Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Here's the Evo Injustice video if you missed it and are interested in seeing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utJVXUaI84c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kaujot posted:

Here's the Evo Injustice video if you missed it and are interested in seeing it.

Editors Note: Game not suitable for those looking for competitive play or smooth animations.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

jackofarcades posted:

Yeah... good point. Just think it would be useful for everyone to know more how dumb they are.

welcome to 2 years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpwVQ43SUOE

edit: also "bowl of soul" et al

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 9, 2012

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

bleep posted:

Please stop giving them attention.

EMP spouts some bullshit but makes sense. MLG is more lucrative, period.

Not that any of this matters, with the polar shift in audience and quality of games we've seen in FGs lately.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

kaujot posted:

Ed Boon doesn't understand anything about fighting games. He cares more about his stupid destructible stages than talking about how the game actually works. From watching this video the only thing I know about Injustice is EACH ARENA HAS A DIFFERENT-DIFFERENT PALLETTE OF UM OBJECTS FOR EACH WARRIOR TO UM UTILIZE. Okay, so how many buttons is the game? How does the meter system work? Do the characters have actual normals or is it just canned strings MK9-style? And these long-rear end loving cutscenes are gonna get old really fast.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
It's going to be a terrible competitive game (and that is really obviously not what they're aiming for so if you complain about that you are dumb) but it looks like a total blast to get drunk and play with your buddies.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Yeah, I don't know why they bothered to reveal it at EVO, the game looks like trash, but it will probably be ok to mash on buttons with your buddies who don't play fighting games I guess.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
These are pretty much the exact same things people said when MK9 was revealed.

I would at least expect the possibility of it being competitive.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Only problem I can see with Injustice is that (from what we saw) some of the characters just don't have the oomph of others. Capcom's VS series have always done a pretty good job of making all the characters look suitably impressive even though in terms of actual "power levels" Ryu would never have a chance against Blackheart or whatever. Like how shinkuus in the VS series become beams of energy, the shinryuken has a pillar of fire dragons, the hurricane kick super has an actual hurricane complete with gusts of wind and lightning bolts, etc. Even Frank West's hyper combos manage to have a meaty feel to them as he hits you with a gallon of orange juice.

Meanwhile in Injustice you have the Flash becoming one with the Speed Force and punching people at the speed of light while Batman just kinda hits people hard. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if the game looked like it had anything to rely on other than the eye candy aspect of "oh my gawd this is so cool, I'm playing as Batman fighting Superman."

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Waterbed posted:

These are pretty much the exact same things people said when MK9 was revealed.

I would at least expect the possibility of it being competitive.

Netherrealms were really pushing MK9 as a competitive thing though, like they were talking about how they had the tournament mode kode and brought in competitive gamers to help balance it. Obviously we haven't seen that much of Injustice yet but so far it seems more "hey check it out you can punch the Flash through a skyscraper!!"

I mean just look at the win poses and tell me this isn't DC Fan Service: The Game.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

AXE COP posted:

Netherrealms were really pushing MK9 as a competitive thing though, like they were talking about how they had the tournament mode kode and brought in competitive gamers to help balance it. Obviously we haven't seen that much of Injustice yet but so far it seems more "hey check it out you can punch the Flash through a skyscraper!!"

I mean just look at the win poses and tell me this isn't DC Fan Service: The Game.

And, no matter how legit or good it is, it will still be crushed by the opposing established brand, no matter how poorly it's performing apparently. In addition to that the market was/is so saturated with stuff.

I tried to think of a single reason to watch Evo this year and I couldn't. Oh well...

Holding out hope for TTT2 after that I have no idea what people as a whole or anyone I know would be interested in.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wezlar posted:

Yeah, I don't know why they bothered to reveal it at EVO

Because everyone there are the "kings of fighters".

