Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

FLX posted:

EDIT: Updated the OP with new stuff from the thread and decluttered it also a little here and there. lord funk's TC-11 is finally in the OP as well, sorry it took so long!

A few suggestions for the OP:

1. Hokusai is good for recording as well as editing, and I'd guess most people would be happier with it over FourTrack.

2. Multitrack DAW should be in the sequencers and DAWs list.

3. DM1 should be added to the instruments list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

hypersleep posted:

A few suggestions for the OP:

1. Hokusai is good for recording as well as editing, and I'd guess most people would be happier with it over FourTrack.

2. Multitrack DAW should be in the sequencers and DAWs list.

3. DM1 should be added to the instruments list.

Done. I totally forgot about DM1. I also added Camel Audio's Alchemy Synth Mobile to the instruments and MIDI Designer to the control surfaces.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

FLX posted:

EDIT: Updated the OP with new stuff from the thread and decluttered it also a little here and there. lord funk's TC-11 is finally in the OP as well, sorry it took so long!

Thanks! In related news, I'm hoping to wrap up the 1.5 update today. More presets, background audio processing, better sequencers, and tons of fixes that will make patch programming better. I'll make some noise when it finally comes out. :)

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Intua posted a feature list for the upcoming BeatMaker 2.3 update on their forum:

Intua posted:

Hi everybody,

We are proud to announce BeatMaker 2.3. We're almost done with beta-testing, so it should not be long before we submit it to Apple. The update is FREE for every BeatMaker 2 customers. Here's the list:

New features
►Audio tracks with disk streaming support
►Support for USB class audio interfaces on iPad via Camera Connection Kit
►Record up to 8 audio tracks simultaneously (current iOS limitation)
►Gain and noise gate on audio inputs
►Sample drag'n'drop on drum machine via "Quick Load" feature
►Event recording is now allowed anywhere in the app
►Patterns can be dragged directly on the song editor
►Sample streaming in drum and keyboard samplers (samples are not loaded in RAM)
►Automatic audition of samples in browser
►New auto-loop mode for pads (quantized)
►Revamped iPod Library import
►Sustain pedal is now supported in the keyboard sampler and is editable in the pattern editor
►Keyboard sampler now supports layers
►Revamped sampler mapping editor
►Retina graphic content for the 3rd generation iPad
►Receive MIDI clock messages for tempo synchronization
►App Settings: Added OMNI and input clock
►More automatizable parameters: Auto-pan sync and sync toggle / Effects bypass / LFO sync rate / Invert ADSR / Tune, Fine-Tune / Filter key / Pads reverse and mute / Mixer track mute and solo / Sustain pedal

Improvements and bug fixes
►Fix crash when resetting auto-scale on an empty pads
►Fix noise when looping very small samples
►Fix issue with installing BeatMaker 1 'bmkz' files
►Fix sampling rate issue with some accessories (ie. Apple Digital AV Adapter)
►Fix behavior of MIDI virtual input ports
►Install BMKZ kits when using Dropbox
►Other minor fixes and engine improvements
►Update to Dropbox SDK v1.2.2
►Improve preset/projects file format (quicker load/save)

Despite some of BeatMaker's more obvious drawbacks (no real send effects, some effects aren't that great, etc), I'm impressed with its consistently expanding feature set.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

I just came across Voice Band that lets you create songs by converting your voice into instrument tracks. Check out this awkward promo video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJwYG2W-ccQ

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Why do NanoStudio fans constantly bash BeatMaker 2's effects? They're really not that bad compared to NS's. NS has a better EQ, but other than that, BM2's effects are pretty decent. Yeah, you can always have a better reverb, but NS's reverb is nothing special either.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

:woop: New Figure update

quote:

What's new

• Save, browse and load song files
• Set length of loop (1,2,4,8 bars)
• Export audio to iTunes File Sharing
• Better recording. Tap record and then draw on the pad to start your recording. Or just press Play.
• Performance and bug fixes

EDIT: It also features an optional name generator for your songs :haw:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Awesome news, still hoping for WIST support but I wasn't expecting any updates outside of IAP sample packs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Saving seems like such a minor thing but goddamn if I don't appreciate the poo poo out of having it available.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

I hope they add AudioCopy and maybe email and/or SoundCloud export. iTunes export is annoying, but better than nothing.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Is the Alesis IO Dock as horrible as the Amazon reviews make it out to be? It's exactly what I want. :(

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

Is the Alesis IO Dock as horrible as the Amazon reviews make it out to be? It's exactly what I want. :(

The online reviews on music sites seem to suggest that it's quite good. I guess the only way to know for sure is to order it and send it back if it doesn't meet your expectations.

