Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Question for you guys : How often do you attend a class / school / dojo / instructional session, how often do you practice on your own, and how often do lift weights and work on conditioning? Do you have a "real job," too? I only ask because spending 20 hours a week on their Martial Arts is a lot different if that's your only obligation, or if you're working 40 hours a week, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

niethan posted:

Crosspost.
Goon-League update
I am now undefeated in mma.

I had an amateur fight, rule was no elbows ever, no strikes to the head of a downed opponent. Catchweight 78 kilos (171lbs) with me coming up from 76(167) and him down from 83(182). In the end he only got down to 80.5(177). Fight day he was 85(187) and I was 77(169). Pride never die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpMgunkuKZA
Guy came in aggressive as gently caress, and basically half knocked me down half convinced me to pull guard shoot a brazilian double. Then he proceded to illegaly punch me in the face whenever i went for leglocks, twice in the first round,getting him warned, us reset, and earning him a 2 point deduction in the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry9Ut0r2slQ
In round 2 I connected with an ok overhand but then decided to/was convinced to go to the ground again, where he kicked and punched me resulting in a dq win for me.

I feel like without his cheating I might have gotten one of the early leglocks i was going for, and he was visibly fading in the second round, so there even better. Also depends on how the judges would have scored the knockdowns/guard pulls. Might have eked it out even under pride rules, maybe I'd have finished the leglocks, i don't know.

So all in all this is about as lovely a win as can be, but it's a win, so now I can proudly say that I have a straight winning record, I've never gone the distance, and have never been stopped.

(Obviously critique on my shittyness is welcome)

Okay this was a really weird fight

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Pagan posted:

Question for you guys : How often do you attend a class / school / dojo / instructional session, how often do you practice on your own, and how often do lift weights and work on conditioning? Do you have a "real job," too? I only ask because spending 20 hours a week on their Martial Arts is a lot different if that's your only obligation, or if you're working 40 hours a week, too.

2.5 hours x 5-6 times per week instruction/sparring/rolling. Haven't lifted in the last couple of months since my school changed locations (we used to be in the back of a normal gym so we got membership there as part of the deal) but I've been thinking about mixing it back in. Only problem is that I have gym access at work and home but they're both lovely machine/aerobic equipment/couple of dumb-bell setups, no squat racks etc.

I work a real (boring) job full-time, 45 hours per week on average.

If I didn't have a real job I imagine I'd train morning and night and spend 90% of the time injured.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

If we're posting awful fight videos here's mine

Rd1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeBUVphQ6I0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Rd2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw-5I0ZxGIo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Rd3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yjgSM1JQIk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'm in the black shorts, it was my first fight, his 5th, my mouth guard fell out 3 times which is why I got a point deducted. I also got kicked in the liver heaps. Only started to feel comfortable towards the end of the 3rd round. Didn't gas out or anything but needed to be more aggressive and loosen up, was too tense and everything felt awkward/half speed. Lost the decision obviously.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gimpsuitjones posted:

Rd1

Rd2

Rd3

I'm in the black shorts, it was my first fight, his 5th, my mouth guard fell out 3 times which is why I got a point deducted. I also got kicked in the liver heaps. Only started to feel comfortable towards the end of the 3rd round. Didn't gas out or anything but needed to be more aggressive and loosen up, was too tense and everything felt awkward/half speed. Lost the decision obviously.

I don't know anything about kickboxing(?) but I'll agree that you needed to be more aggressive and you did eat a lot of kicks. It looked like you were on to something at the beginning of r2 but then backed off about halfway through. It looked like you went all out at the end of r3 but still had plenty of energy left maybe start going harder sooner? My opinion doesn't really mean much as I'm not a striker but either way it was a fun fight to watch. Good first fight.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Back in college, I did kendo for about a year. Never got so far as to do a tournament, but I had a lot of fun. Now it's a few years later, I'm older and fatter but trying to get in better shape again, so I'm planning to try doing some suburi and other solo things.

Are there any other kendo goons in the SF Bay Area? It's kind of a drive to any dojo around here, so I was hoping a local kendoka could share some info.

