Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Tyma posted:

The American-style and Japanese-style machines are equally fair, and both work on the principle of "once enough money has gone into this machine, someone wins a prize worth 1/3 of that money".

The Japanese machines generally involve playing until a prize has been nudged into a winnable position, or in the case of the Barber Shop machine, hotting the wire with a blunt blade enough times that the wire starts to sever. You can't win by skill alone, but players who understand the game can usually look at the machine, and make a reasonable estimate of how many times more the machine has to be played, before the prize becomes winnable

The only difference with American-style machines is that it's harder for an onlooker to judge how many more plays the machine will take before it becomes winnable. Instead of a claw that controls the same every time, the strength of the claw varies based on how much money is in the machine. When the machine has accumulated 300% of the value of the prize, the claw's gripping properties will change, and the machine will pay out.

A modern variation of SWP games now hitting both Japan and American are based on the concept of a "Magic Pixel". The most transparant of these is Stacker - a game where you have to use skill to drop giant pixels ontop of each other until they reach the top. As the game is accumulating money, it will allow players to reach the top of the screen, but if they successfuly hit the jackpot, the game will simply ignore the winning input, and show the player that they hit a fraction of a second too early or too late. Only when the machine has accumulated enough money to pay out the prize, will the game start aknowledging correct presses, and let the player win. Another good example is Key Master, which works on the same principle, but also ignores correct inputs, and nudges the player's aim one pixel to the right to stop a successful win, until it accumulates enough money to pay out.

Whether these games are winnable or not depends on the honesty of the staff operating the machines. If 900 people in a row play Stacker, then it will pay out an iPad on the 900th play, but that's assuming nobody empties the machine, or resets the counter inbetween those 900 plays.

In Japan, it seems to make good business sense to let the machines pay out, so that players win, or see other people win, and are re-assured that all is fair. Outside Japan, arcade owners are traditionaly a little less honest, and would probably rather keep their iPad AND the $900.

I honestly find the Japanese method of visually showing the current status a lot fairer. I'm not good at prize catchers but I've won plenty of stuff here without breaking the bank just by watching carefully. There are also definitely machines that can be won in like two or three goes just by knowing what the proper method is. Not to say that there aren't cases where a prize has to be bumped around a whole lot of times before it becomes winnable within 500 yen, because those kinds of machines are also numerous. It's a far cry from how rare this can be in American machines though. Granted I'm not talking about machines that pay out iPods and Wiis and stuff - just really sweet Monster Hunter plushes and giant Rilakkuma merchandise. Things people want but aren't in the realm of the fantastic as far as what you could win with 100 yen.

Also...

Hirayuki posted:

Hell, in Japan it's not unknown for staff to occasionally rearrange prizes to give you a leg up.

This is very common, and I noticed it on multiple occasions in Osaka. If a staff sees you try a couple times on a game and fail they'll usually come and put it in a more winnable position for you. Of course, it's entirely possible that without their help the prize would be one of those cases where you'd have to spend tens of dollars nudging the drat thing, but at the very least if you just show the guys working there (They're constantly walking around monitoring the machines) that you gave it a go and want to try again they're very helpful.

Edit: If you haven't picked up on the undertones of this post, yes I have become slightly addicted to UFO Catchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
In the Yakuza videogames you can have the Club Sega staff rearrange the prizes in the UFO catcher for you. I just kinda figured it was something they made for the game because hey, its a videogame why not, but its crazy that theres actual real life precedent for this!

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I'm not surprised since we've seen this a number of times of GCCX.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Mister Chief posted:

I'm not surprised since we've seen this a number of times of GCCX.

Well, yes, but I personally assumed it was because, you know, Arino and a gang of cameras and crew

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Episode #144
Gun Dec
7/19/2012

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

In the Yakuza videogames you can have the Club Sega staff rearrange the prizes in the UFO catcher for you. I just kinda figured it was something they made for the game because hey, its a videogame why not, but its crazy that theres actual real life precedent for this!

Wait, there's a UFO catcher simulator in Yakuza? Why the gently caress am I not playing it right now?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nickoten posted:

Wait, there's a UFO catcher simulator in Yakuza? Why the gently caress am I not playing it right now?

You are like that dude in the first Yakuza who lost all his money trying to win a prize for his girlfriend or something. Or maybe he sold his girlfriend's present to keep playing? I forget but basically what I'm saying is that people addicted to ufo catchers are crazy and also you're crazy.

