Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Am I being stupid for lusting after one of these?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/cto/3000124840.html
or
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/2931452463.html

It looks like it could be a fun sedan!

No, not at all. It's arguably the best car MB has ever made, definitely in the top 3.

My parents have had two and they're great cars. Comfortable, well-built and reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I know its the W201 and the W124 that seem to have high praise.

Some one correct me, but this is the era with vacuum operated EVERYTHING. So I figure i will be purchasing lots of tubing to replace every thing. I also know they had a performance aspect to these cars as well, what kind of work would I do in order to get a little bit of oomph out of the engine?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the W201 only ever had vacuum operated central locking and an optional vacuum-operated driver's seat which is baller as hell, but not very easy to find.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
I don't know every chasis that did and didn't but the R107 and C107 had vacuum locks.
They are astoundingly stupid, but don't seem to break all that often. When they do go, it tends to be around the connections so cutting and reattaching the existing tube seems to work.
Never done it myself though.

Although I know they exist I have never seen a vacuum seat on any chasis.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Thumbs up or down?
http://quadcities.craigslist.org/cto/3021923255.html

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

IMHO meh, the C class doesn't do much for me though.

Someone buy this cheap 560SL before I do something dumb: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/3019686224.html

Great color, not too bad of shape--$3800 could be a steal.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

Someone buy this cheap 560SL before I do something dumb: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/3019686224.html

Great color, not too bad of shape--$3800 could be a steal.

You could flip that on ebay and make $500 no question.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I'm looking into buying my mom an older body SL500, which she thinks looks 10 times better than the new ones. Im inclined to agree. She used to own a mid 80s SEL 500 sedan, so I can imagine why she loves the look of these cars.

After looking into it, they are surprisingly cheap! Now, my questions -

1998 vs 1999. 1999 has more features, and seems to look a tad bit sharper (smoother) with a nicer interior. I've heard the 1998 has a better engine (more horsepower, more torque, better reliability). Is that true? Would I be sacrificing reliability and power for a newer looking body style? Power, I don't really care about. She's not much of a street racer, but I'd certainly like this thing to be reliable.

I'm looking at 99 AMG packages with 50k miles for $16,000 or so. She's very close with a woman whose husband works at a Mercedes dealership as the head mechanic, which is what sparked this conversation. He will do any work on any Benz she (or her family members) may have for very cheap, which kinda takes a big risk out of owning these cars. I've been told that these body styles were very reliable (compared to Mercs of 2001-2005, Chrysler Im guessing?)

So, my question is, what do you suggest? 98 or 99?

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Crazy685 posted:

I'm looking into buying my mom an older body SL500... better reliability....sacrificing reliability ...this thing to be reliable.

..... 99 AMG packages .... I've been told that these body styles were very reliable (

FLY, YOU FOOL!

Seriously, you mentioned reliability many times. If that is even in your top ten concerns you need to run, not walk, from any Mercedes built after 92 or that isn't still under warranty.

The SLs built after 96 don't suffer from the wiring harness issues, but they are pretty god drat far from what I would call reliable.

If this is a weekend cruiser, sure no problem, but if your mom needs this thing to start on a regular basis you should look elsewhere.

On a side note, wow, what a great son you are!

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
She's an older lady who lost an absolute ton in her life, and does a lot for other less fortunate (re: cleft pallet) people, with very little return. She absolutely loves those cars and I'm finally in a position to afford it, so I figured why not.

You absolutely crushed my dreams. They aren't reliable, huh? That's a shame. I figured they were like our old 4 door SELs that were rock solid tanks, plus with her patient's husband being a head Mercedes mechanic...

drat. Oh well.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Crazy685 posted:

You absolutely crushed my dreams. They aren't reliable, huh? That's a shame. I figured they were like our old 4 door SELs that were rock solid tanks, plus with her patient's husband being a head Mercedes mechanic

German cars need to be looked after. I wouldnt say that any car isn't reliable... just a matter of headaches. For some reason anything remotely out of spec on European cars just don't want to work worth a poo poo.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Crazy685 posted:

She's an older lady who lost an absolute ton in her life, and does a lot for other less fortunate (re: cleft pallet) people, with very little return. She absolutely loves those cars and I'm finally in a position to afford it, so I figured why not.

You absolutely crushed my dreams. They aren't reliable, huh? That's a shame. I figured they were like our old 4 door SELs that were rock solid tanks, plus with her patient's husband being a head Mercedes mechanic...

drat. Oh well.