EDIT: Here's a Sonicstate review video. I generally like their videos, even though they are sponsored sometimes I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=folGY9MRql8

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Is there any app / hardware that allows for wireless audio with next to no latency? I'm getting asked to add bluetooth audio output to my apps, but everywhere I look I read about 1/4 second and higher latency, and big variance between hardware solutions.

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

I have one at work at I love it. It's done everything I need it to do so far without any issues. I mainly use it for GarageBand and putting down simple singer/songwriter tracks. Have a midi piano plugged into it as well for laying down keyboard/organ and when I feel like messing with electronica.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Can anyone tell me if Songsterr is s good iPad purchase? I like the idea of it but $20 is pretty steep considering I can't give it a go before buying.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
The price seems to fluctuate a lot. I'd suggest waiting for it to drop in price, I paid around 5$ for it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Olivil posted:

The price seems to fluctuate a lot. I'd suggest waiting for it to drop in price, I paid around 5$ for it.

I ended up getting it. It's definitely lacking in songs but at least I can avoid sifting through hundreds of poo poo tabs. Definitely only worth <5

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

Abel Wingnut posted:

It's actually really good. Most of the negative reviews are from when iOS5 first appeared - the early versions of it totally broke the iO Dock's functionality, and neither Apple nor Alesis were particularly helpful or forthcoming regarding if/when the needed updates would arrive. Luckily, that's all been resolved now.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Are there any good synthesizer Apps that feature MIDI in and out? I.e. when I play them with the onscreen keyboard, they also transmit the MIDI values out.

I'd like to record the notes into my MPC sequencer and then play them back again into the iPad synth.

Edit: VVVVV Thanks, that's exactly what I want :)

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 12, 2012

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

FLX posted:

Are there any good synthesizer Apps that feature MIDI in and out? I.e. when I play them with the onscreen keyboard, they also transmit the MIDI values out.

I'd like to record the notes into my MPC sequencer and then play them back again into the iPad synth.

I don't know much about MIDI, but NLog Synth Pro might be what you're looking for:

quote:

Supports external MIDI input and output via Line6' Midi Mobilizer 1&2 interfaces, Akai's SynthStation25, Alesis' iO Dock, IK Multimedia's iRig MIDI, iKingdom's iConnectMIDI and Core MIDI USB with Camera Connection Kit & any class compliant USB MIDI interface.

Full features page

hypersleep fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 12, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anxiously awaiting Ninja Jamm.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

There are a bunch of apps that will render to AAC/M4A, but I can't find anything that can render to MP3. Is there anything? Or even a website that you can upload a WAV to that will spit out an MP3?

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

FLX posted:

For a non-app specific hardware option, the IK Multimedia's iRig MIDI has midi thru.

Or if you have a MPC 1000 or 2500 with JJOS, you can hook up the controller to the MPC and soft thru a MPC midi out to the ipad midi in. This is how I've been doing things recently and my quality of life has skyrocketed.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

illBilliam posted:

For a non-app specific hardware option, the IK Multimedia's iRig MIDI has midi thru.

Or if you have a MPC 1000 or 2500 with JJOS, you can hook up the controller to the MPC and soft thru a MPC midi out to the ipad midi in. This is how I've been doing things recently and my quality of life has skyrocketed.

The MPC 500 also has MIDI soft thru, but I don't want to carry a MIDI keyboard around. If the iPad synth app would send MIDI, as well as receive it, then I could just record the notes into the MPC using the onscreen keyboard, which is still better than using the pads most of the time.

hypersleep posted:

There are a bunch of apps that will render to AAC/M4A, but I can't find anything that can render to MP3. Is there anything? Or even a website that you can upload a WAV to that will spit out an MP3?
There is http://media.io/, but I haven't found an app for that yet either.

