Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
404, buddy, you shame me. I gush about these guys too much for you to not check them.

http://robot4less.com/turn-a-gundam-1100-mg?filter_name=Turn%20a
They have a 20% off all MGs coupon code on their facebook page right now, so save :10bux: off that too ( and/or get more and get free shipping too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

Goddammit, I finally decide to get off my rear end and get MG Turn A and everybody's out of stock. HLJ, AmiAmi, GundamStore, Hobbysearch, ToyArena, everyfuckingbody. And for some reason BBTS and GG Infinite don't even have it listed in the first place. It's like Bandai's placed the entire western hemisphere under a Mustache Embargo after cancelling the DVDs.

So... is it worth waiting the month and a half for the hope of a probable restock, or move onto one of the other kits I've always been meaning to get (In this case, either 00 Raiser or Unicorn Ver. OVA)?

PM me if nothing shakes loose; I have one new in box that I'm not going to get around to for a LONG time.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

SpikeMcclane posted:

404, buddy, you shame me. I gush about these guys too much for you to not check them.

http://robot4less.com/turn-a-gundam-1100-mg?filter_name=Turn%20a
They have a 20% off all MGs coupon code on their facebook page right now, so save :10bux: off that too ( and/or get more and get free shipping too).

That was actually one of the first places I tried, it shows the "this isn't in stock" stars after you actually add it to the cart.

(Nevermind that they usually charge 10-30 bucks over everyone else and would therefore be useless without the coupons. I mean, 97 loving dollars for 00 Raiser, really?)

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 19, 2012

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Do yourself a favour and get a Harry Ord Sumo instead, way cooler

:c00lbert:

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Nasgate posted:

Do yourself a favour and get a Harry Ord Sumo instead, way cooler

:c00lbert:

If you know where to get MG Turn-A suits that aren't the Turn-A, I'd really love to know.

Still waiting patiently for a half-decent Kapool/Capule kit. It was in Unicorn, that's good enough, right?!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Silentman0 posted:

If you know where to get MG Turn-A suits that aren't the Turn-A, I'd really love to know.

Still waiting patiently for a half-decent Kapool/Capule kit. It was in Unicorn, that's good enough, right?!

Sorry, but I don't :(. Unless you count in my dreams, but those are usually RG sets.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
I don't know why you aren't just saving up for the ultimate mobile suit, the Hammurabi! I seriously can't get over how excited I am about it.

On another note, the drat weather has been so muggy and hot up here the past few days I'm afraid to try painting anything. I really hope things get a bit more conducive to me wasting my time soon.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So do you guys know if you can buy replacement parts for Soul of Chogokin sets? After a few moves, I've realized that my Getter Robo set is missing a couple pieces. (G1s right fist and a weird piece that is basically a small version of Bear that attaches to leg units)

Am I destined to forever only have open and grabbing hands on Getter 1?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Nasgate posted:

So do you guys know if you can buy replacement parts for Soul of Chogokin sets? After a few moves, I've realized that my Getter Robo set is missing a couple pieces. (G1s right fist and a weird piece that is basically a small version of Bear that attaches to leg units)

Am I destined to forever only have open and grabbing hands on Getter 1?

Depends on how old the set is. I suppose you can try to contact Bluefin, though, but I think they only replace parts for figure that have their sticker on the box. Could be wrong though, but it can't hurt to try. Here's their website.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Yeah, I just now bothered to check the box and look it up, I'm pretty sure no one has any GX-06 spare plastic parts...

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
I need some advice, and I figure this thread is the best place to ask.

So I got the Maxgokin Genesic GaoGaiGar as a gift, and I'm a little intimidated by the thing, since I've my previous robot toy experience is mostly limited to the SRW model kits and a few Revoltechs and Robot Spirits. From what I've read, the thing is a bit infamous for being fragile. (it's the version 1.5, for reference)

Some of the interchangeable parts are very stiff and hard to remove, and I'm currently trying to change one of it's arm pieces but I don't think I can remove the thing without using a tool of some sort. Does anyone have any suggestions on not breaking this thing? I could post pictures of exactly what I'm having trouble with if that'd help.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lobsterman posted:

I need some advice, and I figure this thread is the best place to ask.

So I got the Maxgokin Genesic GaoGaiGar as a gift, and I'm a little intimidated by the thing, since I've my previous robot toy experience is mostly limited to the SRW model kits and a few Revoltechs and Robot Spirits. From what I've read, the thing is a bit infamous for being fragile. (it's the version 1.5, for reference)

Some of the interchangeable parts are very stiff and hard to remove, and I'm currently trying to change one of it's arm pieces but I don't think I can remove the thing without using a tool of some sort. Does anyone have any suggestions on not breaking this thing? I could post pictures of exactly what I'm having trouble with if that'd help.

put it in the fridge for 30 min so the softer parts shrink.

