Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
fireworks landscape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Spime Wrangler posted:

That rocks. Mordor indeed.

edit: What does your infrared setup consist of?

D80 with Lifepixel deep IR conversion. Nikon 18-105VR (cheap-ish kit lens from the D90 days).

Getting a bit old. I wish I had more resolution but the lens is great. Keeps IR focus throughout the zoom range better than most lenses plus the range is more than I can ask for.

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

Long Reef by Aztatlan, on Flickr

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Dat exposure :allears:
Did you do any post to bring the shadows up, or did you get that tonal range from the initial exposure?

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

David Pratt posted:

Dat exposure :allears:
Did you do any post to bring the shadows up, or did you get that tonal range from the initial exposure?

It has had some PP done, just LR4 though. Bumped up the shadows and contrast etc. Technically the tonal range was in the initial exposure since the RAW file contained all that information I guess - it just had to be brought out with the sliders ;)

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006
One from this morning:

Turimetta Dawn by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Kujaroth fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 8, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I like the picture, but having that title jammed into the letterbox is pretty distracting.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

I like the picture, but having that title jammed into the letterbox is pretty distracting.

Now that you mention it I agree. I deleted it :)

Another from later that morning:

Rock Pool by Aztatlan, on Flickr

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I love these since I tend to do my climbing and hiking at sunrise or sunset, and I often get to see these awesome shadows. This makes me sad I'm not outside right now.

About 7:30 a.m. (sunrise is at 5 a.m. where I live at this time of year), 10 second "hike" from the road. I haven't gotten to processing this batch of photos yet, which is my first excursion with my first DSLR. I hope to get pictures in the future closer to the amazing work the rest of you do. Practice, practice, practice!

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

About 7:30 a.m. (sunrise is at 5 a.m. where I live at this time of year), 10 second "hike" from the road. I haven't gotten to processing this batch of photos yet, which is my first excursion with my first DSLR. I hope to get pictures in the future closer to the amazing work the rest of you do. Practice, practice, practice!

Looks like a nice image, but you should look at your JPG settings. I see quite bad visible compression artifacts in that image on my screen.

Last two from today (I don't think there are any others I like):

Flow by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Lonely by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Kujaroth posted:

Looks like a nice image, but you should look at your JPG settings. I see quite bad visible compression artifacts in that image on my screen.

Last two from today (I don't think there are any others I like):

Flow by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Lonely by Aztatlan, on Flickr

These are great. How long are your shutters usually? You're using grads or NDs right?

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

These are great. How long are your shutters usually? You're using grads or NDs right?

Thanks. If I am trying to capture water movement like in those images, I will generally shoot under 1s. The top image was 0.8s and the bottom was 0.6s. Both images used a Lee 0.9 hard grad and Lee 0.9 standard ND.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Kujaroth posted:

Yeah, Facebook's fault. I had it as my cover image :sweatdrop: The real picture looks much better!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Kujaroth posted:

Thanks. If I am trying to capture water movement like in those images, I will generally shoot under 1s. The top image was 0.8s and the bottom was 0.6s. Both images used a Lee 0.9 hard grad and Lee 0.9 standard ND.

Hmm, seems like you could get away with using a CPL (2 stops) and stopping down to get those kinds of speeds, especially at dusk/dawn. I'll have to give it a try.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Finished off the Astia, now on to the 4x5 Portra I shot in Iceland...

Reynisdrangar by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Hverir by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Gatklettur by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Londrangar by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Hmm, seems like you could get away with using a CPL (2 stops) and stopping down to get those kinds of speeds, especially at dusk/dawn. I'll have to give it a try.

You might be able to yeah, are you sure a CPL is 2 stops though? I don't use one these days but when I did, from memory it was more like one stop.

If you aren't going to use grads, just buy a proper ND I reckon. If you stop down too much you are going to suffer diffraction.

The Ocean Giveth, and the Ocean Taketh Away by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Kujaroth fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 9, 2012

saiyr
May 23, 2004
Just got back from my vacation in Canada. This is the first time I was able to shoot landscapes, and therefore the first time posting in this thread. Feedback would be appreciated! Are they too boring/typical shots? Is the horizon tilted at 90 degree angles?

Prince's Island Park by saiyr

Lake Agnes by saiyr

Moraine Lake by saiyr

Johnson Lake by saiyr

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Always feel a little like a pre-schooler presenting scribblings to a collective of Picasso, Rembrant and Warhol here.