Also, does anybody know about shinkendo? There's a place very close, but from the limited wikipedia page it doesn't necessarily seem that close to kendo, despite the name.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Guilty posted:

You cut weight primarily because you want to be the biggest fucker in your weight category. The guys at the top are most likely to have the longest reach for striking. Also because carrying around fat isn't useful at all. If you can bring more muscle mass into the fight, more power to you, definitely do that. The only advantage is that you can carb load the night before.

Also, I would not let anyone who trains twice a week into any sort of fight in which striking is allowed. That's just retarded. You need to switch gyms before you get hurt, or even worse, lose your will to fight

Oh no bro I know what weight cutting is any why to do it, I've done it for grappling comps. In this case we originally agreed on a catchweight that was a kilo over my walking around weight (he proceeded to miss that weight by a bit), so there was no reason to cut weight for me here.

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank

Pagan posted:

I have two kids 7 and 10 and I am a high school English teacher and cub scout den leader. Right now it is summer obviously so I have way more time so I am going about 4 times a week at an hour a time. They just started bjj on Tues and Thurs from 7:30 to 9. If I add that into the stand up classes I'd be going Mon-Thurs and Sat. That's not going to happen even now and who knows how mich things will fall apart when swork and scouts start up again.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I work 45hr weeks (no overtime as an intern)

and I train 3.5-5hr a day. 5hr on Sunday, 3.5 on normal days.

But I'm absurdly tired/out of it at the moment, and it's certainly not applicable with social obligations. I also take saturday off.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pham Nuwen posted:

Back in college, I did kendo for about a year. Never got so far as to do a tournament, but I had a lot of fun. Now it's a few years later, I'm older and fatter but trying to get in better shape again, so I'm planning to try doing some suburi and other solo things.

Are there any other kendo goons in the SF Bay Area? It's kind of a drive to any dojo around here, so I was hoping a local kendoka could share some info.

Also, does anybody know about shinkendo? There's a place very close, but from the limited wikipedia page it doesn't necessarily seem that close to kendo, despite the name.

If swords are your thing, have you considering going West and switching to fencing? It's also loads of fun. :D

My training is dependent on the university's schedule. During the school year I drill twice a week for two hours each and am able to open bout 2 a week for another two hours (getting, roughly, 3-7 bouts). Also, I bout at a separate club most of the time for another two hours a week. When it's not, once or twice a week of open bouting is all I get.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Is an hour really enough for Muay Thai? I'm back home for a bit and the gym does hour classes too. I paid for the 2 weeks I was down, unlimited classes. However, I'll be visiting more frequently over the weekends. What do you guys think is a fair "per class" rate? They're cool dudes. And let me gently caress off for an hour on the bags while they start their BJJ class.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Christoff posted:

Is an hour really enough for Muay Thai?
Any time you spend training helps.

quote:

What do you guys think is a fair "per class" rate?

Depends on where you live.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Pham Nuwen posted:

Shinkendo is Toshiro Obata's creation. I believe it is primarily composed from his background in Toyama-Ryu and Yoshinkan Aikido.

It's not koryu or a gendai family art, but if you wanted to learn how a Japanese sword is supposed to be used it is not a bad place to start and is more readily available.

Iai schools are'nt bad either. But ZNKR iaido is significantly different than koryu or gendai iai schools.

I would try looking into the local colleges or asking asking on e-budo.

Christoff posted:

What do you guys think is a fair "per class" rate? They're cool dudes. And let me gently caress off for an hour on the bags while they start their BJJ class.
Anywhere from $10 (local small town) to $40 (Looking at Marcelo Garcia's academy). It depends heavily on how many hours per day you spend training and where the school is located.

Pagan posted:

I have a 'real' job. My working hours are from 6:30am to 5:00pm. I wake up at 4:30am. I leave the apartment at 5:30 and usually get back around 5:45-6:00pm and generally get to sleep around 10:00-11:00pm. Monday through Thursday.)

