Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
New Omar album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Surprisingly accessible, although I'm getting real tired of Omar drowning out his vocals with fuzz and distortion to that extent.

Bring back the Xenophanes-quality vocals, Omar. :(

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Volta's performance the other day got broadcast on Youtube, and it's loving awesome holy poo poo.

Seriously, that Trinkets jam might be one of the best things they've ever done.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I thought that their performance was pretty meh because Cedric was such an awful singer that night.

llibja
Sep 13, 2007

Yeah, the band sounds good but Cedric is all over the place.

Trinkets jam is probably my favorite part of the show, that and Deantoni's dirty mustache.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Deantoni was all up in the grooves. He was totally into everything he was doing.

Jives
May 1, 2011
I came across this work of art whilst trying to find that video of Omar's pedalboard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q6FBCtr8gk

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Jives posted:

I came across this work of art whilst trying to find that video of Omar's pedalboard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q6FBCtr8gk

You mean, Cedric's work of art.

He's an odd ball.

Also:

quote:

Deantoni Parks solo album coming out on July 31, 2012 on Rodriguez Lopez Productions / Sargent House - Get Ready @DeantoniParks

http://soundcloud.com/sargent-house/deantoni-parks-make-my-day

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

This is awesome

Jives
May 1, 2011

Webbeh posted:

You mean, Cedric's work of art.

He's an odd ball.

Also:

http://soundcloud.com/sargent-house/deantoni-parks-make-my-day

For real? Christ. I heard from someone that he was a scientologist, I sure hope it's not true.

That Deantoni track is amazing.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Cedric is a Scientologist.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

WASDF posted:

Cedric is a Scientologist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SKWt3vDLeA

quote:

lunarpower666 said:
@shasaki i understand your concern, but i HAVE done my research regarding scientology. to the point where i actually walked into their building to get the info straight from the horses mouth. no thank you in regards to mark bunker. if anything you should do the math. we worked with saul and juliette before i "crossed over" to the evil corporation. as far as beck being mediocre, how is that supposed to convince me that the teachings of LRH are negative in any way. careful justin meldal johnson played stand up bass on televators(guess u cant enjoy that song anymore, cuz he is a scientologist), oh no wait what about all the strings on frances the mute? cant hear that anymore either cuz that becks dad. him too? poo poo what are you going to do now. oh wait flea completed the puriff too, i guess all deloused is tainted now. WOW is right. if you cant extend the olive branch that grows from tolerance then stop supporting us. remember a little thing called mcarthyism? my "wins" your loss.

quote:

lunarpower666 said:
lets get one thing straight here people, im not going to sit here and deny any of you an opinion but i am most assuredly going to ask that you be respectful of any and all of my spiritual choices. i welcome all people from all walks of life and all beliefs. if any of u have a problem with me being a scientologist then you dont have to visit this channel or any performance that i participate in. there is a gently caress load of disinformation floating around the internet, poo poo some people believe i shoot lazers from a crystal thats lodged in my baunch(hence the high notes) but i dont see half of you falling for that poo poo. some of you need to stop sucking on the super information highways tits, cuz a lot of that milk has gone sour

Rolodex Propaganda
Oct 4, 2003

Fall in love with spines
So that's why he quit :420:. Oh Scientology, won't you just leave our musicians alone so they'll keep smoking drugs and making killer records?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

That's really disappointing.

Instantoxen
Apr 22, 2006
Cedric is crazy enough that I am surprised anyone else is surprised.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Cedric does seem to be about as judgmental and arrogant as Tom Cruise did in that Scientology video.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

"They're not a dangerous crazy cult, they told me so themselves!"

Anyway, I'm finally going to get to see At The Drive-in! Although I still think my ticket for their cancelled show 11 years ago should have got me a discount.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Junkenstein posted:

"They're not a dangerous crazy cult, they told me so themselves!"

Seriously, how can he be that dumb? He's obviously always been kinda crazy, but Scientology just seems to be exactly the kind of thing he'd see right through. It's not just some fringe crazy cult, it's a mainstream crazy cult. I wonder how Omar feels about it.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Relayer posted:

Seriously, how can he be that dumb? He's obviously always been kinda crazy, but Scientology just seems to be exactly the kind of thing he'd see right through. It's not just some fringe crazy cult, it's a mainstream crazy cult. I wonder how Omar feels about it.

Cedric is exactly the kind of person I'd expect to become entranced by Scientology. He's a great vocalist, but not the brightest bulb.

I get the feeling Omar doesn't really care that much nowadays - TMV seems to be a side project for him. It feels like he wants to get TMV projects done as soon as possible and move back to film, which seems to be his new passion. You can gather this from his quotes regarding Noctourniquet, where Omar had the album done for months and basically got each band member to finish their parts as quickly as possible (rather than interpreting and improvising, leading to improvement, a la Frances the Mute).

Plus, Omar's recent solo stuff has been really out there. And this coming from someone who loved his Ximena-era solo albums.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Webbeh posted:

Cedric is exactly the kind of person I'd expect to become entranced by Scientology. He's a great vocalist, but not the brightest bulb.

He's not really a great vocalist either. On occasion he sounds great, but he sounds like crap way way more often than a profesional singer should.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Earwicker posted:

He's not really a great vocalist either. On occasion he sounds great, but he sounds like crap way way more often than a profesional singer should.

