Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

My soon to be husband and I are headed to Portland in September for our honeymoon. I was hoping that some of you might live up that direction and could give some recommendations for a LYS or two that I can visit for souvenir yarn? So this isn't a post completely devoid of knitting- I made a cowl! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Peppercat posted:

My soon to be husband and I are headed to Portland in September for our honeymoon. I was hoping that some of you might live up that direction and could give some recommendations for a LYS or two that I can visit for souvenir yarn? So this isn't a post completely devoid of knitting- I made a cowl! :D

Congrats on the wedding!

As for yarn oh lord you are coming to the right place for yarn. Awesome LYS are everywhere here! I myself prefer to go to Yarn Garden because I live just a few blocks away and it is huge and awesome.
http://yarngarden.net/

I haven't been to this one yet, but the concept is just about the coolest thing ever--Yarnia. You go, and they have all these spools of single ply of different colors and fibers; you order a custom blend and they spin it up for you and you buy it by the pound!
http://www.yarniapdx.com/

I'm sure there are about four billion more worth visiting too. Also, keep in mind that we haven't got any sales tax here... just in case you needed any more excuse to go yarn crazy...

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Peppercat posted:

My aunt has an indie dyeing business based in Portland, Abstract Fiber. They have their awesome products available in a number of local stores, listed here: http://www.abstractfiber.com/in-stores.htm

That might be a good place to start, I see a few in Portland.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Dr. Chaco posted:

My aunt has an indie dyeing business based in Portland, Abstract Fiber. They have their awesome products available in a number of local stores, listed here: http://www.abstractfiber.com/in-stores.htm

That might be a good place to start, I see a few in Portland.

My jealousy knows no bounds. I absolutely adore her fibers for spinning and her colours and aaaaah.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Yes, I am spoiled. I have an endless supply of beautiful fibers that I then post on Ravelry as FOs to try to pay her back as advertising. See here, towards the bottom: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Chaco

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Thanks everyone I'm really excited for the wedding and getting to explore Portland in September!

Edit: Abstract Fibers- the yarns are amazing- I will definitely check them out at a local store!
Yarnia makes me really excited because I could get just the color combos that I want :D
Yarn Garden also looks awesome! I'm really excited to check it all out! super :dance:

Peppercat fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 28, 2012

ReneaKat
Dec 11, 2010
Am I just imagining it, or did Ravelry have a place to search for LYS? Like you enter your location and some popped up on a map.

I moved recently and I can't seem to find anything now. But I have a distinct memory of going to some kind of search engine to find my old LYS. Help me please! I'm going crazy!

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
LYS Directory is under the yarn tab, right under the popular yarns box.

ReneaKat
Dec 11, 2010

Drei posted:

LYS Directory is under the yarn tab, right under the popular yarns box.

Thank you! For the life of me, I couldn't find it!

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
I'm trying color work for the first time and while I have a basic understanding of the difference between intarsia and stranded, I have no experience and am coming up to the part where I need it. I want to put this chart on a baby sweater that I'm knitting flat. Can I use intarsia for that? How many different sections will it have to be broken into?

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Remember the discussion about long unfinished knits? Well I finished one of mine after leaving it untouched for nearly a year.

The button placement is off, in my defence I have never sewn buttons before. Also I need to suck in my stomach before taking pictures.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Oh wow. That is so pretty. I love the yoke and the colour and it looks so soft. Wow. What's the pattern?

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

The pattern is Garter Yoke Cadigan. A basic top down raglan with some garter stitch on the top.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
That's very nice. What yarn is it? I love the color and I'm always looking for good reds.

I really wish I liked to wear sweaters.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Last Saturday there was a woman at Wimbledon knitting and wearing what looked like Citron from Knitty. People are trying to find out who she is and I find it extremely creepy.

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

That's very nice. What yarn is it? I love the color and I'm always looking for good reds.

It is Araucania Nature Wool Solids. There's quite a bit of variation skein to skein thanks to it being kettle dyed.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Sodium Chloride posted:

Last Saturday there was a woman at Wimbledon knitting and wearing what looked like Citron from Knitty. People are trying to find out who she is and I find it extremely creepy.

