Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Would a Peavey Classic 30 be a good choice for a bluesy/classic rock/ and venturing toward Black Keys kind of sound? I currently only have a borrowed amp, so this would be my first. Also, I guess I'm learning guitar now, so what up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

ChaoticSeven posted:

Would a Peavey Classic 30 be a good choice for a bluesy/classic rock/ and venturing toward Black Keys kind of sound? I currently only have a borrowed amp, so this would be my first. Also, I guess I'm learning guitar now, so what up.

Yes they are solid and good for the sound you described. Might want to check out a vox ac15 but the classic 30 is cheaper and is one of the best amps in its price range. Make sure you don't mind it's loudness.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Being a guitar/music fetus (more like a zygote)I didn't realize I'd have to crank it that high to get some of the benefit. I'd like to keep the volume lower until I'm past the "loving up chord changes faster than 20 bpm stage". I'm looking closely at a Blackstar HT-1R now. It's 1 watt, tube with reverb. Seems like this would be a better fit for me right now. Any thoughts? The only other consideration is I'm probably going to end up with an Earthquaker Hoof fuzz at some point.

Edit: Looks like the HT-5R would be a better fit for that.

Edit Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyxQXFdzE4M

Edit Edit Edit: Maybe a Lil Night Train with extension cab? Oh god what is happening...

ChaoticSeven fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 8, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The 5R is a rocking little amp, I love mine, but the biggest problem with it is that the clean channel doesn't have an EQ - it just has a something that amounts to a dark/bright sweep control.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I love small tube amps. I've got a 3 watt and its way too loud for what I'm need so I'm looking at a fractional watt for my next equipment purchase. I say go with the 1 watt.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
Is it worth picking up a loop pedal as my first pedal? I have a Mustang modeling amp so I'm not too worried about getting a good tone so much as learning the guitar. I've got an extra $200ish bucks and was really looking at the Boss RC-3 loop pedal because I've heard people say that it really helped them become better guitarists. That's all I'm really looking for right now, something to help out in practice sessions.

Also, I want to highly recommend The Guitar Fretboard Workbook to anyone who has been trying to learn the fretboard and forms or anyone starting out. I tried working through Fretboard Logic but nothing really "clicked" until I started The Guitar Fretboard Workbook. Love it to death.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
For a zygote, I wouldn't get a tube. A nice modeling amp is really all you need for the first bit or so, and they're nice and cheap. (Vox Mini3, the new Fender) If you really want a tube, the Vox AC4 is relatively cheap, as is the Fender Champ 600 (if the store has one, they've been discontinued after 60 years.)

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

You may be right, they just sound so nice...Any thoughts on the Peavey Vypyrs versus the Mustangs? I've been watching a few of the Mathias "Vypyr Experience" videos on Youtube and it sounds pretty amazing considering the variety. I haven't looked for anything similar on the Mustang if it exists, yet.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Well, I have a steady job now, and I think I'm finally going to do it. I'm going to get this guitar. It's a knockoff, but a substantially better knockoff than the knockoff I bought as my first guitar. I don't even like playing my own guitar anymore, so I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this one before I get bored and give up altogether.

What do you call this strange urge to buy expensive guitars I am currently experiencing? :ohdear:

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I want some advice about a gear purchase. My current 'band' is me (guitar/vocals) and my buddy (bass) farting around in each other's houses playing covers. I want to get into some kind of looping setup so I can do some lead stuff and still have a rhythm bit going. Our current 'amp' setup is running our instruments into a computer (I use Ableton at my house. He's got Reason). We're both old men with real jobs and have no dreams of gigging anywhere ever. Should I look into getting a midi foot controller (like this Behringer FCB1010) or something like a Digitech Jamman.

I think the midi controller can probably do a shitload more when controlling Ableton/Reason, but it seems like it'd be more of a hassle to just control the actual looping bit that I'm primarily interested in.

For the loop pedal, is the Stereo thing worth the extra $100 over the other model? Is there another make/manufacturer you'd recommend instead?

Thanks!

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
The blackstar ht5r is the musiciansfriend deal of the day for 250. Pretty good deal.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

explosivo posted:

Well, I have a steady job now, and I think I'm finally going to do it. I'm going to get this guitar. It's a knockoff, but a substantially better knockoff than the knockoff I bought as my first guitar. I don't even like playing my own guitar anymore, so I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this one before I get bored and give up altogether.

What do you call this strange urge to buy expensive guitars I am currently experiencing? :ohdear:

I'd vote you put an extra hundo to that and get an Agile 2000 series, but that is only because I own an Agile and everyone including me loves my guitar.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Krustic posted:

The blackstar ht5r is the musiciansfriend deal of the day for 250. Pretty good deal.

motherfucker

At least anyone who gets it at that price is getting a really great deal I guess!

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

boxcarhobo posted:

I'd vote you put an extra hundo to that and get an Agile 2000 series, but that is only because I own an Agile and everyone including me loves my guitar.

Seconding this guy.

Bedurndurn posted:

Should I look into getting a midi foot controller (like this Behringer FCB1010) or something like a Digitech Jamman.
Thanks!

