Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

The Southern Dandy posted:

Okay, I'll explain if it's complicated. The point is that vigilante justice is completely necessary in a system that can't/won't supply justice.

It's like Death Wish, with less Charles Bronson, but a bit smarter. No need to get petty.

I have absolutely no idea how that is the takeaway you got from that movie considering the main character is very clearly painted as a psychopath and killed his own father for no reason beyond his own paranoia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I have absolutely no idea how that is the takeaway you got from that movie considering the main character is very clearly painted as a psychopath and killed his own father for no reason beyond his own paranoia.

Did you actually watch the movie? The angst of the main character is played out, but he still carries out justice.

If you're an authoritarian check your expectations at the door, I guess.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Did you actually watch the movie? The angst of the main character is played out, but he still carries out justice.

Wow, I enjoyed the movie, but your interpretation makes no sense to me. The main character is extremely disturbed and violent, and I think the party situation and the part where he shoots his dad for no reason other than his obsessive speculation illustrate that pretty well. The fact that he happens to also kill people who "deserve" it seems secondary to me. I thought the main point at the end was that his victory, if you can even call it that, was Pyrrhic and also kind of pointless, since it did nothing to solve any of his problems, both of his parents were dead, and he was likely to continue being a violent psychopath with limited to no ability to relate to any other human being.

I agree with mr. mephistopheles that he unrealistically suffers no legal consequences for his actions, since I tend to think that throwing a guy through a glass coffee table, kicking him repeatedly while he was down, and then beating him with a fireplace poker, all for taking a couple of swings at him and generally being a douchebag - and all in front of a dozen witnesses - should have led to him being booked for assault at the absolute least. But I disagree with him that it was a bad movie, because I liked it, although I thought it didn't live up to its potential, and the way it handled the characters was shallow. I don't see it in any way being an argument for vigilantism, though, and I don't see how anyone could take it that way.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Watched The Rum Diary a few nights ago, definitely worth checking out, but my opinion could be skewed because I really like HST. He still has the normal word choice of HST, with a great flow of words coming through to make a distinct HST sentence, but they don't have him act like he did in Fear and Loathing, with the wide eyed grin and stalking legs. The story is basically HST goes to Puerto Rico to work for a small newspaper but soon some big name realtors want him to start writing pieces praising their land, things go bad. Check it out.

Also, Jim Gaffigan: Mr. Universe is worth watching.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Recently watched Rising Son: The Legend of Skateboarder Christian Hosoi, which turned out to be not only about him, but also worked as a Who's Who of mid 80s to early 90s skateboarders as well as documenting how skating has changed throughout that period and since then, as well as going into why you might not have heard of him, but you probably have heard of Tony Hawk.

Features: Christian Hosoi (duh), Tony Hawk, Bob Burnquist, Tony Alva, Mike McGill, Lance Mountain, and many more people I'm forgetting. It also has a great soundtrack, I'm not sure that I've ever heard Fugazi in a movie before.

The biggest fault I found with it is that near the end after he's arrested, Hosoi finds god in a big way. That's fine by me, what is annoying is that the film gives him 10 minutes to preach to the viewer and talk about how he "never got as high on a skateboard as he is on Jesus". I almost get the impression that that's he only reason he agreed to let himself be their subject, the rest of the movie isn't preachy at all. I don't care that he found religion, it seems to have helped him out of a really lovely spot, I just don't like being preached at. Didn't ruin the film for me, and I don't think less of him for it, just bugged me a bit

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Chiming in that Goon was really entertaining.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sizzler Manager posted:

Wow, I enjoyed the movie, but your interpretation makes no sense to me. The main character is extremely disturbed and violent, and I think the party situation and the part where he shoots his dad for no reason other than his obsessive speculation illustrate that pretty well. The fact that he happens to also kill people who "deserve" it seems secondary to me. I thought the main point at the end was that his victory, if you can even call it that, was Pyrrhic and also kind of pointless, since it did nothing to solve any of his problems, both of his parents were dead, and he was likely to continue being a violent psychopath with limited to no ability to relate to any other human being.

I agree with mr. mephistopheles that he unrealistically suffers no legal consequences for his actions, since I tend to think that throwing a guy through a glass coffee table, kicking him repeatedly while he was down, and then beating him with a fireplace poker, all for taking a couple of swings at him and generally being a douchebag - and all in front of a dozen witnesses - should have led to him being booked for assault at the absolute least. But I disagree with him that it was a bad movie, because I liked it, although I thought it didn't live up to its potential, and the way it handled the characters was shallow. I don't see it in any way being an argument for vigilantism, though, and I don't see how anyone could take it that way.

You know that saying about how it's impossible to make a movie about the horrors of war because it would be effectively unwatchable, and as a result even movies with an anti-war message tend to inadvertently glorify it on some level? Vigilantism is the same way, even if you literally tell the audience that it's bad and the only people who would do it are insane there's always going to be some fascist bootlicker who walks away thinking how cool it would be to get kill poors and the mentally ill and get away with it. Boy Wonder certainly didn't help by making most of his victims ridiculous unredeemable caricatures of criminals who were totally asking for some priveleged white boy to murder them for the greater good.

