Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SiKboy posted:

A friend of mine is a big fan of tag team wrestling, and attended a Q&A session with Johnny Ace maybe 5ish years ago and he asked why the WWE tag team division was treated as a total afterthought (Poorly booked, thrown together tag teams, established teams losing to single wrestlers in handicap matches and so on), and Johnny Ace who was a dynamic dude and whose brother was in the goddamn road warriors basically goes "Tag team wrestling? Why would you want to watch that? Besides, it means we have to pay 4 air fares for one match instead of 2, that doesnt make sense!".

I remember because my mate was practically spitting blood when he recounted this as he viewed it as hypocritical and rear end backwards in his opinion (and I'm inclined to agree) tag team wrestling isnt a draw because its treated as an afterthought, rather that being treated as an afterthought because it isnt a draw. As an aside Ace had been similarly disparaging about the concept of managers (as opposed to valets) in wrestling, so my mate George was not happy all round, being a massive fan of tag team wrestling and a big mark for Jimmy Hart and Bobby Heenan.

Wow that's dumb.

WCW dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

If that was the case, why did Ace book an entirely new and separate tag division in the Cruiser tag Titles in WCW? Or was that a Bischoff call when he was preparing to buy the company?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Johnny Ace posted:

"Tag team wrestling? Why would you want to watch that?"

Johnny Ace and Dr. Death vs. Mitsuharu Misawa and Kenta Kobashi, 3/4/95
Johnny Ace and Dr. Death vs. Mitsuharu Misawa and Jun Akiyama, 6/7/96

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

SiKboy posted:

A friend of mine is a big fan of tag team wrestling, and attended a Q&A session with Johnny Ace maybe 5ish years ago and he asked why the WWE tag team division was treated as a total afterthought (Poorly booked, thrown together tag teams, established teams losing to single wrestlers in handicap matches and so on), and Johnny Ace who was a dynamic dude and whose brother was in the goddamn road warriors basically goes "Tag team wrestling? Why would you want to watch that? Besides, it means we have to pay 4 air fares for one match instead of 2, that doesnt make sense!".

I remember because my mate was practically spitting blood when he recounted this as he viewed it as hypocritical and rear end backwards in his opinion (and I'm inclined to agree) tag team wrestling isnt a draw because its treated as an afterthought, rather that being treated as an afterthought because it isnt a draw. As an aside Ace had been similarly disparaging about the concept of managers (as opposed to valets) in wrestling, so my mate George was not happy all round, being a massive fan of tag team wrestling and a big mark for Jimmy Hart and Bobby Heenan.

Holy poo poo suddenly their entire decline period of the mid 2000s to now makes perfect sense.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

SiKboy posted:

Wow, a guy who owes his entire career to being protected by tag team matches and related to one half of a really popular tag team is giving that line about tag team wrestling? And given that on the mic he's as talented as a concussed Mike Adamle he should be the last person disparaging managers.

What a loving idiot.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Akileese posted:

Holy poo poo suddenly their entire decline period of the mid 2000s to now makes perfect sense.

This and, "Chris Kreski was a storyboard nerd who tried to give everyone a storyline" with the talk that when Stephanie took over she told the writers to stop focusing on the midcard/

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

This and, "Chris Kreski was a storyboard nerd who tried to give everyone a storyline" with the talk that when Stephanie took over she told the writers to stop focusing on the midcard/

For all their talk about how they're not wrestling and how people just don't get it that they're a TV show they sure do go out of their way to avoid using every tool that TV writing has been using since the dawn of the concept of a series. Almost as if every line they ever trot out is thinly veiled "gently caress off, if Vince Doesn't want to do it or it doesn't fit into his world view as a megalomaniac, sociopathic steroid abusing millionaire hermit it's not happening."

What's really sad is that the quality of writing on Raw has remained consistently poor ever since Stephanie McMahon took over, it's just that it's becoming more apparent as more big stars leave for retirement.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Gonzo McFee posted:

Wow, a guy who owes his entire career to being protected by tag team matches and related to one half of a really popular tag team is giving that line about tag team wrestling? And given that on the mic he's as talented as a concussed Mike Adamle he should be the last person disparaging managers.

What a loving idiot.
I'm so glad Triple H and his team deposed him. Now if only Creative had someone in charge who can tell Vince and Dunn that they can barely run their own tv shows competently, let alone create an entire network. The most watchable shows are those that they're less involved in and the midcard shows off they're capable of being more entertaining in shorter backstage segments than the rambling monologues you see on Raw every week.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

That stuff about paying twice as much money for one match is Vince's line.

Johnny is a yes man more than anything else.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The bedroom arguments between HHH and Steph are going to get nuts once Vince dies and they have nobody to blame one-another's faults on.

Edit: Nobody on which to blame one-another's faults.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 12, 2012

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

LividLiquid posted:

The bedroom arguments between HHH and Steph are going to get nuts once Vince dies and they have nobody to blame one-another's faults on.

Edit: Nobody on which to blame one-another's faults.
Sure they do: Kevin Dunn. They'll do to him what they're doing to Laurenitis.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Perigryn posted:

Sure they do: Kevin Dunn. They'll do to him what they're doing to Laurenitis.
Dunn is gone when Vince is.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Dunn is gone when Vince is.
As much as all of us want him gone immediately, it probably won't be that easy. He'll just gradually have his influence removed as he has to train his successor and be made out to be the scapegoat for all the company's problems.

IIRC, he did think that Katie Vick was a great idea...and Triple H will probably want to take his time and enjoy getting revenge for that whole mess.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
What happens when Triple H and Steph get divorced? Does Trips get Smackdown?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

What happens when Triple H and Steph get divorced? Does Trips get Smackdown?
And probably NXT (including developmental, since he's heavily involved in it). Unless his lawyers manage to prove neglect on the part of Stephanie and Creative so then he'd get Raw too...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

once Vince dies

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Vince was on Legends of the Hidden Temple?

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Perigryn posted:

I'm so glad Triple H and his team deposed him. Now if only Creative had someone in charge who can tell Vince and Dunn that they can barely run their own tv shows competently, let alone create an entire network. The most watchable shows are those that they're less involved in and the midcard shows off they're capable of being more entertaining in shorter backstage segments than the rambling monologues you see on Raw every week.

I don't know what actual influence Kevin Dunn has over creative (seems like everything bad gets blamed on him but I don't know if that blame is correctly placed) but saying he can't run a TV show is pretty silly because he's like the director or whatever and RAW and Smackdown usually run real smooth, especially considering they run every week with no hiatuses and RAW is live for 1000 EPISODES WOW!

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Hirams Bitch posted:

I don't know what actual influence Kevin Dunn has over creative (seems like everything bad gets blamed on him but I don't know if that blame is correctly placed) but saying he can't run a TV show is pretty silly because he's like the director or whatever and RAW and Smackdown usually run real smooth, especially considering they run every week with no hiatuses and RAW is live for 1000 EPISODES WOW!
-Sheamus winning King of the Ring and then going on a losing streak afterwords was attributed to Dunn not liking him
-No JR ('too southern')
-Mid PPV concerts
-Less wrestling
-Diva Search
-Tough Enough
-Katie Vick

Paul Bearer said he's the only person he actually hates in all the time he's been in the business.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I can't get too worked up over Dunn, cause at the end of the day Vince McMahon goes along with all of it. I figure Dunn just tells Vince what he wants to hear, he knows Vince's tastes by now.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

triplexpac posted:

I can't get too worked up over Dunn, cause at the end of the day Vince McMahon goes along with all of it. I figure Dunn just tells Vince what he wants to hear, he knows Vince's tastes by now.
Grima WormDunn.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Vince McMahon will never die. Not in our lifetimes.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Perigryn posted:

-Sheamus winning King of the Ring and then going on a losing streak afterwords was attributed to Dunn not liking him
-No JR ('too southern')
-Mid PPV concerts
-Less wrestling
-Diva Search
-Tough Enough
-Katie Vick

Paul Bearer said he's the only person he actually hates in all the time he's been in the business.

katie vick was actually mostly steph mcmahon

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Isn't Kevin Dunn the guy behind all of the rad WWE video packages?

He's still a gopher-toothed gently caress, though.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

BAN DICKEYE posted:

It distracted Vince from his idea of a storyline about shagging her though, so really it was the lesser of two evils.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Perigryn posted:

Specifically this is because Vince told Bearer he wanted him to learn the production side of the business, because he felt PB had the potential to be really good at it. He told Dunn to work with PB, and (according to PB, so take it with whatever grains of salt you may require) Dunn immediately got paranoid about his job and proceeded to sabotage PB at every opportunity until PB finally got tired of it and quit.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

BAN DICKEYE posted:

That makes it even worse then. Dunn did defend the angle in a statement though ("While the subject matter is sensitive, on balance this was an attempt at dark humor capitalizing on the popularity of programs such as CSI, Six Feet Under and X-Files").