I have a JamMan, it's really a good pedal. I don't see the point in stereo unless you really want to do true stereo reverb or chorus effects. However if you don't plan on gigging, I'd go with the midi foot pedal, because it's going to let you do a helluva whole lot more with your computer.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Alright, I totally needed to wait anyway. I'll hold off for a paycheck or two and save up for this or maybe this. That second one is goddamned sexy.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Bazanga posted:

Is it worth picking up a loop pedal as my first pedal? I have a Mustang modeling amp so I'm not too worried about getting a good tone so much as learning the guitar. I've got an extra $200ish bucks and was really looking at the Boss RC-3 loop pedal because I've heard people say that it really helped them become better guitarists. That's all I'm really looking for right now, something to help out in practice sessions.

Also, I want to highly recommend The Guitar Fretboard Workbook to anyone who has been trying to learn the fretboard and forms or anyone starting out. I tried working through Fretboard Logic but nothing really "clicked" until I started The Guitar Fretboard Workbook. Love it to death.

My first pedal was an RC-20XL and I think it was a good call. I had a DA-5 at the time so I could already hear some basic effects. It was nice to use the looper to lay down a backing track and then try to solo over it.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

muike posted:

motherfucker

At least anyone who gets it at that price is getting a really great deal I guess!

I was fumbling at my wallet while trying to key in the website but it turns out it's the HT-5H, not the HT5R. I've read there were some notable improvements in those two iterations unless I've mixed something up. Appreciate the heads up though. I just went ahead and ordered a Mustang from Amazon for easy returns if I get a fizzy one that new firmware doesn't fix. I was getting that terrible frustrated feeling that comes after days and days of obsessive web "research" and it was a load off just to hit the 1 Day One Click button and be done with it for now.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
My understanding is that the HT-5R was given a bit more gain and slightly different EQ controls, but I'm not really sure about that second part. At least it's the head and not the 5r, I would've been hopping mad otherwise.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

havelock posted:

My first pedal was an RC-20XL and I think it was a good call. I had a DA-5 at the time so I could already hear some basic effects. It was nice to use the looper to lay down a backing track and then try to solo over it.

Is there anything bad anyone can actually say about the DA-5? Seriously. It's not quite perfect, but beyond that, does it actually have any flaws?

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Warcabbit posted:

Is there anything bad anyone can actually say about the DA-5? Seriously. It's not quite perfect, but beyond that, does it actually have any flaws?

My dog pee'd on the input so it only went for another month or so after that before it just stopped working.

VOX DA-5: WON'T STAND UP TO DOG PEE 4 1/2 out of 5 stars

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Warcabbit posted:

It is pretty great. I don't use mine much after I got a Vox AC4TV, though I've goofed around with some basic stereo setups.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Anyone know if this is just tuned a full step down or ?
http://youtu.be/VUtlqqjnKHE

Been trying to learn the first few chords for the past few days whenever I get 10-20 minutes. I've tried everything from standard, to 1/2 step, to full step down tuning just to match the first few chords in there cause I can probably pickup everything else after that. I end up getting angry and playing something technical to make me feel less of a stupid newbie. :(

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I need something new to do in my life. I've always thought about learning how to play the guitar but never really considered it for some odd reason. Well I have the time now, and the cash.

I visited a local music store and asked about learning how to play. What the guy recommended for a beginner set was a ESP LTD EC-50 ($169) for the guitar, and a Johnson JA-P10 ($69) for the amp.

I didn't recognize the brands, but considering my experience is pretty much the OP and a few other sites, I didn't expect to. I didn't want to bring up "well the internet says" on my first visit not knowing anything. Good beginner gear or cheap poo poo they're trying to clear? I have the budget to step up a bit if need be. I just don't know enough to know what the good price/quality ratio is.

This is the shop I visited: https://www.brindleysmusic.com They have some other brands of gear, but not a vast selection. I asked them about lessons, and they're $22 per half hour.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I've never played any of the cheap ESPs but every hardcore kid I know has an LTD so they gotta be at least usable.

The Squier Vintage Modified/Classic Vibes may be a good choice for you if you can spare a little extra cash for one (They usually run 300 - 400). Most of them are actually surprisingly good, quality wise. I'll probably pick up one of their Jaguar reissues that drop at the end of the month.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

The Squier Vintage Modified/Classic Vibes may be a good choice for you if you can spare a little extra cash for one (They usually run 300 - 400). Most of them are actually surprisingly good, quality wise. I'll probably pick up one of their Jaguar reissues that drop at the end of the month.

If you're diligent on eBay, I managed to get a Vintage Modified Thinline for $200 (not including shipping sadly).

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Manky posted:

If you're diligent on eBay, I managed to get a Vintage Modified Thinline for $200 (not including shipping sadly).

Why do you guys keep making me post Xaviere models?
Thinline Teleoids:
The double humbucker
http://store.guitarfetish.com/XV-610-Semi-Hollow-Dream-180s-Pearl-Pickguard_c_209.html
The classic pickup
http://store.guitarfetish.com/XV-620-Series-Semi-Hollow-Cutaway_c_156.html

There. Sub-200, not including shipping. Shiny and new.