It pretty much is. I would be very distressed if I were her. That's enough to make me not want to knit at major events, yeesh.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
Nobody can help me with my intarsia question? I keep going through tutorials and none of them fully address my question which is how to determine how many separate bobbins of color I will need. Even the ones that go more in depth still don't really explain *why* so it's hard to apply it to a more complex-looking chart like the one I want to use. I'm afraid I'm going to have to go ask someone at my local yarn store. :/

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Unoriginal posted:

Nobody can help me with my intarsia question? I keep going through tutorials and none of them fully address my question which is how to determine how many separate bobbins of color I will need. Even the ones that go more in depth still don't really explain *why* so it's hard to apply it to a more complex-looking chart like the one I want to use. I'm afraid I'm going to have to go ask someone at my local yarn store. :/

It's getting late for me, but I'll try to explain it best I can. At the most "detailed" row, you need as many "sections" of color as there are color changes. With the way intarsia works, you need a separate piece of yarn or bobbin of yarn for each section of color. It doesn't matter if it's one stitch, that stitch needs its own yarn. So, across the middle of that design (where the lion's nose is), it looks like you'd need 11 separate sections of color. I can try and make it make more sense later tomorrow if you still need help.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
Oh dear. I'm guessing I should use stranding for this then. Okay thanks!

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I actually recommend duplicate stitch for this design. At first I thought a combination of intarsia and stranded techniques would be alright but there are long sections where the yarn will be carried behind the work. As a general rule I try not to carry over more than 4 or 5 stitches, any wider than that and maintaining the correct tension becomes tricky to manage as well as leaving a long yarn floating in the back. You could always go back after you're finished and anchor the float with a bit of thread or avoid that altogether by switching to intarsia to get across the gap.

Your original question was regarding number of bobbins. I think 3 ought to do the job, one for the center and two for the left and right halves of the mane section. You will have to keep in mind the rules of intarsia when changing directions are involved, as well as stranding across the back when there are quick color changes. In conclusion: duplicate stitch.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?

Sodium Chloride posted:

Remember the discussion about long unfinished knits? Well I finished one of mine after leaving it untouched for nearly a year.

The button placement is off, in my defence I have never sewn buttons before. Also I need to suck in my stomach before taking pictures.

I started knitting a garter yoke cardi and then stopped because i felt it wasn't going to fit right or something...

Did you find the sizing/measurement info to be accurate?

I would still like to knit one, I guess I just have to wait till i find the right yarn. and the right patience.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

I started knitting a garter yoke cardi and then stopped because i felt it wasn't going to fit right or something...

Did you find the sizing/measurement info to be accurate?

It fits great. Can't really comment on the sizing info as I had to add more increases cause I knit tight, anyway the sizing can be changed easily since it's top down.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Oh, great. I haven't knit a lot of sweaters and when I do knit them I wake up in the night terrified that they'll be too small, despite doing gauge swatches and whatnot.

Let Them Eat Cake
Jul 2, 2007

* Cake Not Included
My insanity, manifested in wool:

In this picture it is fresh from getting hand fulled and is drying to shape down 1/3 the length of my house (after which I have to resoak and block the bugger). After the tassels are attached it should be in the neighborhood of 18 feet long.

Care for a jelly baby?

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Let Them Eat Cake posted:

My insanity, manifested in wool:

In this picture it is fresh from getting hand fulled and is drying to shape down 1/3 the length of my house (after which I have to resoak and block the bugger). After the tassels are attached it should be in the neighborhood of 18 feet long.

Care for a jelly baby?

Sup Who Scarf buddy. I've been lazy about weaving and tassling mine, otherwise it's done.

Let Them Eat Cake
Jul 2, 2007

* Cake Not Included
This is my first season 16. I've done three season 12s and a season 18 previously, and have a couple km of alpaca to do a 14 for giggles one of these days.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Who Scarf Krewe checking in. :toot:

I've had the drat thing knit up for a year now but I'm so lazy about blocking it because I don't think I have a solid 18 feet to stretch it out and let it dry.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.
Does anyone have a favorite baby blankie pattern? I'm looking on Ravelry and drawing a blank. I hate making blankets so I've been putting it off and don't have a ton of time before she pops, so double knitting something awesome is out. I would do a lace heirloom type thing (I'm fast at lace for some reason) but I kind of envision him actually still liking it as a little boy instead of it going in a keepsake drawer.