If she's like my mom and will put a limited amount of miles on it and do the maintenance on time, she might be ok. It sounds like it wouldn't be her daily driver anyway.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

einTier posted:

If she's like my mom and will put a limited amount of miles on it and do the maintenance on time, she might be ok. It sounds like it wouldn't be her daily driver anyway.

She has an older suburban she drives (a 1996 that's been her daily driver since then... and she still only has 115k miles on it) so I imagine the SL would get driven maybe 5-6k miles a year. Maybe. At most.

She likes the suburban because she does dog rescue in her spare time and it allows her to get 3-4 dogs in there, in the cages. (seriously, even when shes not giving all her hours to less fortunate people she's out helping less fortunate animals) so this would be more of a... weekend type car.

She used to have a lot of money but when my parent's divorced she kinda lost her mind and went super broke. She's not one for worldly possessions but whenever we are out and she sees one of those body styles she constantly says "I've always liked that car" and for her to say that, she must love it, so I wanted to surprise her.

Reliability is a concern for ME simply because if something breaks, I'll feel responsible to fix it and if it's a $5000 thing that'll crush me because I don't have that kind of money to drop on something like my mother's weekend car. Not yet... anyway.

It's either a low (45-50k) mileage 99 SL500 or another car she's constantly made reference to liking, the 97-2005 Xk8. And I'm sure as hell not getting her a used Jaguar and expecting it to be anything but a massive headache and pile of bills so... (Even though I know it's the Ford 4.0 liter, I believe, which was relatively rock solid compared to the old Jags)

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 10, 2012

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Posted elsewhere before I knew there was a Mercedes thread, but here are two cars I photographed for a local company:

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
As interesting as the black series are, I always look at them and wonder why someone would by an SL65 Black over a couple of year old SLR.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Tai-Pan posted:

As interesting as the black series are, I always look at them and wonder why someone would by an SL65 Black over a couple of year old SLR.

I guess if they already have a new SLR haha

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Depreciation on the 65's is nuts. I've seen a few S65's and CL65's for almost 30k. Even an SL65 can be had for around 50k.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tai-Pan posted:

Well, the SLR is quite a bit more ostentatious than the SL65 Black. :dong:

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Crazy685 posted:

... the 97-2005 Xk8. And I'm sure as hell not getting her a used Jaguar and expecting it to be anything but a massive headache and pile of bills so... (Even though I know it's the Ford 4.0 liter, I believe, which was relatively rock solid compared to the old Jags)

If you are looking for a turn-key car that won't cost you quite a bit to repair you shouldn't be looking at super-luxury cars to begin with. Cars depreciate but maintenance and parts do not.
That said, if she has another car, the SL might not be a bad choice, but don't expect your "friend" to remain a friend for long if you expect him to regularly tear into that SL500.

Now, to the point, the later model XK8s have turned out to be pretty reliable is you find one that has already had the transmission replaced.

Residency Evil posted:

Well, the SLR is quite a bit more ostentatious than the SL65 Black. :dong:

I guess if you were going for subtle you wouldn't choose a car with 4 foot wide flared arches to begin with.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 11, 2012

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tai-Pan posted:

Now, to the point, the later model XK8s have turned out to be pretty reliable is you find one that has already had the transmission replaced.

This is good to know... Because the XK8 is an absolutely stunning car. I wonder if there would be interest in starting a British car thread.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Hum. That actually backs up my confirmation bias from our experience with a 1997 Xk8 when my father had one. Back in 1998 he bought a year old Black Xk8 Vert and it was rock solid until 2001, when he needed a new transmission. He traded it in on an XjR, and has been cycling over XjRs since 2001 every 3 years.

I love the look of the Jags, but figured they were money pits. If it can not fall apart from 6-7k miles a year of driving maybe I'll look into one. They are even cheaper.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I think the XK8 had a Mercedes transmission. Unusual, Mercedes automatics are some of the best out there.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I think the XK8 had a Mercedes transmission. Unusual, Mercedes automatics are some of the best out there.

If I remember correctly, the R version had the Mercedes transmissions, not the 8s

edit: Just to update - I'm looking at a used XkR now. Thanks a lot AI, you've officially done it again. The reports from people who put 8-10k miles a year on them are all glowing, with average maintenance running $750-$1000 a year. (Not counting tires every 2 years)

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 16, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hey all, just starting some research. I've never been much of a Benz wrecher, but now I need to help a friend who is looking at an '87 560sec.

