Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Chido posted:

But... I thought Angus was a French goldenpekindoodle.

This is an easy mistake to make! it's his squashed face and long curly hair that does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I've seen so many -doodles at work the past couple of months(a.k.a since I started). There's one girl named Cleo who's so sweet. Lots of fur, with a thin body, so you THINK a big-assed dog is gonna knock you down, but she's as light as a feather. :3:

The little ones are all ankle-biting assholes. :mad:

Had 43 dogs at boarding this weekend and I'm so loving exhausted and frizzled. Ended up going into the bathroom today and having a bit of a cry. Wasn't upset really, just was so tired both physically and mentally, and the stress of it all kinda got to me.

I get to go back tomorrow, but it's only for 3 hours, so I think I'll make it!

There was a Dalmation there, and I'm wondering: are their coats different than most dogs? It felt different. Maybe it was just the fact that they have real short fur. :iiam:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Bash Ironfist posted:

Had 43 dogs at boarding this weekend and I'm so loving exhausted and frizzled. Ended up going into the bathroom today and having a bit of a cry. Wasn't upset really, just was so tired both physically and mentally, and the stress of it all kinda got to me.

I KNOW HOW THIS IS. :stare: Working with dogs is a lot more stressful than you think it will be from the outside. But when you think about the fact that 9 times out of 10 the dogs are very poorly trained and how loud it can get with constant barking, it's an insane environment to work in. So yeah, I totally feel for you. :(

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
So how much can I really expect Boyfriend to take?

We had four foster kittens for about 8 weeks, which I consider to be normal. We had one for an extra week or two. He and Sarabi both loved on this little thing. I did okay because I knew we had a great home set up for her as soon as she was big enough to fix.

She left today and Boyfriend was pretty despondent. He's never done kittens before. It's pretty easy for me because I've seen the homes we've been sending them to and they're foster DREAM homes - older cat ladies who freaking adore their cats and are looking to replace the 17 year old who just passed away. That kind of thing.

There's so many abandoned kittens right now that they're BEGGING me to take more. I just don't know whether I can ask Boyfriend to deal with more heartache. He's SO good with Sarabi and he was so good with the kittens - but we live in a one bedroom and it's a lot to ask of someone who's never done this before - or even really considered the idea of "temporary" (ie foster) animals. Losing Dinah was so tough for him. I think it's doubly hard because I do all the administrative/transportation stuff - one day the kittens show up, he loves them for 8-10 weeks, and then another day they're just gone.

I've told the shelter that I'll take some short-term adults right now. Our city shelter was privatized last week and the private rescue I've been working with recently took in 20 adults to help deal with the transition, a few of whom just need a few days of care before they're ready for the cat room. Hopefully he can deal with the adults because they're less heart-melting and they'll only be around for a short time. Plus, there's a few deaf cats and they're DESPERATE for someone with deaf pet experience, which I have in spades. He's very passive/willing to let me take in as many/much as I want, but I know it's so much to ask of him. Since he's really unwilling to draw a line, where should I draw it?

This got a little E/N-ey but I figured PI regulars would have to have some experience helping their loved ones adjust to foster situations.

Edit: I know Criscodisco just gave a few barn kittens up for adoption, maybe he can tell me how he helped his boyfriend deal with it? (Also: Crisco!!!!!! I'm dying here without updates! I need youuuuuu)

InEscape fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 9, 2012

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

People still ask me if my 75 pound greyhound is a whippet :stare:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

actionjackson posted:

People still ask me if my 75 pound greyhound is a whippet :stare:

That would be a pretty big whippet. Are whippets more common in your area or something?

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
I have completed the circle. I made a cat toy out of a ball of cat fur. Take that cats who destroyed the nice 6 dollar felt cat nip dinosaur in one evening. You will play with your free fur ball, and like it. (I took it away because she was licking it and I figured that was asking for a hairball)

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

WolfensteinBag posted:

I KNOW HOW THIS IS. :stare: Working with dogs is a lot more stressful than you think it will be from the outside. But when you think about the fact that 9 times out of 10 the dogs are very poorly trained and how loud it can get with constant barking, it's an insane environment to work in. So yeah, I totally feel for you. :(

YES. Most of the dogs there had separation anxiety issues or didn't like men/women/eye glasses(not a joke) and were all like 'bark barkbarkbarkbark' all the time. Or the owners just didn't give enough fucks to bother training the dog at all.

