Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

In developers.apple.com I just see that they upload a monthly dmg file but that's a really annoying way of updating.
That's the update method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Your reading skill has increased by +1 point(s).

Anjow posted:

Is there a way to change the default width of columns in column view?

Yes- hold down Option as you drag the columns. This changes them all to be the exact same width, but it should also remember that width every time.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Anyone had issues with Google Chrome causing kernel panics? It's happened several times for me on a mid-2012 mbp.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What were some 'good' PPC games during the late G4 and G5 era? Doom3?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 13, 2012

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
The Powermac G5 came out in mid 2003, so that would include:

Call of Duty 1 (late 2003)
Quake 3 (2000)
Unreal Tournament 2003/4
Battlefield 1942 (2002)
Diablo 2 + LoD (2002)
Warcraft 3 (2002)
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (2002)
Max Payne (2002)
Zoo Tycoon (2003)
Dungeon Seige (2003)
Halo (2004)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (2004)
Homeworld 2 (2004)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Erkenntnis posted:

Anyone had issues with Google Chrome causing kernel panics? It's happened several times for me on a mid-2012 mbp.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/29/google-chrome-causing-freezing-and-crashing-on-new-mac-notebooks/

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Beyond that, I've had Chrome cause a sudden complete shutdown on my Mid-2010 MBP.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Well that would explain that. Thanks.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

jwoven posted:

Quake 3 (2000)
Unreal Tournament 2003/4
Battlefield 1942 (2002)
Diablo 2 + LoD (2002)
Warcraft 3 (2002)
Max Payne (2002)
Zoo Tycoon (2003)
Dungeon Seige (2003)
Halo (2004)
Homeworld 2 (2004)

Thanks! HW2?!?! I'll have to check that out.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Manky posted:

Sparrow, Pixelmator, Growl, Permute.
This is from a couple pages back, but thank you thank you for recommending Permute. It meets a whole lot of needs that I had, and $15 is a great price. (Note to other folks checking it out: the App Store version won't rip DVDs or YouTube, but just go to the developer's site at https://www.fuelcollective.com to download directly and get those features.)

Edit for clarity: Permute is an app for converting video between formats, and also happens to rip DVDs and YouTube links. Simple interface: drag a file or a link onto the window, then tell it what format you want the output to be.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 13, 2012

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

The Macaroni posted:

This is from a couple pages back, but thank you thank you for recommending Permute. It meets a whole lot of needs that I had, and $15 is a great price. (Note to other folks checking it out: the App Store version won't rip DVDs or YouTube, but just go to the developer's site at https://www.fuelcollective.com to download directly and get those features.)

Edit for clarity: Permute is an app for converting video between formats, and also happens to rip DVDs and YouTube links. Simple interface: drag a file or a link onto the window, then tell it what format you want the output to be.

The trial allows 10 free conversions if you want to check it out before buying, fyi.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Mikey-San posted:

Filter the system log for "kernel". Are there any messages containing the text "I/O error" or "hfs"? If so, can you paste those?

Not as such, but what about these?

code:
Jul 12 21:15:35 Scorpio kernel[0]: USBF:	335047. 26	[0x9b9f700] The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in.  It will keep retrying.  (Port 1 of Hub at 0xfa210000)
Jul 12 21:15:35 Scorpio kernel[0]: USBF:	335047.458	[0x9b9f700] The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device.
Jul 12 21:18:05 Scorpio kernel[0]: USBF:	335197.427	[0x9ba2700] The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in.  It will keep retrying.  (Port 2 of Hub at 0xfa210000)
Jul 12 21:18:08 Scorpio kernel[0]: USBF:	335200.426	[0x9ba2700] The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device.
Jul 12 21:18:09 Scorpio kernel[0]: USBF:	335201.267	[0x9ba2700] The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in.  It will keep retrying.  (Port 2 of Hub at 0xfa210000)
Jul 12 21:18:10 Scorpio kernel[0]: USBF:	335202.531	[0x9ba2700] The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device.
Jul 12 21:32:13 Scorpio kernel[0]: disk3s2: device is not ready.

Only the last one appeared after I actually tried to get time machine to run, but does this suggest there is something wrong with my hub?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Small White Dragon posted:

Unrelated:
Does VMWare Fusion work fine under Mountain Lion?

VMWare Fusion 3 doesn't.

Version 4 does, but you need to install 4.1.2 or later for it to work in ML

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Macaroni posted:

My pleasure. After the great VisualHub was discontinued, there really wasn't a good video conversion tool for Mac. Handbrake works, but the developers are, by all accounts, massive tools. Permute was really the first good tool to come along. I still miss VisualHub, but a little less with every Permute update.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Manky posted:

My pleasure. After the great VisualHub was discontinued, there really wasn't a good video conversion tool for Mac. Handbrake works, but the developers are, by all accounts, massive tools. Permute was really the first good tool to come along. I still miss VisualHub, but a little less with every Permute update.