I always do this when I first get a figma so that i dont break anything before I figure out how i want to pose it.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
The hot water / freezer tricks only work on that type of plastic. Other plastics can can lead to horrible, busted results.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpikeMcclane posted:

The hot water / freezer tricks only work on that type of plastic. Other plastics can can lead to horrible, busted results.

thats hot water or freezing. Im just talking about chilling. You can do it on metal too.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
My girlfriend recently spent a few days in Tokyo and given i'm a model robot nerd went to GFT and brought back this

I need paint suggestions, white and red gets a bit old, and given this dwarfs my MG's (built and panel lined a leg, looked pretty close to the size of my Astray Red Frame Ver. Ka) i would like it to not be so bland.

Yes i am new, yes i chose here to strategically try and avoid the newbie nonsense post hate.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Honestly, paint it however you want. There's all kinds of ways to go about it. Do you want an official paint-scheme, but one that isn't the regular old Red, White and Blue (with yellow)? There's always the Roll-Out Colors, the "Real-Type" colors, or the G3 colors. Have a favorite ace pilot? Paint it in their scheme (Ramba Ral blue, Char red, Black Tri-Stars purple, etc.). Maybe paint it in a scheme that belongs to a completely different Gundam, like Titans Gundam Mk. II dark blue and black or Victory 2 Gundam blue and gold. I've seen RX-78's in every color you can imagine, from black to camouflage green to metallics like silver and gold. Sky's the limit, really.

I can't say there's one source I draw inspiration from. Once I painted an F91 gold because I like the Hyaku Shiki's paint-scheme. Another time I attempted a candy coat clear-red on bronze metallic for a GM because I liked the results I saw on a hobby site. I even once painted a HGUC Dom kit blue to match the "Ramba Ral" color scheme. Just paint it whatever colors feel right to you.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

there is only one acceptable paint scheme for the rx-78

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
My first thought is "My god, I will never be able to do a scheme so perfectly, those hearts are completely centered"

Second thought "Wow, that model actually can do a stereotypical japanese girl pose sooooo well, only thing better would be if it came with a peace sing hand"

The fact that the RX-78 is painted pink is not the least bit surprising. Why do "girly" schemes work so well on battle robots? I remember seeing a WH40K armored battalion painted Hello Kitty style and it was better than any other scheme I've seen. though admittedly I don't care for the ultra gritty/depressing type themes usually associated with 40k anyhow

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
speaking of such things, I painted something for the first time and it turned out pretty okay.need to learn how to keep the paint from blobbing in grooved areas, though. that got to be the main problem of the entire ordeal.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Given the only series I have watched is 00 (the anime doesn't do much for me) I'm not fussed about characters or lore etc, I just like the engineering in the kits.

I'm painting a HG strike freedom matte gray and purple gloss, because, well it sounded good at the time.

As the mega size is so big and so flat I wondered how hard it would be to give it a plaid suit look with some fabric. Giant hipster attack robot.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

SquirrelGrip posted:

Given the only series I have watched is 00 (the anime doesn't do much for me) I'm not fussed about characters or lore etc, I just like the engineering in the kits.

I'm painting a HG strike freedom matte gray and purple gloss, because, well it sounded good at the time.

As the mega size is so big and so flat I wondered how hard it would be to give it a plaid suit look with some fabric. Giant hipster attack robot.

gently caress that, get yourself some fabric and create a loving plaid shirt and jeans for it. loving Paul Bunyan Gundam standing over your tinier models, because gently caress you that's why.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Where did you get that Woundwort?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
So I just started building my first kit (I helped a friend put together a HG ReZel a while ago) and I had the misfortune to choose the HGUC Qubeley. It's one of my favorite suits but holy poo poo the little red vent stickers went everywhere and stuck to everything except where they were supposed to go.

Anyway, I'll probably build at least one more HG kit before trying anything fancier/more expensive involving paint or higher grades. Anyone have experience with the HGUC Nu HWS? It looks pretty rad.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Reiterpallasch posted:

So I just started building my first kit (I helped a friend put together a HG ReZel a while ago) and I had the misfortune to choose the HGUC Qubeley. It's one of my favorite suits but holy poo poo the little red vent stickers went everywhere and stuck to everything except where they were supposed to go.