LightHouse (1 of 2) by TimFPictures, on Flickr

Too much nuclear water syndrome?

EDIT: Sorry for the large image, flickr is arguing with me about anything smaller at the moment.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 9, 2012

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

MrBlandAverage posted:

This is excellent. I really need to stop looking at pictures of Iceland though, as I cannot afford to visit for a while yet.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Kujaroth posted:

You might be able to yeah, are you sure a CPL is 2 stops though? I don't use one these days but when I did, from memory it was more like one stop.

http://www.tiffen.com/tips_polarizer_filters.html

I think the average is 2 stops and maybe a little less for some high end ones.

Content coming! I'm digging through my old aerial stuff to post but I lost the associated LR cat so I'll have to reprocess :/

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

saiyr posted:

Just got back from my vacation in Canada. This is the first time I was able to shoot landscapes, and therefore the first time posting in this thread. Feedback would be appreciated! Are they too boring/typical shots? Is the horizon tilted at 90 degree angles?

Prince's Island Park by saiyr

Lake Agnes by saiyr

Moraine Lake by saiyr

Johnson Lake by saiyr

The first image isn't great. Big tree branch protruding into the frame in the top left corner, the duck heads down the bottom are distracting, the subject is quite boring and your white balance appears to be slightly off. The image looks to have a green tinge - but maybe that's just my display.

The other three are much better. The 2nd one is a really lovely scene, have a play with the comp by cropping though - I like the log down the bottom but can't decide whether it would be better to remove it or leave it - as removing it will get rid of that bit of bush jutting into the frame. Watch what is finding it's way in. The image overall has a lot more punch and is 100x better than the first one.

Number 3 is fantastic - my only real suggestions would be to do a bit more PP to focus on bringing the shadows out a bit, and toning down the highlights. If you look at the snow on the mountain in the middle of the image it is quite intensely bright.

Number 4 works because of the reflections in the lake. IMO try and bring a bit more shadow detail out of the trees.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

XTimmy posted:

Always feel a little like a pre-schooler presenting scribblings to a collective of Picasso, Rembrant and Warhol here.

LightHouse (1 of 2) by TimFPictures, on Flickr

Too much nuclear water syndrome?

EDIT: Sorry for the large image, flickr is arguing with me about anything smaller at the moment.

Yeah the water is a bit much, especially just to the right of the light house

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Hotwax Residue posted:

Yeah the water is a bit much, especially just to the right of the light house

Too bright or too oversaturated?

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Here on vacation, MSPAINT resizing is compressing the poo poo out of my photos. My laptop seems to be stuck on 16-bit color, so can y'all tell me if this one is good enough to leave alone?

Arizona Sunset 0

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

XTimmy posted:

Definitely oversaturated, the color looks unnatural. It is probably too bright also but it might be ok with a more natural looking color. I do like the sky and the rocks, however. If you can sort out the water it'll be a really nice image.

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

vote_no posted:

Here on vacation, MSPAINT resizing is compressing the poo poo out of my photos. My laptop seems to be stuck on 16-bit color, so can y'all tell me if this one is good enough to leave alone?

Arizona Sunset 0

Photoshop out the power lines.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

XTimmy posted:

It's also a bit too contrasty, especially on the rocks.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Kujaroth posted:

Photoshop out the power lines.

Don't do this.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

8th-samurai posted:

Don't do this.

Yeah, I actually framed the power lines intentionally.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Somewhere over China. Doesn't really matter, could be anywhere and look like this. Processed a long time ago. I'm not sure I'd do it the same way if I did it again. Definitely getting rid of the vignette if its added.

Istrian
Dec 23, 2006

Et, ou tu vas exactement?

MrBlandAverage posted:

Hverir by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Gatklettur by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Londrangar by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Amazing

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Here's something I snapped on my trip to Monument Valley

High Noon, Cowboy by krnhotwings, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

cowboys improve photographs

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You should clone that power line out. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
I found a sexy rock :v::

Cool Rock by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Also some other stuff:

View From the Top of Blencathra by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Mirrormere 2 by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

(Not pictured: Me just about dying from hypothermia because I thought that it would be a good idea to strip off and go for a swim.)

Sheep by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Beck by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Foxgloves 2 by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Holistic Detective fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 13, 2012