Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Update: Tried flashing a Stock ROM with questionable luck... got to the device activation, but then it sat at the Activating prompt forever and nothing happened. Then I remembered I had backed up waaaaaaay back when I first got the phone, so now I'm running the basic Stock Android kernel that the Thunderbolt shipped with, ha. Now I gotta figure out how to flash it back to something else successfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Titanium Backup says I have root. ROM Manager and OTA Rootkeeper both say I don't.

What's up with that and how do I fix it?

(GSM Galaxy Nexus on stock, supposedly-rooted ROM)

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Do you have SuperUser in your app drawer?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Titanium Backup says I have root. ROM Manager and OTA Rootkeeper both say I don't.

What's up with that and how do I fix it?

(GSM Galaxy Nexus on stock, supposedly-rooted ROM)

Aatrek posted:

Do you have SuperUser in your app drawer?
Verify in SU that you've allowed access to root apps. The log should show when they asked for it. Also try updating the binary in SU.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've got Superuser installed, and it just granted Titanium Backup permission last night. It shows that it has granted Root keeper and ROM manager permission before but it's been a couple months.

The box for notifying about new binaries is checked.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Alright so after trying ICS on the EVO 4G (or rather, trying to get it to work with minimal lag) I'm just going to assume ICS on our phone is never going to happen without there being lag on it.

:negative:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I've got Superuser installed, and it just granted Titanium Backup permission last night. It shows that it has granted Root keeper and ROM manager permission before but it's been a couple months.

The box for notifying about new binaries is checked.
Manually force the binary install (method varies by SU application).

So Rootkeeper and ROM Manager don't even show that they're asking for root permissions? Best I can say would be to force the binary install, clear out all saved SU permissions, then reboot and see if they ask (open each app and force it).

Failing that, I might try replacing the SU app with another. The stock, rooted Jelly Bean I'm running came with SuperSU by Chainsfire instead of Superuser by ChainsDD (what's up with superuser apps and chains?) and it's not too shabby.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
Now that the Galaxy Nexus jelly bean update is rolling out is there any way to upgrade early on my bell mobility (canada) phone?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pympede posted:

Now that the Galaxy Nexus jelly bean update is rolling out is there any way to upgrade early on my bell mobility (canada) phone?
Is your bootloader unlocked? If so once the full image gets posted to Google dev page you can just flash straight to that build (and if you're rooted, restore to where you were with Titanium).

In all likelihood if you're in Canada you have a yakjuux version (I think) and this build will be for takju and maybe yakju devices only so if you want to update early you'll need to move to one of those builds. If you wait for the official yakjuux OTA rollout you could be waiting a long(-ish) time.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
drat it Samsung, why would you start the rollout of ICS to the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus in Austria, of all places?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Manky posted:

drat it Samsung, why would you start the rollout of ICS to the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus in Austria, of all places?
Maybe it's the only country where it hasn't been banned?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Maybe it's the only country where it hasn't been banned?

You mean the injunction on selling new devices? I think they're just going alphabetically.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Is your bootloader unlocked? If so once the full image gets posted to Google dev page you can just flash straight to that build (and if you're rooted, restore to where you were with Titanium).

In all likelihood if you're in Canada you have a yakjuux version (I think) and this build will be for takju and maybe yakju devices only so if you want to update early you'll need to move to one of those builds. If you wait for the official yakjuux OTA rollout you could be waiting a long(-ish) time.

My phone is completely locked. I checked and it is a yakjuux version. Just so I'm clear, I can unlock my bootloader and once the 4.1 image hits the Google dev page I can flash that and be good to go? My phone is HSPA which is CDMA right?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pympede posted:

My phone is completely locked. I checked and it is a yakjuux version. Just so I'm clear, I can unlock my bootloader and once the 4.1 image hits the Google dev page I can flash that and be good to go? My phone is HSPA which is CDMA right?
You are not clear. HSPA and CDMA are different technologies but that doesn't concern you.

When you unlock your bootloader you'll lose everything so if you didn't do it beforehand, tough titties. You can use the adb backup method if you'd like to try to keep your data around the bootloader issue, but flashing a full takju/yakju build from Google will wipe everything including the internal storage and you won't be able to restore an adb backup to a different build.