If I'm feeling lucky, I'll do about an hour and a half of BJJ 2-3 days per week. I used to train 3-5 days per week but my gym is no longer near my house. (The old gym went under, the instructor has some mental issues and even though he's got a 'new' gym a couple miles away, I want nothing to do with the guy.)

Currently I don't do any lifting or conditioning training because by the time the weekend rolls around I am dead tired. I am generally dead tired during the evening, thus why I'm not practicing as much these days.

If I lived closer to my gym, and had non-lovely working hours. (A 9-5 job.) I would probably be less burnt out and train more often.

If I ever go to graduate school, I might make one last effort to train often. (10-20 hours per week.)

As you get older, your career looms ahead of you and so do family obligations. Its nice to think that if you train hard and put in the hours that you'll be a world champion and be able to support your family and yourself, but unfortunately the real world is not that nice.

I actually recall reading an interview with some up and coming brown belt in his early twenties, who graduated from college with an engineering degree. He talked about how he 'abandoned' his career (not really true since most people dont start their careers until their late twenties or early thirties.) went pro (trains full time) and "If you follow your dreams and work hard, everything will turn out a-ok." I think specifically he left his job, to train BJJ full time, and got some sponsors, and competes. Maybe he moved cross country too, I can't remember. Which is a nice thing to think, but very very rarely does life turn out so.... nicely.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 11, 2012

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

gimpsuitjones posted:

Rd1

Rd2

Rd3

I don't think that's awful at all. Gustsy performance against a guy who knew what he was doing in there. Surprised you didn't gas, you should look as good as him in your 5th fight.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Pagan posted:

I have a (boring) real job as well during your regular office hours. The club I go to is only open 4 days a week in the summer, and I don't have a regular schedule at all (I just go to the classes that suit me on a given day!) but I usually train boxing and savate 4-5 times a week from 1h15min for up to 3 hours a day.

I average about 30 hours of training a month, or an hour per day. I don't train outside of the club regularly, nor do I lift weights. I don't think I could both work at the office and train 3 hours every day in addition to that. I would either transform into a zombie or get so overtrained I would just get worse with every session.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Back in college, a buddy and I trained together at two different schools - one was bjj, one was a mix of everything - for 5-6 days a week, for 2-4 hours a day.

When college ended, I went to grad school and my training dropped tremendously, and then stopped altogether for about 7 years. He continued to train hard, but he stayed in his entry-level job for about four years before getting a marginal promotion.

End result:
My buddy is now an instructor, and I am not.
I have have a wife, a house, a son (who I adore), a graduate degree, and a job that pays much more than his, whereas he just got married, lives in a small apartment, and has a much lower earning potential.

I recently got back into training, because I love this stuff, and there are many days where I regret not taking the path that he took. Sometimes I really wish that I had focused my twenties on training, rather than on my "real" career. Now I have a family and a mortgage payment and I can only give 4-6 hours a week to training, if that. But I love my wife, I love my kid, and I have a solid career.

It's all about tradeoffs.

If you are young, and passionate about martial arts, spend as much time as you can training - you will have less time later in life. Get as much knowledge as you can burned into your muscle memory. The opportunity costs for training get much steeper as you age.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I am mid twenties, standard office job and train 2 to 3 times a week an hour or so of rolling then an hour helping with teaching. I wish I could do 4x a week regularly but my body and schedule makes that difficult. I don't do any outside workouts, I used to do kettle bells on my off days but hard workouts six days a week was making it hard to focus. If I never make it past brown belt, I am fine with that but I hope to train the rest of my life.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

niethan posted:

Oh no bro I know what weight cutting is any why to do it, I've done it for grappling comps. In this case we originally agreed on a catchweight that was a kilo over my walking around weight (he proceeded to miss that weight by a bit), so there was no reason to cut weight for me here.
I think the natural question is, why did you agree to such a fight instead of going down a weight class?

Gix
May 18, 2008

Hail Eris.
Everything changes.
Keep me in flux.
I am the calm center of Chaos.
All hail Discordia.
I'm mid-twenties and a teacher; currently have a free summer! Whoo!

