Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Yeah, for as much hype that this issue was getting for how bloody it was going to be, I feel completely underwhelmed and they telegraphed the poo poo out of who was going to get it. Only a "I'm two days away from retirement" would have been any more obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Glenn, no! You were always my favorite. May the retribution for your death be unimaginably barbarous.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I think this might be what pushes Rick into being the Alexander the Great of post-apocalypse North America.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I personally thought the end of the prison arc (in which half the cast got killed) was way more brutal than this. That being said, the inevitable war between Negan and Rick is going to be rad. I wonder if they'll start rallying other communities to fight back against him.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Negan's dialogue is basically Kirkman's writing process.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

moths posted:

Negan's dialogue is basically Kirkman's writing process.

That's pretty much what I was thinking too.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

cptInsane0 posted:

That's pretty much what I was thinking too.

You guys aren't alone.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
you know what the walking dead is starting to remind me of? Dragonball Z. DBZ is basically the same story, but with slight variations and more importantly, power creep. At first, our hero has to fight a tough bad guy but after he fights him, he has to defeat an even stronger bad guy and so on until he's fighting world-shattering cosmic powers.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

clockworkjoe posted:

you know what invincible is starting to remind me of? Dragonball Z. DBZ is basically the same story, but with slight variations and more importantly, power creep. At first, our hero has to fight a tough bad guy but after he fights him, he has to defeat an even stronger bad guy and so on until he's fighting world-shattering cosmic powers.

And yeah, I definitely saw Kirkman's writing process in Negan.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I think this might be what pushes Rick into being the Alexander the Great of post-apocalypse North America.

I'm rooting for Maggie to assume the throne. Rick is old and haggard and deserves a retirement with his psychopathic son. Maggie needs to destroy Negan utterly, using her brutal victory over the Saviors to springboard a full scale campaign of conquest. Michonne will be her bloody left hand.

The king is dead. Long live the queen.

OneWhiteWhisker
Sep 24, 2004

Like a mix between Charles Schultz and David Lynch
Personally I think the characters and story deserve better. A better twist, a better villain, and less splatter for the sake of it.

I would have liked to see was instead of Glenn getting killed, Negan picks Maggie. Then Sophia flips out, tries to run away or maybe attacks him and gets herself killed too. What's the purpose of this? Glenn has always been, well, not just likable but almost upbeat. Why not make his "retirement" one of immediate, profound loss and despair? Why not turn him into a guy so consumed with black, fathomless anger he turns bloodthirsty, starts killing indiscriminately trying to fill that void. He gets reckless, puts the group in danger too many times to ignore, and Rick decides it's time to put him down ala Shane. But Rick couldn't do it then and he still can't do it now, so that's when Carl steps up, puts the bullet in Glenn and effectively Hamlets his dad. How often to you see something like that happen when the "king" is the hero? The one everyone looks up to? Never. You don't depose hero kings unless you're a despot.

The world of the Walking Dead needs a leader who can make the hard decisions, even if that leader is a kid with one eye and the dispassion to dispatch a close friend and random walker with equal consideration.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I got the vibe a couple issues ago that Neegan was some kind of cult leader, from the way his lackeys were talking about him. So this was pleasantly surprising. I'm not sure what Rick can do unless he's got some high explosives stashed somewhere.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

clockworkjoe posted:

you know what the walking dead is starting to remind me of? Dragonball Z. DBZ is basically the same story, but with slight variations and more importantly, power creep. At first, our hero has to fight a tough bad guy but after he fights him, he has to defeat an even stronger bad guy and so on until he's fighting world-shattering cosmic powers.

I can't believe I never made this observation myself. It's dead on!

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008
I hated Neegans dialogue...and Kirkman's for that matter... He just wouldn't shut the hell up... Sometimes I feel like Kirkman is the worst writer on the planet with the best comic franchise on the planet. Does he read the dialogue out loud? Dialogue like "I'm badass man, you know why I'm badass, because I am man. I'm loving badass. And I'll kill you if you try to stop me because I'm badass, man. You pissed me off, and I'm a badass so don't even try to stop me, because you know I'm totally capable of stopping you from stopping me, so don't try. If you try, I'll kill you. This is not even up for debate so let's not even talk about it." <----Not real Walking Dead dialogue but it's not far off. All of Kirkman's characters over explain themselves or talk too much without saying anything important. I don't remember it always being this way.

