Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Much like anything David Cross does!

I love Cross and will take more of that over Katt Williams any day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Playing on PC, I didn't think the Zero missions were all that bad.

Air Raid: Mouselook. :smug:
Supply Lines: I guess PC got the easy mode according to GTWiki
New Model Army: This was the Zero mission that was actually fun according to others. I had fun here too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The last Zero mission is really easy if you approach it in the right way.

I just ran through SA and it seemed a lot easier this time around. I had beaten the game on PC twice years ago when it first came out. Of course Supply Lines was still a pain.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
Is there any point to the boating school? I'm finally beating this game after having it since its original release. How many gang areas do you have to take over during the riot until Sweet's missions open up again? Also gently caress Sweet he's a dick.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Clamknuckle posted:

Is there any point to the boating school? I'm finally beating this game after having it since its original release. How many gang areas do you have to take over during the riot until Sweet's missions open up again? Also gently caress Sweet he's a dick.

I'm fairly sure getting all Bronze is for 100% completion and getting all Gold unlocks new boats for you to dick around in. That's about it. There's a bike school in Venturas too that does much the same thing.

If I remember correctly, there is around 35 territories you have to take before the final mission opens up.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
Oh christ that's a lot of territories. At least the bike school increases your skill. Hopefully I'll knock those out today.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
It's actually 35% of the total territory. There are 53 in all so you're looking at taking over around 19, but I'm not sure whether it takes the size of the territories you control into account when calculating your percentage. Just keep an eye on your stats screen.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Seeing you guys all talking about San Andreas has made me want to go for 100% on it. :shepface:

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

moms pubis posted:

It's actually 35% of the total territory. There are 53 in all so you're looking at taking over around 19, but I'm not sure whether it takes the size of the territories you control into account when calculating your percentage. Just keep an eye on your stats screen.

Yep it was 19. I finally finished it! I was trying to put out the fires in the last mission until I remembered I was fireproof. Made the rest of it a lot easier. Being dumb is fun!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Zedicus Mann posted:

Seeing you guys all talking about San Andreas has made me want to go for 100% on it. :shepface:

Oh god I never managed this despite going through every collectable location with a guide twice to try to find the handful of missing ones. I think I got to 98 or 99% but just couldn't find those last couple of things. I'll never know if it was a glitch or if I just missed them.

Those tags/oysters/whatever were still better than loving pigeons though.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Zedicus Mann posted:

I did that trice. :shepface:
(2nd and 3rd time I used one of those premade saves before the 2nd mission with all collectables)

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

marktheando posted:

The train mission is really easy if you make sure you aren't too close to the train. If you are right next to it Smoke will be shooting the train and not the guys. Stick to the side of the road furthest from the train. Of course I didn't realise this the first few dozen times I tried the mission.

This. Just stay out to the right of the train, and a little bit behind the guy you want smoke to shoot and he will kill them incredibly fast. If you're trying to keep dead even with the very front of the train smoke wont do poo poo and you'll probably screw up. That mission is super, super easy and anyone who has trouble with it is probably overthinking how to approach it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So what you're saying is, all you have to do is follow the drat train?

I'm currently replaying SA on the PC and I'm inching closer and closer to the dreaded flight school. Is there any way to cheat my way past it, and any annoying missions after (gently caress that one where you raid the plane)?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

moms pubis posted:

Ah right. I got mixed up between the percentage of territory owned and the number of territories owned. My mistake.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

It's crazy how much my mind has changed since playing games with an Xbox 360 and PS3 controller.
My Logitech Dual Action used to be just fine for GTA SA. :smith:

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
San Andreas and Chinatown Wars are actually the only GTA games I've successfully 100%ed. I came very close with III, but I left the ambulance mission too long and there was no way I could complete it with every gang in the city gunning for me.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
I'm about to start 4 again for the first time in 4 years. I'm gonna stick it through to the end this time!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

moms pubis posted:

San Andreas and Chinatown Wars are actually the only GTA games I've successfully 100%ed. I came very close with III, but I left the ambulance mission too long and there was no way I could complete it with every gang in the city gunning for me.

