Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Wake up your dog.

Also I leave you with this picture of an indignant Trophy I stole from Gar's G+:

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Skizzles posted:

Wake up your dog.

Also I leave you with this picture of an indignant Trophy I stole from Gar's G+:

Trophy is basically a Pixar character. Fuggin' magical.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
Captain Foxy was babysitting a tiny kitten recently. Our dogs thought, "We are the daddies." They fawned over her and lovingly groomed, herded, and played with her for the two days she stayed with us. She had them both totally cowed.

DIS OUR BABBY

GROOM THE BABBY

We feed the Pom only the finest adorable kittens to keep his bloodlust at the highest possible threshold. This is responsible ownership.

She loved Spice and kept following him around.

He loved it.

At-home canine rhinoplasty.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
That is the cutest damned thing. :3: Is the kitten recovering well?

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Oh god, this picture makes the kitten look so tiny! It's adorable!

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Awwwww. :3: I was wondering how you all did with the wee kitten. Thanks for the pictures!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

demozthenes posted:

Because city councils and animal control departments shouldn't have to shoulder the burden of someone else repeatedly breaking the law. Instead of owning up to their mistakes, the owners fought the city by lying about it, getting the media involved, and standing by while the internet launched a harassment campaign against the city council (which I'm sure did lots to endear them).

Also IIRC the ban is on "pit bull type dogs" not specifically only purebred APBTs. The owners had previously registered the dog as a "pit bull type," allowed the registration to lapse, and ignored multiple warning from the city before their dog was taken. So I don't really see why anybody would defend them.

http://canineaggression.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/lennox-gloves-come-off.html

I just wanted to get your thoughts on this, given that the dog catcher was all they had, etc.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

wtftastic posted:

http://canineaggression.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/lennox-gloves-come-off.html

I just wanted to get your thoughts on this, given that the dog catcher was all they had, etc.

Honestly I'm surprised they allowed third-party evaluations at all - it's just opening the system up to more abuse like what we've seen from Lennox's owners, dragging the case out for years and costing the city more and more and more money while the ensuing media circus whips itself into a frenzy sending threats and pouring gasoline into city councilpersons' home mail slots. Allowing one owner to bring in a slew of high-profile TV personalities to come in and argue with the dog catcher opens up a precedent to allow all future negligent owners to do this.

Nothing about this changes the fact that an unregistered, illegal dog is still an unregistered, illegal dog. I guess I'm just wondering what exactly is the point that you're trying to argue? That they should let TV show dog trainers come in and start enforcing the laws? That they should have illegally exported an illegal, unregistered animal and open the doors for every illegal, unregistered animal to be exported, again, illegally? That one brief behavioral assessment doesn't hold up against 2 years of full-time boarding with the dog?

Edit to add, here is a case summary, including some choice bits that were conveniently left out of most of the American coverage of the story:

quote:

Following the expiry of the dog's licence in September 2009 a dog warden attended the applicant's property on 11 May 2010 and observed what she thought was a Pit Bull type dog on the property. She returned with another warden to the premises later that date. The wardens spoke to a male on the premises who refused to permit the examination of the dog and told he them that if they attempted to measure the dog it would "rip their head off".

Owners admitting to the dog warden that their dog was human-aggressive.

quote:

[5] A warrant to enter was obtained on 14 May 2010. The dog wardens attended on 19 May 2010. One of the wardens, Ms Lightfoot, attempted to examine the dog in the kitchen. The dog was very agitated, barking and growling. The dog lunged at her head and hit her with his muzzle. She was unable to carry out the examination because the dog was repeatedly lunging at her. The applicant finally agreed that the dog wardens could take the dog and she placed the dog in the Council van.

Dog growls at and then repeatedly lunges at the dog warden, owner agrees that they can take the dog away.

quote:

[6] Mr Peter Tallaght, an expert dog handler, retained by the Council examined the dog. He confirmed that the dog was a Pit Bull Terrier and he had serious concerns in relation to its temperament and general stability. The dog allowed Mr Tallaght to examine him but after the examination and without warning flew at him at head height hitting the wire gate parallel to Mr Tallaght's face. At the hearing before the County Court Mr Tallaght stated the dog was a dangerous example of this type of dog and he believed it had a severe personality defect. He considered that the dog had a problem with strangers and it was not possible to determine when the dog would be under stress.

quote:

[8] On the other hand Mr David Ryan, on behalf of the applicant, in a report dated 16 March 2011 recorded that when he reached over the dog's head to clip a line to the back of his collar in one movement the dog lunged towards him, growled, barked and snapped. He concluded that if the dog were to be returned to the family he would not be a danger to the public if kept muzzled and confined to a lead when in public and kept confined to an enclosure from which he could not escape when not confined by a lead.