Also: Why are dogs(cats too probably) so curious about the bathroom? Every time I go to the bathroom, Feldman HAS to know whats going on. Cue sniffing at the bottom of the door. Or the one time he managed to get in, and stood there staring the entire time I was peeing. Just "What are you doing? :staredog:"

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Because they know there's a secret back way out and you're going to run away through it.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Look, you stare at him peeing all the time, why shouldn't he get to stare at you while you do it?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Man, at this point the drat dogs have followed me into the bathroom so much that as soon as they realize I'm not torturing myself with a shower, they just get bored and leave. Except Ires. Ires will occasionally decide that it's the most exciting thing ever, tear across the hall, smash head first into the island in the kitchen, then come tearing back and crash and burn against the vanity's bottom cabinets. The other three just kind of sit and stare at her in awe. The more she crashes into poo poo, the more excited she gets so the more she crashes into poo poo. It's pretty great to watch.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I just let Kiya it with me. Easier than her headbutting the door trying to get in. Although occasionally it causes me to step on her while getting out of the shower cuz right against the tub is the bestest place ever to sleep!

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
I came home from a 2 week trip to a remarkably chubby cat. I didn't *remember* Indy was that fat, but maybe she'd been slowly gaining weight and I didn't notice until I had some time away from her. But I mentioned it to the catsitter (a friend of mine) and he said he sometimes gave her an extra scoop of food because he felt bad about her being alone all day. One scoop is 1/4 her daily total. :allears: And that's a level scoop, not the heaping amounts he probably gave her. Time for some extra play with Da Bird, I guess.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Robo Kitty posted:

I came home from a 2 week trip to a remarkably chubby cat. I didn't *remember* Indy was that fat, but maybe she'd been slowly gaining weight and I didn't notice until I had some time away from her. But I mentioned it to the catsitter (a friend of mine) and he said he sometimes gave her an extra scoop of food because he felt bad about her being alone all day. One scoop is 1/4 her daily total. :allears: And that's a level scoop, not the heaping amounts he probably gave her. Time for some extra play with Da Bird, I guess.

"Hey friend, please follow these simple feeding instructions while I'm out of town."

Sure! Nah.

:mad: That mindset completely escapes me.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
Oh god these new adult fosters are a nightmare. I picked them up from a family in section 8 housing. She had seven cats (left after another private shelter took a few they were willing to take) in a two bedroom with three people and no income. The place reeked of cigarette smoke, nag champa and cat piss. One of these cats has never defecated in a litter box - he pees in it but they just let him poo poo in the tub. To get the cats into the carriers the husband put on gloves and wrestled them into them, and both cats were traumatized tantrum machines when they were done.

They've had a few hours to chill out but they're both still stressed as gently caress. They're way too freaked out to eat so I can't get them to accept treats. They've both grudgingly accepted being pet, and after some chill time, being carried to isolation (#1 busted out of isolation in a way I thought totally impossible - fixed now, and went rampaging through the house, sobbing and hissing and lashing out).

The rescue was looking for a quick turnaround on these guys but it'll be a long rehab period. They both have tartar and mites, only saw a vet to get fixed six years ago (and it was a low-cost with probably no real exam). They're also both fat as gently caress and one of them has scabs from some kind of flea or food allergy, or from stress grooming, I don't know which.

Neither of them seems to enjoy human contact. Petting is tolerated but doesn't interest them. I have no idea how to fix that. Some people, Christ.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

Kerfuffle posted:

"Hey friend, please follow these simple feeding instructions while I'm out of town."

Sure! Nah.

:mad: That mindset completely escapes me.

Well, it was my fault for not specifying a level scoop, at least. And given how small the scoop portions look I guess I could understand the mindset that it's "just a little treat." Otherwise he's a great catsitter - he's happy to spend hours sitting with her whereas most people would just come in to feed/scoop box/play for a bit and then leave. The chubbiness will come off with a little diet/exercise/time, I'm sure.

(plus now there's more fuzzy Indy tummy to love)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Fraction posted:

That would be a pretty big whippet. Are whippets more common in your area or something?

I know in my area it's vanishingly rare to see a whippet, and I still get that question for my greyhound, who was 80 lbs before his leg amputation.

Robo Kitty, my sister followed my feeding instructions to the letter and I still came back to Husker looking a bit fatter than when I left - turns out he had been sneaking food from her dog and the other dog they were babysitting. They're both slow eaters and would wander away from their food bowls, and he would clean up for them :rolleyes:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I just had to jump into the canal to rescue my dog. Heavy rain + a sudden strong current dragged her ball further into rapid currents. She followed it, grabbed the ball ad couldn't get back to me. After a couple of moments (her being pulled further and further away) I had to follow her in. It was pretty loving traumatic for both of us.

She kept hold of her ball until I reached her.

I'm currently soaked from the waist-downwards, and waiting for my friend to get home so I can bum clean clothes and a ride home.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Fraction posted:

I just had to jump into the canal to rescue my dog. Heavy rain + a sudden strong current dragged her ball further into rapid currents. She followed it, grabbed the ball ad couldn't get back to me. After a couple of moments (her being pulled further and further away) I had to follow her in. It was pretty loving traumatic for both of us.

