Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Silly question, but are there any websites that sell Top Gear related licence plate frames? I've been having a tough time finding any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiskey
Feb 8, 2004

Back with another one of those block rockin' BEATS
You could go to the mall and have one made at one of those little kiosks.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
I'm guessing that the real reason is that they are budget strapped, and short of fresh ideas. Last season was pretty much piss poor, from the India special, to the two episodes that recycled material from the DVD and the PR fluff piece for the Sweeny. They need the break before they end up killing the show.

G-Dub
Dec 28, 2004

The Gonz

Jut posted:

I'm guessing that the real reason is that they are budget strapped, and short of fresh ideas. Last season was pretty much piss poor, from the India special, to the two episodes that recycled material from the DVD and the PR fluff piece for the Sweeny. They need the break before they end up killing the show.

The real reason Simon Cowell does X-Factor is because Top Gear has ran out of ideas?

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

G-Dub posted:

The real reason Simon Cowell does X-Factor is because Top Gear has ran out of ideas?

x-factor has nothing to do with it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Has James been up to anything new recently? I loved his science and engineering related specials like the moon landing special, man lab, etc.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Jeremy Clarkson posted something exciting on twitter:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sinestro posted:

Jeremy Clarkson posted something exciting on twitter:

Clarkson will probably be in the Ferrari FF. Isn't that the latest greatest GT car?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Clarkson will probably be in the Ferrari FF. Isn't that the latest greatest GT car?

They would never race a Ferrari in one of these long distance super races as it would lose every time to reliability and having to stop every 15 minutes to refuel.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ColHannibal posted:

They would never race a Ferrari in one of these long distance super races as it would lose every time to reliability and having to stop every 15 minutes to refuel.

They already did, 612 scaglietti to switzerland.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Also the 599 or California or whatever across Romania. Not a race, but similar distances.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Driving through London during the middle of the Olympics, dodging SAM sites :)

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It's about time they visit Poland, baltics and Russia. City SUV challenge on horrible polish and russian roads.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

alex314 posted:

It's about time they visit Poland, baltics and Russia. City SUV challenge on horrible polish and russian roads.

Moscow to Magadan in City SUV's in less time than the Trans Siberian Railroad would make my wildest dreams come true.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

Moscow to Magadan in City SUV's in less time than the Trans Siberian Railroad would make my wildest dreams come true.

Should any of their new cars fail, they could switch to some tried Soviet/Russian design from Gaz. Also there NEEDS to be Lada Niva somewhere in the challenge! :)

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

alex314 posted:

Should any of their new cars fail, they could switch to some tried Soviet/Russian design from Gaz. Also there NEEDS to be Lada Niva somewhere in the challenge! :)

UAZ or bust.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Preoptopus posted:

Isn't that a 6-8 week drive?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Sweevo posted:

Isn't that a 6-8 week drive?

The train does it in 6 days 4 hours according to wikipedia. Google maps estimate 119 hours drive, so it would be hard to make it entertaining - not enough time for funny detours even if they would do with minimal amount of rest..

Interesting tidbit - it's almost 4000 miles in straight line between Moscow and Vladivostok, and you can travel it in mentioned above time.
To travel from Vladivostok to Pyongyang another 435 miles takes additional 2 days and 22 hours!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That would be boring as poo poo. And they wouldn't be able to make it unless they all had the same car and drove in shifts, which would be even more boring.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

You Am I posted:

Driving through London during the middle of the Olympics, dodging SAM sites :)

not a race so much as a challenge; how far can you get down the M4/A4 Olympic lane before you get fined. In the slowest road legal vehicle possible.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 13, 2012

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They did "Can we get further through Vietnam than the US Army?", so perhaps "Can we get further than Napoleon into Russia?" (driving French cars) would work. Or Hitler, using German vehicles (the latter challenge being comprehensively broken by May who, pointing out that Hitler was Austrian, turns up in a Pinzgauer).