Brain Aged
Feb 10, 2005

Bridle all this indiscretion, Long enough to edify. And permanently fill this hollow
I think at this point I would almost rather they abandon the current characters completely and maybe pick up somewhere else in the world with a new cast.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
God, this got way too much hype and did not deliver at all. I mean, Glen's death was brutal, but that's all I can really say about this issue. Yet again I sit here thinking, "I paid for this?" At least something happened.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Maybe Rick's group will split now into different factions. Some blaming Rick for what happened, some staying with Rick no matter what, and some hating Rick because if he had just played along to being with, none of this would have happened.

Also Carl is funnier when you read his lines in Bobby Hill's voice.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I really didn't like the issue as well Glen was awesome it sucks he's completely dead now its just a bullshit move it would have had more impact if it was maggie

At this point the story has just dragged on forever it's just really not interesting anymore to see Rick be a dumbass every single issue.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Brain Aged posted:

I think at this point I would almost rather they abandon the current characters completely and maybe pick up somewhere else in the world with a new cast.

I agree entirely with this. Pretty much the best thing they could do is show a different group, and maybe loosely tie it to the first one. Then they find the burnt out remains of Hilltop and we never find out what exactly happened to Rick but we already stopped caring about him thirty issues ago.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

clockworkjoe posted:

It's not just Dragon Ball; the entire genre of shonen manga is set up like this (Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto, One Piece) with only a few rare things like JoJo's breaking up the monotony (and there is still power creep in that; just only with the "final" villains of any arc).

Which is pretty much my problem with Walking Dead. It's presented as seinen (Berserk, Vagabond), but ends up being the more juvenile, repetitive shonen - and there's really no reason for it to be this way at all.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
I wonder if its because I've gone through issues 19 to 100 in the past two weeks, but 100 hit me much differently than some of you folks who disliked it. I can see how an issue a month for almost 9 years could end up to be annoying at times, and that there more mundane "filler issues".

For the most part, the only characters that I really liked as people were Glenn, Andrea, Michonne, and Abraham, and seeing Glenn die the way that he did was like a punch to the gut. I think that Maggie dying would have more impact on Glenn the character, but Glenn dying has much more impact on the reader, at least short term. On the overall story, im not sure.

Maybe i'll be less invested now that i'll be buying week to week instead of burning through trades.

toa5t
Apr 12, 2004

Of course I am.

Skeematic posted:

I wonder if its because I've gone through issues 19 to 100 in the past two weeks, but 100 hit me much differently than some of you folks who disliked it. I can see how an issue a month for almost 9 years could end up to be annoying at times, and that there more mundane "filler issues".

For the most part, the only characters that I really liked as people were Glenn, Andrea, Michonne, and Abraham, and seeing Glenn die the way that he did was like a punch to the gut. I think that Maggie dying would have more impact on Glenn the character, but Glenn dying has much more impact on the reader, at least short term. On the overall story, im not sure.

Maybe i'll be less invested now that i'll be buying week to week instead of burning through trades.

I completely agree with you on this. However I have been reading the month by month method and still enjoyed the issue. What they did to Glenn affected me more I feel then if it happened to any of the other characers. But really I think that is why it was him, because he was so likable. I think the aim is to get the reader wanting to see the payback and keep picking up issues.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Calling it now getting revenge for Glenn is what is going to finally get Rick killed. The only way he could be more pissed off is if Carl was the one that got smashed. Maybe Michonne, but Glenn was so innocent and good, Rick is going to be wreckless in loving this guy up and I think it's going to lead to his death as well.]

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

here's my theory: Rick figures out a way to kill Negan and his group with a war crimes plan i.e. kiting a horde of walkers into his base or setting the entire city on fire or he finds a leftover weapon of mass destruction. I mean, this is near DC right? There has to be leftover ordnance that no one bothered to use during the apocalypse. Who would use a cruise missile or nerve gas on zombie infected suburbs?

Kabz
Jul 29, 2004

I enjoyed #100.

I don't get people's rants. Different characters have different personalities. Just cause Negan sounds like a mega-douche/cliché villain sometimes, doesn't mean that that same guy wouldn't speak that way if this were a real scenario.
You guys want some elegant prose, poetic dialogue?
In a zombie loving apocalypse -- sometimes that doesn't happen. People act like shitheads, and people start talking in ways that almost seem silly.

