Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
It's like Rainbow Iron Chef. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Eyed Daruma
Sep 15, 2007

Bash Ironfist posted:

My dog is laying under my bed. He just farted loud enough that I could hear it, then he tried to crawl away from the fart.

Just something in case this whole pitty thing has got you guys down.

Our black lab, who I suspect was literally beaten stupid, used to fart pretty loud, then run around the house in utter joy.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Skizzles posted:

It's like Rainbow Iron Chef. :v:

:3: That's exactly what it is! For new people. Yay!

One Eyed Daruma posted:

Our black lab, who I suspect was literally beaten stupid, used to fart pretty loud, then run around the house in utter joy.

Amy likes to snuggle up real close to you, roll over, be adorable and give you the "rub my belly?" look. You get down and rub her belly and you hear frrt? within like 30 seconds if she's mad at you. You yank away gagging because oh my god, her rear end is death, and she leaps up and goes tearing around the house, bounding, wagging and just gleeful. The other three don't care at all about farting while they're on your lap or whatever, because dogs, but Kaydee's scared herself with her rear end whistling (literally) before.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

RazorBunny posted:

What's funny is that greyhound puppies really look nothing like adult greyhounds. They look more like an adult terrier of some kind.

You know, this made me realize that despite my love for needle-nose dogs I'd never seen so much as a picture of a greyhound puppy. You're absolutely right, except for when they're potatoes they look like JRT mixes or something (probably because a lot of the pics I saw had white and brown spotted puppies). As they age they look more like lurchers than puppies, then all of a sudden BANG! Adult greyhound.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

So Cesar is coming to my city. Tickets are $40-$120. What the christ. For Cesar?!

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Apple HATES when I fart. If he is anywhere near me when I do it, he will get up, give me a look of utter disgust, and move a few few away. I have never heard of a dog hating farts. Dogs are supposed to love stinky smells.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

I need to vent really fast. I have this facebook friend that is a friend of a friend type of deal. I never really talked to her and accepted the friend request because why not. She got a cat a while back, which wasn't the best, but it was better than a dog for a partying-type college student. One day she was posting statuses about being out with friends and suddenly a picture popped up of her brand new designer breed puppy that she impulse bought. I was annoyed, but ignored it because the damage is done and she was making statuses about getting the dog groomed and teaching it to walk on a leash. Then 2-3 months later she had a status "I want a dog" and 2 hours later there was a picture of her brand new pomeranian puppy. That she named Ru Paul. And the best part? She is sharing the dog with her roommate. Because that never ends horribly.

Apparently the other puppy went away somehow (died? given away? ran away? I don't know). She had a picture with a caption saying she missed the puppy.

Then I was just skimming facebook before bed. The girl got a kitten. Now she is up to 1 cat, a kitten, and a puppy. Actually, I haven't heard anything about the cat in a while. There is a possibility that it got to boring for her and she replaced it with the kitten.

It is time to unfriend her for my own sanity.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

adventure in the sandbox posted:

So Cesar is coming to my city. Tickets are $40-$120. What the christ. For Cesar?!

I'm going to pretend they price it that way to keep the trolls out. Let's face it, my inner child considered it when he came to Louisville.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I've been seeing a lot of PI regulars in GWS lately and I totally wanna bring http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495384 to you guys' attention
'cuz you guys should totally stop being shy and try for a prize :3:

That NICSA is honestly scarier than any other NICSA I've ever considered entering (including the super spergy Cast Iron Pan one). Four dishes and I have to deal with color?

Uhhh

Beet Salad
I've decided that oysters are blue-violet, they are raw with a red cocktail sauce (gently caress that's red twice uhhhh)
That horrible ranier cherry/pork thing EmeraldCity made, just to be Edgy (crap that's MORE red...)
a salad (green)
Blueberry pie? I guess? We don't get blueberries where I am, really, not locally, and the blackberries won't be in for another 6 weeks so my blue/purple thing will have to be filled either by bad blueberries or worse eggplant (since I am allergic to eggplant).

gently caress it, I'm making Cat Food.