So here are all of these people, with plenty of dog experience, relating their experiences. Why bother flying in Stillwell and other people who have not only never met the dog but have already publicly stated their own biases about the case?

demozthenes fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 13, 2012

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

One Eyed Daruma posted:

Oh good lord, what is it with me and flatulent animals lately?

This has been bugging me too, but recently I have begun to suspect that my housemate is the flatulent one and just blaming my dogs. They only seem to fart in the evening when she's around and never when we're hanging out in my home office during the day or when we go over to my girlfriend's house. I am not sure how to investigate this further though so it may have to remain a suspicion.

In the opposite direction, George and I were training last night and for one of the exercises the subject was sitting on the ground behind a boulder. When he found her he started licking her face and she told me that he has sweet-smelling breath. Ah, dog people. :allears:

Lefty Lugubrious posted:

Have any of you ever given your dogs an IQ test? I was re-reading some of my favorite Hyperbole and a Half posts and got ~~inspired~~.
This is the one I used.

I had way too much fun playing with that last night. George aced everything I was able to do in one night, and I know he'd pass some of the other ones like the observational learning test. I was a little surprised because I knew he was smart but I didn't realize he was that smart, particularly because he spends a lot of his down time as the dog version of :downs:. He literally scored as high as possible in every problem though. I have a dog genius.

The heelers weren't quite as successful but they all scored above average. Mostly they had problems with the manipulation/obstacle exercises, because they all wanted to just bull through them. One of them totally failed the "blanket over the head" test but I think that was not necessarily an indication of his intelligence since our favorite game is for me to throw a blanket over him and poke him through it while he growls and rolls around and play-bites at the invisible monster. He just thought we were playing. :3:

The only exception was my 200 year old dog Susie who spent most of the tests staring at me then grumbling and lying down. But then I gave her the treats anyway because I felt bad for making my poor old dog jump through hoops like that, so maybe she's actually the smartest of all of them. :monocle:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

demozthenes posted:

Honestly I'm surprised they allowed third-party evaluations at all - it's just opening the system up to more abuse like what we've seen from Lennox's owners, dragging the case out for years and costing the city more and more and more money while the ensuing media circus whips itself into a frenzy sending threats and pouring gasoline into city councilpersons' home mail slots. Allowing one owner to bring in a slew of high-profile TV personalities to come in and argue with the dog catcher opens up a precedent to allow all future negligent owners to do this.

Nothing about this changes the fact that an unregistered, illegal dog is still an unregistered, illegal dog. I guess I'm just wondering what exactly is the point that you're trying to argue? That they should let TV show dog trainers come in and start enforcing the laws? That they should have illegally exported an illegal, unregistered animal and open the doors for every illegal, unregistered animal to be exported, again, illegally? That one brief behavioral assessment doesn't hold up against 2 years of full-time boarding with the dog?

Edit to add, here is a case summary, including some choice bits that were conveniently left out of most of the American coverage of the story:

Owners admitting to the dog warden that their dog was human-aggressive.

Dog growls at and then repeatedly lunges at the dog warden, owner agrees that they can take the dog away.

So here are all of these people, with plenty of dog experience, relating their experiences. Why bother flying in Stillwell and other people who have not only never met the dog but have already publicly stated their own biases about the case?

It wasn't just left out of American coverage of the case; I've read several articles on the BBC's site and a lot of this information either wasn't present or presented. The only way I ever heard about this case was through social media (much like Cisco or any number of other dogs), not traditional media like TV. I'm not saying that the exposure wasn't there, but it was certainly (from what I've seen here) much less the media circus as much as it was "facebook is inhabited by a bunch of people who see dogs as angels and kind of get way out of proportion angry".

Even if we accept that those details from the site you linked are true (and I'm not going to doubt their veracity because I have no way/time/inclination to follow up), I don't understand why the behavioral eval doesn't enter into the whole thing. Generally speaking in court you get two side to represent their case. Even the lovely owners have an opportunity to do that. They should be able to have third parties execute their own examinations of the dog in question because how else can they mount a successful defense otherwise? It seems like other than the lapsed registration, the primary reason for euthing the dog is that he was deemed dangerous. Sure, maybe the interaction he had with the dog catcher and other staff were bad, but given the evaluation of the dog from two highly qualified (and perhaps biased; Stillwell is certainly anti-BSL and the other evaluator's stake in this isn't obvious other than that he was hired by the family) that should probably be enough to raise doubts as to if the dog was as dangerous as the BCC's evaluator stated.

