Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

marxmanncc posted:

I like android but I did not like the limited market that was placed on the kindle fire. Amazon crapped on a decent platform with that plus you can't use it while it charges

I don't think that you can really say that the kindle is going to give you the android experience though. Although unfortunately, most people will see it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Palpatine MD posted:

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting my fiance and me a Nexus 7 for general use around the house. Noob question: how easy is it to use an Android tablet as shared device with multiple Google/Facebook/etc accounts?

There's no user profile on the device as a whole like you would have in Windows. You can add multiple Google accounts but you'll have to actively switch betwen them in GMail / Market and you'll be able to read each other's email and such. Facebook and other apps/sites you would have to log out/in each time.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Jensen posted:

This thread is much better or stick to Reddit posts where the useful information gets voted to the top. Value your time.

The thing about reddit is image memes can hit the front page. I wouldn't say its the best place for useful information either. Also the Android subreddit is usually filled with uninformative fanboy bullshit.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Palpatine MD posted:

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting my fiance and me a Nexus 7 for general use around the house. Noob question: how easy is it to use an Android tablet as shared device with multiple Google/Facebook/etc accounts?

Somebody's going to know more about this than me, but I remember reading about user profile switching being included in future versions of cyanogenmod. Maybe once cm10 hits it you'll be better off.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Anyone go to any of the stores to see if the nexus 7 is out yet? Weren't some stores reporting they would have the tablet yesterday?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Palpatine MD posted:

I haven't actually tried it, but this is the only multiple users app that I have found:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fahrbot.apps.switchme

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

Anyone go to any of the stores to see if the nexus 7 is out yet? Weren't some stores reporting they would have the tablet yesterday?

They were very shortly told by Google to stop.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
I received a UPS MyChoice e-mail from yesterday saying it would ship yesterday and arrive today. Now I check and the current deliver estimate is Monday.

Now people are reporting Gamestop is texting them their preorders are ready to pick up. Try Gamestop, kids.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Mister Fister posted:

Gamestops are handing out preorders

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Ah damnit, Gamestop seems to have a lovely return policy though.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
This is really frustrating and annoying, I have to say.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Bonxai posted:

Are there pre-orders for those up anywhere? The Transformer Infinity I mean.
I haven't noticed any. I'm pretty much committed to buying my Infinity from Amazon since I'll be using gift cards so I hope they have it on the 16th (the supposed launch day).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I dont know how google can gently caress up products launches so bad. It seems some people have picked up gamestop orders, some people have been told august7th, some people have orders en route from ups, office depots have boxes of them in the back but arn't allowed to sell them...

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

I dont know how google can gently caress up products launches so bad. It seems some people have picked up gamestop orders, some people have been told august7th, some people have orders en route from ups, office depots have boxes of them in the back but arn't allowed to sell them...

I gotta say I'm at a loss as to how this could possibly be so hosed up. I realize that there are a shitload of units that they have to move over a bunch of chain stores, but this is just bad.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I gotta say I'm at a loss as to how this could possibly be so hosed up. I realize that there are a shitload of units that they have to move over a bunch of chain stores, but this is just bad.

They should do this, send out preorders and ship to stores at the same time.

Magic!

Unless there is some legal reason or maybe they found a magnificent bug so they wont let them be sold until a patch is out.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Answering a few questions from the previous page:

Bonxai posted:

Are there pre-orders for those up anywhere? The Transformer Infinity I mean.
No, apparently ASUS is asking stores not to accept preorders for some reason? But you can keep your eye on http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/tablets/asus/tf700/

Palpatine MD posted:

Android does not have any support for account separation / profiles. You CAN add multiple accounts to a device, so as long as you and your fiance trust each other to have access to each other's Google accounts, you're good to go. If you'd rather not set it up that way, your only other option right now is to create a new shared Google account and use that.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Quandary posted:

I have a pending transaction for mine, it appears that's the same for everyone?

When you order something from the internet or even sometimes at places like gas stations, an authorization charge is put on the card to make sure it's valid. The charge drops off, usually within a couple days. For more information, contact your credit card provider.

As with most places on the internet, you get charged when an order ships.

There's also a link to this info on on the Nexus 7 product page
http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2506344&topic=2451685&ctx=topic

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Quandary posted:

This is really frustrating and annoying, I have to say.

Yeah, I'm pretty annoyed. I'm wondering why I paid $14 shipping AND tax when i could have pre-ordered from Gamestop a few days later and had it today and not paid shipping.

Not to mention that I paid $14 for two day shipping and they are apparently shipping them out on a Friday which renders the 2 day shipping moot.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Google has really punted this one into the stands. What is the hold up?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I don't see how this is a "gently caress up" ... all Google ever said was "mid-July". They could certainly communicate better though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

teethgrinder posted:

I don't see how this is a "gently caress up" ... all Google ever said was "mid-July". They could certainly communicate better though.

Yes, Google didn't break any promises about when you were getting them (yet).

However, they failed to disclose any retail partners for this thing when they initially announced it and led everyone to believe the only way to get it was through the play store.

Then, a few days later, we find out Gamestop will be taking pre-orders for them as well. Already, that makes it $14 cheaper since you don't pay for shipping. But fine, we'll put up with that since we pre-ordered days before and should presumably get them first, as soon as they are available.

Well, now we find out that Gamestop got their shipments in and are now allowing their pre-orders to be picked up while Google remains completely mum on any details about when we should be expecting them leaving all of us to wonder why we pre-ordered with Google in the first place and what our $14 is going towards.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
From Futureshop (Canada)
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...2528dc46336en02

Pre-Orders: Estimated release date: 08/10/2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Don Lapre posted:

They should do this, send out preorders and ship to stores at the same time.

