Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I quit like 10 years ago so here's a bunch of anti smoking things I like not just as anti smoking things but as straight up art:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

One of the more striking uk anti smoking advert themes.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Saint Celestine posted:

So really, because of France, who pulled out of NATO regardless, we ended up with the Vietnam war, and a hostile Vietnam, and POW John McCain, and a Sarah Palin.

When really, given hindsight, we could have just told the French to gently caress right off and possibly avoided that entire loving mess and would now have a Southeast Asian ally and a check against the rise of China.

Thanks France.

Edit: China would be overjoyed at a US Naval base at Haiphong.

That's not entirely correct. The US would have gone into Vietnam regardless of whether the French toughed it out or not. The US was propping up former Japanese and French collaborators and ready to use elements of the Japanese army following the end of World War II to keep Vietnam from going "communist."

Understandably, the US wanted France to use its cannon fodder and not theirs, especially since the US was bogged down in Korea most of the time. Also, Vietnam over the years became quiet a "check" on China since they hated the Chinese with a passion and even repelled them in an invasion. The Vietnamese are pretty good at defending their country.

Here's a PsyWar leaflet dropped on the Vietcong challenging them to come out and fight.

The cowardly Communists can only hide themselves behind women and children to furtively attack.

Communist guerrillas: if you are brave come here; the soldiers of Tan Phu post are waiting for you.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, is that genuine?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Rand alPaul posted:

That's not entirely correct. The US would have gone into Vietnam regardless of whether the French toughed it out or not. The US was propping up former Japanese and French collaborators and ready to use elements of the Japanese army following the end of World War II to keep Vietnam from going "communist."

Understandably, the US wanted France to use its cannon fodder and not theirs, especially since the US was bogged down in Korea most of the time. Also, Vietnam over the years became quiet a "check" on China since they hated the Chinese with a passion and even repelled them in an invasion. The Vietnamese are pretty good at defending their country.

After WW2 ended, wasn't Ho Chi Minh a fan of the US, and came to us first for support? and then, after we sided with the French, that's what killed relations?

Or have I got my history wrong? I always thought that if we had sided with him, history would have turned out differently. Or was he too far gone as a communist by then...

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Saint Celestine posted:

After WW2 ended, wasn't Ho Chi Minh a fan of the US, and came to us first for support? and then, after we sided with the French, that's what killed relations?

Or have I got my history wrong? I always thought that if we had sided with him, history would have turned out differently. Or was he too far gone as a communist by then...

Like many early figures in decolonization, Ho Chi Minh initially found the US to be pretty attractive since we talked a big game during/immediately after WWII about national self-determination and the end of the old European empires. On this basis he'd made several appeals to the US during the First Indochina War (citing our Declaration of Independence and Constitution, if I remember right) and in its immediate aftermath for US recognition, but was rebuffed for Cold War reasons (he's too much a commie, we need to prop up the French, etc).

Since we're on the subject, here he is as a younger, more dapper fellow at the Versailles Conference!

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

This was the first I've heard of this story, and it's really sickening to me. It makes me feel ashamed to be a gamer.

Here's a couple of Soviet propaganda posters that I saw while doing research on the Moscow subway. My Russian is still pretty poor but here's my best attempt at translations:

Top: Model Transportation for the Proletarian Capitol
Bottom: METROpolitan (the pun works in Russian too)

Top: There are no fortresses which the Bolsheviks cannot take (I think. Can any Russian-speaking goons help me out here?)
Middle: Long live our great Stalin!
Bottom: There is a Metro!

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Some things never change (about our enemies).

So much so that you can always spot them!

"Hold it, buddy...let's see your feet and underwear..."

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

sullat posted:

Huh, I did not know that the Dutch tried to re-conquer Indonesia in the late 40's, and tried to drag the US into it. Good thing the US figured the Indonesians could do a perfectly fine job of killing communists on their own. (With a little help from their friends at the CIA, of course)

You know what we call the military operations undertaken by the Dutch military during the Indonesian War of Independence, or even more commonly, the whole Indonesian War of Independence to this day? "Politionele acties", meaning police actions.

Here's some pictures of the first police action

And of the second police action

Fresh personnel arriving for the police actions

My late grandfather lived through the German occupation and was then in the army and sent to Indonesia during the war for independence. He has at times spoken about his experiences during the second world war and the occupation. He's never said a word about Indonesia nor visited a veteran's group or reunion.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Barometer posted:

Some things never change (about our enemies).