Ed Boon should probably never be the guy to showcase the game ever again, but he's going to be the only one to do it until release anyway.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
As a competitive game it actually has a ton of problems, but as DC fan service game it looks loving amazing. It looks like its going to be a ton of fun. Its just too bad that there's all this environment stuff. It still looks really cool, but not Tournament worthy. I still think this will take MK's place unless the MK community rallies hard again.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Why all the hate for the environment aspects? None of it looked randomized which is what's inherently anti-competitive, it all requires player interaction rather than having the Batmobile drive into the foreground and eat a dude every 5-30 seconds. Stage imbalance is inevitable but having 3(?) different areas per stage that you can move between mitigates it some and if that was enough to kill a game Starcraft 1/2 would have been dead on arrival. Not saying it's going to be the competitive Mecca but I'd rather hate on it for having slow/bland gameplay rather than attacking whatever looks different.

(T-28 days to Polarity explaining how crates/barrels ruined Street Fighter 2)

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

This is the worst official arcade stickart I've ever seen

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

I'm a Fighter :downs:

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

dane cook torrent posted:

And, no matter how legit or good it is, it will still be crushed by the opposing established brand, no matter how poorly it's performing apparently. In addition to that the market was/is so saturated with stuff.

I tried to think of a single reason to watch Evo this year and I couldn't. Oh well...

Holding out hope for TTT2 after that I have no idea what people as a whole or anyone I know would be interested in.

I don't know if it will be crushed. MkvDC didn't do too poorly, and with the new Batman and Superman films being released and some decent marketing it will sell pretty well based only on the fact its famous superheroes doing stupid/cool poo poo.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Hopefully they'll have the foresight to include a tournament mode that will allow you to turn off the interactive elements. Or at least have a "final destination" stage.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Mio Bison posted:

Why all the hate for the environment aspects? None of it looked randomized which is what's inherently anti-competitive, it all requires player interaction rather than having the Batmobile drive into the foreground and eat a dude every 5-30 seconds. Stage imbalance is inevitable but having 3(?) different areas per stage that you can move between mitigates it some and if that was enough to kill a game Starcraft 1/2 would have been dead on arrival. Not saying it's going to be the competitive Mecca but I'd rather hate on it for having slow/bland gameplay rather than attacking whatever looks different.

To be fair, though, Starcraft 1 and 2 maps are meticulously balanced and constantly revised (I know the Korean SC1 league, at least, had people who they employed as professional map makers) and even then you still get a bunch that are skewed in the favor of one race or another. I agree that it's not an inherently flawed concept but compared to the alternative (flat plane) it adds another aspect that could potentially be another balancing nightmare in a genre where balance is already hard to achieve.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

interrodactyl posted:

I'll be starting Goonbats Season 2 after I look at how badly everyone lost points in their guesses for Evo Top 8 playouts.

I think you mean how many points I win because I'm literally the best :smug:

xan!
Aug 17, 2004

by elpintogrande

Cat Machine posted:

What company is behind this loving travesty? Hori?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Yup. That's their Soul Calibur 5 stick. Enjoy your $120 stick with awful art.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

interrodactyl posted:

I'll be starting Goonbats Season 2 after I look at how badly everyone lost points in their guesses for Evo Top 8 playouts.

FChamp winning Marvel gives the 3 most painful seed points ever.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Holy poo poo I'm at my local bar fights and they have Tech Romancer. :aaa:

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Mio Bison posted:

Why all the hate for the environment aspects? None of it looked randomized which is what's inherently anti-competitive, it all requires player interaction rather than having the Batmobile drive into the foreground and eat a dude every 5-30 seconds.

Well, for one thing, the stage gimmicks are not symmetrical, so it matters whether you're P1 or P2.

scrooger
Feb 26, 2006

Mio Bison posted:

I know this is a joke but barrels/crates didn't actually do anything in sf did they? Thought that was solely aesthetics.

Also, shame pol was banned for the end of the evo thread. Lots of posts were really bad that I would have enjoyed him calling out :(

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
My buddy plays two kinds of games: Resident Evil and fighting games.