Anyway, I'll probably build at least one more HG kit before trying anything fancier/more expensive involving paint or higher grades. Anyone have experience with the HGUC Nu HWS? It looks pretty rad.

Oh hey, the Nu HWS was my most recent kit. It is pretty great, and I didn't have any problems with anything except for accidentally losing one of the sticker sheets because I'm dumb and it got stuck to the manual. Besides that, really great kit.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Son Ryo posted:

Oh hey, the Nu HWS was my most recent kit. It is pretty great, and I didn't have any problems with anything except for accidentally losing one of the sticker sheets because I'm dumb and it got stuck to the manual. Besides that, really great kit.

That's not nearly as bad as what I did. I lost the command fin for my RG Char's Zaku II.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Reiterpallasch posted:

What a coincidence, that was the last kit I bought! One of the coolest things about it is that it comes with the regular Nu Gundam's skirt and leg armor as extra pieces, so you can swap them out if you want (although you can't do anything about the extra chest armor). It's almost like getting two Gundams for the price of one. Building the funnels got a bit confusing but aside from that it was a pretty straightforward kit to build. At least, it's probably not any more complicated than building the regular HGUC Nu Gundam.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
For the love of god, who thought it was a good idea to make Turn A's forehead logo a dry application :negative:

(Thanks again, Midjack)

EDIT: Two tries, two fuckups. Looks like I'm getting a green Gundam Marker!

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 10, 2012

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

For the love of god, who thought it was a good idea to make Turn A's forehead logo a dry application :negative:

(Thanks again, Midjack)

Awesome, enjoy the kit! :cheers:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

404GoonNotFound posted:

(Thanks again, Midjack)

EDIT: Two tries, two fuckups. Looks like I'm getting a green Gundam Marker!

I did it first time :smug:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I've been building up my collection of MG kits, and I'm looking for some thoughts on what I should go with next. So far I've got Exia Ignition Mode, 00 Qan[T] and Unicorn Banshee constructed, and Duel Gundam waiting to be done this weekend.

What's the general consensus on the EW version Wing models? They aren't the OVA designs, they're Katoki's take on the first-gen Gundams from the series (and Deathscythe Hell, but gently caress that thing), and they all look really good, especially Heavyarms, Shenlong and Epyon.

E: I can't read, it seems.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 10, 2012

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

You need a MG Gundam 2.0 mate.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zedd posted:

You need a MG Gundam 2.0 mate.

Or the One Year War version, which is superior. :colbert:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

Do keep in mind that the quoted opinion is only held by people with terrible taste.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Ver. KA is the best looking although its posability leaves much to be desired.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

TaurusOxford posted:

I own both, deal with it.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

Popehoist posted:

Ver. KA is the best looking although its posability leaves much to be desired.

The only pose a Gundam should do is stand still and crotchstare, so that shouldn't be a problem.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Bloody Pom posted:

I've been building up my collection of MG kits, and I'm looking for some thoughts on what I should go with next. So far I've got Exia Ignition Mode, 00 Qan[T] and Unicorn Banshee constructed, and Duel Gundam waiting to be done this weekend.

What's the general consensus on the EW version Wing models? They aren't the OVA designs, they're Katoki's take on the first-gen Gundams from the series (and Deathscythe Hell, but gently caress that thing), and they all look really good, especially Heavyarms, Shenlong and Epyon.

Judging by your current selection, are you sure you don't wanna pick up 00 Raiser first?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

404GoonNotFound posted:

Judging by your current selection, are you sure you don't wanna pick up 00 Raiser first?

I also concur with this. 00 Raiser is awesome, its only flaw being that his arm has trouble supporting the weight of the GN Sword III. But that is easily fixed with the super glue trick to thicken up the joint pegs.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

TaurusOxford posted:

I also concur with this. 00 Raiser is awesome, its only flaw being that his arm has trouble supporting the weight of the GN Sword III. But that is easily fixed with the super glue trick to thicken up the joint pegs.

I've heard a couple scattered reports of weak ankles too (or was that the QAN[T]?), but come on, something like that's gonna be in a flying pose on an Action Base anyway.

EDIT: Also, what exactly is the super glue trick anyway? I tried a couple light coats on the X-1 Full Cloth's weapons to improve his grip but it just ended up making a mess. Of course, that kit ALSO had weak elbows (and the cape messed with proper poses) so I ended up just putting it in storage.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

404GoonNotFound posted:

I've heard a couple scattered reports of weak ankles too (or was that the QAN[T]?), but come on, something like that's gonna be in a flying pose on an Action Base anyway.

the exia is known for having really bad ankles, the QAN[T] I'm working on seems fine though.

• Locked thread