Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I just started Supergo and I have zero problems with passwords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Popelmon posted:

I just started Supergo and I have zero problems with passwords.

Started the podcast, or this month's episode? The latter is still password protected and not yet uploaded to iTunes. Given that it's only a day late, I'm not fretting.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 2, 2012

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I'll always have a soft spot for the Nerdist because it's brought me The Indoor Kids, The Todd Glass Show, You Made it Weird, and most important to me, The JV Club. But I haven't listened in ages and don't think I will unless they have on someone amazing.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lamuella posted:

my problem with Nerdist is that the hosts are more amused by themselves than I am by them. I don't feel they need me there to have their good time.

Chris Hardwick has never met a stupid cum joke he didn't like. He has the same sense of humor as Kevin Smith.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Mr. Squishy posted:

Started the podcast, or this month's episode? The latter is still password protected and not yet uploaded to iTunes. Given that it's only a day late, I'm not fretting.

Ah yes, I use iTunes for everything :shobon:.

I just recently unsubscribed from Nerdist on my Phone. I still get the updates on my computer so I can see when they get someone really interesting but that hasn't been the case for a long, long time.

They haven't even lost any quality...I'm just not interested anymore.

On a long-ish train ride today I ran out of podcasts. I had to listen to 3 Apple Sisters episodes. I think I have diabetes now.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Sometimes it takes them a couple of days to post the new episode. Especially on weekends.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I'm pretty sure we can all agree that Chris Hardwick and Matt Mira are usually the worst part of the Nerdist network

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

I'm pretty sure we can all agree that Chris Hardwick and Matt Mira are usually the worst part of the Nerdist network

Don't forget Jonah "Ray" Rodrigues.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
It's still amazing to me that Matt Mira is an Internet Celebrity mainly because Jimmy Dore needed to fix his computer one day.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I like Chris and Jonah :shobon:.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Auritech posted:

It's still amazing to me that Matt Mira is an Internet Celebrity mainly because Jimmy Dore needed to fix his computer one day.

Yeah that's crazy to me. I mean, he's put in the work since to get to where he is so good for him, but I really doubt if that hadn't happened he'd be an on-air personality and producer by now, if ever.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Al! posted:

Don't forget Jonah "Ray" Rodrigues.

I'm from Hawaii! Let's talk about Hawaii for 20 minutes! Have you ever been to the corner of Ka'e'a'ka'ala'kaak'aka'a and Upuo'o'o'eeeaianana? I grew up like 3 hours from there!!

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

indigi posted:

Yeah that's crazy to me. I mean, he's put in the work since to get to where he is so good for him, but I really doubt if that hadn't happened he'd be an on-air personality and producer by now, if ever.

My issue with Mira is that it seems he has to be harassed to do the work. All he does is complain and his friends have taken him this far in spite of himself.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Auritech posted:

Nah he'd still be famous because there's still the golf cart video.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Groucho Marxist posted:

Nah he'd still be famous because there's still the golf cart video.

YouTube famous is one thing, but Mira's kept his name across a lot of podcasts and gets on television as more than just a punching bag for that one clip.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Bunk Rogers posted:

My issue with Mira is that it seems he has to be harassed to do the work. All he does is complain and his friends have taken him this far in spite of himself.
True, but a lot of us need that sometimes. And bottom line, he still did it. You don't keep a job in television if you don't do the work, and you don't get on air unless you have some sort of personality. He got a few lucky breaks and made the most of them. I'm jealous as gently caress, but I'm not gonna deny his part in it.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Has Pepsi Next finally stopped sponsoring podcasts? I think I can finally listen without fear now.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why is Pepsi even advertising on podcasts in the first place

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Because the next best thing to tasting it is listening to it through your ear-holes.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

I think it's going to get worse from here on out, now that advertisers know how desperate comedy podcasts seem to be for money. How much, I wonder, does Earwolf pay for hosting, let alone recording, and how much possibly could Pepsi ads have paid them for a run that lasted several weeks on however many podcasts Earwolf produces? Does the talent get paid?

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
The thing about Matt Mira is... He seems like a perfectly normal, reasonable, intelligent, even funny guy. But I don't think he's enough of any of those things to be entertaining. It's like, I bet he'd be fun to hang out with, but I wouldn't pay money to see him do anything. In that sense, I feel he's miscast as a professional entertainer. I don't have anything against the guy.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Well, hmm, looks like Nerdist Industries just got bought by Legendary Entertainment. Not sure how I feel about this.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Me neither, but I'm leaning toward "bad." I guess it was just a matter of time before big production companies realized there were IP gold mines that could be had for pennies on the dollar. I doubt we'll see any negative impact in the next few months, and I also believe that Chris has the best intentions, but uh... Legendary Entertainment doesn't seem to be in the "indie/DIY content made with love" business. I doubt they know or care what a podcast even is. But you look at the list of people who are producing shows for free and it seems like a no-brainer to get involved and acquire a valuable brand in the process. Turn one of those things into a TV show or syndicated radio show every 12-18 months and you're golden.

As long as they are totally hands-off You Made it Weird and The JV Club I don't really care one way or the other what they wind up doing. But we're at an interesting crossroads in the podcasting medium. I hope they don't lose what I love about them.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

indigi posted:

Me neither, but I'm leaning toward "bad." I guess it was just a matter of time before big production companies realized there were IP gold mines that could be had for pennies on the dollar. I doubt we'll see any negative impact in the next few months, and I also believe that Chris has the best intentions, but uh... Legendary Entertainment doesn't seem to be in the "indie/DIY content made with love" business. I doubt they know or care what a podcast even is. But you look at the list of people who are producing shows for free and it seems like a no-brainer to get involved and acquire a valuable brand in the process. Turn one of those things into a TV show or syndicated radio show every 12-18 months and you're golden.