I train with my teachers for three 2ish hours sessions a week, I train on my own for probably 5-10 hours a week, I lift and I run three times a week or more.

It's a lot for me, since I'm making up for spending most of my life as a fat gently caress, and it's really draining and sore. I'm doing Karate and Kobudo, so while it's intense there isn't much physical damage to recover from. Nobody's punching me in the head repeatedly.

I'm lucky in that I can make my job for the summer to get in shape and learn some poo poo.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kimbo305 posted:

Put up your first fight again, scout your opponent some for us, and put up some new sparring footage.

I can do the first. My opponent doesn't have anything, anything online. I don't think he's ever fought before. I'll try to grab some sparring footage over the next couple of days.

I feel like a shithead for breaking the 'no-taper' social norm and taking a day to just jumprope and try to feel less sore, but after thinking about it I definitely need time off before I injure myself.

edit: I'm literally calling in sick ffff

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 11, 2012

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

McNerd posted:

I think the natural question is, why did you agree to such a fight instead of going down a weight class?

My coach was organizing the event and asked me if I want to do a grappling match and I said I'm down for whatever. Originally we were both going to weigh in at 78 kilos but that gradually shifted up as my opponent showed his uselessness at cutting.

It was really like
You wanna fight
Sure
He's heavy
Ok whatever

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I only train on average 2x a week for 1.5 hours. Occasionally it'll be 3 times if I go on the Saturday class.

I'm really not old ( 31 ) but I just don't have any more time/energy than that, what with work, social activities, and wanting to see my fiancee on a regular basis. With a 9-5 job and class starting at 7, by the time I get out of work, commute home, eat in 5 minutes and head out the door again, that leaves me with ( after showering/getting back from class ) ~1 hour before I go to sleep again. I just don't have the energy to do that more than twice in a work week - which is why the weekend classes are nice.

I admit I envy you guys that can go 5+ times a week, I know that the more you do something ( anything ) the better you get at it, especially when it is something cumulative like a martial art. When I first started I was almost a little fanatic that I go to literally every single class available, but it just started burning me out.

However I like to think this is a life-long endeavour/hobby, and I'm not aiming to become a pro fighter or anything, and I'm not on some sort of timeline ( must be at X level by Y date ) so I suppose in that sense it accomplishes exactly what I want - Exercise, Challenging myself, Hitting, Getting hit.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Fontoyn posted:

My opponent doesn't have anything, anything online. I don't think he's ever fought before.

I've been the designated simulation opponent for two guys at our gym prepping for fights. Each time, the only scouting info we had was word of mouth. It's very fun to use a completely different style and tactics, ones that are assigned to you instead of what you naturally go with.

One guy's opponent was a karate guy who had fast hands and loved to use the spinning backfist. When I sparred, I did really weak fast punches and looked for the backfist. In the first minute, I actually landed the backfist really solidly. I have never since pulled one off. But at the last minute, the promoter switched the fight and my training partner lost in SD to a Muay Thai guy.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

McNerd posted:

MMA fights in Germany can be a little rare to come by. Sometimes you just fight because the opportunity is there. I'm pretty sure Stuttgart doesn't have that spectacular of a scene

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I just got back from teaching in Japan for 2 years. While I was there I did about 6 months of karate. I'd like to get back into but I'm willing to try another style. I'm in a fairly small town and one of the only places around here advertises lessons in 8 or 9 different styles. Is this just bullshit? It seems like a pretty incredible claim unless they have 8 or 9 instructors working there.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Depends on how big it is. You could have Muay Thai/Kickboxing, Boxing, Wrestling, BJJ, MMA, and Judo in the same gym. Not likely, but it's possible

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Depends, if they're very similar styles then one guy could probably handle the load. A judo bjj wrestling class could use the same staff.

I knew a school owner with a brown belt in bjj and extensive pro kickboxing experience. He's a great athlete that just gets stuff very fast, and his students do well in both sports.

The odds that it is legit are low but it's not impossible. Post a link to their site.