Maybe I'm just able to suspend reality for a moment and realize I'm reading a comic book. I'm excited to see where they go from here.
When the Governor was introduced -- I almost knew from the beginning that this guy would have to be taken down. He was the group's biggest threat up to that point, and they already had setup and fortified the prison -- I knew that they wouldn't let Michonne die off so soon as she continues to be the biggest badass in the group. Now with Negan, things are way different because instead of being in a community with a bunch of idiots, people who don't know how to use weapons, and a bunch of families who wouldn't be able to fight -- we have a group of thugs (WITHOUT guns, but ready to fight) -- and they have already made their mark in front of the entire group (versus raping and torturing Michonne behind closed doors)
I see it as a dictatorship versus a gang.

Maybe I'm not as critical, but I'm excited for this "next chapter."

Kabz fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 13, 2012

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been
I thought 100 was awesome too, but its really loving with me now and I've read it so many times that I feel a little depressed. I think its one of the best issues of the comic. Everybody is way to critical of TWD series.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

goodfuldead posted:

I thought 100 was awesome too, but its really loving with me now and I've read it so many times that I feel a little depressed. I think its one of the best issues of the comic. Everybody is way to critical of TWD series.

Yeah, looking back over the past couple pages people are crazy harsh on Kirkman. I read through the end of the prison saga back when it wrapped up, then I just binged and read everything to catch up for 100 and I'm pretty happy with it, I'm excited to see where the series will go because nothing I predict ever happens.

CatfishClyde
Jul 22, 2001
Orange Rhyming Dictionary

clockworkjoe posted:

here's my theory: Rick figures out a way to kill Negan and his group with a war crimes plan i.e. kiting a horde of walkers into his base or setting the entire city on fire or he finds a leftover weapon of mass destruction. I mean, this is near DC right? There has to be leftover ordnance that no one bothered to use during the apocalypse. Who would use a cruise missile or nerve gas on zombie infected suburbs?

I don't think it works that way. Most of the U.S. nuclear arsenal is located far away from D.C.; after all, that was the most for-sure target of a nuclear attack. There's a reason most of the missile silos are located in places like Wyoming, Nebraska, and Montana.

Maybe if he found a functioning Nuclear sub, it's a possibility, but still incredibly remote. It's not like you can just "arm" a nuclear missile. The guidance system would be way too complex for a small town sheriff. Also, there are launch codes that need to be entered, keys to turn, etc.

I suppose chemical or bio weapons are a possibility, but still, so remote. If they went this direction it'd be the ultimate "jump the shark moment" for me. I understand it's a series about the dead walking the earth, but my suspension of disbelief does have some limits.

I'm going to guess Rick somehow takes Negan down a peg, earns the respect of his followers, and usurps him as The Ultimate Badass.

I understand someone had to die, and it couldn't be just "random black guy" or Carl. If Kirkman had killed off Maggie he'd be setting a lovely precedent wherein he appears as a misogynist who can't wait to kill off pregnant women or recent mothers for the sake of the story. And Michonne is too much of a survivor, and too badass, to have died in the way Glen did. But still, why'd it have to be Glen? He should have saved Abraham for this situation, and killed him here. His death would have had more impact at this point than it did when he randomly received an arrow through the eye mid-monologue. They could have killed off a red-shirt to herald the arrival of Negan as the new nemesis of the group instead.

I really wish Kirkman would take a break from these characters, shoot over to a different part of the world, and then come back to Rick and co. at another point, sometime in the future, if at all. I'm not tired of the series, I think the world he's created is very interesting, and I enjoy the way he's handled the breakdown of law, order, morality, and societal norms. But I think he's taken Rick as far as he can go, save for a complete turn-around of the character and his beliefs.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My favorite thing about this whole arc is that just when Rick was convinced that things were going to get better everything goes to complete poo poo. It really sums up the story and scenario quite well.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, looking back over the past couple pages people are crazy harsh on Kirkman.

100 was a great issue, but it was a terrible Issue 100. Especially since the narrative had been dragging it's feet with barely-there filler to build up to it, and all the promotion that had gone into it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I trade wait the series, and I get the feeling it reads much better like that, rather than reading it monthly.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Kllling off Glen reeks of lazy writing and the whole ANYONE CAN DIE SEE! I KILLED A POPULAR CHARACTER FROM THE TV SHOW!