Will this do what Handbrake does for iPad movie conversion? And more importantly, can it do it faster??

[edit] Went to their site. Looks like yes for my first question and I'll find out for my second. :)

[edit] Roughly the same speed as Handbrake, more or less. (That is to say... Slowish.)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 13, 2012

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I wonder if there's a private or non-private API for h264 encoding/decoding with QuickSync in Mountain Lion. If so, h264 reencoding will be greatly sped up and you'll see some great difference.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

Manky posted:

Handbrake works, but the developers are, by all accounts, massive tools. Permute was really the first good tool to come along. I still miss VisualHub, but a little less with every Permute update.

Just curious as to what they did to be defined as massive tools

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nuntius posted:

Just curious as to what they did to be defined as massive tools

Eh, it's not something I ever encountered or really paid attention to, but from what I remember a lot of people wanted them to fix/implement a working queue function and the devs told them to gently caress off. Maybe it was just users with entitlement complexes, with all honesty I probably shouldn't have said anything I couldn't substantiate.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
I just bought a new Macbook Air and have been using Safari for the first time - I am used to Firefox on my old Blackbook. When watching a youtube video, if I hit the keyboard shortcut to jump to the Google search bar, my video stops playing. Does anyone know a way around this? It's incredibly annoying and I might switch back to FF.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

wizard sticks posted:

I just bought a new Macbook Air and have been using Safari for the first time - I am used to Firefox on my old Blackbook. When watching a youtube video, if I hit the keyboard shortcut to jump to the Google search bar, my video stops playing. Does anyone know a way around this? It's incredibly annoying and I might switch back to FF.

CMD-OPT-F? I don't know the answer to your question but I can at least say this doesn't happen with Mountain Lion so that's something to look forward to, if anything.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

jwoven posted:

Quake 3 (2000)
Unreal Tournament 2003/4
Battlefield 1942 (2002)
Diablo 2 + LoD (2002)
Warcraft 3 (2002)
Max Payne (2002)
Zoo Tycoon (2003)
Dungeon Seige (2003)
Halo (2004)
Homeworld 2 (2004)

Just to add onto this, COD2 and Quake 4 got Mac ports as well.
Wolf:ET got one eventually thanks to some volunteers I believe.
There's a few other Star Wars FPSs like Jedi Knight 2/Jedi Academy.
Rise of Nations means my brother is stuck on 10.6 forevermore.

Edit: I remember the Mac versions of Civ 3 and BF1942 were better than the PC ones. Usually in widescreen support and the BF1942 server host was actually usable.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 13, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is there any hope for OS X gaming on the 2012 MBA? Crusader Kings II and Civ IV both have nasty graphical issues. I understand this is due to poor drivers for the HD 4000 - is there any alternative driver out there?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Is there any hope for OS X gaming on the 2012 MBA? Crusader Kings II and Civ IV both have nasty graphical issues. I understand this is due to poor drivers for the HD 4000 - is there any alternative driver out there?

Boot camp?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Small White Dragon posted:

Does VMWare Fusion work fine under Mountain Lion?

http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/beta/fusiontp2012

The tech preview works pretty well for me. They advertise ML compatibility.

Bonus: free key until October.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That's the update method.

Well that sucks I guess Xcode it is then.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Things may be better under Mountain Lion?

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!
Petey:

Eliminate the hub from the picture and see if the issue stops reproducing.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Manky posted:

Eh, it's not something I ever encountered or really paid attention to, but from what I remember a lot of people wanted them to fix/implement a working queue function and the devs told them to gently caress off. Maybe it was just users with entitlement complexes, with all honesty I probably shouldn't have said anything I couldn't substantiate.

Just read through their forums if you want substantiation. When the devs bother to respond to feature requests (particularly wrt asking for a decent queueing feature), their responses tend to be in the form of "quit whining about this poo poo, you're like the hundredth person to ask for this" or "if it's so important to you why don't you go implement it yourself?" It was such a turn-off that I've never bothered to check in there again in a couple of years, so maybe their attitudes have changed... But I doubt it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

flyboi posted:

With my 2012 MBA the AppStore let me load my iLife apps through it and now they're "purchased." I would assume iWork is the same way.
Nope unless they changed something recently. iLife comes with new machines so when you got the MBA you got licensed for iLife as well (no indication on how this will work with new releases though). iWork (and other apps) don't come with the computer, and their non App Store licenses don't transfer over to the App Store so you have to buy them again. I think it'll show you if you have a matching app and offers to "upgrade" or something, but you have to pay for the cost of the app.

crazysim posted:

I wonder if there's a private or non-private API for h264 encoding/decoding with QuickSync in Mountain Lion. If so, h264 reencoding will be greatly sped up and you'll see some great difference.
Pretty sure there's something there, AirPlay mirroring only works on SNB and IVB machines (and isn't much of a performance hit afaik) so QuickSync is the most likely method in use. I remember Anand (of Anandtech) mentioning on Twitter a while back with the betas that QT didn't take advantage of it though :(. Hopefully that'll get opened up/figured out by some third parties if it's private. I wonder if it was mentioned in one of the WWDC sessions...