If you don't mind losing everything though yes, you can simply flash a stock 4.1 build when it's available.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Question about GB Kernels, I'm looking at this Mason Kernel and I'm seeing this thing called FSO. Looking over it it seems like it makes the phone even faster but it has the potential to corrupt your phone data on a crash? I'm already pretty weary with SBC on a kernal, so should I be the same with this FSO business?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Best I can say would be to force the binary install, clear out all saved SU permissions, then reboot and see if they ask (open each app and force it).

This fixed it, and I should have tried this from the start. Thanks for your help as always. I just never mess with this stuff or flash new roms, so I forget stuff.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 11, 2012

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I rooted my T-Mobile G2 to CM7 successfully, but all the tethering apps I've tried - Barnacle, EasyTether, WiFi Tether for Root Users, and FoxFi - all still send me to the T-Mobile upsell page. Did I miss something in rooting and/or configuring my phone so that it lets me have free tethering? Is there a different/better app for the purpose?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

To go along with my last comment about how I don't keep up with ROMs and poo poo...

I'm just running an ICS stock rooted image on my GNex. Now that the OTA is being delivered to Galaxy Nexus devices, how do I go from where I am now, to stock rooted JB?

IIRC, having an unlocked and rooted device means I won't get the OTA...and I don't feel like waiting till it finally gets pushed my device anyway.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Skeezy posted:

Alright so after trying ICS on the EVO 4G (or rather, trying to get it to work with minimal lag) I'm just going to assume ICS on our phone is never going to happen without there being lag on it.

:negative:

I've been using Preludedrew's ICS for a while now and can't say I really notice a problem. FFC and WiMax are no-go, but everything else is as good as or better than CM7 IMO.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

wolrah posted:

I've been using Preludedrew's ICS for a while now and can't say I really notice a problem. FFC and WiMax are no-go, but everything else is as good as or better than CM7 IMO.

You using any Kernel on it or anything? How's the battery?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

MJP posted:

I rooted my T-Mobile G2 to CM7 successfully, but all the tethering apps I've tried - Barnacle, EasyTether, WiFi Tether for Root Users, and FoxFi - all still send me to the T-Mobile upsell page. Did I miss something in rooting and/or configuring my phone so that it lets me have free tethering? Is there a different/better app for the purpose?
I've never used tethering, but there's always mobile hotspot. That's built in to CM in the wifi settings.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

To go along with my last comment about how I don't keep up with ROMs and poo poo...

I'm just running an ICS stock rooted image on my GNex. Now that the OTA is being delivered to Galaxy Nexus devices, how do I go from where I am now, to stock rooted JB?

IIRC, having an unlocked and rooted device means I won't get the OTA...and I don't feel like waiting till it finally gets pushed my device anyway.
If it's just a stock rooted (not deodexed) then you'll get the OTA. Run OTA Rootkeeper before applying and then re-run it afterwards and it'll be fine.

If you changed poo poo in /system you'll have to either find a prerooted ROM to flash or return it to stock but it's doubtful you changed anything that would preclude the OTA from installing.

Obviously if you don't feel like waiting there will be a CM-flashable update available as soon as someone captures the OTA.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LiquidRain posted:

I've never used tethering, but there's always mobile hotspot. That's built in to CM in the wifi settings.

Right - that's what I meant, mobile hotspot. Only problem is that the reason I rooted was that T-Mobile clamped down on tethering without a plan, and that app was also built in to the semi-stock 2.3.2 and 2.3.4 that was on the G2 previously. I figured rooting would give me more options to get tethering/mobile hotspot but no luck so far.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MJP posted:

Right - that's what I meant, mobile hotspot. Only problem is that the reason I rooted was that T-Mobile clamped down on tethering without a plan, and that app was also built in to the semi-stock 2.3.2 and 2.3.4 that was on the G2 previously. I figured rooting would give me more options to get tethering/mobile hotspot but no luck so far.
The inbuilt CM one shouldn't send you to the upsell page. I've used it plenty and it never has done it for me.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

The inbuilt CM one shouldn't send you to the upsell page. I've used it plenty and it never has done it for me.

Yeah, it used to be fine for me too - until one day tethering either hotspot or wired USB sent me to the upsell.