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Kllling off Glen reeks of lazy writing and the whole ANYONE CAN DIE SEE! I KILLED A POPULAR CHARACTER FROM THE TV SHOW!

Abraham's death had a bigger impact on me. The suddenness of it probably helped.

Kabz
Jul 29, 2004

Darth Ronson posted:

Abraham's death had a bigger impact on me. The suddenness of it probably helped.

Same, I was just starting to really like him as a character too. But killing Glenn is hardly lazy writing, especially since he has been in over 90 issues. If anything, Glenn dying is more of a CHALLENGE that shakes up the story and forces the writer to utilize other characters or new characters in a fresh way.

Bottom Liner posted:

My favorite thing about this whole arc is that just when Rick was convinced that things were going to get better everything goes to complete poo poo. It really sums up the story and scenario quite well.

Exactly, and it reinforces the ongoing theme. That being:

In a world overrun by zombies, sometimes the most dangerous creatures are your fellow human beings trying to survive this madness with you.

Zombies can't deceive, lie, steal....they can only attack and eat. Humans are the ones loving things up constantly.

Kabz fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 15, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kabz posted:

In a world overrun by zombies, sometimes the most dangerous creatures are your fellow human beings trying to survive this madness with you.

Zombies can't deceive, lie, steal....they can only attack and eat. Humans are the ones loving things up constantly.

My problem at this point is that... well, I get it. I got it back with the governor. I don't feel like there has been any meaningful thematic growth or development since around that time. Anyone who doesn't get the idea after "WE are the Walking Dead" probably isn't going to get it anytime soon. It just feels like nothing is happening different and nothing ever will. Which is fine, I guess, but not really interesting to read.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The event in 100 really hit me hard.

I think because it's so graphic. It's not an easy death by any means, no "shoot the guy in between sentences to prove a point" kind of deal. Dude just gets hosed over, suffers a bit, and then gets turned to mash. But that image of him with the caved-in head and the popped out eye? Hit me harder than the kid getting part of his face blasted off.

I'm wondering if Kirkman has the chops to do an arc where Negan really IS the guy in charge, where Rick has to be a subordinate with no control.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

My problem at this point is that... well, I get it. I got it back with the governor. I don't feel like there has been any meaningful thematic growth or development since around that time. Anyone who doesn't get the idea after "WE are the Walking Dead" probably isn't going to get it anytime soon. It just feels like nothing is happening different and nothing ever will. Which is fine, I guess, but not really interesting to read.

If the series would've ending with him saying "WE ARE THE WALKING DEAD" after the Governor poo poo I would've been satisfied.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

CatfishClyde posted:

I don't think it works that way. Most of the U.S. nuclear arsenal is located far away from D.C.; after all, that was the most for-sure target of a nuclear attack. There's a reason most of the missile silos are located in places like Wyoming, Nebraska, and Montana.

Maybe if he found a functioning Nuclear sub, it's a possibility, but still incredibly remote. It's not like you can just "arm" a nuclear missile. The guidance system would be way too complex for a small town sheriff. Also, there are launch codes that need to be entered, keys to turn, etc.

I suppose chemical or bio weapons are a possibility, but still, so remote. If they went this direction it'd be the ultimate "jump the shark moment" for me. I understand it's a series about the dead walking the earth, but my suspension of disbelief does have some limits.

I wasn't thinking of a nuke so WMD is a bit misleading. I was thinking more of the drone launched missiles that seem to be so popular with counter-terrorist forces. I could see one loaded with nerve gas being somewhere in the area - governments thought about killing off the populace before they could become zombies, not knowing how the dead rose up. Anyway, I bet there's some kind of powerful weapon left unused because it useless for killing zombies that Rick could find and deploy. Also, as I said, Rick doesn't need a pre-existing weapon - he could find a way to poison or infect Negan's army - they have to give him food, right? They could also find his base and set the entire area on fire.

That's the way I see Rick responding - going farther than his foe, ready to do anything to stop any threat to him and Carl. He's going to become a monster.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Whatever happens to Neegan, I hope it involves Lucille.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

Glenn
Currently: Our young Asian guy, Glenn was shot by the cannibals, but seems to be doing okay. His role in the community is as a runner.
Chance of dying: Seems to be death proof
Chance of going crazy: Low

Not so death proof anymore.

• Locked thread