I feel like a bad person because I'm drawn to all the stereotypical girly stuff and secretly wish she was having a girl so I could reinforce gender roles with PINK FLOWERS. They are doing a 'nautical' theme for the room, even though I demanded dinosaurs. Any suggestions would be very welcome because I am totally lost.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Feather-and-Fan/Old Shale is lacy but can be pretty gender-neutral in a sturdy yarn. Honestly, if the little dude likes blankets as a kid he'll keep on liking it!

ReneaKat
Dec 11, 2010

HeatherChandler posted:

Does anyone have a favorite baby blankie pattern? I'm looking on Ravelry and drawing a blank. I hate making blankets so I've been putting it off and don't have a ton of time before she pops, so double knitting something awesome is out. I would do a lace heirloom type thing (I'm fast at lace for some reason) but I kind of envision him actually still liking it as a little boy instead of it going in a keepsake drawer.

I feel like a bad person because I'm drawn to all the stereotypical girly stuff and secretly wish she was having a girl so I could reinforce gender roles with PINK FLOWERS. They are doing a 'nautical' theme for the room, even though I demanded dinosaurs. Any suggestions would be very welcome because I am totally lost.

me posted:

I've got my eye on this Bulky Baby Blanket because it just looks so soft and squishy. And these Das Monster pants are just so freaking adorable.

Quoting myself from the last page, because I am also having a boy! I finished the bulky baby blanket and I'm in love with it. I don't really like the typical pastel-like colors for babies, so I did the center panel a charcoal gray, with a light blue border. It knit up quick because of the bulky yarn, and it's thick and cozy and just simple enough for a boy to maybe carry around when he's 2 or 3. I'm at work or I'd post a picture of it.

I was also convinced I was having a girl. There must be something in the air.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Feather-and-Fan/Old Shale is lacy but can be pretty gender-neutral in a sturdy yarn. Honestly, if the little dude likes blankets as a kid he'll keep on liking it!

My old standby! I made a feather and fan blankie for someone else and she actually told me she didn't like it to my face. We've been friends for 24 years so I can't be mad, she is the bitchy sister I never had.

(OMG THOSE MONSTER PANTS, I know what someone is getting for xmas)

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Man, what kind of monster doesn't like feather and fan. :colbert:

(Okay, sure, I guess feather and fan blankies are pretty common but hey, it's a very nice stitch.)

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

HeatherChandler posted:

I just finished a pair of OpArts from Knitty for two different people in my office. Both of them say that they are the coolest baby blankets they've ever seen.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

HeatherChandler posted:

Does anyone have a favorite baby blankie pattern?

I've used this Diamond and Smocked Blanket before, and it looks really good and gender-neutral.. also the Hex Afghan from Knitting Nature is nice.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Amykinz posted:

I've used this Diamond and Smocked Blanket before, and it looks really good and gender-neutral.. also the Hex Afghan from Knitting Nature is nice.

Oooh I love the diamond and smocked blanket--how bad does it look on the wrong side?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I dislike feather and fan, but that's because I hate making it and it's absolutely everywhere. It's kind of annoying when you're looking for something different to do.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

HeatherChandler posted:

Oooh I love the diamond and smocked blanket--how bad does it look on the wrong side?

It's not "as nice" as the front side, but it doesn't look too bad. I wouldn't worry about it. The diamonds are seed stitch, so only the smocked bits look "inside-out". It's pretty nice for the wrong side of a blanket. It went pretty quick too, once I got to the pattern area and past the seed stitch border.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Does anyone have one of the KnitPicks yarn swifts and ball winders? Since there aren't really any reviews on their website, I was wondering about the quality of both and if anyone has any comments on them.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I've got the ball winder. It's alright, it winds balls. It feels a little rickety sometimes when I start winding particularly fast, but it also isn't broken and I've had it for about two years. I handspin, so I do actually use it pretty frequently for winding finished skeins into balls. It comes apart for easier storage, too, which is kind of nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Here's a question: Does anyone here own an automatic ball winder? My crochet teacher has been drooling over the idea for ages, but hasn't worked up the nerve to drop $100ish (50-60ish with coupon) on one.