Unlike Al Qaeda, the Viet Cong really did have a pretty extensive tunnel system. Vietnam has since converted one into a tourist attraction. But they had to widen it so Americans could fit in it.

Yay!

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Aufzug Taube! posted:

Unlike Al Qaeda, the Viet Cong really did have a pretty extensive tunnel system. Vietnam has since converted one into a tourist attraction. But they had to widen it so Americans could fit in it.

Actually, all of our enemies have to live underground because that's the only place we leave them! :colbert:

A link to the pamphlet;
http://cbi-theater-2.home.comcast.net/~cbi-theater-2/magic/magic-carpet.html

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

loving hell, the booby-trapped door makes me lose it every time.

While we're on the topic of Vietnam, here's some children who are thought to have been deformed by their parents' exposure to Agent Orange. All pictures should be considered :nws: and :nms: These photos are all pretty upsetting, too, so view at your own discretion.

Pictures and their descriptions can be found here. (link is :nws:)

http://i.imgur.com/aamfS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GMWG9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0VESw.jpg

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Our enemies are literal subhumans who live in the ground.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Jesus Christ, a simple "nsfw" tag is not nearly a big enough warning for that. Ughhh, I've got a strong stomach and that gallery made me nauseous.

For content-- US soldier making sure somebody's mom doesn't get too out of hand

Cjones fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 10, 2012

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Our enemies are literal subhumans who live in the ground.

Depends on the enemy, that "subhuman" part. Those pesky Germans looked to have pretty swell digs underground!

Meanwhile, back in the land of the free :911:

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Barometer posted:

So much so that you can always spot them!

"Hold it, buddy...let's see your feet and underwear..."
It's very important to know who you and your friends should beat to death!

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Sometimes I hate my state :\

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Fluoride Jones posted:

loving hell, the booby-trapped door makes me lose it every time.

While we're on the topic of Vietnam, here's some children who are thought to have been deformed by their parents' exposure to Agent Orange. All pictures should be considered :nws: and :nms: These photos are all pretty upsetting, too, so view at your own discretion.

Pictures and their descriptions can be found here. (link is :nws:)

http://i.imgur.com/aamfS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GMWG9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0VESw.jpg
That's very interesting. I'd heard that Agent Orange was horrible but never about this. Reminds me a bit of that time when our first physics teacher explained the effects of radiation on people by showing us pictures of radiation victims in Japan. Well, he was the biology teacher too so he showed us what happened to their offspring too. That was, striking as well.

And as much as I'd rather never have known about it, we mustn't forget. I remember seeing this in person and just thinking stupidly that it reminded me of Fallout 3. Mankind too easily looks away from horror and ignores it.

A palette cleanser:

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
Beer tweets versus church tweets:

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot
For some dumb reason the Lorax popped into my head, and then I remembered these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrvg33vkdFI

Clearly.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Fluoride Jones posted:

For some dumb reason the Lorax popped into my head, and then I remembered these:

gently caress advertisers forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjTuRDW2NHY

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
That guy who did the La Muerta pictures (My wife said it should be La Muerte though...) has a lot of great work on his site:

Two Favorites:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

But but but if we do that, prices will just go up and inflate it away and really its just so the government can collect more taxes etc

So we should never give raises again :smug:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

That Caucasian bigot is telegraphing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer

Saint Sputnik posted:

gently caress advertisers forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Mr. Gandhi :smith:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

I hope that last one hasn't been posted already. It's my favorites Dees piece.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

If it's summer why is it so hot outside!?!

e: yeah, I deserve it for no picture plus this dumb post

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

There's still time to edit one in.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

LF will never die.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orange Devil posted:

You know what we call the military operations undertaken by the Dutch military during the Indonesian War of Independence, or even more commonly, the whole Indonesian War of Independence to this day? "Politionele acties", meaning police actions.

Interestingly enough some new pictures were recently discovered that very probably show evidence of executions during our "police actions":

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Left:

Right:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

LF will never die.

Saw one of those (I forget which it was) on the back window of some old lady's car a few weeks back.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Max edgy badass

edit: it appears picup uploads the full size pics now

Rhetoric-o-Tron
Jan 5, 2009

by Pragmatica

Smiler 2012

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Ras Het posted:

Would look even better (almost good, perhaps) with, say, several passenger planes in it.

My London...

Late to the party on this, but good loving god, have they actually hung the Olympic logo on Tower Bridge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

• Locked thread