Also, I haven't seen my fosters eat or drink anything at all yet, and they've been here 48 hours. They're passing both the skin and gums dehydration tests though, and the vet didn't see any signs of dehydration when he looked at the sad one this morning, so I guess Cats Will Be Cats? I gave them four different flavours of wellness, and then when I decided maybe they didn't know what to do with wellness I went to what they were eating before (Purina One :barf:) and some Friskies in case they needed crap in order to eat. No visible luck yet but I guess they must be drinking water while I'm not looking? I guess I'll try some tuna...

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Bringing up pit bulls in the UK again: I saw one today. A little ~6 month old blue and white girl (despite the blue, she didn't look like those horrible TUFF PIT DAWGZ, just a blue/white pit pup). She was very, very friendly and playful. The guy with her had her on leash when I first saw him, but then after was playing fetch with her and a stick when the area cleared.

He mentioned he'd paid £1500 for her and that she slept in his garage to guard it. I dunno how he expected her to guard when she just wanted to plaaaaaaay though. She kept licking my arms.

With the exception of the 'gonna guard my garage' stuff, the guy seemed like a decent owner, though not in the law's mind probably (dog off lead, unmuzzled, in a public place). He wasn't trying to ~make her mean~ or anything, and he seemed to genuinely enjoy talking with me about her.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

wtftastic posted:

The issue is less with AC and more with the law, the city council and the way this was carried out. Maybe some people are mad at AC, but that's pointless really.

Most of the arguments I've been hearing from Americans is "Their expert witness was just a dog catcher not enough of a ~canine expert~ for my liking" or "The dog was IMPRISONED how horrible no wonder it was acting out." :qq: As if they think it's any better over here. (The dog was unregistered and lunged at the dog catcher - he would've been euthed immediately upon intake in my city pound and pits aren't even illegal here.) It's pretty pointless to get mad at the city council, too. Why are people suddenly expecting them to be expert animal behaviorists?

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

demozthenes posted:

Most of the arguments I've been hearing from Americans is "Their expert witness was just a dog catcher not enough of a ~canine expert~ for my liking" or "The dog was IMPRISONED how horrible no wonder it was acting out." :qq: As if they think it's any better over here. (The dog was unregistered and lunged at the dog catcher - he would've been euthed immediately upon intake in my city pound and pits aren't even illegal here.) It's pretty pointless to get mad at the city council, too. Why are people suddenly expecting them to be expert animal behaviorists?

On the first count, that is a legit complaint. Why not hire or contact a behaviorist for an eval (exactly as the family who owned the dog did)? We constantly talk about the benefits of having qualified behaviorists evaluate dogs but apparently in this instance that's somehow a bad idea?

Also I don't understand what dog you are talking about. Is this some hypothetical dog?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

InEscape posted:

That NICSA is honestly scarier than any other NICSA I've ever considered entering (including the super spergy Cast Iron Pan one). Four dishes and I have to deal with color?

Uhhh

Beet Salad
I've decided that oysters are blue-violet, they are raw with a red cocktail sauce (gently caress that's red twice uhhhh)
That horrible ranier cherry/pork thing EmeraldCity made, just to be Edgy (crap that's MORE red...)
a salad (green)
Blueberry pie? I guess? We don't get blueberries where I am, really, not locally, and the blackberries won't be in for another 6 weeks so my blue/purple thing will have to be filled either by bad blueberries or worse eggplant (since I am allergic to eggplant).

gently caress it, I'm making Cat Food.

Also, I haven't seen my fosters eat or drink anything at all yet, and they've been here 48 hours. They're passing both the skin and gums dehydration tests though, and the vet didn't see any signs of dehydration when he looked at the sad one this morning, so I guess Cats Will Be Cats? I gave them four different flavours of wellness, and then when I decided maybe they didn't know what to do with wellness I went to what they were eating before (Purina One :barf:) and some Friskies in case they needed crap in order to eat. No visible luck yet but I guess they must be drinking water while I'm not looking? I guess I'll try some tuna...

It's really possible they might be eating just a tiny bit and drinking even less. For a time, I had to have Sarah in a bathroom by herself. It took me three days to really notice she was eating. And when my folks swapped the cats from purina to wellness, it did take them a while to start eating.

