrain system, and the Skyshield and Fortress are huge and won't fit on the table.

I figured that was the case, and that's slightly disappointing because the Skyshield Landing Pad is the best :( I've given up on the ADL and Bastion but I think the Skyshield is worth the points.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

Well since terrain is now placed in alternating sequence

PierreTheMime posted:

The only rule I'd use for that monstrousity is if you're fielding it you better drat well supply it yourself (and painted). There's no way I'd keep any of those onhand assembled.

Of course. It is part of your army you better loving bring one.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Naramyth posted:

Not in a tournament it isn't.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Naramyth posted:

Does anyone actually do this? In every game I've ever played we've just set up the terrain, said "Yep, looks good to me." and that was it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

SRM posted:

Does anyone actually do this? In every game I've ever played we've just set up the terrain, said "Yep, looks good to me." and that was it.

This is called "Narrative Terrain" and is in the book now, heh. Me and OB_Juan did an alternating terrain setup game yesterday. It turned out pretty neat.

Cataphract posted:

probably cause no one has really tested anything properly

We test things by banning them!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

S.J. posted:

Not in a tournament it isn't.

Then you're not playing by the rules. No reason anyone shouldn't be allowed to take SSP or Fortress just because it doesn't fit into your tournament *~SAFESPACE~*.

Naramyth posted:

Of course. It is part of your army you better loving bring one.

Also this.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 9, 2012

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Deviant posted:

Then you're not playing by the rules. No reason anyone shouldn't be allowed to take SSP or Fortress just because it doesn't fit into your tournament *~SAFESPACE~*.

Tournaments define how their terrain is handled, not the rulebook. And why did you even quote me I didn't say anything about fortifications.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

S.J. posted:

Tournaments define how their terrain is handled, not the rulebook. And why did you even quote me I didn't say anything about fortifications.

I quoted you because you referred to tournaments using terrain setup that are directly incompatible with 6E rules.

All terrain pieces are legal army choices per the BRB, and there's no reason I shouldn't be able to use them.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

S.J. posted:

You're only saying that because that's how you think tournaments should be run. There's nothing sacred about terrain setup that makes it more necessary to ignore the rulebook than any other part.

Tournaments can houserule all they want, but when they do it because they're afraid of new things rather than things actually being unbalancing it's dumb. Banning the Skyshield pad or allies is no more valid than banning special characters or Grey Knights.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Deviant posted:

I quoted you because you referred to tournaments using terrain setup that are directly incompatible with 6E rules.

What a stupid post. Are you trying to suggest that before every round at a tournament the players should roll a d3 for every 2x2 section of the table and set up terrain accordingly? Have you ever ran a tournament before? You do realize that the terrain setup rules in the BRB have never mattered, ever, for tournaments other than giving a general guidelines for how much terrain should be on any given board?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

If I spend 220 pts to add a fortress to my list, and you tell me I can't use a choice out of the base rule book, you are playing wrong. I am playing 40k, and you are playing safespace-houserule-game. It's no different then telling me I can't take an allied detachment.

If tournaments need to change their terrain setup rules to accomodate, that's not my loving problem now is it?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, there's no real difference between saying "you can't bring your FoC terrain" and "you can't bring your Rune Priest".

If you need to move some pre-placed terrain to fit it on the table, well you have hands don't you ?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Deviant posted:

If I spend 220 pts to add a fortress to my list, and you tell me I can't use a choice out of the base rule book, you are playing wrong. I am playing 40k, and you are playing safespace-houserule-game. It's no different then telling me I can't take an allied detachment.

If tournaments need to change their terrain setup rules to accomodate, that's not my loving problem now is it?

I never loving said any of those things? Also, it absolutely is your problem if you plan on playing in the tournament! At that point, it is the problem of everyone organizing the tournament and everyone who is playing in it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

S.J. posted:

I never loving said any of those things? Also, it absolutely is your problem if you plan on playing in the tournament! At that point, it is the problem of everyone organizing the tournament and everyone who is playing in it.

No, it's the problem of the organizers to modify their setup to fit the game rules. The book dictates the rules, not the TO. Or is what you meant by 'the tournament' actually 'MY tournament'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Forgeworld has updated Apocalypse for 6th edition

• Locked thread