Obviously I think the hysterical responses, especially from people with no ties to the family, are out of line and unacceptable, but the family had every right to do what they did to try to get their dog back. The family wanted a fight and they certainly got one.

I guess maybe I just don't hate the people who owned the dog enough or something, but the idea of not letting people have an expert to do a behavioral eval and then the court ignoring those evals seems sort of contrary to how laws should be carried out.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Husker scored 45. I gave him a 0 for #8 without testing it, because it was too much setup and I know he is very reluctant to mess with a barrier. Also, the low table one only works if your dog's paws are smaller than his muzzle - any place he can get a paw, he can get his little skinny nose. I gave him a 3 on that one.

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

2tomorrow posted:

I had way too much fun playing with that last night. George aced everything I was able to do in one night, and I know he'd pass some of the other ones like the observational learning test. I was a little surprised because I knew he was smart but I didn't realize he was that smart, particularly because he spends a lot of his down time as the dog version of :downs:. He literally scored as high as possible in every problem though. I have a dog genius.

What kind of dog is George?

I went into it thinking "Ivan's gonna OWN this" :smug: because I'm very biased when it comes to herding dogs, but oh well. He's the popular kid at daycare, so I guess we can't have it all.

Lefty Lugubrious fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 13, 2012

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

quote:

Following the expiry of the dog's licence in September 2009 a dog warden attended the applicant's property on 11 May 2010 and observed what she thought was a Pit Bull type dog on the property. She returned with another warden to the premises later that date. The wardens spoke to a male on the premises who refused to permit the examination of the dog and told he them that if they attempted to measure the dog it would "rip their head off".

I just think the mental image of someone with a clipboard and measuring tape carefully measuring the dimensions of a dog's head to determine if it is a Pit Bull Type Dog(tm) is just the most adorable thing.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Superconsndar posted:

I just think the mental image of someone with a clipboard and measuring tape carefully measuring the dimensions of a dog's head to determine if it is a Pit Bull Type Dog(tm) is just the most adorable thing.

"Its head is approximately a rectangle, this MUST BE IT."

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

wtftastic posted:

"Its head is approximately a rectangle, this MUST BE IT."

Oh hell, Balen's a pit bull too then. He's not loving on those children, he's tasting them :(

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
It was 97F in my area yesterday at 12:30 pm. I was on my way home from the lab and I saw a dude jogging with a small-ish dog. I got a little closer, and noticed that it was a fat bulldog. I was like :psyduck: of all the worst ideas...

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Lefty Lugubrious posted:

What kind of dog is George?

I went into it thinking "Ivan's gonna OWN this" :smug: because I'm very biased when it comes to herding dogs, but oh well. He's the popular kid at daycare, so I guess we can't have it all.

He's a German Shepherd.

I think herding dogs basically have Asperger's. Think about it. They're hyper focused on one particular job/activity, many of them struggle with social interactions (though apparently not Ivan) and get a bit lost when it comes to anything outside of their job and normal routine. They're smart, it's just channeled in very specific ways that they obsessively pursue. Sounds like :spergin: to me.

edit: Also, I think George has a bit of an unfair advantage because a lot of the training and work we do is specifically teaching him to think about problems and figure out ways around him. He has a natural aptitude for it but I think that training reinforces it. I wonder if he would have done so well if we'd done the test 6 months ago.

2tomorrow fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 13, 2012

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Oh hell, Balen's a pit bull too then. He's not loving on those children, he's tasting them :(

And they are at just the right height for him too.

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

2tomorrow posted:

I think herding dogs basically have Asperger's. Think about it. They're hyper focused on one particular job/activity, many of them struggle with social interactions (though apparently not Ivan) and get a bit lost when it comes to anything outside of their job and normal routine. They're smart, it's just channeled in very specific ways that they obsessively pursue. Sounds like :spergin: to me.

Yep, I think you're right.

I don't honestly think herding dogs are always superior in intelligence to other dogs, I just like them best.... That's right, I'm partial to the Aspie dogs. (Oh jeez, what does that say about meeee :ohdear:)

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Couldn't that also go for hounds since they're so focused on one thing (following scents) and are often so obnoxiously talky?