Also yeah it's super pedantic, but half of that is because I want people to really sit and think about how to make the rules work to their advantage. I almost reversed my upcoming ICSA and this's themes, but I think once people have the idea down in their head it'll be a lot easier on them.

demozthenes posted:

Depending on what part of the states you're talking about, these ideals and laws vary incredibly widely. But they do have a point that the drat dog didn't deserve to be in custody for two+ years.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
So my girlfriend and I are talking about moving in together and last night she declared that when we did, my dogs would no longer be allowed to sleep in the bed. Am I crazy for considering that a dealbreaker? I feel like I'm already compromising a lot--we'd be living in an area of town near her work and causing me to have a long commute, we'd be getting a much bigger house than I want because I'm into minimalism and she wants a lot of space, she insists on keeping the house very cool in the summer and very warm in the winter while I prefer to keep it closer to the outside temperature, all kinds of things. She feels strongly about those things and I don't really care that much so it's not a big deal to me.

The only reason she doesn't want it is that she doesn't want dog hair on the comforter, they don't disturb her sleep or anything and the two who sleep on the bed are very polite about moving when you so much as nudge them. I just feel very comforted and secure when they're cuddled up against my feet. I am really not willing to compromise on this but I'm also afraid that makes me a crazy dog person. :ohdear:

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

wtftastic posted:

On the first count, that is a legit complaint. Why not hire or contact a behaviorist for an eval (exactly as the family who owned the dog did)? We constantly talk about the benefits of having qualified behaviorists evaluate dogs but apparently in this instance that's somehow a bad idea?

Also I don't understand what dog you are talking about. Is this some hypothetical dog?

Um...the same dog that's been up for discussion? The Belfast pit bull that was euthanized after being unregistered and then lunging at the dog warden.

Why not hire a behaviorist? Where's the money going to come from? Dog wardens/AC are almost universally underfunded and understaffed. And handing the dog over to a TV personality would've just made this media circus even bigger than it already was. I'm pretty sure the city has bigger fish to fry than a bunch of people moaning and threatening them about an illegal dog that was left unregistered while the owners lied about what breed it was and then pitched a fit when they saw consequences for their actions.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

2tomorrow posted:

So my girlfriend and I are talking about moving in together and last night she declared that when we did, my dogs would no longer be allowed to sleep in the bed. Am I crazy for considering that a dealbreaker?

She declared that that is what will be happening? If you don't want it to happen, put your foot down and say so. Dealbreakers are different for different people.

Besides, dog hair will get everywhere no matter where your dogs sleep :haw:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

E: ^^^^ I know, right? I don't know how the danes keep putting ONE HAIR in just the middle of the stove! Even right after I clean they manage to do it! Stop it you two!

2tomorrow posted:

So my girlfriend and I are talking about moving in together and last night she declared that when we did, my dogs would no longer be allowed to sleep in the bed. Am I crazy for considering that a dealbreaker? I feel like I'm already compromising a lot--we'd be living in an area of town near her work and causing me to have a long commute, we'd be getting a much bigger house than I want because I'm into minimalism and she wants a lot of space, she insists on keeping the house very cool in the summer and very warm in the winter while I prefer to keep it closer to the outside temperature, all kinds of things. She feels strongly about those things and I don't really care that much so it's not a big deal to me.

The only reason she doesn't want it is that she doesn't want dog hair on the comforter, they don't disturb her sleep or anything and the two who sleep on the bed are very polite about moving when you so much as nudge them. I just feel very comforted and secure when they're cuddled up against my feet. I am really not willing to compromise on this but I'm also afraid that makes me a crazy dog person. :ohdear:

Not to get all E/N or Fabgoon thread about this, but it really sounds like you guys need to work on a some compatibility stuff when you can just slew out a list that big because it does sound like you care some, and small stuff can grate on you really quick when you're living together and all that jazz.

