Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
It seems to me like Ves didn't tell Geralt and Roche that Henselt raped her, so the lie was him just letting her go. If you confront Henselt about it later Geralt uses a more questioning tone, so it just seems like a disconnect between what the player and the characters know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Buddy, that's the bad kind of spoiler, the kind no one knows what it's about until you've read it. Was it in response to something on the last page?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Captain Walker posted:

Buddy, that's the bad kind of spoiler, the kind no one knows what it's about until you've read it. Was it in response to something on the last page?

I took the plunge. It's about Ves and Henselt in Act 2 Roche path. And it does seem to be a reply to either Agent Noun or Jerusalem.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

If you're wary of spoilers why are you even reading them?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I didn't, I just saw the black bars without any context.

Batmans dad
Jun 27, 2008
The second post of this thread urged the player to visit the Blue Stripes house in Flotsam for a quest whos name I've forgotten. So I did. What would've happened if I didn't? Also, by the end of the game Geralt still had that dumb Blue Stripes tattoo on his neck, because I didn't bother finding those ingredients for Sile. Let's hope there's another way to remove it in The Witcher 3, oh boy. Geralt doesn't strike me as a tattoo guy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Batmans dad posted:

The second post of this thread urged the player to visit the Blue Stripes house in Flotsam for a quest whos name I've forgotten. So I did. What would've happened if I didn't? Also, by the end of the game Geralt still had that dumb Blue Stripes tattoo on his neck, because I didn't bother finding those ingredients for Sile. Let's hope there's another way to remove it in The Witcher 3, oh boy. Geralt doesn't strike me as a tattoo guy.

I'm fairly certain the post was trying to trap you into getting the tattoo. Nothing else really comes from that quest, as far as I know. It's just hilarious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Agent Noun posted:

I'm fairly certain the post was trying to trap you into getting the tattoo. Nothing else really comes from that quest, as far as I know. It's just hilarious.

It's worth it for the reveal of what Geralt tried to do with the whores and the river. :laugh:

Batmans dad
Jun 27, 2008

Agent Noun posted:

Well poo poo, now I feel like a dumb goose. That quest was great though. Better than Skyrim's 'you got drunk and don't remember what happened. Go clean up your mess' quest.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Batmans dad posted:

Well poo poo, now I feel like a dumb goose. That quest was great though. Better than Skyrim's 'you got drunk and don't remember what happened. Go clean up your mess' quest.

And the tattoo was a hilarious take on the modern draw cocks on your pal's face after he passes out drunk modern prank

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Just finished the game on the Roche path. Holy poo poo this was good.

Diving right back in to my crossroads save to do the Iorveth path and change all my decisions in Act 3. None shall be spared, as opposed to all!

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

So they added a new achievement to the Steam version called "Summer Solstice" I guess to celebrate the Steam summer sale. If you go to the bandit hideout in the swamp area on the other side of the river where the troll is, in the area off to the right of the hideout there's a shrine you can active. Doing that not only gets you the achievement but a new ability called "Summer's Crown" which turns the Quen sign into "Solar Quen" which apparently has a 10% chance of incinerating enemies that attack you. Though in the brief moment I was messing around with it I didn't see anyone get incinerated. I don't have the reflect damage upgrade for Quen so maybe you need that. Also I'm guessing this will also work for the GOG version (minus the achievement of course).

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I just got this on Steam sale, and I want to use my 360 controller. I am having trouble equipping things and reading the notes. I set the controller as my input in the control settings, and I have the official UI mod.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
There's an official UI mod?

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
There's a new interview with the devs about the new Cyberpunk IP and the lessons learned from The Witcher 2 on Gamasutra.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Himuro posted:

There's an official UI mod?

Last patch integrated some changes from mods, so maybe that?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I'm getting CTDs every 45 minutes with this game, does it have some kind of memory leak or something?

Also how the gently caress do you arm wrestle? The little tutorial doesn't say which button to mash...

Red Crown fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 17, 2012

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
You're actually using the mouse or joystick to try and keep the icon within the moving bar.

