Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Hunter Noventa posted:

This is about how Blasters can't easily maintain the level of To-Hit needed for instant snipes right?

Add +To-Hit to Defiance.
Oh jesus, so many Accuracy slots on a blaster. Primary powers, secondary powers, trying to pay for them when you aren't one of the Billions Are Pocket Change crowd and alchemical silvers are going for a quarter million each again. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Hunter Noventa posted:

This is about how Blasters can't easily maintain the level of To-Hit needed for instant snipes right?

Add +To-Hit to Defiance.

No, even with the snipe changes, they still fall behind the non-tanker melee classes in terms of damage output... And everything else. Blasters will still be the definitive "Worst Archetype in the Game" even after the changes, because they still won't excel at the only role they have.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 12, 2012

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Miijhal posted:

No, even with the snipe changes, they still fall behind the non-tanker melee classes in terms of damage output... And everything else. Blasters will still be the definitive "Worst Archetype in the Game" even after the changes, because they still won't excel at the only role they have.

It's rather telling that of all the ways I can think of to help out Blasters, about 20% is bound to piss off other ATs normally Corruptors, 10% involve basically ripping the whole thing up and starting again somehow, and 70% of them involve use of a time machine in some way.

EDIT: Also, come on. You can't call them the 'Worst Archetype in the Game'. I mean at this point I'm convinced the only reason Peacebringers exist is to take that spot and just hold onto it for dear life.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Hunter Noventa posted:

Add +To-Hit to Defiance.
How about just buff their absurdly low pool power numbers?

Also /Dark can maintain it with Soul Drain, but you need IOs to perma it.

Cleretic posted:

EDIT: Also, come on. You can't call them the 'Worst Archetype in the Game'. I mean at this point I'm convinced the only reason Peacebringers exist is to take that spot and just hold onto it for dear life.
Ironically the biggest problem with Blaster DPS aside from being dead is that dominators and corruptors make up for pretty much any shortfall in base DPS with a nifty thing called "resistance debuffs," which are especially more useful in a team environment.

On that note, at least Peacebringers can slot Achilles Heel procs in most of their attacks!

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 12, 2012

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Section Z posted:

I can imagine the average Controller hating their Dopplegangers. Getting nailed by all the holds and other stuff they use from their Clone, who has boss default protections...

Unless you're an Earth/Sonic controller providing yourself Mag 6.92 Hold protection, and packing a -KB Enhancement which they won't have :smug:

Or if you have dispersion bubble. gently caress yeah.

:smith:

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Slung Blade posted:

Don't worry man one day they will give FF absorb or something and you will be good marginally less terrible!

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
And it will only absorb toxic damage :shepface:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Bakalakadaka posted:

Don't worry man one day they will give FF absorb or something and you will be good marginally less terrible!

Synapse apparently liked the idea of adding a constant ticking absorb to Dispersion Bubble, but thought the idea of constant white numbers popping over everyone's head looked stupid. Apparently absorb to FF is still something they wanna do though.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
Maybe put it on Repulsion Bomb. Any allies caught in the blast get some Absorb.

vvv That's exactly what they want to avoid, though. Having to spam shields doesn't make the powerset more interesting; kind of the opposite, actually.

LaserShark fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 12, 2012

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Eh, how good is Force Field?

On it's own, I mean. I know it's horribly, horribly redundant at end game when everyone has softcapped defenses and a ton of other +def buffs.

But I could see them revamping Force Field, adding Absorb to most of the powers and possibly, depending on how good FF still stands up, removing some of the def to compensate.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it'd actually make FF alot more active. Imagine constantly reapplying the different Force Fields to refresh the absorb buffer in a big fight.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 12, 2012

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
Gender switching cross dressers are putting forth more effort lately.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

BenRGamer posted:

Half of its skills rival Hand Clap and Black Hole in being actively harmful. Basically its skills are:

- A giant defense/resist buff that prevents you from doing anything useful while active
- Two Generic castable defense buffs for your team
- A defense buff and mez protection bubble
- A single-target banish
- A single-target knockback
- A PBAoE knockback
- A targeted AOE knockback
- A placement AOE repel/knockdown

Repels, knockbacks, and banishes are all poo poo so basically all it offers are defense buffs and mez protection, and if you want that then you should run Time, Traps, or Cold instead.

Absorbs are not going to save it for the same reasons that nobody takes Frostwork.

Free Headcrab
Jan 3, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The hell is a banish?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

A skill that makes a target unable to do anything, but also invincible.

See: Detention Field, Black Hole, Sonic Cage, Carnie Illusionist phasing.

The game can't decide what to call it (capture, intangible, untouchable), so I'll just call it by the name it usually goes by in every other MMO.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 12, 2012

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Usually referred to as a "cage" power. It has its odd uses, like caging the towers on the STF to avoid having to blow them up. Most of the time they're considered exploits though and are patched out, so it's a very short list of potential uses.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

BenRGamer posted:

1800 is correct.

It's not terrible in the low-mid levels as the two castables really help out. The pbaoe mezz protection is the best power in the set, and the t9 is somewhat useful in a very small number of situations.

Force bolt is kind of fun as a gimmick power in an alternate build. Playing golf with -40s in early zones is always hilarious, but the damage is poo poo and the nemesis staff is free and looks/acts exactly the same, except better damage (I think, I've not used FB in forever).

But yes, in the high levels it's pretty much totally useless except for the odd team mate's character with bad mezz protection, and even then, clarion call exists.