Well, I kid, but I really don't see how such a thing can be so addictive.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It's called gambling.

EDIT: Gun Dec is Vice: Project Doom? Awesome!

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Mister Chief posted:

There is no way they will say yes and I think it is rude to even ask. It is a place of work not a museum. You should visit some of the arcades and such that have been featured on the show itself.

Is this something particular to Japan or the US or something? Why would it be rude to ask? I've been given tours of studios and offices a few times and it's literally never been a problem.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Nickoten posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVGN0rnfQB4

Not a bad thing to waste time on between punchin punks/shootin zombies in the face

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

the least weasel posted:

Is this something particular to Japan or the US or something? Why would it be rude to ask? I've been given tours of studios and offices a few times and it's literally never been a problem.

I just think it is intruding. It's their work place and judging from what I have seen on the show they work quite hard so I personally would feel weird about interrupting someone's day just so I can look at a cluttered Japanese office space.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
I guess that's why you call ahead?? What the guy wants to look at is entirely up to him.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

the least weasel posted:

I guess that's why you call ahead?? What the guy wants to look at is entirely up to him.

Sure you can call ahead and ask, but as a rule Japanese offices (even "cool" ones) do things strictly by-the-book, and that book is so much more limiting than what you're used to it's shocking. Even if you were granted a tour you'd probably break formalities in potentially rude ways (considering it's a place of business) that you wouldn't even be aware of. As an example, I was scolded the other day at my office for standing with one hand in my pocket. You also need to consider that their having a guest will be burden on them, due to the formalities they'll be expected to extend to you. In that sense, it IS rude, you're imposing.

Honestly your native guide should know better than to even ask.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 12, 2012

Opal
May 10, 2005

Thanks, that's a better answer.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You are like that dude in the first Yakuza who lost all his money trying to win a prize for his girlfriend or something. Or maybe he sold his girlfriend's present to keep playing? I forget but basically what I'm saying is that people addicted to ufo catchers are crazy and also you're crazy.

Well, I kid, but I really don't see how such a thing can be so addictive.

It just feels good to give your friends sweet gifts! :unsmith: Conversely that's why I also have no proof (That doesn't include pictures of my friends, at least) to show you guys how winnable they are here. =/

I'm not seriously addicted, but I do give them a try when I'm in the big city and happen across a machine that looks possible.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I'll try a claw machine or UFO catcher if there's a decent prize that actually looks like it could be grabbed. Most of the time, the good stuff is buried under a bunch of generic hats or stuffed toys, but every now and then you can get something good. I got a stuffed Duck Dodgers that way a couple months ago within two tries, but if it looks like I won't get it without spending more than $2, it's not worth it. It's also hard to know when a machine will pay off sometimes.

It's easy to see why Arino is so addicted to them, what with his love for anything related to gambling.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I finally started Guadia Quest and got to the first boss before getting hosed up by him. I was thinking that my guys were all over-leveled at level 14 each, but I guess not. :shobon: It is really fun, though, and is reminding me a lot of Dragon Warrior minus the insane amount of grinding (although there will definitely be some, it seems to be a lot less).

Random Stranger posted:

I think it took me about fifteen hours to do and I did have to do a bit of grinding.

However, there is a superpowerful guardian you can pick up that makes things pretty simple: it's Arino himself, of course. You're best off looking at a FAQ for the exact location but I remember it's found in a square of one forest by itself in the NW region of the map.
I remember Arino doing the spoilered part in that untranslated video from one of the DVDs that came out around the time Arino's Challenge 2 came out you guys posted at the beginning of this thread. I'm gonna try to do that if I can since Arino-Guadia seems pretty powerful and hopefully broken to my advantage from what I've read.

Davzz posted:

I was under the impression that you were meant to use power-leveling and "read an FAQ" tricks to severely cut down the Guardia Quest playtime. I mean, that's one of the "meta" concepts of the game.
Those will definitely help cut the playtime down, but I'm gonna try to do this with as little FAQ reading as possible to keep that old school RPG feel. Although, I have a feeling the endgame stuff will be long and complicated and I'll end up FAQing a lot of that.