(also I apologize if this got posted more than once, phone app is being screwy)

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Here is how to tell if it's a Pitt Bull: 1)Is it's head overly large? 2)Does it seem to weigh about the same as a sack of bricks? 3)Does it use this large, sack-of-brick head to smash you about the gut and/or face?

If you answered yes to these questions, then congratulations! It's a Pitt Bull!

Also, there was a pit/lab mix at work today. She had a very pitt-like face, but unfortunately had the intelligence of a Lab. A show Lab.

So dumb.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Pitttttttt.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Pittbull.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Brad Pitt has a lot to answer for. If there were no Brad Pitt there would be no misspellings of 'Pit Bull'. Delete Brad Pitt.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

haha my bad. Super(:v:)tired from a long day at work.

Also if I had a pit bull, there's only one name I could give it. Brad Pitt Bull. :colbert:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The dangerous Brad Pittbull, an hour or so prior to attacking a small child and ruining her life forever.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The dangerous Brad Pittbull, an hour or so prior to attacking a small child and ruining her life forever.

If I find Brad Pittbull attractive, am I a furry?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

If I find Brad Pittbull attractive, am I a furry?

Well, maybe a necrophiliac. However, from this angle:

I'd say he's a real animal in bed, so yeah, you're a furry. I'm sorry.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Well, maybe a necrophiliac. However, from this angle:

I'd say he's a real animal in bed, so yeah, you're a furry. I'm sorry.

Way to go. You posted too many Brad Pittbull pics and got the whole subforum changed to Penis Land. I hope you're proud of yourself.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Women who post about pets on the internet all day. It was always Penis Land.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I'm no woman. I'm a MAN. With my OWN penis. I don't need Brad Pittbull's penis. :mad:

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Superconsndar posted:

It was always Penis Land.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Bash Ironfist posted:

I'm no woman. I'm a MAN. With my OWN penis. I don't need Brad Pittbull's penis. :mad:

Hey baby, wanna touch my fat cock? :smug:

NNnggghhh it's big and hard

:gizz:

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Well that'll look terrific on my work browsing history, hmm.

In unrelated news, a local magazine is having us write an article about the whole Lennox debacle, so thank you for the good references earlier. I'm getting credited as a co-author for doing the research, so yay!

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

My step-brother and his girlfriend drove down from The North for a visit. Apparently, they wanted to escape their balmy 73 degree weather for something more scorching.

They brought their flashy Bengal kitten with them.

I was all poised for a photoshoot.

But then he got curious.

After determining I had a camera, he decided to perform for me instead of sitting still for a proper shot.

I took a break to get a snack and he was all, "Uh, where the hell do you think you're going? I had your undivided attention, you can't just walk away." and jumped up next to me to check out the party fare.

Then my dog started barking at him like a maniac "CATS ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THE COUNTER YOU ARE BREAKING THE RULES. ALERT ALERT ALERT WE HAVE A RULE BREAKER HERE" and Tyson (the flashy Bengal) was like, "Dude. Chill."

You can't really tell from my crappy photography, but his markings are a bronze on white. I've never seen that coloration before.

Lefty Lugubrious fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 14, 2012

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Lefty Lugubrious posted:

You can't really tell from my crappy photography, but his markings are a bronze on white. I've never seen that coloration before.

He's a lynx point snow Bengal. I have one of those too, best cats in the world. :)

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Well that IS a very pretty catte! :3:

But...is that catte as cute as THIS:

:colbert:

Edit: Hittin' with the double-whammy of black pawpad and lower lip.

edit 2: Vvv :( but he hardly ever eats poop now!

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 14, 2012

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Bash Ironfist posted:

Edit: Hittin' with the double-whammy of black pawpad and lower lip.

That flat faced poop gobbler of a 'dog' doesn't even hold a candle to the Bengal kitten in cuteness. Sorry bro.

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

Topoisomerase posted:

He's a lynx point snow Bengal. I have one of those too, best cats in the world. :)

They are pretty awesome. They have such huge personalities. My mother has a marbled bengal; he enjoys drinking out of the faucet and eventually figured out to turn it on himself, though he's never considerate enough to turn it off when he's done.

Bash Ironfist posted:

Well, one is cute but the other is MAGESTIC.

Lefty Lugubrious fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Please enjoy this offering of interspecies snuggling.

• Locked thread