If she doesn't want dog hair on the comforter, does she think it's just going to be magically clean with a dog in the house? Because hell, for instance, we don't let the dogs on the guest bed but you can still find dog hair on the comforter because it's in the house, y'know?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

2tomorrow posted:

It sounds like you're giving up a lot of your wants so it would be perfectly reasonable to me to ask her to compromise on this one as long as she isn't horribly allergic or incapable of sleeping with dogs in the bed. Maybe you can offer to put an extra sheet on top of the comforter to keep some hair out? It seems less like a crazy dog issue and more like a relationship issue. You're allowed to be your own person and do what you like even when you're in a committed relationship. Just because you are moving in together doesn't mean she gets to dictate every aspect of your life.

I am a wildly independent person though and if someone "declared" something would not be allowed in my home I would declare they could take a hike. A more healthy, adult reaction would to sit down and have a talk about it.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
Yeah, I didn't want to get all e/n but we're definitely still hashing a lot out and this isn't something that is going to happen immediately by any means. Last night she'd been drinking a little so we didn't really discuss it too much, normally our communication is better and she wouldn't have just declared it like that if she was sober. I really don't mind those things in that list, I just posted them to head off anyone thinking that I'm totally unwilling to compromise.

The reason I actually posted it is because I went out to breakfast with my mom this morning and mentioned it and she thought I was nuts. I wanted some reassurance from other crazy dog people that it's not unreasonable to feel that strongly.

And yeah, my girlfriend totally doesn't understand that dog hair will be everywhere regardless of where the dogs are allowed. She just thinks I'm a bad housekeeper, but she is in for a surprise.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

So, random question. Has anyone ever gotten a decent response from sperging out on places that aren't PI about animals? I get a decent response from this one guy at a pet store I go to occasionally, he even knew about getting high-quality cat food for ferrets and said something along the lines of "never trust Marshall or SuperPet". Cool guy. I've also gotten some decent replies on youtube from nerding out, surprisingly. Including answering someone's question on whether they should get their female rabbit spayed and elaborating on the health problems not spaying can cause, and they said they'd gotten a spayed rabbit and thanked me for my help. :3:

It makes me feel kind of warm and fuzzy to know that there are places besides here where I won't get ignored or insulted for being nerdy about pet-related stuff. Anyone have an experience like that where someone just gets it or actually wants to listen?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

2tomorrow posted:

And yeah, my girlfriend totally doesn't understand that dog hair will be everywhere regardless of where the dogs are allowed. She just thinks I'm a bad housekeeper, but she is in for a surprise.

Depending on who will be doing that part of the housekeeping, that could really, really open you up to a lot of fights/"polite debates". She doesn't have friends with pets or something?

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Skizzles posted:

I'm going to pretend they price it that way to keep the trolls out. Let's face it, my inner child considered it when he came to Louisville.

I didn't have cable when his show was on, I do have (really lovely) cable now but I never watch it, I think I've seen one episode ever? A friend of mine is all excited about this, I would consider going with her and bitching about everything he is doing that I don't like. But that's really unfair to my friend. I can bitch after! :haw: And save my :20bux:

2tomorrow posted:

I went out to breakfast with my mom this morning and mentioned it and she thought I was nuts. I wanted some reassurance from other crazy dog people that it's not unreasonable to feel that strongly.

My boyfriend was determined our dogs would sleep on the bed, I wanted them kenneled or on the floor. They ended up on the bed. They are so cute, and in the winter it was nice. But crowded, 2 people and 2 large dogs need a king. We visited his mom for a week and the dogs weren't allowed on the bed, and now they are not on the bed at home (except after he goes to work an hour before I get up :3:).

So, I feel both ways. I didn't want them on the bed, then I was sad when they weren't allowed. And now I'm back to enjoying my spacious bed.

I think the sheet idea would really help. If your dogs will politely move or stay at the foot of the bed, thats a good situation to test allowing them on the bed before coming to a decision.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
Believe it or not, I actually get really good responses on Facebook. I'm totally that person who will write a short novel in the comments when people post about wanting a pet. Maybe it's because I don't have that many friends on there and the ones I have all know me in real life, but I get really good responses and I've even convinced several people to get older shelter dogs rather than puppy-milled pups.

My nearest Petsmart is also pretty cool. I've been to ones where employees aren't too knowledgeable, but this one generally has a pretty good staff. They know me and my GSD because we spend a lot of time toy shopping and things like that, and I've had really good conversations with some of the employees, both with them teaching me stuff and me teaching them. I really just started going there because the toy selection is way bigger than anywhere else in the area and normally I don't care for Petsmarts that much, but I'm starting to actually enjoy going there.

edit: sorry for the double post, I swear this was right after Bear Rape's post when I submitted it!

2tomorrow fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 12, 2012

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

adventure in the sandbox posted:

My boyfriend was determined our dogs would sleep on the bed, I wanted them kenneled or on the floor. They ended up on the bed. They are so cute, and in the winter it was nice. But crowded, 2 people and 2 large dogs need a king. We visited his mom for a week and the dogs weren't allowed on the bed, and now they are not on the bed at home (except after he goes to work an hour before I get up :3:).

So, I feel both ways. I didn't want them on the bed, then I was sad when they weren't allowed. And now I'm back to enjoying my spacious bed.

I think the sheet idea would really help. If your dogs will politely move or stay at the foot of the bed, thats a good situation to test allowing them on the bed before coming to a decision.

That makes a lot of sense, and it's not like I'm totally unwilling to experiment or change my mind. Only two of my dogs sleep up there and they're both only around 30 pounds, so not huge. They do stay at the foot of the bed and are super polite about it. One of them has slept on the bed with me for 16 years and the other for 9 years so we're pretty established in our habits.

I do like the sheet idea. I'm going to bring this up to her when she's sober and I'll suggest that. Who knows, she might not even care then. She was pretty drunk last night (I don't drink so I was the designated driver when we went out with friends) so I'm not really taking this as an immediate problem, just something that kind of caught me off guard in a couple of ways.

I am already planning on forgoing my morning "wrestle with all 5 dogs in the bed" ritual that I have adopted in my single life. :3: It is super fun but it does get dog hair all over the pillows and sheets and so I am not expecting her to put up with that. ;)

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Depending on who will be doing that part of the housekeeping, that could really, really open you up to a lot of fights/"polite debates". She doesn't have friends with pets or something?

That was actually a joke. :) I am not a great housekeeper and I think she does somewhat underestimate the dog hair, but the pack and I have spent the weekend at her house and things like that so she does have a fairly reasonable idea of how much hair there is. I'm already in the habit of vacuuming every other day so it's not going to be that big of a deal.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

demozthenes posted:

Um...the same dog that's been up for discussion? The Belfast pit bull that was euthanized after being unregistered and then lunging at the dog warden.

Why not hire a behaviorist? Where's the money going to come from? Dog wardens/AC are almost universally underfunded and understaffed. And handing the dog over to a TV personality would've just made this media circus even bigger than it already was. I'm pretty sure the city has bigger fish to fry than a bunch of people moaning and threatening them about an illegal dog that was left unregistered while the owners lied about what breed it was and then pitched a fit when they saw consequences for their actions.

If, as the owners claim, it appeared to be of pit type, but was in fact not a pit and therefore didn't required registration. The owners claimed they had evidence proving the dog wasn't a pit. I don't really know (or for that matter care) if the dog was a pit. Also, from what I've read he was seized from their home when wardens came to visit their home. I haven't read that the dog was seized for lunging at the warden.

So...does the city council (which was responsible for a lot of this) have 0 money? They can't even afford a nominal fee for someone with some behavioral training? I'm not saying AC has to pay for this and I never have. I asked why the council didn't hire one.

I'm sure the city does have bigger fish to fry, but do you know what? They had a lot of ways to deal with and handle the situation.They handled it poorly. The backlash they are seeing is directly related to that. Additionally, having heard several phone interviews with different people involved in the matter on the city's side, they had a really lovely attitude.

Honestly, if they had seized and euthed the dog immediately, while it would still be upsetting, people probably wouldn't have had as bad a reaction to this. Instead this went on and on (because of the owners and the council) and they didn't exactly do a great job convincing the public that they wanted to be fair arbitrators and get this done right.