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005
I know everyone's body is different but I have no idea how people are training 2+ hours 5 days a week.

I'm a kickboxer and train 4x a week at peak, each one hour tops (I train during my lunch hour so I can't go any longer). 2 days straight and I like to have a break, 3 days and I can hardly function.

I do push myself really hard during every session though, whether it's PT, sparring or just general bag work. Had the hardest spar I've had on Tuesday and I couldn't back up the next day.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I like to train twice a day for about 3-4 hours total when I can, but work doesn't let me often.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
On a break until august right now, but my schedule from March to June was basically 3x 2h jits and 3x 1h lifting every week, plus some running.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

henkman posted:

Depends on how big it is. You could have Muay Thai/Kickboxing, Boxing, Wrestling, BJJ, MMA, and Judo in the same gym. Not likely, but it's possible

That place I train at has almost exactly this.

http://warriorgymdc.com/

Possible. Do some research.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
FYI, there is now a subforum for the 2012 Olympic games. Fencers, boxers, wrestlers, TKDers, Judoka, please feel free to discuss the appropriate events, and anyone in any discipline that feels like putting together an informative OP for the above, please feel free.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

henkman posted:

That's pretty much it. They offer classes in:

Brazilian Jiu-jitsu
Jiu-Jitsu (Jujutsu/Jujitsu)
Judo
Kick Boxing
Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
Muay Thai
Sambo
Wrestling
Yoga

So it looks like it's at least worth a look then. The website doesn't have a ton of other info on it but they do offer a consultation and a trial lesson.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Also on forced break until August, I do 2x-3x 1 hour Muay Thai classes, 1x 1.5-2.5 HEMA (sometimes teaching) and try and run/SS in the mornings. I'd love to add Judo/BJJ classes or do more MT or something but the combination of having a life, commuting by bus and every single gym in town deciding to train on the same days makes it rather tricky.

Related, is it just in Holland that training Judo as an inexperienced adult is weird? At every gym there's only brown/black belt adults, all the lower belts are usually 16, max. It makes for very weird training, as I feel like a bitch for wasting BB training time and I don't learn poo poo from the lower belts as I can just pick them up and put them down, and they can't throw me for poo poo.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Dr_Amazing posted:

Brazilian Jiu-jitsu
Judo
Kick Boxing
Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
Muay Thai
Sambo
Wrestling
Yoga

So it looks like it's at least worth a look then. The website doesn't have a ton of other info on it but they do offer a consultation and a trial lesson.

Might as well check them out and see if you like the teaching style. Also, whatever martial arts you decide to train there, I'd recommend also doing the yoga, it's fantastic for flexibility and balance.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rhaka posted:

Related, is it just in Holland that training Judo as an inexperienced adult is weird?

Same here in Germany, but the way stuff like Judo and Karate is taught sucks anyway. The best way to learn useful Judo is to come across a grappling coach with Judo experience at a BJJ/MMA gym.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

generatrix posted:

Might as well check them out and see if you like the teaching style. Also, whatever martial arts you decide to train there, I'd recommend also doing the yoga, it's fantastic for flexibility and balance.

I'd get into yoga if it was offered at my gym.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Got cock-punched twice while sparring last night for some reason. My NuttyBuddy can't arrive soon enough.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Dr_Amazing posted:

Brazilian Jiu-jitsu
Judo
Kick Boxing
Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
Muay Thai
Sambo
Wrestling
Yoga

A lot of those are pretty similar. MMA is just a fusion of any of those styles, BJJ, Jiu-Jitsu, Sambo and Wrestling are all very similar depending on how they are taught and Kick Boxing and Muay Thai are basically the same thing. This isn't necessarily bad, but keep in mind that they're actually presenting 3-4 things rather than 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Somebody on bullshido compiled all of the stories by the "forever fat" guy into a blog.

http://mrbadguyforeverfat.wordpress.com/

Very funny/depressing reading. The guy's had a lifetime of nothing but terrible martial art schools, has a bunch of horrible and embarassing stories, and the way he writes is hilarious.

• Locked thread