Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

calcio posted:

I saw those prices on amazon and laughed. I guess I'll try the local Mexican market and see if I can get a more reasonable price.

On the offchance you live in Texas, La Michoacana sells a store brand aluminum 12 inch tortilla press for 10 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Out of curiousity, is a citrus juicer much more effective than a fork?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Rurutia posted:

At being a cleaner, easier and less seedy option? Yes. At getting more juice out of a lemon? Yes but a minor amount. If you do any shopping in thrift stores and have no issue with that godawful green glass everything in the seventies was made of, there's plenty of them for cheap.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Domes, hand reamers, squeezers, pressers, they all extract similar amounts of juice for the occasional use in a recipe. The glass dome has the advantage of being able to handle more sizes than the others and cleaning up quicker.

I suggest you get a "fat" dome and not a "skinny" dome.

If you juice regularly I suggest a cheap electric.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 10, 2012

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

that awful man posted:

On the other hand, those are the guys who took the advice of an internet "chemist" and made a big old pot of stock soap. Food science at its best.

Dunno if you're serious but I'm not sure what the harm is in trying out crazy ideas. It's not like they made pork soap and said "IT'S GREAT EAT THIS".

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Rurutia posted:

yeah, tons. I was really skeptical, but I went over to a friend's house who had one of these : https://liquorandlibations.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/citrus-juicer.jpg and I was really impressed. you press down and the lemon/lime basically turns itself inside out and gets completely juiced. bought one for myself the very next day. we made margaritas for like 20 people, and dear lord if I had to do that all with a fork.

anyways, don't get a dome one that you press down on and rotate, unless of course it's a mechanical/commercial one like this : http://www.webstaurantstore.com/war...CFQed7QodYCAT-Q

we have one of these at the place I stage, and it's great. but the manual versions are useless.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I am curious why you feel the dome juicer is inferior. It's a one size fits all juicer and extracts as effectively as every other manual juicer.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

I am curious why you feel the dome juicer is inferior. It's a one size fits all juicer and extracts as effectively as every other manual juicer.

oh, I don't know. I don't really care that much. just the like dome juicers that come with bowls and everything require you to twist and turn your fruit on them while they slide around on the counter, and take up a ton of cabinet space. the ones that are just like a pointy ridged hand-held thing are fine, but usually seem messier. I just like being able to make one motion (hard squeeze) and be confident I've gotten all the juice. they catch seeds more often, and the juice drops straight down instead of around the handheld thing, which I think is preferable.

all juicers get the job done, it's just nitpicking really. but this is an internet forum about cooking where the topic is product recommendations, so what am I really supposed to do I guess?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
A juicing duel?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

mindphlux posted:

yeah, tons. I was really skeptical, but I went over to a friend's house who had one of these : https://liquorandlibations.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/citrus-juicer.jpg and I was really impressed. you press down and the lemon/lime basically turns itself inside out and gets completely juiced. bought one for myself the very next day. we made margaritas for like 20 people, and dear lord if I had to do that all with a fork.

Oh god I have one of these things (well similar) and I think I've been using it wrong every time now that you've described how it works for you :(

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

FishBulb posted:

Oh god I have one of these things (well similar) and I think I've been using it wrong every time now that you've described how it works for you :(

It is a common mistake for people to be putting the fruit in up-side down.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Well I still feel real dumb.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I had the same reaction and its like if someone told me I had been using rubber roads and asphalt tires.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Welp, you can count me in as having done them backwards for the past three years :downs:

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
C'mon, guys. Cut side goes down, not up. You didn't try it the other way even once just to see if it'd work better?

I've had one of those for years and I actually just wore it out -- the enamel is flaking off so it's time to buy a new one. Luckily, they are cheap.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

King Hotpants posted:

C'mon, guys. Cut side goes down, not up. You didn't try it the other way even once just to see if it'd work better?

I've had one of those for years and I actually just wore it out -- the enamel is flaking off so it's time to buy a new one. Luckily, they are cheap.

Honestly, if you use it like you would with a regular juicer, the rounded part going directly into the flesh of the fruit is more intuitive.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

mindphlux posted:

anyways, don't get a dome one that you press down on and rotate, unless of course it's a mechanical/commercial one like this : http://www.webstaurantstore.com/war...CFQed7QodYCAT-Q

we have one of these at the place I stage, and it's great. but the manual versions are useless.

Thanks mindphlux. I just picked one up. :3:

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Doh004 posted:

Honestly, if you use it like you would with a regular juicer, the rounded part going directly into the flesh of the fruit is more intuitive.

To be honest, that's how I used it until I read about the "right" way to do it here. Look at where the holes are :)

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012
Anyone tried using the Citruspod from Fusion Brands?

Looks nifty, I like the idea of being able to store unused halves in the unit. I often am left with half a lime or something when making drinks.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Dirty Phil posted:

Anyone tried using the Citruspod from Fusion Brands?

Looks nifty, I like the idea of being able to store unused halves in the unit. I often am left with half a lime or something when making drinks.

Is there something wrong with your plastic wrap?

Honestly if I'm feeling lazy I just leave it on the counter. The outer layer dries up but the inside stays juicy.

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

King Hotpants posted:

Is there something wrong with your plastic wrap?

Honestly if I'm feeling lazy I just leave it on the counter. The outer layer dries up but the inside stays juicy.

No, but I don't have any juicer right now, and something to keep the seeds out would be nice. Admittedly I also am trying to limit the use of plastic wrap. I am also a sucker for things shaped remotely like boob(s). I would leave it on the counter but I don't think the GF is too keen on that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Dirty Phil posted:

No, but I don't have any juicer right now, and something to keep the seeds out would be nice. Admittedly I also am trying to limit the use of plastic wrap. I am also a sucker for things shaped remotely like boob(s). I would leave it on the counter but I don't think the GF is too keen on that.