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

InitialDave posted:

They did "Can we get further through Vietnam than the US Army?", so perhaps "Can we get further than Napoleon into Russia?" (driving French cars) would work. Or Hitler, using German vehicles (the latter challenge being comprehensively broken by May who, pointing out that Hitler was Austrian, turns up in a Pinzgauer).

You could further break that by pointing out that Pinzgauers are now made by a British company.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

alex314 posted:

Interesting tidbit - it's almost 4000 miles in straight line between Moscow and Vladivostok, and you can travel it in mentioned above time.
To travel from Vladivostok to Pyongyang another 435 miles takes additional 2 days and 22 hours!

Largely because you have to spend like a day and a half at the border while they lift all the carriages off their trucks and transfer them to NK's proprietary gauge.

I'm on a phone, someone else post that photoblog of the guy who took the train from like Vienna to Pyongyang.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Data Graham posted:

I'm on a phone, someone else post that photoblog of the guy who took the train from like Vienna to Pyongyang.

http://vienna-pyongyang.blogspot.com/

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So, apparently there's 16 seasons of top gear on netflix, what are your guys favorite episodes? I usually just watch the show when it's on TV and have no familiarity with the show other than enjoying watching it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Vivec posted:

So, apparently there's 16 seasons of top gear on netflix, what are your guys favorite episodes? I usually just watch the show when it's on TV and have no familiarity with the show other than enjoying watching it.

The Porsche challenge (S5E6) and the Italian mid-engined supercars for less than a second-hand Mondeo challenge (S7E4) are my two favorites easily.

The Cheap coups that aren't Porsches challenge (S6E2) is also really good but not as spectacular as the other two. Worth watching for James May essentially demolition-derbying a V12 Jaguar XJS.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
Undoubtedly the Vietnam / Polar specials, as well as the Amphibious Cars challenge.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Vivec posted:

Just watch them all.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

"Can we get further than Napoleon into Russia?" (driving French cars)

I vote for this.

Fixing French electronics with backwoods Russian assistance? Comedy gold right there.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Just watch them all.
eventually.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Season 9 episode 3 The first USA special. Cow-mero, Moroso motorsports park (which is now the much more posh-sounding "Palm Beach International Raceway". Attacked by rednecks and falling in love with american cars they bought (which i havent seen them do on any other "cheap car" special.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Season 10 is by far my favorite. The first "Best Driving Road in the World" challenge and them driving a diesel BMW in an endurance race.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

(which i havent seen them do on any other "cheap car" special)

Oliver?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Vivec posted:

The polar special, all of season 10, and the south american special (s14e6) are all great.

EDIT: The Economy race (s12e4)

EDIT 2: Attempting to destroy the hilux (s3 e5 and 6)

EDIT 3: Amphibious cars challenge (already been mentioned, but S8e3 and s10e2)

EDIT 4: The race to the north (train vs motorcycle vs car, s13e1)

EDIT 5: Ok, this is getting stupid. I'd just watch it straight through. The first few seasons aren't great, so if you wanted to start on season 3-5, that would be ok, but I'd just start from the beginning. That way you have more to look forward to, instead of just cherry picking the best episodes.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 14, 2012

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Just saw this link posted on facebook by topgear.com I would totally want a new MG.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/mg-le50-first-drive-2012-07-13

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

alex314 posted:

They could use traditional Russian vehicles likes these ones I've found from EnglishRussia.com

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I scrolled through those and thought, "Clarkson, May, and Hammond" in that order for your first three pics.

It's like the three bears; large, medium, and retarded.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Vivec posted:

Either start with the 1st season or never watch it at all.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You're not allowed to appreciate the awesomeness of the British Leyland challenge or the 24h BMW diesel race until you've sat through a year of Jason Dawe and Richard Hammond talking about used car prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Are the Top Gear episodes on netflix the full uncut 1 hour versions with the original music?