This is why when playing III it's best to do ambulance missions at the beginning of the game before you ever enrage the Triads or the Diablos'. Same for Firetruck missions and Vigilante.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Momomo posted:

So what you're saying is, all you have to do is follow the drat train?

I'm currently replaying SA on the PC and I'm inching closer and closer to the dreaded flight school. Is there any way to cheat my way past it, and any annoying missions after (gently caress that one where you raid the plane)?

Isn't there a bug with the skydiving plane mission where the framerate limiter stops your plane from ever catching up with the mafia jet? I know there's definitely a similar bug in driving school with the "do a barrel roll" test.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Himuro posted:

This is why when playing III it's best to do ambulance missions at the beginning of the game before you ever enrage the Triads or the Diablos'. Same for Firetruck missions and Vigilante.
Aww yeah. I remember ambulance missions were the only thing I had left to do. I eventually beat it by using the "repair vehicle" cheat excessively :(

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Even the very mention of ambulance missions makes my blood rise. I 100%ed GTAIII, Vice City and San Andreas at least twice each and the ambulance missions were easily the worst part of III and Vice. I can't really remember what they were like in San Andreas but in III and Vice it probably took about twenty attempts each time to pass them. The worst part was failing on dumb poo poo like reversing over a patient on the final level or tipping over the ambulance on the slightest turns and my personal favourite cancelling the mission by accidentally leaving the ambulance.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The only upside was that if you flipped it on the side holding the reversed direction and driving backwards made them magically flip back on their wheels.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Hank Morgan posted:

Even the very mention of ambulance missions makes my blood rise. I 100%ed GTAIII, Vice City and San Andreas at least twice each and the ambulance missions were easily the worst part of III and Vice. I can't really remember what they were like in San Andreas but in III and Vice it probably took about twenty attempts each time to pass them. The worst part was failing on dumb poo poo like reversing over a patient on the final level or tipping over the ambulance on the slightest turns and my personal favourite cancelling the mission by accidentally leaving the ambulance.

SA was easier because you could do it in the middle of the woods where there were few roads and traffic was easily avoidable. Also the enemy gangs didn't have shot guns.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 12, 2012

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Hank Morgan posted:

Get one of garage editor cheats, make a damageproof ambulance and tweak cars config file for it to have weight of 50 tons for collision calculation and center of mass 0.5 meter under it. Then just smash through whatever traffic and always land on wheels.
In SA you can do it in Angel Pine with regular ambulance easily, it has a hospital but is also really tiny so you never need to go far and patients give more time than it takes to deliver them.
In contrast, firetruck mission is easy money in any of the III GTA.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 12, 2012

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I actually thought the VC ambulance missions were pretty fair (especially in "Miami Beach"). Having a full map to see where to go made a huge difference - although, that time I actually remembered to do it early.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
SA's R3 missions were really, really boring. They were so easy, and the only part of the difficulty of them was the intense long distance it took to get to each target. The actual missions themselves were boring because there was always so much dead time, especially taxi missions. Like in Los Santos, you'll get 10 minutes on your clock and have to get from one end of the city to the next. Repeat. Seeing as how taxis are the first thing I ever enter whenever I play a Grand Theft Auto to learn all the shortcuts and sights and sounds and some of the more intimate portions of the cities, this was torture.

Speaking of which, in keeping that tradition, when I first played GTAIV I was really angry I couldn't do a taxi mission to learn the streets of Broker.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 12, 2012

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Hank Morgan posted:

Never use the foot brake in the ambulance, always use the handbrake for turns. I think it's actually impossible to flip a cornering ambulance with the handbrake held down.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
It's easy to the R3 missions in one of the small towns in SA. For example I did all of the Amulance missions in Fort Carson.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

BrandonGK posted:

It's easy to the R3 missions in one of the small towns in SA. For example I did all of the Amulance missions in Fort Carson.