Mikey-San posted:

Petey:

Eliminate the hub from the picture and see if the issue stops reproducing.
Yeah hopefully it's just the hub and not one of the internal hubs. Note that if the drive has been unexpectedly disconnected and stuff during all this that it could have gotten corrupted in the process too. By the time I figured it out when my hub was bad my drive had to be reformatted to be usable again. (or I could've fixed it with a commercial drive utility but I was too cheap to do that with just a backup drive).

Choadmaster posted:

Just read through their forums if you want substantiation. When the devs bother to respond to feature requests (particularly wrt asking for a decent queueing feature), their responses tend to be in the form of "quit whining about this poo poo, you're like the hundredth person to ask for this" or "if it's so important to you why don't you go implement it yourself?" It was such a turn-off that I've never bothered to check in there again in a couple of years, so maybe their attitudes have changed... But I doubt it.
I vaguely remember someone here getting the "implement it yourself" response for a simple queueing implementation...then did it and submitted it, and ended up getting rejected or ignored or something.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005

1997 posted:

CMD-OPT-F? I don't know the answer to your question but I can at least say this doesn't happen with Mountain Lion so that's something to look forward to, if anything.

I changed it to CMD+K (through System Preferences) so it's like firefox..maybe that's what is causing it. I'll check it out tonight! Is there any way to install Mountain Lion if I don't have a dev acct?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I just signed up for crashplan but my home connection isn't terribly fast. Is it okay to use the apple store wifi to backup my computer?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I don't know if Apple allows that or not, or how long you plan on sitting in an Apple store waiting for the initial backup to complete, but CrashPlan does offer a seed service.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Sparrow is on sale for $4.99 on the App Store until Monday.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

Sparrow is on sale for $4.99 on the App Store until Monday.

Speaking of which, has the free version of Sparrow been really buggy for anyone else lately? I can't even get it to load my inbox most of the time anymore. I've already removed it an reinstalled but it didn't help. Maybe I should finally just upgrade to the full version.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Diabolik900 posted:

Speaking of which, has the free version of Sparrow been really buggy for anyone else lately? I can't even get it to load my inbox most of the time anymore. I've already removed it an reinstalled but it didn't help. Maybe I should finally just upgrade to the full version.

And on that note, does it still leak memory everywhere? I really want to like the app, but had a really bad first impression.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Anyone tried Apple Remote Desktopping into a ML machine?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

wizard sticks posted:

I changed it to CMD+K (through System Preferences) so it's like firefox..maybe that's what is causing it. I'll check it out tonight! Is there any way to install Mountain Lion if I don't have a dev acct?

Yeah, there's plenty of ways but right now they're not things you should do. Mountain Lion will be out soon, if you're jonesing that bad.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Shaocaholica posted:

Thanks! HW2?!?! I'll have to check that out.
SimCity 4 also had a PPC Mac release I believe.

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo
Is there an in-depth guide to the finer points of AFP file sharing on a local network? I've a white MacBook that nowadays functions as a media server, and I'd like to be able to view the external HD connected to it from my iMac. I tried enabling File Sharing, adding the volume to the list of shared folders, and setting only two parameters for who can access it: the profile the MacBook is logged in as (Read & Write privileges) and "Everyone" (No Access).

This way I can access the volume just fine, but for some reason, so can my roommate. (He was able to read and write just like me on my iMac). All the guides I've seen seem to describe more or less exactly what I did, but it's not working quite how I'd like it to. What am I missing?

edit: Here's a screenshot of my options (just imagine File Sharing is checked and that the computer and the shared folder have names):

goethe gear xx fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

SLOSifl posted:

This should be doable with 'defaults write'.

As root:
code:
/usr/bin/defaults write /Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop Background '{default = {ImageFilePath = "path to file.png"; };}'
Apologies for any tables I broke there. You will have to do that for each user, unless there is a way to hit them all at once. If there is a globally applicable plist, use the path to that instead.

Awesome, this is exactly what I needed. Thanks so much. You actually don't have to run it as root though.
My only problem is that it doesn't take effect until I log out and log back in. I tried running a "killall Finder" without success, is there a way to make it take effect instantly?