Also, adding the claw machine chat, I actually won a little stuffed pig doll from a Wal-Mart lobby claw machine on my first try. I was trying to pick it up, but the claw was too weak to hold it. However, it did knock it enough for it to fall in the chute and I still got it. That was a total Arino moment and it felt amazing. :)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gaiking posted:

Now to the reason for this post! I'll be visiting Japan for two weeks with my wife, we will be staying at Tokyo for 5 days. What do you guys think would be the most feasible way of trying to get in contact with gascoin with the possibility of touring their offices and meeting their staff?

There's no chance of them saying yes and there really isn't much to see with the Gascoin offices. We've been through the whole place in various episodes and videos, it's a tiny set up (the challenge room is about the width of the whole office). The room I'm typing this post in is about half the size of the entire place.

Now you can tour Fuji TV though I've heard that the tour isn't that interesting. The building itself is pretty cool though and worth taking a look at.

There are places on the map that I would recommend visiting:

Try Amusement Tower is probably the best arcade for retro games that has been featured on the show. Go see if that guy is still playing Xevious.

Super Potato has a decent though kind of small retro arcade on the floor above the store that's worth a visit. The store itself also had a Game Center CX display set up when I visited with a copy of all the games Arino had played in it.

The old mechanical games that Arino loves tend to be in out of the way places like convenience stores so a visit to the 10 Yen Game Museum might be worth it but it's really out of the way and buried in a neighborhood.

I'm sure you'll wind up at Tokyo Tower so ride the Suzuki 8 Hours machine tandem with someone.

Basically look at the map, see what's close to your hotel and pop in if you have a minute. Almost none of the places Arino has gone to are worth more than a brief stop so they're not really worth going out of your way for and you don't want to spend your vacation going into tiny arcades and convenience stores but if you're close by you might want to take a look.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Mister Chief posted:

EDIT: Gun Dec is Vice: Project Doom? Awesome!

Wow, I didn't know that was the Japanese title either. Great game, I don't thikn Arino will have too much trouble with it but for all we know it could end up being another two-parter...

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

Shock Trooper posted:

Wow, I didn't know that was the Japanese title either. Great game, I don't thikn Arino will have too much trouble with it but for all we know it could end up being another two-parter...

The game is side-scroller, but the very first stage is a top-down vertical shooter (you're in a car), and as has been documented, Arino is AWESOME at shooters. Or was that the opposite of that...? I anticipate several deaths from Arino on that alone! Haha.

Early on, I forget which stage, once you're into the side-scrolling action part, there are places where the floor drops and you have zero warning that they'll fall. The saving grace (someone correct me) is that there are unlimited continues.

The game looks and sounds great, reminded me of the first Batman title on the NES, with the "lived-in" city-scapes and the cyberpunk atmosphere.

Prediction: victory.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

In the Tamage in the Bikkuriman World episode I found it quite cute how there was an Initial D arcade game in the game corner, since Saitama is actually one of the prefectures Takumi and his crew visit in the series and one of the mountain passes, Tsuchisaka, is a selectable course in that particular version of the game.

Also I have an old issue of CoroCoro Comics from I think 2000 or so (which Pokemon is serialized in) and I remember seeing Bikkuriman stuff advertised in there. I don't know if it's still around anymore now, but it definitely was whenever that magazine was published.

e: Calling Abe "Lord Abe" from now on

Zeether fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 12, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

petewhitley posted:

Sure you can call ahead and ask, but as a rule Japanese offices (even "cool" ones) do things strictly by-the-book, and that book is so much more limiting than what you're used to it's shocking. Even if you were granted a tour you'd probably break formalities in potentially rude ways (considering it's a place of business) that you wouldn't even be aware of. As an example, I was scolded the other day at my office for standing with one hand in my pocket. You also need to consider that their having a guest will be burden on them, due to the formalities they'll be expected to extend to you. In that sense, it IS rude, you're imposing.

Honestly your native guide should know better than to even ask.

Yeah, I've done work for Gascoin Company and even I would never, ever ask to visit them. Business is... well, serious business over there, and even if I were invited I'd be afraid of going and inadvertently offending them somehow (like the hand in the pocket thing). Even visiting a friend's place is made into a big deal there. There's a lot of things the host must do and things a guest must do. The first thing you have to say upon entering someone's house is ojamashimasu, which at heart means "excuse me" but literally means "I'm going to bother you" or "I'm going to disturb you." An alternate thing to say is gomen kudasai which means "please give me pardon (for bothering you)." Those formalities alone should give you a picture on the whole host-guest culture in Japan. It's practically a ritual and not nearly as casual as North America. And when a place of business is involved, it's double the formalities and rules.