As long as they are totally hands-off You Made it Weird and The JV Club alone I don't really care one way or the other. But we're at an interesting crossroads in the podcasting medium. I hope they don't lose what I love about them.

There are so many stories about old media companies taking independent outfits and either ruining them or just outright killing them. Video game podcasts fell victim to this a while ago, so I'm not surprised (but very dismayed) that it's now starting to happen to comedy podcasts. This was actually part of the point I was making a few posts up too: how much do the podcast networks need money so that they'll either take slightly humiliating ad deals, or now get bought out by old media?

I don't think Nerdist's podcasts will change much in the short run, but probably in nine months or so, Legendary will probably start flooding the channel with inane podcasts about each of their new movies coming out until the brand gets so bloated it carries little resemblance.

I mean, I hope not, but I've seen similar things happen before.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Or they could give Todd Glass a movie deal.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Auritech posted:

Well, hmm, looks like Nerdist Industries just got bought by Legendary Entertainment. Not sure how I feel about this.
Nerdist teaser trailer before The Dark Knight Rises.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Nerdist teaser trailer before The Dark Knight Rises.

I thought The Dark Knight Rises was basically viral marketing for a new Tom Lennon podcast.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

Auritech posted:

Ugh, this was hard to read. Not so much because of the content as all the so-random amazingtastic gorilla punching bullshit.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

"Yeah, I used to like comedy podcasts, but then they went all corporate." - all of us in 3 years

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

"Yeah, I used to like comedy podcasts, but then they went all corporate." - all of us in 3 years

No worries, there will still be an sponsor-free Walking the Room! Assuming Greg and Dave haven't killed each other by then...

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

You say that like going corporate isn't usually terrible for art and expression. It's scary, although I believe your MaxFun, your WTF, your WtRs will always be independent and doing it for love of the g- er, medium/format.

Even Earwolf is indie, technically, but you've got a jerk of a businessman in Jeff Ulrich running it and I can't say the quality of shows hasn't taken a dip over the past 3-6 months. I've dropped pretty much every Earwolf show beside CBB! and I've even been skipping some of those. Who Charted really took a nosedive near the end/immediately following Dustin's departure and I'm not fully sure why cause it's not like his impact on the show was apparent at all.

Anyway, my point is that once profit and expansion and Cross-Platform Synergy become the driving force instead of doing a thing they love and making some money off it - and I have no problem with a Jimmy Pardo, a Jesse Thorn, or a Janet Varney being handsomely compensated from their podcasts - the content kind of has to change as well.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Nerdist stuff is the one of tamest, safest, geek podcast networks out there, them 'going corporate' won't have much effect, I imagine.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Yeah cause that's how giant media companies tend to do things, with such a light touch you don't even notice they're there! I forgot about that.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

The problem is that podcasts are a money hole, and corporations exist solely to make money. Legendary produces content in the billions of dollars that sees revenue coming back to them, whereas podcasts really are more of a creation tool and a discussion platform than they are anything else. Eventually, the podcasts who don't make money are going to start getting a layer of scrutiny, and those that seem to cost more to host than the download counts justify will start disappearing from the network. This is why I prefer podcasts having a public radio model of donations and merchandise, since I've always seen podcasts as a way to promote the talent than to make money. After all, Marc Maron felt he was pretty much done as a performer until his podcast broke big, and it's been amazing to watch him evolve from what WTF started out being to what it is now.

On the other hand, I can't blame Chris for doing it, I'm sure he wants to create more content more than he wants to run a business, but at the end of the day, the podcasts will have to justify to the new owners why they exist and what value they hold.

Also I feel like there's a general inferiority complex for new media, like they don't feel legitimate because they don't have the revenue streams of old media or the content distribution or the production values, and it doesn't help that people like us are reacting pretty negatively to attempts to advertise on podcasts the same way they advertise on morning radio.

A lot of serious words about comedy podcasts!!!!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Jet Jaguar posted:

No worries, there will still be an sponsor-free Walking the Room! Assuming Greg and Dave haven't killed each other by then...

The latest WTR they talked about how they're looking for a podcast network. They defiantly wont be on Earwolf but christ I hope they don't end up with smodcast. Come on Jesse Thorne pick up Dave and Greg. They've got the same business model in mind even though they don't have the same feel as the other maxfun podcasts.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

CommunistMojo posted:

The latest WTR they talked about how they're looking for a podcast network. They defiantly wont be on Earwolf but christ I hope they don't end up with smodcast. Come on Jesse Thorne pick up Dave and Greg. They've got the same business model in mind even though they don't have the same feel as the other maxfun podcasts.

They said on MBMBAM this week that Jesse's hinted at a new show coming to the network, maybe it's this.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Man, I would love to hear Dave Anthony tear into Jesse.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

SpacePig posted:

They said on MBMBAM this week that Jesse's hinted at a new show coming to the network, maybe it's this.

He just said on Twitter that it isn't a comedy podcast. So that gives WTR a good chance, seeing as it isn't funny.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Mogambo posted:

He just said on Twitter that it isn't a comedy podcast. So that gives WTR a good chance, seeing as it isn't funny.

My guess is it will be a podcast about rap, by white people, for white people. (Not white rap though)

Al! fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Mogambo posted:

Hah. My bet would have been a Put This On podcast, then I checked his twitter feed:

It's amazing, and if you haven't listened to it yet, you'll need to.

The new ‪#MaxFun‬ show is short, monthly, and absolutely revelatory. Fail to listen at your peril.

So it's definitely something pre-existing. Announcement's today, at any rate.

• Locked thread