EDIT: I found a better website for mp3 conversion, that works on iOS, using iCabMobile's upload feature: http://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-mp3. I'm putting this in the OP.

EDIT 2: iCab can also upload files to Tindeck by the way.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 13, 2012

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

FLX posted:

There is http://media.io/, but I haven't found an app for that yet either.

EDIT: I found a better website for mp3 conversion, that works on iOS, using iCabMobile's upload feature: http://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-mp3. I'm putting this in the OP.

Thanks a ton for that link. I can use Multitrack DAW to encode WAV downmixes to 256kbps AAC/M4A, but some DJs demand 320 MP3.

It would be great if someone came out with an app that was essentially the LAME encoder and a tag editor in one. The problem with including LAME in an app is that LAME is released under the GPL, and, if I haven't misunderstood the language, any software made using it must also be released under the GPL, which app store rules collide with. I'm sure a LAME encoder app exists for Android, though. Maybe I should consider getting a Nexus 7 tablet for things iOS has problems with...

Side note: iCab is ridiculously useful in so many instances. It's pretty much thanks to iCab and GoodReader that I can use my iPad as my primary device.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

hypersleep posted:

Thanks a ton for that link. I can use Multitrack DAW to encode WAV downmixes to 256kbps AAC/M4A, but some DJs demand 320 MP3.

It would be great if someone came out with an app that was essentially the LAME encoder and a tag editor in one. The problem with including LAME in an app is that LAME is released under the GPL, and, if I haven't misunderstood the language, any software made using it must also be released under the GPL, which app store rules collide with. I'm sure a LAME encoder app exists for Android, though. Maybe I should consider getting a Nexus 7 tablet for things iOS has problems with...

Side note: iCab is ridiculously useful in so many instances. It's pretty much thanks to iCab and GoodReader that I can use my iPad as my primary device.

UPDATE: I can't get any WAV to encode. It just throws up unhelpful error messages. I'll shoot a message at the email contact and see what's up.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

hypersleep posted:

UPDATE: I can't get any WAV to encode. It just throws up unhelpful error messages. I'll shoot a message at the email contact and see what's up.

Hmm, that sucks. Maybe the WAV file was too big? I tried it with short samples and loops and it worked.

EDIT: Tried a WAV to 320 MP3 conversion with a 29MB WAV from Studio.HD and it also worked. Maybe Multitrack DAW does something weird to its WAV files?

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jul 13, 2012

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
Ok so I've playing with figure a lot and I'm loving it. The main problem I have with it is that your entire " song" is at most, 8 bars. I kind of make longer stuff when I'm not recording, but in the end to save it it has to be 1 2 4 or 8 bars. So basically, is there a way to make longer songs, but in a similar way to how figure kind of lets you just play around with it. I assume it would have to have a sort of track interface, but I dunno.

Basically, I love I figure but I want to be able to make longer stuff with it. Is there a logical next step?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can almost do it in Figure by loading a new track, but there's a slight hitch when tapping songs in the file browser that ruins it.

iKaossilator is much, much better at it as you can tap individual parts from saved songs to play pices on demand.. which allows you to compose songs if you want. Can't automate the play but it gets you closer to songwriting than Figure does.

But neither app really tries to be a sequencer. They're more of a jam/performance type deal.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

ambushsabre posted:

Basically, I love I figure but I want to be able to make longer stuff with it. Is there a logical next step?

Until they implement Audiocopy, there's not much you can do in the pad. I would say the best thing to do would be to dump phrases to your favorite sampler (mpc/live/foo) and build from there.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Good to read some positive reviews of the iO dock. Are you guys using the iPad 3? If not, are there Any known problems coupling the iPad 3 with the iO dock?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Anyone know what's up with Animoog? I posted about it a few pages back, and it's still not working. I've uninstalled and re-installed a few times, and I can't get it to work. It's my favorite iPad app, so it's driving me nuts I can't use it.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Chainclaw posted:

Anyone know what's up with Animoog? I posted about it a few pages back, and it's still not working. I've uninstalled and re-installed a few times, and I can't get it to work. It's my favorite iPad app, so it's driving me nuts I can't use it.