I should have added "on his records" to that statement. Cedric has good days on tour, and then he has lots of really bad days.

I don't remember it being this bad during the Frances the Mute days. :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, he does some out of control poo poo on his albums that makes me love him as a vocalist, but in just about all recent videos I've seen of him playing with Mars Volta and At The Drive In, he sounds loving terrible. I've definitely seen some older live videos of Volta in which he sounds great, though, so maybe it's just a recent live thing? He doesn't sound bad on Noctourniquet at all, so I'd say that's probably it.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
On the vocal thing, the guy has been singing for almost 20 years in ATDI and Volta, with the first part of that spent screaming his head off. I imagine his voice just gets worn out a lot quicker than it used to. Hell, a lot of bands vocalists sound pretty rough by the end of a touring cycle.

Now someone be a dick and ask Cedric about the Scientologist episode of South Park and if Battlefield Earth is a great movie or the greatest movie.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'll do it, but how would I get it to him?

Hoof
May 17, 2009

Relayer posted:

Cedric talks about L. Ron Hubbard in front of Omar in this video. Omar doesn't say anything about it but I love how his arms are crossed and he looks away like "Oh, something's happening over here?"

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I heard he has like laser crystals in his taint and that's how he sings so well on the albums.

Ps. It doesn't really bother me that he's a scientologist any more than if he were a Christian or whatever. He believes in crazy supernatural nonsense like a large percentage of the population of Earth. Okay. Not that I don't think Scientology is really stupid, but you know what I mean.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 15, 2012

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Xenu save us all. Quick question, any new info on tours, or the lack thereof? I just checked the official website and the newest tour dates in the archive posted were from '09. Yet, these youtube videos seem recent.

Am I not operating on the correct thetan clearance level for this information?

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Moatillata posted:

Xenu save us all. Quick question, any new info on tours, or the lack thereof? I just checked the official website and the newest tour dates in the archive posted were from '09. Yet, these youtube videos seem recent.

Am I not operating on the correct thetan clearance level for this information?

http://omarrodriguezlopez.tumblr.com/post/27602916911/omar-rodriguez-lopez-group-featuring-teri-of-le

quote:

Omar Rodriguez Lopez group with special guest Teresa Suarez aka Teri Gender Bender of Le Butcherettes on Vocals for all the shows will be touring together in the EU as well as some US dates ending at Fun Fun Fun Fest in Austin (date to be announced). More shows will be added in Australia, Japan, Russia and the USA. Stay tuned.

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Group is having another tour this fall.

Funny how The Mars Volta really hasn't had a big tour for their new album. I wonder how this factors into the rumors that internally, TMV is in turmoil. :tinfoil:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Isn't TMV always in turmoil internally? They've gone through a bunch of drummers and Omar sounds like a huge pain in the rear end to work for (and I'm pretty sure if you are a musician in TMV, Omar is your boss and also probably your cousin)

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Earwicker posted:

Isn't TMV always in turmoil internally? They've gone through a bunch of drummers and Omar sounds like a huge pain in the rear end to work for (and I'm pretty sure if you are a musician in TMV, Omar is your boss and also probably your cousin)

I think that, coupled with Cedric's apathy towards contributing to the band, is much of the reason behind the recent turmoil.

http://forum.thecomatorium.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=124661

A forum insider, CUNTALOUPE, was quoted as saying:

quote:

Don't hold your breath. the band is on it's last legs. I feel like this will be their last record

Another user, Koral, expanded:

quote:

Cuntaloupe is legit. Things aren't looking good but time will tell. This isn't the first time there was a possibility of this happening.

Either way, there's still plenty of stuff from both Cedric and Omar to look forward to.

quote:

Well considering it was cuntaloupe... people should probably be taking it pretty seriously. And I can back up his claim. Nothing is set in stone (as far as I know) but that's what it's looking like right now.

quote:

Cuntaloupe isn't speculating, and neither am I. But yes I agree xpgno, nothing is set in stone especially with Omar, and like I said this isn't the first time this was supposed to happen.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Earwicker posted:

The Mars Volta is Cedric + Omar
The Mars Volta band is whoever is around them at the time.

This kinda sums it all up.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

NeuroticErotica posted:

Pretty much true but to get technical:

The Mars Volta = Cedric and Omar

The Mars Volta Group = anyone who contributes to their sound live or in the studio

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

NeuroticErotica posted:

Well sort of, there have also been ORL ensemble albums that Cedric did vocals on. (plus there was DeFacto but that project seems to have died with Ward)

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Personally, I'd be fine if Noctourniquet ended up being their final album. It's loving great.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
A good article about Omar: The Death of a Dictator.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
Oh, and Omar has a new album out.

http://hellomerch.com/sh/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=3309&flypage=flypage.tpl&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

So far, only a physical release.

e: Digital release - http://omarrodriguezlopez.bandcamp.com/album/octopus-kool-aid

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Webbeh fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 24, 2012

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Octopus Kool Aid.

Of course, it is called Octopus Kool Aid.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Happy Hippo posted:

Octopus Kool Aid.

by Om Penisrock Lopez.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Happy Hippo posted:

Octopus Kool Aid.

Omar comes out with some strange album names and song titles, but this coupled with the album art is loving bizarre :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
Despite the name, this album is a lot more accessible than his last two releases. Although it sounds a lot like Tychozorente, just with a different female lead and a lot darker.

• Locked thread