Farbtoner has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Jul 7, 2012

TheHistoryChannel
Feb 12, 2008

Just watched Ressurect the dead and i loving loved it. I have been following the mystery for about 4 years now and the movie answered a lot of questions.

I encourage anyone who is interested in this kind of thing to make their own. It's not exactly easy but its pretty straightforward. Be careful though, if you get caught placing them the city will freak the gently caress out.

heres the instructions: http://www.instructables.com/id/Linoleum-Asphalt-Mosaics-CRAFT-Video-Podcast/

my recommendation is kind of lame but if you haven't seen 12 Monkey's then you should definitely watch it. Bruce Willis plays a prisoner in a post apocalyptic world and is offered a choice to participate in dangerous experiments that might save man kind. If he survives them he will be granted a pardon.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Goon was a hell of a good movie.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

TheHistoryChannel posted:

12 Monkeys is up.
:dance:

If you haven't seen it it's fantastic. What he didn't mention is that you get to see Brad Pitt really really act in a way he doesn't anymore. He plays a sort of nemesis and pulls off crazy-psycho in a pretty awesome way. Also it was directed by Terry Gilliam. One of my all time favourite films.

ZombieSnot
Jan 2, 2011

Entrenched in nutritious rotting flesh.

mds2 posted:

Goon was a hell of a good movie.

I just watched this last night myself, and it is a surprisingly funny and entertaining movie.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

ZombieSnot posted:

I just watched this last night myself, and it is a surprisingly funny and entertaining movie.

I agree, it was really entertaining. Plus, it's probably the bloodiest romantic comedy I've ever seen.

Edit: This isn't Netflix, but I just noticed that the full series 1 and 2 of the UK Life on Mars is streaming on Amazon Prime. This was one of the best TV series I'd ever seen. You should see it especially if you watched the US version and the ending pissed you off.

MacGowans Teeth has a new favorite as of 19:02 on Jul 8, 2012

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
Yeah Goon was fantastic.

I just noticed Rounders in on there and that's one of my all time favorites. Matt Damon, Ed Norton and John Malkovich all with pretty cool characters and a great story.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Effectively all of Voltron is now streaming. Lion and Vehicle (Listed together as one show), the 3D show, and the new show. Only thing that is missing is Fleet of Doom and the original Japanese shows if you want to count that in this case, which are DVD only.

I already watched Lion through recently so I've started up on Vehicle for the first time. It's interesting as it's got a bit more actual sci-fi nerdery going on, whereas Lion is pretty much a fantasy show in a sci-fi paintjob.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

casual poster posted:

Watched The Rum Diary a few nights ago, definitely worth checking out, but my opinion could be skewed because I really like HST. He still has the normal word choice of HST, with a great flow of words coming through to make a distinct HST sentence, but they don't have him act like he did in Fear and Loathing, with the wide eyed grin and stalking legs. The story is basically HST goes to Puerto Rico to work for a small newspaper but soon some big name realtors want him to start writing pieces praising their land, things go bad. Check it out.
For some reason, the incongruity of a decade-and-a-half older Johnny Depp playing a decade-and-a-half younger Thompson stand-in was in the back of my mind the entire time.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

jase1 posted:

I just noticed Rounders in on there and that's one of my all time favorites. Matt Damon, Ed Norton and John Malkovich all with pretty cool characters and a great story.

Aww man you didn't even mention John Turturro! Why did I never watch this before?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Zwabu posted:

Aww man you didn't even mention John Turturro! Why did I never watch this before?

For some reason, nobody saw Rounders when it came out, but a few years later, poker became a bigger deal (with multiple TV shows about it, televised competitions, etc), and people started discovering this underrated movie after the fact.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

If you're looking for something to watch I really gotta add my love for Goon, I watched it tonight on the advice of this thread expecting I know not what but what I got was a really heartwarming tale that anyone who likes a good sports movie will enjoy thoroughly.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
If you haven't seen The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, you should give it a chance. Jeremy Brett is the best Holmes ever.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

casual poster posted:

Also, Jim Gaffigan: Mr. Universe is worth watching.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum--not a fan of Hunter S. Thompson or the "drug culture mystique" (for lack of a better term) that surrounds him, but I found the The Rum Diary to be thoroughly enjoyable. Giovanni Ribisi does a stellar job in the film, too, by the way.

Speaking of Giovanni Ribisi, The Big White is available. Loved it. Robin Williams plays a travel agent whose brother went missing years ago. When he finds a dead body, he decides to cash in on his brother's million-dollar life-insurance policy by claiming that it's him. Holly Hunter cusses a lot (she's also in Raising Arizona, which was mentioned earlier in the thread, go watch that too because it's hilarious).

Repeaters is an entertaining film about three recovering addicts in a rehab facility that begin living the same day over and over again. The premise seems trite, but give it a chance--it's an excellent movie.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Oldstench posted:

If you haven't seen The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, you should give it a chance. Jeremy Brett is the best Holmes ever.