I'm guessing there has to be some kind of app that masks all tethered-machine traffic as from the phone as opposed to straight traffic that a regular PC or network clinet would use... just have yet to find it and just searching for tethering apps gives a see of paid and non-paid alike.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

wolrah posted:

Just installed this on my phone and while it is one of the better ICS roms for us (I'd probably say the best right now) it still has some minor annoyances that I'd like ironed out. I've got hope now that it'll be fixed.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Skeezy posted:

You using any Kernel on it or anything? How's the battery?

No special kernel, just whatever it comes with. Battery is nothing special, but I'm not the best judge of this. My usage pattern has the phone plugged in almost non-stop from about midnight through 5 pm and if it gets used when unplugged it's almost always the battery suck known as GPS. Right now I'm at 83% with 6:45 off power in which time it's received a text and kept synced with three Google Apps accounts.

605-475-6968
Apr 10, 2010

I am on the Dedoxed and Rooted JB Rom on the Nexus. Going to presume I should go back to stock before I accept the OTA

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Downfall posted:

I am on the Dedoxed and Rooted JB Rom on the Nexus. Going to presume I should go back to stock before I accept the OTA
Here's the deodexed prerooted ROM for the OTA.

You could probably get away just flashing over top of what you've got, but I'd probably do a full backup in Titanium and wipe fully and then restore. Edit: I wiped Dalvik and cache and flashed directly over it (as the OP says) and it worked fine.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 11, 2012

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Just going to pop this here as it seems to fit.

Im sending my razr back in as a warranty replacement for my lack of 4g and green tinted screen, and i already did a factory reset. I still have superuser installed, and i dont see an obvious way to drop it.

Do i have to reroot to uninstall or is there some other simple method?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Roundboy posted:

Just going to pop this here as it seems to fit.

Im sending my razr back in as a warranty replacement for my lack of 4g and green tinted screen, and i already did a factory reset. I still have superuser installed, and i dont see an obvious way to drop it.

Do i have to reroot to uninstall or is there some other simple method?
SU is installed to the /system partition so yes, you need root to remove it on the device but you can still connect it to ADB with USB Debugging on and adb rm /system/app/su.apk to delete the file.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

If I tried out VanirBean on my Verizon GNex and decided to go back to the stock ics, is there any reason I can't just flash the IMM76K image from google over everything?

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011
AOKP and CM9 nightly builds are out for the american GS3(probably not verizon) in case anyone was wondering.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Those of you wanting to try JB for the first time or again hoping the "little" things have been worked out...

Bugless Beast put out by Peter Alfonso was waiting for source to hit. He's been really fast with this release which I am kind of surprised by because he tends to be behind everyone else but his builds are so stable and on point.

Any, he released his AOSP version yesterday night
http://download.peteralfonso.com/toro/rom -- all the way at the bottom

Been running it all day and I've not had a single issue with it. And by single issue I mean I haven't had to flash anything after flashing his like every other JB ROM that has come out for the GN to fix random GPS issue 313. Even the carrier code shows as verizon wireless like it's supposed to. This is the first JB ROM to do that off the bat for me.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
How's battery life compared to 4.0.4?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Hey rotaryfun, could you rehost the rom, if possible? His site is acting like dogshit.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

yamdankee posted:

How's battery life compared to 4.0.4?

Only had it installed for about 5 hours. And just got all my titanium backups restored so I don't have an accurate picture but it hasn't been noticeably different than cm9 so far.

TheReverend posted:

Hey rotaryfun, could you rehost the rom, if possible? His site is acting like dogshit.

There's actually a few mirrors up already on rootzwiki, give me a minute and I'll grab one.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 11, 2012

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Ah, by all day I thought you meant you installed it last night when it came out and ran it since this morning. Let us know how the battery is after all initialization and everything. :)

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Sorry for the miss leading... My day seems to meld together and time gets lost.

The dropbox link got disabled by dropbox, so here's a minus mirror.
http://minus.com/lRg7OmTefoLUW

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
My SG3 runs really hot and has pretty short battery life. I am running the Diet ICS rom on XDA and using the cpu sleep apk that is supposed to sleep one of the cpu's when the screen is off. Anyone else experiencing battery life issues? Maybe its the rom?