He learned to mesh these two things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twpA1wPrm7E&hd=1

His PSN id is residentevilrulz if anybody's interested in playing/talking with him there, too.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the wesker stuff was cool, the chris was awesome

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
One big thing was that, while MK9 at least pretended to "get" competitive players even when it failed miserably at doing so (like the recording feature of Training Mode), Injustice doesn't even make a passing attempt at looking like a game in which people will want to devote any sort of non-negligible time or effort into.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I know this thread outlaws Smash Bros conversation, but could we make an exception this one time? It's for Project: M, a mod that turns Smash Bros the party game, into Smash Bros, a serviceable and functioning fighting game.

Specifically, I'd like to give a special shout-out to Lucario, who the designers have elected to reimagine as a Street Fighter character. To start he has a hurricane kick and shoryuken in his moveset, but the parallels run deeper than that. Rather than traditionally 'smashing' a player for massive damage and distance, the game encourages cancelling and comboing Lucario's moves into each other in rapid succession (dubbed magic series), rewarding combos with special finishing moves (as a voluntary button command rather than a random item drop of course).

Watch this to get an idea of what I'm talking about.
I'm sure you've all seen combo videos before, but dare I say it; with all of these moves so close and continuous it's a beginning to look like a traditional fighter.

True fact: the player above fights with an upside-down Gamecube controller.

It's as traditional as it can get without completely changing the rules of the game. Allow me to snap my fingers in your face and remind you that this all inside a game as polarizing as Smash Bros. It's asynchronous for sure, but the two styles of gameplay make an interesting blend, and most impressively tournament results are proving him to be as balanced as every other character. What a neat and unexpected thing.

If any of this interests you then check out any of the frequent developer streams on Twitch.tv, or visit the official Project: M homepage. There is also an IGN wiki page.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Nah I'm good.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

F. Lobot posted:

I know this thread outlaws Smash Bros conversation, but could we make an exception this one time?

No.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
how many Fun Points will i receive if i play this game

Futanari Rastafari
Apr 19, 2004

New Sincerity Posting

absolutely anything posted:

how many Fun Points will i receive if i play this game

Keep up the smarmy comments and you will be well on your way to a Yellow Card.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Futanari Rastafari posted:

Keep up the smarmy comments and you will be well on your way to a Yellow Card.

By then the league of extraordinary gentlemen will be disbanded though, and no yellow card will stop this man from being smarmy ever again. We're hosed.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So when is the Smash community gonna claim that MUGEN is a legit tournament game once you ban 99% of all characters made for it?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

F. Lobot posted:

I know this thread outlaws Smash Bros conversation, but could we make an exception this one time?

Oh awesome, another attempt to shoehorn smash into something it's not supposed to be.

:getout:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Even in the off chance that somebody thinks that Smash would be appropriate for a tournament, nobody wants the smell of Smash players.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

AnonSpore posted:

Only problem I can see with Injustice is that (from what we saw) some of the characters just don't have the oomph of others. Capcom's VS series have always done a pretty good job of making all the characters look suitably impressive even though in terms of actual "power levels" Ryu would never have a chance against Blackheart or whatever. Like how shinkuus in the VS series become beams of energy, the shinryuken has a pillar of fire dragons, the hurricane kick super has an actual hurricane complete with gusts of wind and lightning bolts, etc. Even Frank West's hyper combos manage to have a meaty feel to them as he hits you with a gallon of orange juice.

Meanwhile in Injustice you have the Flash becoming one with the Speed Force and punching people at the speed of light while Batman just kinda hits people hard. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if the game looked like it had anything to rely on other than the eye candy aspect of "oh my gawd this is so cool, I'm playing as Batman fighting Superman."

Batman's main thing are his gadgets which I thought were well represented in that video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Broken Loose posted:

Even in the off chance that somebody thinks that Smash would be appropriate for a tournament, nobody wants the smell of Smash players.

To be fair, the hygiene in most majors leaves much to be desired.

In other words, we share a common trait :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread