Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

WoG posted:

Hah. My bet would have been a Put This On podcast, then I checked his twitter feed:

It's amazing, and if you haven't listened to it yet, you'll need to.

The new ‪#MaxFun‬ show is short, monthly, and absolutely revelatory. Fail to listen at your peril.

So it's definitely something pre-existing. Announcement's today, at any rate.

Oh 99% Invisible, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Al! posted:

Oh 99% Invisible, of course.

You and I aren't the only ones with that initial suspicion (though I'd say it's more than monthly): Roman's got a deal with PRX, who also employ him for other stuff. I wish I could add him!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

indigi posted:

Even Earwolf is indie, technically, but you've got a jerk of a businessman in Jeff Ulrich running it and I can't say the quality of shows hasn't taken a dip over the past 3-6 months. I've dropped pretty much every Earwolf show beside CBB! and I've even been skipping some of those. Who Charted really took a nosedive near the end/immediately following Dustin's departure and I'm not fully sure why cause it's not like his impact on the show was apparent at all.

I don't feel like CBB or Who Charted have dipped in quality at all. I've been re-listening to old episodes of CBB and it's on par with what's coming out recently (missing Nick Kroll though).

I don't care how "indie" any podcast is, I listen to podcasts because they're funny, interesting and I like the hosts. If they have to play a few commercials or get bought out I don't really give a poo poo. I'll stop listening when they're no longer funny, interesting or likable.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

ElCondemn posted:

I don't feel like CBB or Who Charted have dipped in quality at all. I've been re-listening to old episodes of CBB and it's on par with what's coming out recently (missing Nick Kroll though).

I don't care how "indie" any podcast is, I listen to podcasts because they're funny, interesting and I like the hosts. If they have to play a few commercials or get bought out I don't really give a poo poo. I'll stop listening when they're no longer funny, interesting or likable.

This right here is the gospel.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

WoG posted:

Hah. My bet would have been a Put This On podcast, then I checked his twitter feed:

It's amazing, and if you haven't listened to it yet, you'll need to.

The new ‪#MaxFun‬ show is short, monthly, and absolutely revelatory. Fail to listen at your peril.

So it's definitely something pre-existing. Announcement's today, at any rate.

...and it's The Memory Palace.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I 100% agree with that. I don't, however, agree that the Earwolf shows have maintained the quality that brought me in in the first place, which is why I don't listen anymore, and it's inextricably linked to all the tales of lovely business practices by Jeff. We can argue to what extent all day, but there's no denying it's related.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The only dip in quality that I have seen from CBB is the period when Scott was working on the tv show and basically throwing together the podcast at the last moment. Improv4humans is a newer show and is hilarious, and who charted is just as funny to me now as when it launched.

I WILL say though that I think Jeff sorta forced the Sklars and Howard to do their 2nd shows each week as a way to get in more advertising, and I rarely listen to them.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Professor Blastoff is fine comedy as well. It's got Tig!

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

UP AND ADAM posted:

Professor Blastoff is fine comedy as well. It's got Tig!

What does Tig have to do with comedy?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Hey, Arya, hope you get killed on your trip north. >:[

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Eltoasto posted:

I WILL say though that I think Jeff sorta forced the Sklars and Howard to do their 2nd shows each week as a way to get in more advertising, and I rarely listen to them.

As worried as I was about two shows a week for stuff like Who Charted, Two Charted has been consistently good, and I would say has actually steadily increased in quality, to the point where I would argue it's as funny as the primary show, assuming you love Howard (and how could you not).

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I never got into Sklarboro Country because they would put me to sleep. And I've only ever listened to one Two Charted and that was when some guest was on. But yeah I think Who Charted has hit a rough patch for whatever reason. CBB has been stellar, even when Scott was running ragged from the tv show.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

I never got into Sklarboro Country because they would put me to sleep. And I've only ever listened to one Two Charted and that was when some guest was on. But yeah I think Who Charted has hit a rough patch for whatever reason. CBB has been stellar, even when Scott was running ragged from the tv show.

Howard really pushed the Have a Summah thing just a bit too far into unfunny territory, but not hard enough to bring it back into its-funny again territory.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

Howard really pushed the Have a Summah thing just a bit too far into unfunny territory, but not hard enough to bring it back into its-funny again territory.

I love Have a Summah, I bought the album and I listen to it in my car all the time.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

I don't think it was ever in funny territory to begin with.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

And Howard's probably the worst emcee of the decade, I don't know why he insists on pushing DBS so hard when it has no traction

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
Part of the reason I think Who Charted is hit and miss is because of the guests. Most of the guests have no opinion at all on what gets played, either because they usually give the "I have no idea what the kids are listening to these days" excuse or they don't have a strong opinion on anything, and the movie charts are just difficult to make funny on their own, especially since Howard doesn't even watch many movies.

I usually contrast the first Natasha Leggero appearance with the second, where her first episode early in the WC run is really funny and the second one from a few months ago feels like they're all there just to record a new episode.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Wasn't there supposed to be a second season of Mike Detective?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Auritech posted:

Most of the guests have no opinion at all on what gets played, either because they usually give the "I have no idea what the kids are listening to these days" excuse or they don't have a strong opinion on anything

For the vast majority of charts, neither do Howard and Kulap. Even when they do rap charts Howard doesn't have a clue what's going on.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Auritech posted:

Part of the reason I think Who Charted is hit and miss is because of the guests. Most of the guests have no opinion at all on what gets played, either because they usually give the "I have no idea what the kids are listening to these days" excuse or they don't have a strong opinion on anything, and the movie charts are just difficult to make funny on their own, especially since Howard doesn't even watch many movies.

I usually contrast the first Natasha Leggero appearance with the second, where her first episode early in the WC run is really funny and the second one from a few months ago feels like they're all there just to record a new episode.
The charts are uninteresting so it's entirely reliant on guests.

Get Up On This isn't always funny but it's a much stronger concept.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

indigi posted:

And Howard's probably the worst emcee of the decade, I don't know why he insists on pushing DBS so hard when it has no traction

The chart themes are cute but I couldn't imagine listening to a whole album of that.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Has he stopped dragging his heels and produced Brody's song yet?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The charts are uninteresting so it's entirely reliant on guests.

Even then I only really listen to it when I really, really like the guest. I like Kulap (her episode of The Todd Glass Show was great, she's a really fun guest) but Howard is just a black hole of funny. The only time he's funny is when he unintentionally says something stupid, which to be fair is a lot.

Also gently caress summer. Winter is the best season, follow by autumn.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

The declared purpose of Who Charted is "where we use the weekly charts to get to better know our guest". They use the charts as a springboard for conversation about possibly tangential topics with the guest; the charts themselves aren't the focus. Whether or not that's wise given the name and structure of the show is up for debate, but they certainly don't claim to know all that much about the charts they cover. Also, Howard is hilarious, and fall > summer > spring > winter :colbert:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I just realized that the advice on My Brother My Brother and Me isn't very good, and the people Scott Aukerman interviews on Comedy Bang Bang aren't even real people. Why do I even listen to podcasts?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Ha next thing you're going to tell me is that Adam Carolla is racist, sexist, and homophobic.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Also gently caress summer. Winter is the best season, follow by autumn.

Yeah maybe if you live around the equator. Spring and fall are the best seasons.

And Who Charted was great until they introduced Two Charted. Quality over quantity with podcasts, Ulrich. Quality over quantity.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 13, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Pete Holmes does 2 eps a week and YMIW is great so what up now dog?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
This week's Improv4Humans was really exemplary, I'm going to use it as the episode I recommend to new listeners because every scene was golden and everyone was so on the mark. You can turn it off when it gets to the Chris Gore interview, however. It's mostly Besser just nodding along until Gore gets to whatever strained, convoluted point he's trying to make. I don't know Chris Gore at all but from this podcast all I gathered is that he 1)is an annoying douchebag who is loudly insistent about his terrible personality in real life and 2) does not understand improv at all.

You'd figure that the confluence of these two flaws would make Gore an irresistible guest for Matt Besser to go off on, but Besser is just uncharacteristically gracious and patient to this uninformed loudmouth. I guess his zines and indie films has built up a lot of good will for him :/

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

He was... interviewing someone?

Clearly this was the work of Jeff Ulrich. #thingsidigiwouldsay

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Poopy Palpy posted:

I just realized that the advice on My Brother My Brother and Me isn't very good, and the people Scott Aukerman interviews on Comedy Bang Bang aren't even real people. Why do I even listen to podcasts?

This comparison doesn't work cause on Who Charted they not only play clips of songs/trailers, they also spend a non-trivial amount of time talking about (more accurately, saying how they don't know poo poo about) whatever movie or song it is. The conceit of having characters come on a podcast or giving joke advice doesn't necessitate a bunch of unrelated and boring conversation 10 times per episode.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I actually liked the interview. Besser's explanations of improv were really interesting. The guest...not so much.

Edit: I just listened to the first two episodes of Analyze Phish and I absolutely love it. They are clearly having a ton of fun and Scott's reactions to the songs are just great.

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 13, 2012

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

So I guess we won't be getting a JJGO! Comic-con special after all. http://jessethorn.tumblr.com/post/27125989650/jordan-jesse-go-live-at-san-diego-comic-con

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

Goes to show how much of a corporate poo poo-show SDCC is.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

indigi posted:

This comparison doesn't work cause on Who Charted they not only play clips of songs/trailers, they also spend a non-trivial amount of time talking about (more accurately, saying how they don't know poo poo about) whatever movie or song it is. The conceit of having characters come on a podcast or giving joke advice doesn't necessitate a bunch of unrelated and boring conversation 10 times per episode.

I don't watch TV and I block ads online, I hear about new movies and music from Who Charted. I like the charts.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Auritech posted:

Goes to show how much of a corporate poo poo-show SDCC is.

I think the Twilight panel is a better sign than podcasts getting run off.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

CommunistMojo posted:

I think the Twilight panel is a better sign than podcasts getting run off.

I don't see how something obsessive dorks fetishize is out of place at Comic-Con.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

moot the hopple posted:

This week's Improv4Humans was really exemplary, I'm going to use it as the episode I recommend to new listeners because every scene was golden and everyone was so on the mark. You can turn it off when it gets to the Chris Gore interview, however. It's mostly Besser just nodding along until Gore gets to whatever strained, convoluted point he's trying to make. I don't know Chris Gore at all but from this podcast all I gathered is that he 1)is an annoying douchebag who is loudly insistent about his terrible personality in real life and 2) does not understand improv at all.

You'd figure that the confluence of these two flaws would make Gore an irresistible guest for Matt Besser to go off on, but Besser is just uncharacteristically gracious and patient to this uninformed loudmouth. I guess his zines and indie films has built up a lot of good will for him :/

This guy is amazingly insufferable. I wish Matt would have hosed with him for his awful obvious shitthatneverhappened.txt bullshit.
I listened to as much of it as I could stand, and when I went to check how much more there was to go, there was 23 minutes left on the podcast :gonk:

The actual episode really was very, very good though.

Greggy fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 13, 2012

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Dan Harmon's monthly(?) Harmontown is now being released as a podcast, so listen to that if you like him and the things he does - just listened to the first episode, was pleasantly ramshackle and kept me entertained, will be listening again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Yeah I had no opinion of Chris Gore up to this point. Now I have a very negative opinion of him.

• Locked thread