Just drop it in a sandwich bag. I mean, that thing seems okay, but what a pain to juice half of a citrus fruit, then you have to immediately wash off the juicer in order just put another piece of fruit in the fridge.

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

mediaphage posted:

Just drop it in a sandwich bag. I mean, that thing seems okay, but what a pain to juice half of a citrus fruit, then you have to immediately wash off the juicer in order just put another piece of fruit in the fridge.

I suppose, but wouldn't you have to wash said juicer regardless of if you store citrus in it or not?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Dirty Phil posted:

I suppose, but wouldn't you have to wash said juicer regardless of if you store citrus in it or not?

Probably, but I might just toss it in the dishwasher.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
For anyone who's interested, KitchenAid are now distributing bowl-lift versions (called KitchenAid Heavy Duty) in the EU. Still prohibitively expensive, but at least now, you don't have to settle for the weakest of the weak weaksauce weakmachines in their lineup.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Has the trusty Polyscience 7306c immersion circulator been succeeded? It's still in their site but says things like "from 200x - 2012" and it seems like a lot of stores are showing this thing in its stead:

I'd probably rather use my home-built one than use this backlit LCD

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
its ok guys everyone makes mistakes!! :)

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

This is not exactly a product recommendation, but can anyone point me to a good tutorial on using a Japanese waterstone to sharpen a kitchen knife?

I have read and watched quite a few here and there on the internet but many of them give conflicting advice or are otherwise stupid. I know they have knife thread in TFR but that seems to be more focused on little flippy tactical knives than chef knives.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I enjoy this video, mostly for his soothing voice. I guess it's pretty good knife advice too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIw5ChGOADE

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Hed posted:

Has the trusty Polyscience 7306c immersion circulator been succeeded? It's still in their site but says things like "from 200x - 2012" and it seems like a lot of stores are showing this thing in its stead:

I'd probably rather use my home-built one than use this backlit LCD

Don't know if you're interested in "beta testing" a product but the Nomiku seems to be an alternative, it's on kickstarter and doesn't ship till december... http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nomiku/nomiku-bring-sous-vide-into-your-kitchen

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Occasionally (rarely) you can find polyscience professionals on eBay for about 450 to 500 bucks. Obviously the Nomiku's not out yet, but I can't imagine it being quality enough to not make the extra money worth it for the polyscience pro. It's a really, really, really nice piece of equipment.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have the old school Polyscience, don't remember what model. It's the bomb, but its huge. I've been thinking of selling it and getting a sous vide supreme

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Just received my Amco Lime Juicer in the mail. Time to go buy 50 limes.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Flash Gordon, would you elaborate on why? I was looking at getting a big immersion circulator eventually. I like the idea of being able to use different size vessels depending on how much I'm doing but maybe I'm overrating that feature and it would still be a PITA.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Read the OP and got off to a good start, and wouldn't mind running some knife questions by people.

Background info: Cook almost exclusively vegetarian and try to avoid using canned / frozen food which means I spend a lot of time dicing / cutting a wide range of veggies. Currently have a $10 Asian style 8" Cuisinart knife and no pairing knife. I want to upgrade because the Cuisinart knife is so light it actually feels flimsy in my hands when I work with it. I've got a budget of around $200 for a chef and pairing knife.

Reviews I've read online so far have been pretty postive for the Moritaka Deluxe Gyuto Chef's Knife, 210mm (8.3"), Aogami/Blue #2 Carbon Steel. I like the style of the knife but I'm worried the grip will piss me off in the long run - has anyone had the chance to use one of these? I could pair it with the Wusthof Classic pairing knife and be under my budget.

Alternatively I could just get the whole Wusthof Classic Asian set and be right at budget.

Thoughts on heft / grip between these?

cougar cub fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 14, 2012

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

cougar cub posted:

Read the OP and got off to a good start, and wouldn't mind running some knife questions by people.

Background info: Cook almost exclusively vegetarian and try to avoid using canned / frozen food which means I spend a lot of time dicing / cutting a wide range of veggies. Currently have a $10 Asian style 8" Cuisinart knife and no pairing knife. I want to upgrade because the Cuisinart knife is so light it actually feels flimsy in my hands when I work with it. I've got a budget of around $200 for a chef and pairing knife.

Have you considered going somewhere where you could hold these knives in person to get an idea of what they're like? I'm pretty sure I my Henckel chef and Wusthof paring knife from a Williams Sonoma in a mall. Bed Bath & Beyond might also be an option?

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Charmmi posted:

I enjoy this video, mostly for his soothing voice. I guess it's pretty good knife advice too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIw5ChGOADE

Thanks for this, extremely helpful.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hed posted:

Flash Gordon, would you elaborate on why? I was looking at getting a big immersion circulator eventually. I like the idea of being able to use different size vessels depending on how much I'm doing but maybe I'm overrating that feature and it would still be a PITA.

yeah, I was gonna ask this too and had typed out a reply but then just decided to close the window.

as far as I know, sous vide supreme doesn't actually circulate the water - do you really want to go from having a real circulator to a tepid puddle bath?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Buddy of Dane's and mine is using his beer equipment... Nothing beats a 7.5kw heater, a magnet stirrer and a 200 liter vat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

J Greedy posted:

Have you considered going somewhere where you could hold these knives in person to get an idea of what they're like? I'm pretty sure I my Henckel chef and Wusthof paring knife from a Williams Sonoma in a mall. Bed Bath & Beyond might also be an option?

Yeah that would be best - I'm in Canada though and having trouble tracking down these specific knives in retail stores. BB&B and a local store Call The Kettle Black both carry Wusthof, but not the exact one I'm looking at - probably still worth going down there to see the general feel of their knives though.

• Locked thread