Have you written an email to their support explaining your problem? Animoog runs fine on my iPad 1 & 3 with the latest iOS.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm new to the whole iPad music making thing (been doing it for years and years on PC/Mac). Yesterday, one of my bosses at work showed me all of the stuff he's got on his iPad 3, and it pretty much sold me on the whole thing. Some people have been saying to not bother with 3 and just get a 2. Thoughts? I know there's a significant price difference, but I'd rather be not as limited, and have a really (relatively) powerful machine to work on away from home, or in addition to my studio.

So, basically, my question is, is the iPad 3 REALLY a big enough upgrade to the 2 to justify paying for it, or does the 2 pretty much take care of anything I would need? For reference I do mostly sound design (but also some music composition) and run Logic Studio at home,so Garageband is definitely appealing to me, as well as Alchemy.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, basically, my question is, is the iPad 3 REALLY a big enough upgrade to the 2 to justify paying for it, or does the 2 pretty much take care of anything I would need? For reference I do mostly sound design (but also some music composition) and run Logic Studio at home,so Garageband is definitely appealing to me, as well as Alchemy.

The processing power of the iPad 3 is only supposed to be marginally better, so an iPad 2 should definitely be good enough for music stuff. The new iPad's screen is really really amazing though. Whatever you choose, make sure you get the 32GB or 64GB version though, because the Apps keep getting bigger and bigger in file size, especially now with the hi-res retina assets.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

The main difference between the 2 and the 3 is the screen. If you never intend to do anything else but run music apps, you'd probably never miss the features on the 3. If you're going to be reading on your iPad or want higher resolution for games/video games the screen on the 3 is so much nicer than the screen on the 2.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bedurndurn posted:

The main difference between the 2 and the 3 is the screen. If you never intend to do anything else but run music apps, you'd probably never miss the features on the 3. If you're going to be reading on your iPad or want higher resolution for games/video games the screen on the 3 is so much nicer than the screen on the 2.

Well, I have considered using it for things like Skype, Kindle, etc... but the 2 shouldn't be impossible to use for those, is it? I don't really care that the resolution is worse, only that it's acceptable.

I'd just hate to go buy a 2, and then find out that <insert like, 12 awesome music apps> aren't available for it. If the majority/all listed in the OP are iPad 2 compatible, then I'm good.

EDIT: That being said, is there a substantial list of music apps that aren't compatible with 2?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Well, I have considered using it for things like Skype, Kindle, etc... but the 2 shouldn't be impossible to use for those, is it? I don't really care that the resolution is worse, only that it's acceptable.

I'd just hate to go buy a 2, and then find out that <insert like, 12 awesome music apps> aren't available for it. If the majority/all listed in the OP are iPad 2 compatible, then I'm good.

EDIT: That being said, is there a substantial list of music apps that aren't compatible with 2?

Well I didn't hate the resolution the 2 until I got the 3, so 'acceptable' certainly seems to be true. I am not aware of any apps that are exclusive to the 3 at the moment. From a business standpoint it would be super dumb to have your product not work on 10-15 million iPad 2s that aren't even 18 months old. That may change going forward, but I'd expect it to be at least an additional year before that starts coming up.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

FLX posted:

The processing power of the iPad 3 is only supposed to be marginally better, so an iPad 2 should definitely be good enough for music stuff. The new iPad's screen is really really amazing though. Whatever you choose, make sure you get the 32GB or 64GB version though, because the Apps keep getting bigger and bigger in file size, especially now with the hi-res retina assets.

The big challenge with this is that Apple doesn't make the iPad 2 in 32 or 64 GB anymore, which means if you want one of those filesizes, you're either going second-hand or getting an iPad 3, which I just discovered in May, buying my first iPad (and doing it with musicmaking in mind).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

So I bought Grain Science when it came out back in December but I've only recently really been messing around with it a lot. It's absolutely amazing for creating atmospheric pads and ambience. It's totally stuffed with features and options and it's all really well designed.

If you want an app that really excels at creating atmospheric sounds, get it. It's $9.99 and universal.

• Locked thread