Good Dag. :3:

Glad you're both ok though.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Going to pick up Bailey from the kennel this afternoon; I'm both excited and nervous about it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hey, a sister of a friend has this business making dog collars and leads and they're doing a little giveaway, so if you're interested, check it out: http://www.thingsgreatdaneseat.blogspot.com/2012/07/emmi-collar-giveaway.html

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Fraction posted:

I'm currently soaked from the waist-downwards, and waiting for my friend to get home so I can bum clean clothes and a ride home.

That's nuts. I hope you both are okay!

I had to pull Keeper's head above water once when he stubbornly refused to wait on land and kept sadly paddling out to me while I swam in the bay. The waves got choppy as he was heading towards me, he kept getting bowled over and bobbed under, and I was terrified he would drown. Of course once I grabbed him he was all wiggly and waggy like 'yay we're swimming'. :doh:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The dogs have a 30 gallon tote of stuff. Sure, some of it's leashes and spare collars and grooming tools.

:ohdear: But most of it is costumes.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Kerfuffle posted:

Good Dag. :3:

Glad you're both ok though.

Captain Foxy posted:

That's nuts. I hope you both are okay!

I had to pull Keeper's head above water once when he stubbornly refused to wait on land and kept sadly paddling out to me while I swam in the bay. The waves got choppy as he was heading towards me, he kept getting bowled over and bobbed under, and I was terrified he would drown. Of course once I grabbed him he was all wiggly and waggy like 'yay we're swimming'. :doh:

We're both fine now! :)

She's actually not had a problem with swimming since we first started, but I bet I'll have to slooowly ease her back into it again. Doubt she'll want to plunge right back in, but I don't blame her.

At least today had one good (?) outcome: she's been absolutely exhausted. Note to self, nearly losing/drowning your terrier is the best way to tire her out.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
This thread moves so friggin' quick; I get a new job and suddenly there's a backlog of over 200 posts I haven't read yet.

Neige LOVES my new job because it means she gets to have fun playtimes with new dogs like Wotan the Leonberger:

She was afraid of his massive feet at first, but now they are the bestest of friends. Yesterday she played with a 16 week old lab puppy named Finn and they wore each other completely out. She was asleep for the entire 2 hour (yep, 2 hours) commute back home. Today she gets to frolic with Wotan again, and also possibly a Golden Retriever pal named Galahad.

I'm liking the job a lot too. Clickin' at dogs for $$$!

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
My wife had Nori on his first trail walk today!

During:

By the end:

By the time she got home:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Just got Bailey back. They didn't massively over feed him, he smells good, and he looks good too. Thanks to whoever suggested individually packing and labeling each day's food; I'm sure it wouldn't have worked out as well if I hadn't done that.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

wtftastic posted:

Just got Bailey back. They didn't massively over feed him, he smells good, and he looks good too. Thanks to whoever suggested individually packing and labeling each day's food; I'm sure it wouldn't have worked out as well if I hadn't done that.

As someone who works at a daycare/boarding place, I want to thank you. We'll feed dogs as someone wants, but having food individually bagged and labeled per day is a LOT of help. It makes it faster to feed the dog, and the dog gets exactly as much as you want him/her to get.

It's a tip I give everyone who asks about boarding dogs. It makes it easier on us, and it gives the owner a little peace of mind, knowing the dog will get exactly what the owner wants the dog to have. :tipshat:

I've also learned that pit bulls have heads designed for maximum damage when they swing it at you. Nothing like a big ole pitty head to the gut to keep you on your toes.

edit: Also, individually bagging the food makes sure there's enough. You'd be surprised at how many people just don't leave us enough food for the dog. We'd get like 10 days worth of food for a dog who's staying 12+ pretty often.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Bash Ironfist posted:

As someone who works at a daycare/boarding place, I want to thank you. We'll feed dogs as someone wants, but having food individually bagged and labeled per day is a LOT of help. It makes it faster to feed the dog, and the dog gets exactly as much as you want him/her to get.

It's a tip I give everyone who asks about boarding dogs. It makes it easier on us, and it gives the owner a little peace of mind, knowing the dog will get exactly what the owner wants the dog to have. :tipshat:

I've also learned that pit bulls have heads designed for maximum damage when they swing it at you. Nothing like a big ole pitty head to the gut to keep you on your toes.

edit: Also, individually bagging the food makes sure there's enough. You'd be surprised at how many people just don't leave us enough food for the dog. We'd get like 10 days worth of food for a dog who's staying 12+ pretty often.

I actually packed one bag too many and labeled it "treats and incidental food" just in case they needed to bribe him or wanted to supplement each feeding a little bit. I packed it partly because I can't count. Apparently counting to 13 when you want to get a PhD is really hard.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You really need plat or aim or something so I can bullshit with you about your facility.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

wtftastic posted:

I actually packed one bag too many and labeled it "treats and incidental food" just in case they needed to bribe him or wanted to supplement each feeding a little bit. I packed it partly because I can't count. Apparently counting to 13 when you want to get a PhD is really hard.