Eh, shipping to stores ahead of time is pretty much standard procedure. The chaos is down to doing this whilst not having a concrete sell date to consumers/retailers ahead of time.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Already, that makes it $14 cheaper

You forgot sales tax. So no, not really.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

rotaryfun posted:

Google charges sales tax in most (all?) states.

The confusion arises, like someone said, because people thought the Play Store would be the initial exclusive carrier of the tablet because they did not mention a thing about any retailer. Gamestop releasing them before Play orders have received any notification is definitely frustrating.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Siroc posted:

Google charges sales tax in most (all?) states.

Correct. Google charged me PA sales tax just as Gamestop would have.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Why do you guys put up with this poo poo... :smith:

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
If I had to guess, ASUS could be having trouble with the supply yields, with Google's (relatively) higher hardware standards aggravating that further. For a while I thought ASUS were artificially constraining supply with the Transformer series, but the "vague release date, followed by low stock" pattern has happened so regularly with their products that perhaps that really is the extent of their supply chain.

In which case the answer to "what was the point of pre-ordering" is "because there's going to a massive shortage of them whilst the Kindle Fire 2 followed by the iPad Mini swallow its demand/sales".

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 13, 2012

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Why do you guys put up with this poo poo... :smith:

I thought I'd be a Good Guy and provide my money to Google, but I guess that didn't help in the end. Dicks.

This is infuriating.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

BoyBlunder posted:

I thought I'd be a Good Guy and provide my money to Google, but I guess that didn't help in the end. Dicks.

This is infuriating.

Are you being serious?

This isn't the end of the world. This is a release of a frugal electronic device that most of you already have in some shape. To be all up in arms over a pre-order anything is dumb.

Pre-ordering doesn't mean that you get it before anyone else. And if you've ever ordered any sort of game from game stop in this method, then you know you've always been able to get the game same day from (insert random consumer store) without worrying about it.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rotaryfun posted:

Some of us are paying sales tax either way.
Shipping (Two Day Shipping): $13.99
Tax: $23.34

NY. I'd rather walk to gamestop and grab one and save the $14 and have it today/tomorrow/Sunday than what we Google Play Pre-orderers are experiencing.

edit: That $14 is most of the cost of a protective case.

vvvv yea, what that guy said vvvv

rock2much fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 13, 2012

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

I just wish there was more clarity surrounding the event. I'm a little disappointed, but infuriated isn't the right word.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
I preordered it from the play store on the 30th, and haven't gotten dick like most other people who preordered it from the play store. Sure, I'm a bit annoyed about people getting it from Gamestop and whatnot, but so what. People are taking it to the extreme, and there was one guy talking about legal action over on XDA.

It's normal to be a bit pissed, but if you're foaming at the mouth over this and thinking about legal action, there are some deep seated issues at play there.

If it doesn't come by the end of July, then I'll get pissed. Until then it's only a minor annoyance.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Part of my annoyance is paying for two day shipping over something that's (apparently) shipping out Friday. Standard UPS Ground would have likely gotten it to me by Monday under these circumstances.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Part of my annoyance is paying for two day shipping over something that's (apparently) shipping out Friday. Standard UPS Ground would have likely gotten it to me by Monday under these circumstances.

If you knew ground was one day shipping from where they ship from why did you pay for 2 day, it doesn't really matter if its over the weekend or not.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

If you knew ground was one day shipping from where they ship from why did you pay for 2 day, it doesn't really matter if its over the weekend or not.

Two day was the only shipping option given.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

spidoman posted:

I haven't actually tried it, but this is the only multiple users app that I have found:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fahrbot.apps.switchme
SwitchMe does some funky stuff with your files and reboots the phone to switch profiles. I wouldn't say it's the most ideal solution.

It'd be nice if somebody made a real secure container program - I'd love to be able to connect to my work email, safe in the knowledge that a remote wipe would only kill my work emails/calendars :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

BoyBlunder posted:

This is infuriating.

You're hilarious.

If you think this is worth more than a "hrmph", there is something wrong in your world.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
As is normal with things like this, it isn't the issue itself that creates the "crisis," it's the corporate communication that defines the situation. It's not the problem that people remember, but the response to the problem. By leaving everyone in the dark and not communicating with their customer's, Google is throwing away consumer confidence in them.

I pre-ordered within the first few hours, and have heard jack. I don't care when it arrives. Sure I'm a little disappointed that people are getting theirs first. But what's hosed that I'm hearing nothing from google even though they're shipping to retailers. This is a product that's generated excitement, people have pre-ordered; you feed those people information about their order.

Google still has options to turn this around. An email to people that pre-ordered would be a good start. But they can also shoot themselves in the foot here.

When Google releases their next big thing, will pre-order customers remember being left in the dark while everyone else got their new toys first? Or they remember that there were some mix-ups with shipping, but Google made it up to them with good communication and that there was a value to pre-order.

Edit: eh, writing from my phone. The tone reads kinda harsh, but I'm not re-writing. This shouldn't come across as upset. I work in PR, and am far more interested in the way G is handling this than I am upset about when my toy arrives

stormrider fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
Agreed, Google has botched this launch. Checked a few places around town:

Gamestop -- only selling reserved ones.
Staples -- getting them on the 19th, already sold out of presold ones
Office Depot -- Preorders starting Sunday, don't know when they get in.

A little bit of consistency would have been nice. An official release date, some sort of "preorder by" date, anything would have been nice. Would have liked to have known so I could have preordered at Gamestop, but now I have to wait for the second wave. As was said above, this lack of communication is what has people upset more than anything else.

I'm not mad or anything, as I have many other things to do over the next couple of weeks, but Google will need to figure out how to successfully launch a product if they want to beat out Apple and such in the long run.