It really threw me off when they went to the season with the different actor playing Watson, he sort of looks kind of sort of similar but not really at all. Plays him kind of differently too. Great, great series though.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Does Jim Gaffigan ever stop doing that annoying "I'm a high-pitched person from the audience responding to the comedian" bit? He'd be a funny guy if not for that gimmick.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Does Jim Gaffigan ever stop doing that annoying "I'm a high-pitched person from the audience responding to the comedian" bit? He'd be a funny guy if not for that gimmick.

Its kinda his Thing. Like Jerry Seinfeld going "Did you ever notice how...?" or Robin Williams being terrible since he got off the drugs.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
He does it a lot less in Mr. universe.

Though I tend to enjoy that gimmick

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I read your post in that voice. You are the audience member.

Jim Gaffigan posted:

Is he going to talk like that for the whole show? I thought he was going to tell jokes.

I did feel like in one of his specials he was close to doing it a bit much.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

No Breaking Bad season 4 on instant watch until June 15th (the day of the new season premiere).

Sorry, guys.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Guy Axlerod posted:

I read your post in that voice. You are the audience member.
Ha, this is why it works, despite it being kind of annoying. (And I had to laugh at the "He's doing that voice already?" line from the special.)

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

The film goes out of it's way to show how disturbed the main character is. For instance, the scene where he is walking down the street and see the mother screaming at her kid; then it shows the audience the actual encounter of the mother appropriately scolding her kid. Or how he most likely beats a obviously mentally handicapped man to death. Or how he kills his dad.

All in all, it's a great Batman movie.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

So has anyone else watched the gigantic, steaming pile of poo poo which is 2-HEADED SHARK ATTACK? It's a shark, with two heads. Two heads means TWICE THE TEETH.

me your dad has a new favorite as of 19:35 on Jul 11, 2012

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

me your dad posted:

So has anyone else watched the gigantic, steaming pile of poo poo which is TWO HEADED SHARK ATTACK? It's a shark, with two heads. Two heads means TWICE THE TEETH.

This will be the next movie I watch.

Edit: god drat it I can't find it on instant.

mds2 has a new favorite as of 03:18 on Jul 11, 2012

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

mds2 posted:

This will be the next movie I watch.

Edit: god drat it I can't find it on instant.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/2-Headed_Shark_Attack/70200123?trkid=2361637

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

It's one of the most frustratingly shittiest movies I've ever seen - but so hard to stop watching. I don't know how many times I yelled out, "OH COME ON WHAT THE gently caress!" while watching. I'm thankful I have a wife who also enjoys lovely movies from time to time.

I fixed my post to correct the title.

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_9C_ENfbO0

And no, that's not Jerry O'Connell - it's his less talented (similar looking) brother, Charlie. And Carmen Electra plays a doctor, if that tells you anything.

me your dad has a new favorite as of 19:40 on Jul 11, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I'll admit that I enjoy a terrible film from time to time, but jesus loving christ, that film shifted the mean against which I measure other bad movies. gently caress. It's like a high-budget Troma film that somehow was able to take itself seriously. gently caress.

gently caress. Thomas Edison and George Eastman would've committed suicide if they had known that their lives' efforts would have eventually lead to this.

sirspiff
Mar 18, 2009
If it hasn't been mentioned yet, The Man From Earth was pretty fantastic in an understated and thought provoking way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just watched Brick, and it's fantastic. Best noir movie I've seen in a while, and the high school setting worked way, way better than I would've expected. That movie's dark as hell, too.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
If you want a terrible movie about sea creatures, check out Mega Shark Vs Giant Octopus. It is so amazingly bad.

One of my favorite things is that for lightning, they don't use light, they just switch it to black and white real quick.

More than makes up for that terrible terrible 2 Headed Shark, which wasn't even laughably bad and didn't have decent breasts. If you're going to be a lovely horror movie, at least do one of those right.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

sirspiff posted:

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, The Man From Earth was pretty fantastic in an understated and thought provoking way.

This movie is one of my all time favorites. I had no idea it was on instant, though, time to rewatch.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I just watched Brick, and it's fantastic. Best noir movie I've seen in a while, and the high school setting worked way, way better than I would've expected. That movie's dark as hell, too.

Brick is a great movie. I stopped recommending it to people though, because so many inevitably whine about how unrealistic it is. The whooshing sound is deafening.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

hypersleep posted:

Brick is a great movie. I stopped recommending it to people though, because so many inevitably whine about how unrealistic it is. The whooshing sound is deafening.

I think a lot of people just don't know what Noir is, it's not a prevalent genre these days.

Hell, probably the only reason I ended up loving Brick was I had a class on 20th century crime fiction the semester before it released and fell in love with the hard-boiled genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Witness for the Prosecution is a black and white film based on an Agatha Christie novel and if you haven't seen it, you should, if only because it's the source of so many things you didn't realize were references. Also it's a really solid film--good mystery, excellent acting, beautiful resolution.

• Locked thread