Eh, better then packing one bag too little, I say.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

You really need plat or aim or something so I can bullshit with you about your facility.

I can't afford plat right now, but if you want you can email me! I'm bashironfist1 at gmail.com

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Proper car restraints come up a lot around here so I thought other people might find this interesting. The "Center for Pet Safety" is starting to do independent studies of dog harnesses and the results are not so good. It's a little disturbing watching the fake dogs fly around and get decapitated. You can read the whole report here but I wish they named names about what harnesses they were testing.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Proper car restraints come up a lot around here so I thought other people might find this interesting. The "Center for Pet Safety" is starting to do independent studies of dog harnesses and the results are not so good. It's a little disturbing watching the fake dogs fly around and get decapitated. You can read the whole report here but I wish they named names about what harnesses they were testing.

Well that's really loving scary. I really really wish they had provided the manufacturer's names. How the hell are you supposed to purchase a harness after seeing almost all of them fail during a crash test?

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

GoreJess posted:

Well that's really loving scary. I really really wish they had provided the manufacturer's names. How the hell are you supposed to purchase a harness after seeing almost all of them fail during a crash test?

I think the first one is the Bergan Dog Harness. Even with the pixelation, the front looks pretty close to the same and so does the way it clips to the back of the harness.

It did the best at least...? :( (I own and use that one in the car all the time)

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I was just looking at that. I watched all the videos and I'm pretty sure none of them are the Champion system we use because it has two rings on the harness that attach to the seat belt piece.

Still, we sometimes stick Psyche in a covered crate in the back still when we're going to a dog class because if she sees a dog, I can't keep her from attacking the windows when I'm in the front seat. I always just put it out of my head, but it's super dangerous, not just for her, but if that crate went flying around... Not sure what else I can do, besides get some super strong bungees and try to secure the crate better.

Edit: Huh. With the Champion harness, there are two straps, one that goes around her middle and one around her chest. The leash/restraint attaches to the one around her middle, which I always thought looked funny (it pulls her in a totally different way from a collar and makes it harder to 'steer', lol), but now that I think about it in terms of a crash, it means the pressure from the restraint won't choke up around her neck. Could hurt her legs though, but she'd have to be facing a strange direction.

IMG_3452 by Kiri koli, on Flickr

Kiri koli fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 11, 2012

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Cless Alvein posted:

I think the first one is the Bergan Dog Harness. Even with the pixelation, the front looks pretty close to the same and so does the way it clips to the back of the harness.

It did the best at least...? :( (I own and use that one in the car all the time)

Or possibly a Kurgo. Not ideal either way. That's the whole reason I got one; they claimed to be safety tested.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pet safety restraints are very serious and obviously car accidents are very serious, but the way that dog stuffed animal ragdolls in slow motion kept cracking me up. I feel terrible.

You know, they make shirt harnesses for cats. Why don't they make a seatbelt buckle thing like that for dogs?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Rumor is that the first video is a bergan and the 4th is a kurgo. I'm sure some clever internet detective will figure it out.

Major has to ride in a covered crate or else he is super unsafe in the car. It is strapped in and so wedged in my pickup's cab that I can't move it if I try. I know its still not as safe as it should be but it's all I can do really. No harness is going to be safe if he spends the whole car ride ramming into the windows screaming.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
I have that Champion harness for Quaffle too, and I have to say that it is really heavy and well made so I can't imagine how it could fail during a crash. There are no load-bearing buckles on the harness, and once you have the harness strap/leash/whatever hooked onto it, it doesn't even need the buckles in order to stay on. I attach the strap to the middle seat belt buckle because he's a big dog and I don't know how well the seat belt strap would hold him during normal driving. I like how the attachment point can rotate from one side of the dog to the other, so I can strap him down sort of tight without the harness pulling him sideways. I'm afraid to give him too much leeway because I drive a Civic and he doesn't have far to go until he hits the front seat anyway. Luckily for me he mostly just wants to lay down and stare out the car window.

Seriously, this thing is so heavy duty that a normal leash can't hook around those attachment rings; you need a coupler or a carabiner or something. The harness strap (which you use to connect the harness to the seatbelt) has a bull snap on it instead of a regular snap hook like on a leash.

The only problem is wrestling him into it due to the design, but he thinks that part is a game I think. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
ATTN bully breed people: is there anything on this page (or the entire site, for that matter) you think should be changed or added?

I'm no web designer by any stretch of the imagination, but I've been cleaning up the website by making it look less awful and wording things better. Any tips on design are appreciated too (I know some pages like the Shop page are awful, but I'm still getting the hang of this service). It all looks way better than it did before, at least. :colbert:

• Locked thread