I still play it specifically because it's so passive, doesn't require a lot of slots, and you can drop a shitload of LOTG recharge IOs into it. Also because I chose it as a main before all the better stuff existed, except maybe ice, I don't remember when that one came in.

Making the defense sets more active is not a good thing, especially on a controller. Back when the castables were single-target only, you had to choose if you wanted to buff people or actually, you know, control things. No one was going to wait around while you refreshed the shields in between fights. Having them as a quick AOE or two, a pbaoe toggle, and maybe the odd click buff allows you to do everything without slowing the group down at all.

All that said, I would not recommend that anyone ever take the set again unless it gets a major, major reworking for the better. Many sets do everything that this one does and more, and they do them better.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

OneEightHundred posted:

Absorbs are not going to save it for the same reasons that nobody takes Frostwork.

does absorb work off hp cap like that?

so if i have 2300 hp and your absorb bubble adds +800, but i cap at 2400 hp, i'm only getting +100 fake rear end hp?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Even if you want a really passive set though, Cold exists. Seriously for how good Cold is, you barely have to do anything. Drop Sleet, cast Heat Loss if it's off cooldown, maybe cast Benumb, you're done, go back to spamming poo poo from your primary.

Honestly FF has exactly one advantage: With lovely enhancements, it's probably the easiest set to get consistently good defense numbers with. It's probably the second-best thing you can bring for a team's survivability while leveling up (the best thing is Fearsome Stare), but that turns useless really quick when you can stack up recharge and make like Fade and Farsight amazing.

This is especially true on a controller where DA is mind-bogglingly good.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 12, 2012

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

Nevermind, I'm getting names WAY wrong. Still, I appreciate bubble wielders. They made my failed shot at a MA/SR scrapper feel like less of a failure.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah, it's cheap, easy, and brainless.

I chose it back in the day to be different from all the fire/rad controllers running around. I'm pretty sure cold wasn't an option either, back before issue 1.

Could have been worse, I think I experimented with grav/empathy before I settled on fire/ff. :psyduck:

You drat kids with all your awesome options.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Amazingly, Lemonade Lucy's description was genericed the very first day. Cleverly anticipating that, I brought forth my backup...

http://imgur.com/7cfgF

Evil Z
Jun 14, 2012

Gynovore posted:

Amazingly, Lemonade Lucy's description was genericed the very first day. Cleverly anticipating that, I brought forth my backup...

That story was quite refreshing.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

City of Heroes posted:

"Well, Anna, many would have you think that, but this week we are covering sharks in much of our weekly programming here on WSPDR, trying to show the real side of these magnificent creatures, the gentle, playful dancers of the waves. It's something we like to call 'Sharks: The Dolphin's Smiling Cousin'."

Mako felt his jaw drop, his rage a small ember, but growing quickly as cartoon images of sharks overlaid with soft, sweet music played.

This is the best reason for Captain Mako to go on a rampage.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Patware posted:

This is the best reason for Captain Mako to go on a rampage.

Captain Mako Week was actually a repeat livestream suggestion. This is probably the best result I could've imagined coming from this.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Gynovore posted:

Bladder Control made it 1 day even though my costume and bio have nothing to do with urine. They won't give in and let me keep it since "any reference to a bodily function is inappropriate and offensive." Among furries and demon rape victims I'm the offensive one. So from now on I plan to report every name that is any reference to any body function and I'm going to quote that email.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Pez posted:

Bladder Control made it 1 day even though my costume and bio have nothing to do with urine. They won't give in and let me keep it since "any reference to a bodily function is inappropriate and offensive." Among furries and demon rape victims I'm the offensive one. So from now on I plan to report every name that is any reference to any body function and I'm going to quote that email.

Hehe, go for it.

Sonic fender? Speaking is a bodily function, generic him!

Psi blaster? Thinking is something the brain does, right?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Oh mannn this PlayNC maintenance. I have a great idea for a water blaster and I just can't give NCSoft my money.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Pez posted:

Quote it, undersign it as Bladder Control, but if they crack down on poo poo like a proper character that could be read as a double entendre despite it not being one, then they very much should and could crack down on the most blatant poo poo strutting under Atlas' ball and /e wallleaning in the Pocket D.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

UH OH i probably won't be on again tonight so what level did I get you to just now? Thanks in advance.

Free Headcrab
Jan 3, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I got to 17 then logged off cause goons never do anything

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I was going to get a TF together and then I found out some terrible news so I decided to drink until it I couldn't see.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:

Cuchulain posted:

I was going to get a TF together and then I found out some terrible news so I decided to drink until it I couldn't see.

does anything good ever happen in your life?

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Hi posted:

he gets to hang out w/ you in an mmo sometimes. i know those are the highlights for me

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Hi posted:

My girlfriend is cute. That's pretty much all I've got going for me.

Also what Puppy Puzzle said.

Edit: oh and I quit my job, so now I'm broke and homeless but I don't have to drive an ambulance or carry fat dying people around anymore. That's something good for me.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 13, 2012

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

he gets to hang out w/ you in an mmo sometimes. i know those are the highlights for me

I love you.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I was going to come on and play but apparently either my power supply or motherboard just died. :smith:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Do you have backups of your Tommy pix? :ohdear:

Free Headcrab
Jan 3, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I have them saved to 6 separate hard drives. And a tablet.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

I have mine on a tablet.

Not the electronic device, I mean it's carved into a stone relief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Carve it onto an obelisk.

A curved obelisk.

• Locked thread