Random Stranger posted:

[...] there really isn't much to see with the Gascoin offices. We've been through the whole place in various episodes and videos, it's a tiny set up (the challenge room is about the width of the whole office).

This is also worth noting.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 12, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

zari-gani posted:

Yeah, I've done work for Gascoin Company and even I would never, ever ask to visit them. Business is... well, serious business over there, and even if I were invited I'd be afraid of going and inadvertently offending them somehow (like the hand in the pocket thing). Even visiting a friend's place is made into a big deal there. There's a lot of things the host must do and things a guest must do. The first thing you have to say upon entering someone's house is ojamashimasu, which at heart means "excuse me" but literally means "I'm going to bother you" or "I'm going to disturb you." An alternate thing to say is gomen kudasai which means "please give me pardon (for bothering you)." Those formalities alone should give you a picture on the whole host-guest culture in Japan. It's practically a ritual and not nearly as casual as North America. And when a place of business is involved, it's double the formalities and rules.

The more I read and hear about this the scarier it seems. I've heard there are customs related to how to ask or receive things and that they may ask you something multiple times and you're expected to answer one way for a few times before finally conceding and answering the other way whereas over here you're just asked and possibly given a "you sure?" and then that's the end of it. Makes it seem like every time you visit someone's house you're in an exam and a wrong answer can insult your host.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 12, 2012

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

zari-gani posted:

The first thing you have to say upon entering someone's house is ojamashimasu, which at heart means "excuse me" but literally means "I'm going to bother you" or "I'm going to disturb you." An alternate thing to say is gomen kudasai which means "please give me pardon (for bothering you)." Those formalities alone should give you a picture on the whole host-guest culture in Japan. It's practically a ritual and not nearly as casual as North America. And when a place of business is involved, it's double the formalities and rules.

Japan is a strange place: http://www.nytimes.com/2000/06/06/world/kunitachi-city-journal-japanese-trains-try-to-shed-a-gruesome-appeal.html?pagewanted=2&src=pm

I'm of two minds about the cultural difference, on the one hand, I really dislike the incredibly casual nature of interactions in america. People here are too informal and too forward in some really inappropriate situations.

On the other, the absurdly ritualized interactions in Japan seem like they give no room to interact on a relaxed level with people. I suppose it's 'normal' for them though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

zari-gani posted:

Is this still pretty common in the younger generation? Or is it more of a generational thing that's dying out? I'm kind of fascinated by the heightened emphasis on politeness and order in Japanese culture.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I was under the impression white collar-type jobs were stricter with the formalities than other places, to the point that companies have to train their new employees how to observe hierarchies and politeness levels because daily life isn't nearly that intense. It's not like slouching or something at a friend's house is going to get you excommunicated. :v:

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

victrix posted:

On the other, the absurdly ritualized interactions in Japan seem like they give no room to interact on a relaxed level with people. I suppose it's 'normal' for them though.

You'd think this, but I don't think it's really the case. There's a certain level of comfort and reassurance in ritual. The person visiting appreciates the host going to the trouble of receiving them with observed formalities, and the host appreciates the visitor taking the time to stop by and enjoy themselves (as long as they leave their shoes at the door).

In response to Pablo Gigante, my impression from those I've met in Tokyo is that such politenesses are absolutely observed regularly among younger and older adults alike. The culture in places like Tokyo really promotes widespread self-awareness in living among other people in a way that just doesn't exist in America, and it promotes it at all levels of age and society. People go out of their way to be considerate of others, and that absolutely includes manners.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hokuto posted:

In response to Pablo Gigante, my impression from those I've met in Tokyo is that such politenesses are absolutely observed regularly among younger and older adults alike. The culture in places like Tokyo really promotes widespread self-awareness in living among other people in a way that just doesn't exist in America, and it promotes it at all levels of age and society. People go out of their way to be considerate of others, and that absolutely includes manners.
Funny thing, people in Tokyo are absolute assholes compared to people elsewhere in Japan. They're so cold. (Not everyone, of course--I mean in general, the people in the streets with whom one interacts on a daily basis.) Part of it comes from the self-preservation that kicks in within a human's mind when faced with the seething masses and complete overload of a megalopolis like Tokyo. Which can also mean that the ritualized manners are a way of maintaining one's humanity when one's brain wants to shut out everything just to stay sane.