I don't understand why you are so defensive of the city and how they handled it. Even if you agree that the dog violated the law and ought to have been destroyed, it could have been done in a more sensitive and appropriate way.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Hey, PI, y'all totally convinced me that it is indeed a smart thing to get my cats microchipped. Timmy went today and I'll get the other two done when their yearly exams come up.

The first time a vet asked me about it I'd never heard of microchipping pets--I assumed that it was something kind of esoteric and out there and not worth doing because chips were too rare for shelters to routinely look for. But after a couple years of everyone here talking about microchips like they ain't no thang I've gone ahead and done it.

Good job, PI!

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

wtftastic posted:

I don't understand why you are so defensive of the city and how they handled it. Even if you agree that the dog violated the law and ought to have been destroyed, it could have been done in a more sensitive and appropriate way.

Because city councils and animal control departments shouldn't have to shoulder the burden of someone else repeatedly breaking the law. Instead of owning up to their mistakes, the owners fought the city by lying about it, getting the media involved, and standing by while the internet launched a harassment campaign against the city council (which I'm sure did lots to endear them).

Also IIRC the ban is on "pit bull type dogs" not specifically only purebred APBTs. The owners had previously registered the dog as a "pit bull type," allowed the registration to lapse, and ignored multiple warning from the city before their dog was taken. So I don't really see why anybody would defend them.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Hey, PI, y'all totally convinced me that it is indeed a smart thing to get my cats microchipped. Timmy went today and I'll get the other two done when their yearly exams come up.

Good job, PI!

:hfive: I had nothing to do with convincing you, but I'm glad you got your cats microchipped! It gives you a good sense of security that if your cats sneak out of your house, they will always have ID on/in them.

:3: I think I finally taught my cats a trick! They can now "beg" on command. I'm so proud!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

demozthenes posted:

Because city councils and animal control departments shouldn't have to shoulder the burden of someone else repeatedly breaking the law. Instead of owning up to their mistakes, the owners fought the city by lying about it, getting the media involved, and standing by while the internet launched a harassment campaign against the city council (which I'm sure did lots to endear them).

Also IIRC the ban is on "pit bull type dogs" not specifically only purebred APBTs. The owners had previously registered the dog as a "pit bull type," allowed the registration to lapse, and ignored multiple warning from the city before their dog was taken. So I don't really see why anybody would defend them.

Well to be fair the owners also paid for their own behaviorists (two of them I believe) so its not like there were no behaviorists who evaluated the dog. The city elected to not accept the assessments and instead had someone "evaluate" the dog who didn't even have comparable credentials or experience. So sure, they "shouldn't have to".

Letting the registration lapse is silly on their part, but I can't really see the point in continually registering a dog. Wouldn't it make more sense to register a dog once, and then have it removed when it passed away? You'd probably get better compliance with a reg. like that. Not to mention the fact that "pit bull type dogs" is apparently a physical descriptor more than "the dog's heritage is part x and part y" which is odd to me.

Although I feel bad that this happened to them, I'm not really concerned with the owners. I more care that a dog, an animal that has no agency, was destroyed because of some really ugly circumstances. The laws/rules/regulations are probably more what I have a problem with. But I guess I shouldn't sympathize with people who are not the most law abiding citizens on earth.

And just to be clear, I would be just as upset if something like that happened here in the US. I'm not holding some sort of lopsided impossible standard.

wtftastic fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 12, 2012

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Skizzles posted:

Does anyone have any sources about Lennox's owners being "less than stellar?" I'd like to find out more on that. As for the people shouting "BOYCOTT BELFAST!!!" I'm pretty sure most of those people never have or will have anything at all to do with Belfast, so uh... good... luck? Passion is great, but when it overrides reason it's incredibly irritating, imho.

No online sources but I know people who've been involved in prosecuting the family for dog-fighting in the past. I'm not going to get more specific as this is a small and dangerous city :)

Edited to add- the DDA that Notsoape is referring to only applies to England and Wales- the Northern Ireland legislation is stricter. The UK has three legal systems (E&W, Scotland, NI)- vaguely equivalent to states in the US.