Yeah I think it was the only way Ambulance was tolerable. You were having to load up to 9 or 10 people per round, zigzagging back and fourth. It was tedious in that small hillbilly town, I couldn't imagine how hard it would be in the large main cities.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not really hard, but exponentially more tedious. In my current playthrough I gave it a try in Los Santos and got to level 4 or 5 before I thought, gently caress this, gonna wait until the small towns. The problem is it's really easy if you simply plan your routes and drive carefully, but when you do that it drags on for far too long. Even if the emergency vehicles just had radio it would be tolerable but driving 78 patients in a row with nothing but WEEEOOOEEEOOO going on is enough to make anyone want more Supply Lines.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Clamknuckle posted:

I'm about to start 4 again for the first time in 4 years. I'm gonna stick it through to the end this time!

If you haven't already played EoLC, do so afterwards. They cut out most of the unfun filler missions (stalking cars) and improved motorcycle handling.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Rockstar stealth-released a couple new GTA5 screens during a website Q&A thing:

quote:

“Why don’t you give us more news?” – received via Mouthoff

As we have said before, we have often had long gaps between asset releases on previous games and will continue to do so in the future. We are sorry if you find this frustrating, but please understand, we don’t do this because we ‘don’t care about our fans' 'don’t respect our fans’ 'hate GTA fans etc' – precisely the opposite! We do it because we want to make sure we only release 100% correct information, and because we want to keep plenty back for the actual game release so there are still lots of surprises when you play it. The only things we care about are that you enjoy the experience of actually playing the game and that we release accurate information. We just have not been in a position to show more of the game than the trailer and will not be for a while yet. We did, however, manage to sneak a quick screenshot out for you… it’s not much, but we thought it was pretty fun.

Then of course our art team said that no single shot could encapsulate the game properly, so they gave us another...

We will try and get some more screens for you soon and then another trailer when we are ready.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That looks pretty gorgeous. Can't wait to see how much they have to tone it down for us console owners. :allears:

E: Also can't wait for someone to claim that the number of trees in the second picture totally means Tommy Vercetti is the main character. GTA speculation is the worst.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 12, 2012

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
So I guess months of fanboy bitching finally paid off.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Himuro posted:

SA's R3 missions were really, really boring. They were so easy, and the only part of the difficulty of them was the intense long distance it took to get to each target. The actual missions themselves were boring because there was always so much dead time, especially taxi missions. Like in Los Santos, you'll get 10 minutes on your clock and have to get from one end of the city to the next. Repeat. Seeing as how taxis are the first thing I ever enter whenever I play a Grand Theft Auto to learn all the shortcuts and sights and sounds and some of the more intimate portions of the cities, this was torture.

Speaking of which, in keeping that tradition, when I first played GTAIV I was really angry I couldn't do a taxi mission to learn the streets of Broker.

Roman has taxi missions for a very, very short time.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
That's not the Golden Gate Bridge way off in the distance of the first screenshot, is it? I don't remember Los Santos having a bridge like that.

And it wouldn't be a true speculation post until I say SAN FIERO: CONFIRMED

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Angry Boat posted:

Roman has taxi missions for a very, very short time.

I know, but you have to unlock it and it's so brief it might as well not count.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Knightmare posted:

That's not the Golden Gate Bridge way off in the distance of the first screenshot, is it? I don't remember Los Santos having a bridge like that.

And it wouldn't be a true speculation post until I say SAN FIERO: CONFIRMED
Probably more likely based on the Vincent Thomas Bridge

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
The first and only time I did the Ambulance missions in any of the GTA III games was in San Andreas. I managed to do it in San Fierro of all places, and I remember it was a race against my waning health bar more than anything because I didn't stock up on fat and it took so long that CJ was literally wasting away in the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ROCKSTAR GIVE US BULLY 2 DAMMIT

• Locked thread