Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Collateral Damage posted:

Didn't that one show up in the pictures and videos thread a while ago?

e: It was the scooter thread, and it's not the same. Similar though.

e2: $7500? :stare:

Stretched Ruckuses with GY6 swaps are very common. And awesome.

But $7,500 seems laffo expensive to me. The parts are not that expensive and mostly off-the-shelf, so he can't even really claim labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.
I took the RidersEdge MSF class recently and had a good time, my question is what other bikes other than the buell blast have short seat height (I'm not tall), a standard seating position, and are pretty good rides?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kawasaki Ninja 250, Honda CBR250R or Rebel 250, Suzuki TU250 or Boulevard S40, for starters. What's your inseam and what style of bike do you like?

Check out https://www.cycle-ergo.com -- that will probably help you a lot. Just remember that it doesn't simulate the suspension sag, so if there's a bike on there that it says is just a liiittle bit too tall for you, you can probably handle it once it's weighted.

e: for instance, this is how it says I should fit on my CL350

but in reality I can flatfoot it just fine because the suspension sags an inch, the seat compresses a bit, and my boots have another 3/4" or so of sole.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 25, 2012

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Who wants a $500 "Cool shelf conversation piece"

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...QAdIdZ375443242

quote:

Turbo has a broken impeller. Was off a drag/show bike.
Makes for a cool shelf conversation piece or rebuilder.
Very fancy engraving and gold plating.
Unknown model of turbo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Except if you buy it the conversation would just be "I paid $500 for this and put it on the shelf there."

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
As dumb as it seems, I wish I had $600 to spend. Chain-drive monoshock viragos don't come up often.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/3088710657.html

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Looks seca-ish.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I just found the first motorcycle I've ever owned is for sale. My old 1980 GS400!

http://classifieds.castanet.net/details/1980_suzuki_gs_400/1366825/

I emailed them and this is what they said:

quote:

yep same bike. Cara bought it from you. She graduated to a suzuki 800 last year. She doesn't really want to sell it, she's very attached, but it hasn't been ridden for a year and a half.

Haha. I feel like buying it back to teach my dad how to ride. Picture of the old thing here:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

Looks seca-ish.

That's usually the easiest way to tell a chain-drive virago(TR1 in Europe) from a shaft-drive; they come stock with the seca tank, as opposed to the typical early-80s virago tank.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 28, 2012

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Slim Pickens posted:

That's usually the easiest way to tell a chain-drive virago(TR1 in Europe) from a shaft-drive; they come stock with the seca tank, as opposed to the typical early-80s virago tank.

Tell me you snagged that thing. Somebody did. Super rare variant, at least in the states.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Broke as hell, and I'm sure it went pretty quickly. :(

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Either of these worth looking at?

'96 Vulcan 500 with 6700 miles for $1200

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/3110547215.html

'82 Kawasaki of some sort for $700

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/3110682533.html

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/3116938623.html

quote:

THIS THING IS REGISTERED....price adjusted tonow 1800 not 2000 for quick sale.....Brand new registration done today good till december.. i took care of the back fees..This is a awsome thumper 610 cc's makes it fast .. it's a wheelie popper if you know how to work the throttle. and if you dont then dont try cause it lifts in first easy if you jam the throttle...

I am looking for 2400 or so 2450 cash I will alow test rides with cash in hand from only serious buyers.. you break it you bought it... if you want street wheels put on it.. my friend does it for 50 bucks at his shop...give me a call 415 497 0 eight 11 can show any day any time in the next week or so

will also trade for a street bike/ full motard or a ski boat / jet ski with cash.... also maby A food trailer or hot dog cart.. maby a truck 4x4 or 2x4 v6 or smaller... send pics of what you got ..

Will trade for different Car street bike or motard or TRuck ....Hi i have a left side kick start 4 stroke 610 street legal not current with reg has back fee of 250 300 and needs rubbed through the dmv = I have the pink but is already filled out to a different owner who was going to get it registered but never went through with it... and then ended up selling it to some one else as it is now I can write the guy a letter and see if he can fill out a dmv form and I can get it registered in my name and if the letter is returned with now reply unopened I can reg the bike in my name then too >> I can handle this for you if the price is right. I am going to start the process now anyway incase I keep the bike.. which is highly likely with out a good buyer.. I am willing to work with you on the price because of this and the bike has a lot of good parts that can come with the bike if the price is right.. it would make a great super moto or trail bike also it has some cool plastics and looks good.. it's fun to ride and sit's high of the ground I am 5 10 and I can ride it just fine... it's has dual exhaust and is a water cooled 610 cc wheelie monster.. give me a call if this bike interests you or txt first preferably during the work week. so I can call after work or at lunch..

EXTRA"S"

has freeway / highway legal tires
1998 frame
1998 subframe
1998 I believe stock forks but they are non reversed so I think they are 1993's
1998 swing arm
almost a whole bike minus the engine n gear box... there is a guy selling a good running 610 engine for 600 bucks " the guy I bought the bike
a stock tank and some of the original plastics for the air box and wind directors for the radiators....
all these parts and the bike for 2450 OBO 415 49 seven zero 811 names Max...

Bads

and lost the right rear side fairing in west marin somewhere...
needs crush washer so dripps a little oil..
crush washer is the washer that seals the oil drain plug.
honestly that is it it's a ripper of a bike and to much fun to ride
I just put 635 $ cash in to the back reg so I could keep it but am looking to re coop that in a sale unless a great vehicle is looking to get traded.. so I am really only open to a good / great trade..

415 497 08 one one Names Max

I am astonished at the amount of detail juxtaposed with a total lack of spelling, grammar, or structure. This individual is thoughtful enough to point out that it has a left-side kickstarter, a box with "wind directors" and other parts, and yet writes things like "names max" or "bads." It's bewildering and adorable.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Dutymode posted:

Those vulcans are cool. Same motor as the Ninja 500. Peppy.

InterwebzRN
Jan 29, 2009

Dutymode posted:

'82 Kawasaki of some sort for $700

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/3110682533.html

Quick off topic question, I moving to KC here in a month and looking to buy a sport bike, how do you deal with riding in the blistering hot, now its raining and cold, now it's snowing, bipolar weather of Kansas? Is it inadvisable to have a bike as my only method of transportation?

On topic, http://ksu.craigslist.org/mcy/3121119329.html

quote:

Looking to sell my 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250r special edition for $3950/obo. It's a great beginner's bike that still looks good and is plenty fast, being able to reach 95mph to 100mph. It was never dropped or dumped, so it has a clean title. There are 3300 miles on it, but it'll have more since I ride it to work most days. I've also installed a Dan Moto JISU slip on exhaust ($150), which makes it sound much more aggressive than what it does stock (I still have the stock exhaust), and I installed a green LED 8 piece kit ($80) Took it in to be serviced around 900 miles to make sure everything was running okay. I've cleaned and lubed the chain almost every 400 miles and have changed the oil twice now (once at 600mi and again at 2600mi, always used Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w-40 motorcycle oil). I have never put anything but premium fuel in it and never drove it out of Manhattan for the first 1400 miles to help break in the engine (except to take it to junction city to be serviced at 900mi). This is a great deal for what it is. A new one will run for about $4400, but most dealers will also charge freight costs and prep fees which can add another $400-$600, so you end up paying well over $5,000 for it.

Kinda douchey with the neon kit but, otherwise, this looks like it could be a good beginner's bike.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

InterwebzRN posted:

Quick off topic question, I moving to KC here in a month and looking to buy a sport bike, how do you deal with riding in the blistering hot, now its raining and cold, now it's snowing, bipolar weather of Kansas? Is it inadvisable to have a bike as my only method of transportation?

I wish I could go with a bike as my only ride, but I don't see how it would work unless you like riding on ice.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Good deal on a late-model TW200: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/3129561817.html

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/3134720117.html

BMW 2005, R1200GS - $4500 (san rafael)

dual sport bike, strong motor, well maintained, Jessie side cases, driving lights, other extras, 92,800 miles. Dave, San Rafael

I kind of want one :( but I have absolutely no room, someone go get this!

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006
Could it be... a properly done cafe job? The price is decent enough it's almost tempting:

http://guelph.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-street-cruisers-choppers-1973-Honda-CB500-cafe-racer-W0QQAdIdZ395356628

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

HOLY gently caress. That has got to be the first "no I didn't just buy a piece of poo poo and slap a bunch of cafe parts on it" bikes I've ever seen for sale under $6000.

and it's BEAUTIFUL :allears:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

HOLY gently caress. That has got to be the first "no I didn't just buy a piece of poo poo and slap a bunch of cafe parts on it" bikes I've ever seen for sale under $6000.

and it's BEAUTIFUL :allears:

Are you serious? Because right out of the gate I see $5 chinese headlight ears, ebay reservoir shocks, some sort of universal tail light, and $GENERIC_CAFE_SEAT.

The rearsets are nice though

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Maybe, but you see it's a Honda and

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Are you serious? Because right out of the gate I see $5 chinese headlight ears, ebay reservoir shocks, some sort of universal tail light, and $GENERIC_CAFE_SEAT.

I have so much to learn.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Oh goddamnit. I honestly didn't look beyond the first shadowy picture.
gently caress and there's no front fender...

All in all I'd say the cheap-parts are forgivable though considering the price. They're easily replaceable at least.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
:qq:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/3136160821.html

"Suzuki GS500 2002 runs but has issues. I am selling my motorcycle as is. It runs and just got a new battery. The problem is the only way I can get it to start is to pop start it. Something happened a few weeks ago and I heard a weird sound and my bike stalled out. After that the only way I could start it was to pop the clutch. I haven't ridden it since then and I just want to get it sold because I don't have the time/money to do anything with it. If you are a mechanic or just know a lot about motorcycles this could be a good way to get a bike for cheap and fix it up. It might be something fairly easy to fix, but like I said I can't deal with it at this point."

Ignition problem? I wish I had the cash, I bet the fix isn't expensive.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"You have to bump-start it" sounds like a starter problem, but "it made a funny noise and stalled out on me" sounds like an ignition or engine problem. You should be certain of which one it is before you buy. If it runs fine after bump-starting, though, hey -- at worst you'll probably have to replace the starter motor, which would be what, 20 bucks at a junkyard? Maybe not even that.

This is why all bikes should still come with kick starters :colbert:

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts
Sounds familiar to something I read on the GS500 forum recently.

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=60960.0

Don't know if it's the same issue, and might not be worth the :10bux: to find out.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If the valves have never been done, I'd bet it won't idle because of that to start with. Those bikes are notorious for burning valves and running lovely at idle as a result. And "bang and engine stopped" is never a good thing.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
For anyone who may be wondering what happened to the $1500 R80ST I had my eye on, it mysteriously wound up one town over, got slathered in Armor All, and is up for sale at a significantly higher price. Or two of the 980 built wound up right next to each other. It could happen...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&item=180930786004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
The motorcycling gods have spoken, Marv. Get the Harley fixed and get back on two wheels for god's sake!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This thing's pretty drat cool. Vintage racing is the best.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/3119899601.html

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ive seen that, and a few bikes like it at track days. Super cool.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
I have a potential good deal on my hands, but I'm ignorant about these things as yet and this seems the place to ask about it.

A friend is selling his 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 500cc, with a crack in the front fairing, older tires, and he says it's been running a bit funny and/or might need a tune up due to sitting in a driveway (under cover) for about 2-3 months. I'm going to take a look at it later this week, and he's asking 1500$ for it. Good deal? Money pit waiting to happen? Average?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

DJ_Ferret posted:

I have a potential good deal on my hands, but I'm ignorant about these things as yet and this seems the place to ask about it.

A friend is selling his 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 500cc, with a crack in the front fairing, older tires, and he says it's been running a bit funny and/or might need a tune up due to sitting in a driveway (under cover) for about 2-3 months. I'm going to take a look at it later this week, and he's asking 1500$ for it. Good deal? Money pit waiting to happen? Average?

Average, depending on your area. It's going to need 350-400 in new tires, likely a complete brake fluid flush, and a carbs cleaning, plus an oil change and maybe chain and sprockets. That'll put you at roughly $700-800 over purchase price before you can go riding. If that's still cheaper than a ninja 500 in your area, it might be worth it. If it's not at least $500 cheaper though, I'd pass.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Pretty clean SV on my local CL:
http://wenatchee.craigslist.org/mcy/3146274578.html

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner

Z3n posted:

Average, depending on your area. It's going to need 350-400 in new tires, likely a complete brake fluid flush, and a carbs cleaning, plus an oil change and maybe chain and sprockets. That'll put you at roughly $700-800 over purchase price before you can go riding. If that's still cheaper than a ninja 500 in your area, it might be worth it. If it's not at least $500 cheaper though, I'd pass.

I'll see if he'll go down to 1000, the KBB value on an '04 500r in my area is 1700$ for an "excellent condition" bike. I'll talk him down to 1100-1200 based on actual condition. I have a gear-head friend who owes me some money, so I can get the maintenance pretty cheap. Thanks for the advice!

Edit: Also after some looking apparently Seattle area folks think they can charge 2400$ for an '03 500r. Maybe I'll just take the deal.

DJ_Ferret fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 18, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

DJ_Ferret posted:

Edit: Also after some looking apparently Seattle area folks think they can charge 2400$ for an '03 500r. Maybe I'll just take the deal.

Based on some shopping over the past few years, I figure the best time to buy a bike in Seattle is November/December before Christmas and during rainy spring when people are thinking about upgrading and want that down payment cash from their old ride. Summer premium is definitely a thing here.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 18, 2012

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
Since I've gotten some good responses here, where would y'all suggest I post pictures of a bike and its tire wear/damage to get opinions/advice? I went by my friends place and snapped photos of the tires, the odometer, and the physical damage he mentioned. And I sat on the bike, turns out my 6'6" rear end fits on it just fine, maybe a little close with the knees but I don't mind.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

HOLY KEYWORDS BATMAN!

I've seen this thing irl and yes it's as bad as it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Actually, that was way less stupid than what I was picturing. Is gaudy and awful, but it sort of loops back around to 'you did WHAT?.. thats just so loving... gah... ok, well, enough looking at it lets give it a go'.

I'd like to have a ride, then never ever see it again.