Filboid Studge fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 12, 2012

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
speaking of sleeping, I'm curious to know, for those of you with cats

When your cat does the morning alarm clock ritual, does your cat put their paw right over your mouth? I mean, I know they paw at you, bite you, jump on your full bladder, but Nova has recently taken to covering my mouth. As you can imagine, it's very effective at waking me up, but that's kinda scary.

I think I'd rather have her scratch my head or meow in my face.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

pandaid posted:

When your cat does the morning alarm clock ritual, does your cat put their paw right over your mouth? I mean, I know they paw at you, bite you, jump on your full bladder, but Nova has recently taken to covering my mouth. As you can imagine, it's very effective at waking me up, but that's kinda scary.

She's just trying to steal your soul.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

pandaid posted:

My cats were never allowed to run around loose at night for multiple safety reasons, so I never had cat alarm clock.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?
The showdown of the century! Lemon beagle versus lemon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRsd6ekwN9I

Dogs are such slow learners sometimes...

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Shebrew posted:

Well he eventually learned how to pick it up without burning his nose.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Shebrew posted:

...Oh god, I need to do it to Amy.

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

Have any of you ever given your dogs an IQ test? I was re-reading some of my favorite Hyperbole and a Half posts and got ~~inspired~~.

I found out Ivan is a fast learner with good memory/observational learning and decent grasp of language comprehension, but has poor problem solving and manipulation skills. There goes his dream of being a crime fighter. Sorry, buddy. :(

I guess I'm not really surprised. When I almost set the kitchen on fire a few days ago, this barrier was sufficient enough to keep him from running outside while I aired out the house. He didn't even question it. "Yep, that may as well be the goddamned Great Wall of China, there's no way in hell I can possibly get over that. No sir."

This is the one I used.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Fuckin' dogs. :3:

Bear Rape posted:

So, random question. Has anyone ever gotten a decent response from sperging out on places that aren't PI about animals?

One of our local news stations posted a story about a pit bull biting a mail carrier and obviously it brought out all the morons with their "facts" and "statistics" on how dangerous pits are. I posted about it in here, actually. Anyway, I wrote up some big, fat, civil responses to the douchebag and 95% of the other commenters had my back and thanked me. The guy eventually shut up, having nothing good to reply with. Some of the management at the Kentucky Humane Society where I intern saw my comments and were really impressed. That + my blog has so impressed my mentor that that she's going to talk with PR and see if I can write for some KHS publications. :)

And then at work, I have a co-worker who uses THE worst training methods (which has resulted in his dogs biting him and his wife all the drat time). Smacking them, alpha rolls, scruff shakes, you name it. Fortunately he's actually a pretty chill, open-minded kind of guy and we'd shoot the poo poo about dog training. I was never pushy about it and always kept it light and fun (plus I printed off a couple articles for him), and now he's at the "I hate to admit it, but I think you're right" point. So I think he's changed his methods a bit, but I dunno how his dogs are doing since I haven't seen him since May. That situation just sounded like it was getting really bad really fast, so I was insanely relieved I could get through to him even a little.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

...Oh god, I need to do it to Amy.

I fully support this endeavor.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

My cats were never allowed to run around loose at night for multiple safety reasons, so I never had cat alarm clock.

You are missing out on one of the defining parts of having cats then.

I'm pretty sure she's trying to steal my soul. To eat it. Because all she cares about is food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Eyed Daruma
Sep 15, 2007
Oh good lord, what is it with me and flatulent animals lately?
I was hanging out with some friends tonight, and they brought their Basset, Zoe.
Zoe and I get along like a house on fire, primarily because I smell of cat, don't mind slobber on my knees, and know just the right way to rub the belly.
Zoe was blissfully laying across my lap, basically pinning me down, jowls sliding down my kneecap.
Things are good, when all of a sudden *PURRRRRRPT-Pooeeeet*
Oh God, Zoe farted.
I don't know what she had eaten, but it must have been dead a week. And I was pinned down by a lump of totally relaxed Basset.
My drat friends just sat there laughing at me as I tried to lift her off enough/wake her up enough to flee.

The sad part of it was, I was kinda flattered she was so comfortable with me that she relaxed enough to fart.

One Eyed Daruma fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 13, 2012

• Locked thread