And I've never heard of any memory leak problems with the game. I don't think crashes like that are very common. It may be a longshot, but I was having crashing issues around the game's launch, and it turned out to be my graphics card overheating.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
This game is the best game. I got it the other day when it was on sale, and in the two times I've fired it up, I played it for 7 and 6 hours straight. I... I can't seem to put it down.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

enthe0s posted:

This game is the best game. I got it the other day when it was on sale, and in the two times I've fired it up, I played it for 7 and 6 hours straight. I... I can't seem to put it down.

I know the feeling. I don't know what it is, either.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I intentionally haven't fired up the game in at least two weeks, because I know if I do, the rest of my day disappears.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Should i be using a custom user.ini file or just go with what the Geforce.com page says? I am playing with a ti @ 1080p. I get decent performance but I noticed after using the Tweaker program from the OP I get 20fps dips in the cutscenes now.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Jesus trying to play this thing with a gamepad makes me want to pull my hair out. Should I just give in and use a keyboard/mouse setup?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I don't see why not, the game played fine for me with Mouse and Keyboard.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I like playing Action RPGs more with a controller, but the interface is so unintuitive that I am thinking of switching. My hands get tired after marathon gaming sessions though :/

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

enthe0s posted:

Yeah seriously, you load it up to play, you feel like you're kind of zipping through the game curiously fast then you realize five hours have gone by.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm thinking about buying it on sale, but canyourunit says I'm short on the processor but not by much. Is Witcher the type of game that makes or breaks on that, or am I fine (as long as everything else exceeds the minimum)?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's very demanding, I actually upgraded my system for it earlier this year because it ran like poo poo on my old machine. Playing this at 15 fps is no fun.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
When I first bought the game, I met the minimum specs, but it was not satisfactorily playable for me. I did a little upgrading, got past the recommended and all was good. Yeah, it's a demanding game.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I've got to say I think the draugr boss is one of the coolest looking things I've seen in a game.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
Alright so kept playing the game and eventually gotten somewhere in skill so I'm not dying in such terrible ways.

But I now understand what a bad port feels like. The camera controls and movement were obviously meant for a keyboard mouse combo.

Also you really don't role play the classical Mage/fighter/archer thing al all in this game despite the skills indicating otherwise. It s'more like what kind of Rogue do you want to play? The Magic Rogue, Trap Rogue or Fighter Rogue. Which is alright I guess, not what I was expecting but it fits the character so not that hard to forgive some of the useless spells/skills (that control spell is almost impossible to use with a controller mid battle).

Having said all of that and having this ridiculously long rant planned, I gotta say the game is pretty great. I think a lot of my complaints come from it being on a console.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Morphix posted:

But I now understand what a bad port feels like. The camera controls and movement were obviously meant for a keyboard mouse combo.

Ha ha! Thanks for the chuckle. A radial menu that opens with a button press is keyboard-and-mouse friendly? Riiiiight. This is about the most loutish, ill-informed thing I've read on here in a while.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ha ha! Thanks for the chuckle. A radial menu that opens with a button press is keyboard-and-mouse friendly? Riiiiight. This is about the most loutish, ill-informed thing I've read on here in a while.

Were you wearing a stove hat while writing this.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

poptart_fairy posted:

Were you wearing a stove hat while writing this.

No, but I did just see Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm talking about the wonky character movement and the camera specifically. My character constantly just stops moving, like his animation gets reset or something. Part of the problem is I hate the left stick click action as I always accidentally press it mid action. And the camera, Jesus is it useless when fighting dudes inside. And this is not including how sensitive it is in terms on input. Without that rolling everywhere tip I would have given up on this game long ago because it's not fun getting constantly killed by a dude off camera.

So no, just because it has radial menus doesn't mean it controls fluidly on the 360. And I dont generally complain about such poo poo but in this game, it's a large part of it which is sad because really the rest of the game is awesome.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Quick question, does loving whores and such actually get you anything like items or experience or is it just a weird distraction like those sex cards in the first game?

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Davincie posted:

Quick question, does loving whores and such actually get you anything like items or experience or is it just a weird distraction like those sex cards in the first game?

The latter.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Snow Job posted:

The latter.

But go ahead and gently caress all the whores you can too, extra points for demi beings.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I will say that whore loving is a rather ingenious way to implement a money sink in a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I just completed the game as an alchemist witcher. Really really powerful. I defeated the (chapter 3) operator while buffed in two hits. So much easier than my first time.

• Locked thread