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Ohhh they were going for an X-Files vibe, NOW it all makes sense.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

Ohhh they were going for an X-Files vibe, NOW it all makes sense.

The dark humour in X-Files was that two attractive detectives who constantly work together continue to let the opportunity of banging run right by them. To the point where the story ends and Mulder turns into a novelist sex addict.

I'm pretty sure "Kane" got it with "Katie Vick" at the first opportunity, which was in a church.

WWE stupid.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Lone Rogue posted:

The dark humour in X-Files was that two attractive detectives who constantly work together continue to let the opportunity of banging run right by them. To the point where the story ends and Mulder turns into a novelist sex addict.

Are you trying to tell me that Red Shoe Diaries is canon with X-Files?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Der-Wreck posted:

Are you trying to tell me that Red Shoe Diaries is canon with X-Files?

Dont you mean Californication?

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

bobkatt013 posted:

Dont you mean Californication?

No, I meant Red Shoe Diaries.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ktik posted:

Watching 1996 Nitros, right around when the NWO started, WCW had a tag team division of:

Steiners
Harlem Heat
Road Warriors
Rock and Roll Express
Public Enemy
Nasty Boys
Horsemen (Benoit/Anderson at this time)
Faces of Fear
Other random Kevin Sullivan tag teams from the dungeon of doom.
And after all of this, the Outsiders.

Not all of them were amazing to watch, but at least they could throw out different matches every single week.

The crazy thing is, that wasn't even the entire division. I think Sting and Lex Luger were competing regularly in the division and in the title picture well before the Outsiders showed up. The Blue Bloods, American Males, and Fire & Ice were kicking around. I think the Quebecers had come in by that time as The Amazing French Canadians. The Power Plant grads High Voltage. It was just tag team after tag team. WCW even had jobber tag teams like The Border Patrol and Men At Work. Mid-90s WCW was tag team crazy and it was wonderful.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 12, 2012

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

STAC Goat posted:

The crazy thing is, that wasn't even the entire division. I think Sting and Lex Luger were competing regularly in the division and in the title picture well before the Outsiders showed up. The Blue Bloods, American Males, and Fire & Ice were kicking around. I think the Quebecers had come in by that time as The Amazing French Canadians. The Power Plant grads High Voltage. It was just tag team after tag team. WCW even had jobber tag teams like The Border Patrol and Men At Work. Mid-90s WCW was tag team crazy and it was wonderful.

They had because in the TNR emulator I ran in my calculus class my team was called the Amazing French Homosexuals.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Der-Wreck posted:

No, I meant Red Shoe Diaries.

In Californication David Duchovney plays a novelist sex addict.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

bobkatt013 posted:

In Californication David Duchovney plays a novelist sex addict.

Yes, but he became a sex addict after years of hanging out on train tracks and reading erotic letters with his dog.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Perry Normal posted:

Yes, but he became a sex addict after years of hanging out on train tracks and reading erotic letters with his dog.

No it was due to dressing up as a women and hanging out in twin peaks

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

As bad as WCW was, it was always interesting to watch. I loved it when they'd have a match, like Hacksaw vs. Regal, and then after Hacksaw wins, he'd wobble around the ring as Mean Gene runs down to he can cut a promo. They'd do smart stuff like that, combining a match/promo in one segment, and then immediately afterwards, have Sting come out to his music and cut a promo against the Steiners, have him go out back, then have the Steiners come out to their music, and then have Sting/Lugar come back out. Why couldn't Sting just wait in the ring?!!? They just did something smart five minutes earlier, and then did something so stupid. Love the madness.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That reminds me, I kind of miss the way Mean Gene used to interview WCW players at the top of the ramp. Its such a lost thing now as the big center of the ring promos completely took over. They were quick, got to the point, and got a lot of guys and stories screen time. Even if Gene just talked to a guy for 30 seconds before or after a match for some generic stuff at least it helped you get to know the guy as a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

STAC Goat posted:

That reminds me, I kind of miss the way Mean Gene used to interview WCW players at the top of the ramp. Its such a lost thing now as the big center of the ring promos completely took over. They were quick, got to the point, and got a lot of guys and stories screen time. Even if Gene just talked to a guy for 30 seconds before or after a match for some generic stuff at least it helped you get to know the guy as a character.

They've started doing this occasionally on NXT. I hope they keep it up!