I met with some clients in Tokyo last month. As warm and friendly as we all were with one another (and I had not met any of them in person before), we did keep up the usual prescribed niceties--although one big (video game) client seemed honestly surprised and tickled that I had brought a gift, and laughed when I said the standard phrase about it not being much of anything at all. He seemed to honestly think I didn't have to have done or said those ritual things. (Although that might have been because they don't expect foreigners to follow the rules...which means you might have a shot of getting that tour after all! heh)

But yeah, it's probably not worth getting into the offices even if you could. That big video-game company I mentioned is pretty boring apart from its lobby. Try the Fuji TV building: it's on the Odaiba island, a lovely train ride from the mainland, with a lot of other stuff to do in the area; there's a market selling regional delicacies from around Japan, and at least one shop selling Fuji TV swag!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

On a somewhat related note I've been in the offices of many american game devs, and outside some rare exceptions on the very, very high end (ie, Blizzard), most of them are... about what you'd expect from a business office.

A boring business office!

I can't imagine japanese dev studios are much different, much less small tv show offices.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

victrix posted:

On a somewhat related note I've been in the offices of many american game devs, and outside some rare exceptions on the very, very high end (ie, Blizzard), most of them are... about what you'd expect from a business office.

A boring business office!

I can't imagine japanese dev studios are much different, much less small tv show offices.

Pretty much this unless you're touring a mocap building or they have an interesting break room. I worked for several and yeah they're just offices full of people with an abundance of toys and poo poo on their desks more often than your average office building.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON
All the polite guest/host talk makes me think of two specific GCCX situations....

Arino going to Inoue's place, ringing the doorbell like 7 times and starting to wander in with his shoes on, then poking through Inoue's stuff.

Cameraman Abe shoving his way in to Nakayama's, chugging beer, and cooking food in the middle of the night.

Granted, both of them had reasons they could get away with it, but if anything it heightens the absurdity.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Bo Steed posted:

Granted, both of them had reasons they could get away with it, but if anything it heightens the absurdity.

It's part of the comedy routine. Personally I find it hilarious and also interesting that the staff has become so accustomed to Arino-style comedy while on the show. GAYcenter CX with Tanii, Toujima and surprise guest star Suda-chan comes to mind.

Opal
May 10, 2005

victrix posted:

DICE's office is great. :shobon: Rather than gaming dens and console rooms they have ping pong and pool tables and a massive porch on the top level where they do barbecues for lunch in the summer.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

jyrque posted:

It's part of the comedy routine. Personally I find it hilarious and also interesting that the staff has become so accustomed to Arino-style comedy while on the show. GAYcenter CX with Tanii, Toujima and surprise guest star Suda-chan comes to mind.

Yeah, it's definitely given me a skewed perception of Japan, mainly that their social roles are not terrifying. :v: I've known for years that Japan is super formal, but reading about the strict formality for guests and office workers still blew my mind. Christ, I have a hard enough time adhering to Western social rules.

Note to self: do not live in Japan ever for any reason.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010
Alright, played through Gun-Dec, and it's pretty rough! There are a couple spots that approach "Ninja Gaiden level 6-2" heights of frustration, but I'm confident Arino will emerge victorious.

There should certainly be a visit or two from the ADs, and some whiteboard coaching for the boss patterns, but this is a game he'll be able to beat on sheer force of will. It's his greatest strength!

I probably should have played the NA version, but I wasn't sure if the ports had differences and I wanted to play the one that Arino was going to play, thus, I don't know how cheesy the plot of the game was. Hopefully Arino can have some fun with the dialog: the cutscenes seemed kind of ridiculous at times. (Ok, all the time.)

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Random Stranger posted:

Hey, Amazon now has an entry for Game Center CX's DVD release.

Unfortunately it looks like it's something was entered by one of their resellers rather than Amazon themselves and there are no preorders available yet.

This is now available for preorder. $41.97

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

Drop in a token, look at a duck

Box of Bunnies posted:

Thanks for pointing this out! I'm picking up both this set and the Japanese DVDs coming out a few weeks earlier. My wallet is ruing the day I ever discovered this show.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Box of Bunnies posted:

Score, got it ordered. Now to wait it out... :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

Grrr, jumps to $60 after taxes+shipping to Canada. Hopefully Amazon.ca or someone else picks this up soon.