But here I am, not reading the original post. That looks like a pretty good deal, really.
(yes, there's an Xaviere to match it)
http://store.guitarfetish.com/XV-599-Carved-Top-Wood-Binding-Abalone-Purlfing_c_306.html

but I can't see anything wrong with that ESP design, especially given first guitar syndrome.

What do you want your guitar to look like? How do you want it to sound? Where do you want to play?

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 10, 2012

seigfox
Dec 2, 2005

Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.
If I wanted to get a "standard" Strat single coil sound and I had around $500 to spend, what would you all recommend? Is there a super secret brand/model that will get me an amazing guitar for my money? Or should I just find a reasonable MIM Strat and call it a day?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Reasonable MIM strat and a good setup. Also don't neglect your amp.
Strat is, as strat is, you know?

Though, if you felt like something a little fancy, Reverend is nice.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You could compare a MIM Fender to some of the Squier Vintage Modified/Classic Vibe lines - a lot of people say they feel and sound like a good Fender, so might be worth giving them a try and see if the price difference makes you want one

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

explosivo posted:

135$ guitar is not an expensive guitar by any means dude. :shobon:

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

keyframe posted:

To you possibly not. To others it might be. It all depends on your circumstances. Their are some out their who would argue that custom shop gear isn't that expensive.

On the topic of lusting after guitars (expensive or other wise), the new Squier Mustang and Jazzmaster have got me all hot and bothered. All they need now is a Squier Bass VI and then they can have all my money.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sadsack posted:

All they need now is a Squier Bass VI

I would be on that instantly.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.
I've had a tremol-no on my Ibanez for years, but bought a hardtail guitar this week so I decided to unlock the floating trem.

I loosened the strings until the bridge was flat, then blocked it at the back before tuning. But once it's in tune, the bridge is still pulled forward and I can't take out the block. I've done the screws up practically all the way to the body and it still doesn't balance the tension, even though I have 3 springs. Do the springs need time to settle?

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
Does anyone have any experience with Fender's palo escrito telecaster?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

keyframe posted:

Oh believe me man, I know. I'm being drawn to ridiculously experience guitars but settling for Korean knockoffs. For the time being, at least..

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

What's the point of disabling a tremolo?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

More tuning stability, and makes it easier to bend apparently - at rest the bridge is basically balanced between the tension of the springs pulling one way and the strings pulling the other. When you bend a note you're increasing the tension on that string, but that also pulls on the floating bridge and lowers the tension on all the strings. So some of the force going into your bend is being wasted (you have to bend further to hit the right pitch), and any other notes you're playing will drop out of tune as those strings lose tension

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Warcabbit posted:

But here I am, not reading the original post. That looks like a pretty good deal, really.
(yes, there's an Xaviere to match it)
http://store.guitarfetish.com/XV-599-Carved-Top-Wood-Binding-Abalone-Purlfing_c_306.html

but I can't see anything wrong with that ESP design, especially given first guitar syndrome.

What do you want your guitar to look like? How do you want it to sound? Where do you want to play?

For looks, more of a classic Les Paul or Fender Strat shape than anything too wild. And at this point I'm not really interested in playing anywhere other than at home.

As far as sound goes, I'm not really sure how to answer... I'm not sure how to articulate that.

In a recent development, I asked a guy I work I know plays if he had any local store recommendations. Ended up being he loaned me a Rogueby Squire! ST-4 for a couple weeks while I look around.

Granted, I don't have an amp at the moment...

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
My first statement: A guitar should make you want to play.
My second statement: If you have a hero or someone whose music you aspire to sound like one day, then having a guitar that comes within, eh, twenty percent of matching it, is worth thinking about. Most cheap guitars can come within that twenty percent. It's the 'matching it within 1 percent or less' that gets expensive.

On the other hand, it should also be comfortable to you. Personally, I think the cutaway shape of a stratoid is more comfortable than a LP, but it's your call.

So, when I say 'what sound do you want', I mean 'oh god I want to sound like Slash one day' or 'I have always adored Creedence Clearwater Revival' or 'I really like Buddy Holly. Shut up, he's awesome.' What do you want to play? Who do you want to be? Sure, you're going to eventually wind up being yourself, but even Jimi Hendrix had Buddy Guy as his inspiration.

As far as an amp is concerned, I'm pretty sure we can find you a nice cheap one, but for just starting, playing unplugged is fine too.

Where do you want to play: Your bedroom next to your parents. Outside in the back yard. In the garage. In school. All of these options have different answers to the kind of amp you want. For example, next to your parents means you _don't_ want something horribly loud. On the other hand, in the garage or in school, you're going to have a huge open area and anything too small will wash away in openness and ambient noise.

Rogue ST-4? Yep. That's a startocaster, all right, and good for screwing around with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Start going through the lessons on JustinGuitar just to get your fingers working and to get used to how playing guitar feels (you won't need an amp yet, so long as you can actually hear the guitar). Even having a little bit of experience will help you start to realise what feels more comfortable to you, instead of every guitar feeling like the same alien object