I told him to get a PPI (like I tell everyone thinking of doing something like this) but he asked if I could go give it a once over before he spends the money on that. I'm just starting my research, and assuming someone on some forum had a decent checklist of common problem spots and things to look for.

Any ideas or pointers for me?

Edit: So far I found this:

http://web.archive.org/web/20110723192855/http://www.mbcoupes.com/buyersguide/buyersguide.htm

Seems like well reasoned advice, but I have no way of knowing if it's complete.

I also don't know how to price this car, as it's long since fallen off the KBB tables.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 30, 2012

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I didn't know that, I thought all the XK8s ran ZF Autoboxes.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

You Am I posted:

I didn't know that, I thought all the XK8s ran ZF Autoboxes.

Yes, The lower specs use ZF... 5HP24 (I believe) and the super charged models used the Mercedes auto.

I swear that 5HP24 is used in about everything. Its not a bad transmission unless they go to that stupid "lifetime fluid" poo poo.

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Mercedessource?feature=watch

This guy has some good tech tips for older Mercedes. Seems pretty knowledgeable.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 30, 2012

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009
'03 and up use a ZF 6HP26 on both versions. My '03 XKR has 93k miles and has been fine mechanically. The old owner (my father) racked up a ton of miles in short order and year round but I don't drive much as it is and only take it out once it gets warmer.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

If I remember correctly, the R version had the Mercedes transmissions, not the 8s

edit: Just to update - I'm looking at a used XkR now. Thanks a lot AI, you've officially done it again. The reports from people who put 8-10k miles a year on them are all glowing, with average maintenance running $750-$1000 a year. (Not counting tires every 2 years)
If it's an 01 or earlier, make sure it has metal timing chain tensioners installed. They were plastic from the factory :v:

quote:

The engine serial number encodes the date the engine came off the engine assembly line. The conversion to metal tensioners occurred on August 13, 2001, thus a serial number of 010813xxxx (YYMMDDHHMM). There is no direct correlation between the engine serial number (date of engine assembly) and the VIN although a dealer can provide the engine number from the VIN.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
There's a person in my area trying to tell their european 79 300D for 4500, which to me seems really, really steep. It's got 170k miles on it and allegedly has the maintenance records and everything, and while I haven't personally looked at it yet (waiting for the price to drop) I just feel like that's a pretty steep price tag when I can get a comparable 240d for a quarter of the price.

What intrigues me about it, though, is that it's a om617 engine with a manual transmission which I've never seen before outside of people swapping 300d engines into a 240d. I'm pretty sure it has manual everything which would make it less of a pain and the rear end than my 82 300sd and its byzantine vacuum system.

Assuming the car is mechanically sound does the manual transmission really make it worth the 4500 dollar price tag? I know there aren't a lot of the european 300d w123s in the states, but does it really drive the price up that much? I've never seen one of these for sale before so I don't know what I should be paying for one.

(I saw a post in this thread from last year that says they usually go for around 6000 on ebay, is that still true? I could at least buy it and flip it, then.)

eighty-four merc fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 1, 2012

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

If it is in perfect condition, that is the average going rate for a euro manual 300D.

When one came up for sale for ~1000 that had a blown engine I nearly begged, borrowed, and stole to get it; it got parted out though.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

SLAMMYsosa posted:

There's a person in my area trying to tell their european 79 300D for 4500, which to me seems really, really steep. It's got 170k miles on it and allegedly has the maintenance records and everything, and while I haven't personally looked at it yet (waiting for the price to drop) I just feel like that's a pretty steep price tag when I can get a comparable 240d for a quarter of the price.

What intrigues me about it, though, is that it's a om617 engine with a manual transmission which I've never seen before outside of people swapping 300d engines into a 240d. I'm pretty sure it has manual everything which would make it less of a pain and the rear end than my 82 300sd and its byzantine vacuum system.

Assuming the car is mechanically sound does the manual transmission really make it worth the 4500 dollar price tag? I know there aren't a lot of the european 300d w123s in the states, but does it really drive the price up that much? I've never seen one of these for sale before so I don't know what I should be paying for one.

(I saw a post in this thread from last year that says they usually go for around 6000 on ebay, is that still true? I could at least buy it and flip it, then.)

I would think given a really nice body and a good color combination that it would be worth it. I'd be interested. If it has a five-speed manual, even more so. A five-speed is rare as can be, even more so than a four-speed manual 300d.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

trouser chili posted:

I would think given a really nice body and a good color combination that it would be worth it. I'd be interested. If it has a five-speed manual, even more so. A five-speed is rare as can be, even more so than a four-speed manual 300d.

It's a four-speed manual. One of the craigslist ads is here, with pictures. I'm not crazy about the color combination but it does appear to be in pretty good condition. They first were trying to sell it for 5500, then dropped the price to 4800, and it's been at 4500 for a while. I keep meaning to go take a look at it but I haven't had much time off work the past couple weeks. And also I've been waiting for the price to drop some more since I'd rather pay 3500 for the thing.

edit: ugh just noticed it has those lovely looking (aftermarket?) headlights that half the used w123s in this area have

eighty-four merc fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 2, 2012

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

SLAMMYsosa posted:

It's a four-speed manual. One of the craigslist ads is here, with pictures. I'm not crazy about the color combination but it does appear to be in pretty good condition. They first were trying to sell it for 5500, then dropped the price to 4800, and it's been at 4500 for a while. I keep meaning to go take a look at it but I haven't had much time off work the past couple weeks. And also I've been waiting for the price to drop some more since I'd rather pay 3500 for the thing.

edit: ugh just noticed it has those lovely looking (aftermarket?) headlights that half the used w123s in this area have

Those are the Euro style headlamps. They're desirable but I don't actually like them much. The car looks pretty solid but filthy. I'd still be interested, but at less than $4,500.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

trouser chili posted:

Those are the Euro style headlamps. They're desirable but I don't actually like them much. The car looks pretty solid but filthy. I'd still be interested, but at less than $4,500.

what do you think a fair price would be if the compression is good? All the other w123s around here are either auto 240ds or overpriced 300 turbos.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SLAMMYsosa posted:

lovely looking?

Those were what the car was designed to have.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

So, I am thinking about getting a (4 speed, on the floor) 1966 W110 220D. The fuel timing is hosed, so it would be 1000 (listed, but likely lower with some talking) plus a trip to the mechanic.

How horrible of an idea is this? Considering I have never seen a W110 at the local wrecking yard, I suspect anything I ever need will not be pleasant.

I heart the eugenics in my driveway of only having W123 (77 300D, 79 240D, and an 85 300D I am going to sell) but this car looks pretty awesome.

PS: +1 for euro W123 lights looking lovely

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

SLAMMYsosa posted:

what do you think a fair price would be if the compression is good? All the other w123s around here are either auto 240ds or overpriced 300 turbos.

Well, I think it's in the neighborhood. Locality matters a lot as well. I think $4000 would be pretty fair to both the seller and the buyer, maybe a bit more toward the seller. $3,500 and the scales are tipped to the buyer I think.

I paid a bit over $4,500 for this manual transmission 240d, but it came with another automatic-equipped 240d and a set of LED headlamps. The other 240d sold for a grand and the headlamps sell for about $250 a piece. I think I made out pretty well. I'd like to upgrade it someday to a 300d motor, essentially ending with the same car you are looking at buying. I'm guessing the conversion will cost me about $1000. You'll still have those svelte euro bumpers though, whereas I'll have Federal park-bench bumpers. The euro bumpers are quite desirable but given how I use my 240d, I'm pretty happy with the battle bumpers. If however I were to also switch to the euro bumpers I'd probably be looking at spending $500. Basically to build your car out of my car, I'd be looking at adding another $1,500 to my purchase cost, so even at $4,500 I think if you really like the car, it's an OK buy.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 3, 2012

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I bought a 93' W124 wagon for 900 bux..then drove it cross country with 1100 lb in/behind it....after it sat since 2009.
It has a M104 3.2 litre and a (reverseless!) 722.3

I would *never* do such things with a british car.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

I would *never* do such things with a british car.

Where is your sense of adventure?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
With the tow company. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority

trouser chili posted:

Well, I think it's in the neighborhood. Locality matters a lot as well. I think $4000 would be pretty fair to both the seller and the buyer, maybe a bit more toward the seller. $3,500 and the scales are tipped to the buyer I think.

I paid a bit over $4,500 for this manual transmission 240d, but it came with another automatic-equipped 240d and a set of LED headlamps.

and the seller still cries himself to sleep every night :doh: