Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Mo_Steel posted:

Was wondering when we'd get to see this chestnut again. Just World Fallacy ahoy, only people that don't work hard wind up needing help in life! You can pretty easily dismiss the entire analogy by pointing out that income disparity and wealth inequality is significantly wider than 4 and 2 and that the analogy has a number of false premises meant to grab an obvious conclusion.

The last and final Facebook debate I engaged in ended when I pointed out a logical fallacy in my opponent's argument. He just accused me of trying to confuse the issue and control the conversation like a "typical liberal". Then he called me mentally ill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
But now his phone's wet. :ohdear:

Of course, my phone is completely waterproof, shockproof, oilproof, and scratchproof, but I can't do Facebook from it, so who knows what he's got.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

FB acquantance posted this link yesterday.

Posted this thought with it: "this has to be one of the most pathetic examples of the liberal media portraying the underclass as completely helpless, brain dead victims... if anyone reading this finds themselves in the situation described in the article and for some reason cannot find a buddy to loan you $500 for a car, my interest rate is 3%"

If it were only so easy.

Presumably that buddy will also loan the $100 for a drivers license (not even talking about lessons), the $300 or so it costs to pay for titling and registration, the $70-130 per month for car insurance, and the $50 a month for gas? And of course, the taxes on the vehicle purchase that you pay during registration. And the inspection sticker.

And hopefully he'll donate his time to go get all those done at the DMV so the poors don't have to take a day or two off work.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I've never been poor in my life, nor have I ever really been in a real financial crunch. This makes me much less qualified to talk about what the poor can and cannot afford. The funny thing is that many people in my situation feel that they DO know about the plight of poverty, and how the poor should be spending their money.

I often argue with my dad about this, as he can't fathom the fact that some people can't afford an ID or anybody having a hard time getting to the DMV for an ID.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

Presumably that buddy will also loan the $100 for a drivers license (not even talking about lessons), the $300 or so it costs to pay for titling and registration, the $70-130 per month for car insurance, and the $50 a month for gas? And of course, the taxes on the vehicle purchase that you pay during registration. And the inspection sticker.

And hopefully he'll donate his time to go get all those done at the DMV so the poors don't have to take a day or two off work.

Also, the only car available for $500 is not worth $500, it's a junker. Selling a car for scrap is $200, so anyone selling a car for $500 knows it's basically a goner. You have to pay $1200 minimum for a used car.

Also, I don't know anyone who has $500 to loan to even their closest friends, let alone to acquaintances. He literally thinks everyone knows someone with $500 laying around.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Leon Einstein posted:

I've never been poor in my life, nor have I ever really been in a real financial crunch. This makes me much less qualified to talk about what the poor can and cannot afford. The funny thing is that many people in my situation feel that they DO know about the plight of poverty, and how the poor should be spending their money.

I often argue with my dad about this, as he can't fathom the fact that some people can't afford an ID or anybody having a hard time getting to the DMV for an ID.

Homeless people probably have difficulty too. I'm pretty sure you need to have a residential address to get an ID issued in most states.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I actually looked it up in the election thread. Apparently, for registration of homeless people, it is acceptable to write in the intersection or park where they frequent, and for the illiterate, it is acceptable to draw a map.

However, certain states, like PA, now require proof of address, like a utility bill with your name printed on it. I really doubt that's legal.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

jojoinnit posted:

Yeah, that guy just really doesn't get how poor people can really be. I do wish I was making more than I am from my job, but I have to stop and remind myself that it could be far, far worse. For some people $100 for DMV fees is a pretty loving big deal.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Iceberg-Slim posted:

Which one is that?

I didn't save it, but it was posted a few pages ago. It's the one that says if you cross the border illegally in Afghanistan you get shot, but in America you get healthcare and welfare.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Guilty Spork posted:

Yeah, that guy just really doesn't get how poor people can really be. I do wish I was making more than I am from my job, but I have to stop and remind myself that it could be far, far worse. For some people $100 for DMV fees is a pretty loving big deal.
Yeah, people who say poo poo like that tend to equate being poor with being a bit short of cash. They have no reference point for being in a situation where you work 60 hours at $6 per to you know, not die, with little chance of things improving.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

XyloJW posted:

I actually looked it up in the election thread. Apparently, for registration of homeless people, it is acceptable to write in the intersection or park where they frequent, and for the illiterate, it is acceptable to draw a map.

However, certain states, like PA, now require proof of address, like a utility bill with your name printed on it. I really doubt that's legal.

Good to know, I was actually having difficulty trying to find the laws in my state on that one.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Can you even get a car for $500 anymore? Maybe a decent road bike, but the kind of poo poo bucket you'd get for 500 bucks would nickle and dime you even further into debt in no time flat.

e; wow, late reply

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

Yeah, people who say poo poo like that tend to equate being poor with being a bit short of cash. They have no reference point for being in a situation where you work 60 hours at $6 per to you know, not die, with little chance of things improving.

Inform them that servers make $2.17 before tax (but they're taxed at $7.25, under the assumption that they will make that much in tips, even if they don't), which after taxes means $1 an hour. There've been many days when I left work with $10 in my pocket from an 8 hour shift. If you complain, you'll be fired for not being a good enough server. It is impossible to prove a customer didn't tip because they were upset with the service, and also $10 isn't enough for a lawyer.

Then when he says "Get a better job," tell him there are none.

In my experience, one unavoidable, unexplainable counterexample should be enough to get them to shut up, or at least change the subject and think about it later when they're not embarrassed.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

XyloJW posted:

Inform them that servers make $2.17 before tax (but they're taxed at $7.25, under the assumption that they will make that much in tips, even if they don't), which after taxes means $1 an hour. There've been many days when I left work with $10 in my pocket from an 8 hour shift. If you complain, you'll be fired for not being a good enough server. It is impossible to prove a customer didn't tip because they were upset with the service, and also $10 isn't enough for a lawyer.

In my experience, one unavoidable, unexplainable counterexample should be enough to get them to shut up, or at least change the subject and think about it later when they're not embarrassed.

The problem with this example is that all it will take is one story of a bartender friend who makes hundreds on tips alone in a single night, and the person will feel vindicated.

Servers are treated like poo poo in the US though.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

NatasDog posted:

Can you even get a car for $500 anymore? Maybe a decent road bike, but the kind of poo poo bucket you'd get for 500 bucks would nickle and dime you even further into debt in no time flat.

e; wow, late reply

My friend is a mechanic and his mantra is that a car in street legal condition and with a working engine and transmission is worth no less than $1000.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

babies havin rabies posted:

My friend is a mechanic and his mantra is that a car in street legal condition and with a working engine and transmission is worth no less than $1000.

For my first car, I bought a used, 15 year old car in 2007 for $750. It was from a friend and I talked her down from 1250 she was asking for. I can only imagine how the recession has made the used car market more expensive. Especially so for people on very limited budgets.

I still ended up putting close to 3 grand into the car for the four yeas I owned it. Also, I couldn't get my license till I was 21 since my state at the time required that you own the car (or your direct family did anyways, my mom didn't have a car) that you took your test in.

Photo ID on the other hand, was easy to get so long as you had 20 bucks, an hour to kill, and your vital records on hand. This was in Rhode Island.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 13, 2012

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

The problem with this example is that all it will take is one story of a bartender friend who makes hundreds on tips alone in a single night, and the person will feel vindicated.

Servers are treated like poo poo in the US though.

Yes, that's the example, but the point is you're not arguing whether or not tipping is fair, you're arguing that there are people who really cannot afford an ID. All it takes is one example to say "You're telling that waitress she can't vote."

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

To add to the $500 car discussion, a car that can be purchased for $500 is literally a novelty act to be banged around and possibly crushed.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

CellBlock posted:

To add to the $500 car discussion, a car that can be purchased for $500 is literally a novelty act to be banged around and possibly crushed.

The car submitted has to be purchased and have a professionally installed rollbar for under $500 total. The car itself can't be worth even $500 and the car in question probably wouldn't be street legal or suitable as any kind of daily driver anyway.

Factoring in repairs, insurance, and taxes, you have to safely have $1500/yr of expendable income to drive even a beater in the US (perfect driving record too).

If you're poor in the USA, the best way to buy a car is to go to a police auction and buy a car seized from another poor person.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 13, 2012

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

FB acquantance posted this link yesterday.

Posted this thought with it: "this has to be one of the most pathetic examples of the liberal media portraying the underclass as completely helpless, brain dead victims... if anyone reading this finds themselves in the situation described in the article and for some reason cannot find a buddy to loan you $500 for a car, my interest rate is 3%"

If it were only so easy.

What's your friend's name? I need $500.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Also, it's hilarious that he has an interest rate for "buddies." I have never heard of an interest rate between friends, no matter how big the loan.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

XyloJW posted:

Also, it's hilarious that he has an interest rate for "buddies." I have never heard of an interest rate between friends, no matter how big the loan.

Well, that's presumably the rate for the stranger that he's presumably willing to give $500 to if their buddies can't cover the loan.

I would once again like to point out that this entire bit of insanity has basically been covered in The Onion.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

quote:

Let's get this right, the actual facts.

Even those who aren't particularly sympathetic to Israel's Benjamin Netanyahu could get a good measure of satisfaction from this interview with British Television during the retaliation against Hamas' shelling of Israel.

The interviewer asked him: "How come so many more Palestinians have been killed in this conflict than Israelis?"

Netanyahu: "Are you sure that you want to start asking in that direction?"

Interviewer: "Why not?"

Netanyahu: "Because in World War II more Germans were killed than British and Americans combined, but there is no doubt in anyone's mind that the war was caused by Germany 's aggression.

And in response to the German blitz on London, the British wiped out the entire city of Dresden, burning to death more German civilians than the number of people killed in Hiroshima. Moreover, I could remind you that in 1944, when the R.A.F. tried to bomb the Gestapo Headquarters in Copenhagen, some of the bombs missed their target and fell on a Danish children's hospital, killing 83 little children.

Perhaps you have another question?"

Part TWO:

Benjamin Netanyahu gave another interview and was asked about Israel 's occupation of Arab lands. His response was, "It's our land." The reporter was stunned - read below.

"Yes, it's our land...

It's important information since we don't get fair and accurate reporting from the media and facts tend to get lost in the jumble of daily events."

"Crash Course on the Arab-Israeli Conflict." (1.5 minutes to read!)

Here are overlooked facts in the current & past Middle East situation.

A Christian university professor compiled these:

Facts:

1 Nationhood and Jerusalem: Israel became a nation in 1312 BC, two thousand (2000) years before the rise of Islam.

2. Arab refugees in Israel began identifying themselves as part of a Palestinian people in 1967, two decades after the establishment of the modern State of Israel.

3. Since the Jewish conquest in 1272 BC, the Jews have had dominion over the land for one thousand (1000) years with a continuous presence in the land for the past 3,300 years.

4. The only Arab dominion since the conquest in 635 lasted no more than 22 years.

5. For over 3,300 years, Jerusalem has been the Jewish capital. Jerusalem has never been the capital of any Arab or Muslim entity. Even when the Jordanians occupied Jerusalem, they never sought to make it their capital, and Arab leaders did not bother to come visit.

6. Jerusalem is mentioned over 700 times in Tanach, the Jewish Holy scriptures. Jerusalem is not mentioned even once in the Koran.

7. King David founded the city of Jerusalem. Mohammed never came to Jerusalem.

8. Jews pray facing Jerusalem. Muslims pray with their backs toward Jerusalem.

9. Arab and Jewish Refugees: in 1948 the Arab refugees were encouraged to leave Israel by Arab leaders promising to purge the land of Jews. Sixty-eight percent left (many in fear of retaliation by their own brethren, the Arabs), without ever seeing an Israeli soldier. The ones who stayed were afforded the same peace, civility, and citizenship rights as everyone else.

10. The Jewish refugees were forced to flee from Arab lands due to Arab brutality, persecution and pogroms.

11. The number of Arab refugees who left Israel in 1948 is estimated to be around 630,000. The number of Jewish refugees from Arab lands is estimated to be the same.

12. Arab refugees were INTENTIONLLY not absorbed or integrated into the Arab lands to which they fled, despite the vast Arab territory. Out of the 100,000,000 refugees since World War II, theirs is the only refugee group in the world that has never been absorbed or integrated into their own people's lands. Jewish refugees were completely absorbed into Israel, a country no
larger than the state of New Jersey.

13. The Arab-Israeli Conflict: the Arabs are represented by eight separate nations, not including the Palestinians. There is only one Jewish nation. The Arab nations initiated all five wars and lost. Israel defended itself each time and won.

14. The PLO's Charter still calls for the destruction of the State of Israel. Israel has given the Palestinians most of the West Bank land, autonomy under the Palestinian Authority, and has supplied them.

15. Under Jordanian rule, Jewish holy sites were desecrated and the Jews were denied access to places of worship. Under Israeli rule, all Muslim and Christian sites have been preserved and made accessible to people of all faiths.

16. The UN Record on Israel and the Arabs: of the 175 Security Council resolutions passed before 1990, 97 were directed against Israel.

17. Of the 690 General Assembly resolutions voted on before 1990, 429 were directed against Israel.

18. The UN was silent while the Jordanians destroyed 58 Jerusalem synagogues.

19. The UN was silent while the Jordanians systematically desecrated the ancient Jewish cemetery on the Mount of Olives.

20. The UN was silent while the Jordanians enforced an apartheid-like a policy of preventing Jews from visiting the Temple Mount and the Western Wall. These are incredible times. We have to ask what our role should be. What will we tell our grandchildren about what we did when there was a turning point in Jewish destiny, an opportunity to make a difference?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Econosaurus posted:

Facts:
8. Jews pray facing Jerusalem. Muslims pray with their backs toward Jerusalem.*

*Not a fact

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

archangelwar posted:

And the theory of marginal utility of GPA is...

The exact inverse of the marginal utility of money, which is why the whole analogy is dumb as all gently caress :downs:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Econosaurus posted:

Let's get this right, the actual facts.

Even those who aren't particularly sympathetic to Israel's Benjamin Netanyahu could get a good measure of satisfaction from this interview with British Television during the retaliation against Hamas' shelling of Israel.

The interviewer asked him: "How come so many more Palestinians have been killed in this conflict than Israelis?"

Netanyahu: "Are you sure that you want to start asking in that direction?"

Interviewer: "Why not?"

Netanyahu: "Because in World War II more Germans were killed than British and Americans combined, but there is no doubt in anyone's mind that the war was caused by Germany 's aggression.

And in response to the German blitz on London, the British wiped out the entire city of Dresden, burning to death more German civilians than the number of people killed in Hiroshima. Moreover, I could remind you that in 1944, when the R.A.F. tried to bomb the Gestapo Headquarters in Copenhagen, some of the bombs missed their target and fell on a Danish children's hospital, killing 83 little children.

Perhaps you have another question?"

So, you're saying the Palestinians are Nazis?

The west has nearly universally agreed that the bombing of Dresden was an unnecessary atrocity, would you say the same about Israel's actions?

Nazi Germany was equivalent in strength the Allies, would you say that the Palestinians are the equivalent of Israel?

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

The car submitted has to be purchased and have a professionally installed rollbar for under $500 total. The car itself can't be worth even $500 and the car in question probably wouldn't be street legal or suitable as any kind of daily driver anyway.

Factoring in repairs, insurance, and taxes, you have to safely have $1500/yr of expendable income to drive even a beater in the US (perfect driving record too).

If you're poor in the USA, the best way to buy a car is to go to a police auction and buy a car seized from another poor person.

Or seized from drug dealers and other criminals.

Armyman25 posted:

So, you're saying the Palestinians are Nazis?

The west has nearly universally agreed that the bombing of Dresden was an unnecessary atrocity, would you say the same about Israel's actions?

Nazi Germany was equivalent in strength the Allies, would you say that the Palestinians are the equivalent of Israel?

Also notice the part where they write:

quote:

10. The Jewish refugees were forced to flee from Arab lands due to Arab brutality, persecution and pogroms.

Notice how they never mention the 6 million Jews (and over 6 million Roma, homosexuals, mentally ill, physcially disabled, communists, socialists, Slavs, etc.) murdered by Christian Germans, Austrians, French, Poles, Russians, etc. It's almost like this is a racist, anti-Muslim diatribe that ignores any hypocrisy or double standards.

XyloJW posted:

*Not a fact

That's probably the best part of the entire screed. It's obvious that this person either hasn't actually read the entire thing or just knows almost nothing about Islam and Judaism. It's just the same bullshit that gets passed around by right-wing Christians who don't know much about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict other than what they're spoon-fed by right-wing media and their eschatology-obsessed churches.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

XyloJW posted:

I once had someone respond to that line of argument by saying it was federal law that if a server makes below federal minimum wage over a pay period due to lack of tips, that the employer had to make up the difference. While I'm sure there's plenty of chances for employers to cheat their employees if this is the law, does anyone know for sure if this definitely is or is not the case?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Idran posted:

I once had someone respond to that line of argument by saying it was federal law that if a server makes below federal minimum wage over a pay period due to lack of tips, that the employer had to make up the difference. While I'm sure there's plenty of chances for employers to cheat their employees if this is the law, does anyone know for sure if this definitely is or is not the case?

:cawg:

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing that means "no, the government doesn't care about waiters and servers in the slightest", eh? :v:

I probably could have guessed that, but it's good to know it for sure.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

No, the safety equipment is not part of the limits. Most quality roll cages cost about $1000 (or more)

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Idran posted:

Yes, tipped employees must be paid at least minimum wage between tips and wages, and their direct wage may not be below $2.13/hour. However, there is nothing stopping the employer from then firing the server for not making $5.12/hr in tips. Or just ignoring the law, since so many people aren't aware of what their rights are under the FLSA.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Heh, liberal elitists arguing that the members of a restaurant's staff should be paid enough for their rent. I bet they think janitors deserve healthcare, the snobs.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Idran posted:

Yes, that is the law. However, most states in the US are "At-will" hiring, which means you can be fired for "No stated reason," which most definitely includes bitching at them because you're not making minimum wage. No manager will keep paying you an extra $5 an hour, when they can just fire you for no reason and hire someone else in a week's time. Or even better, hire them, and have you train them.

With the job market as it is, waitress/server work is basically a trap, where you end up poorer than before you took the job, because you fall further and further behind. "I'll make more money next week, when things pick up, and then I'll be able to turn my electric back on!" is something I hear heart-breakingly often.

And as I said, it is impossible to prove why they fired you, why you didn't make the requisite amount in tips, or even how much you did make in tips. They'll just claim you made that money and pocketed it without reporting it. Also, they don't ever fire you, they just cut your hours to zero. If they fire you, they'd have to pay your unemployment. But if they just give you zero hours for the rest of eternity, you can't collect a dime!

Hope you've got a few tens of thousands of dollars to take them to court with, person who is no longer even making $1 an hour!!

Welcome to the US Justice system.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

XyloJW posted:

In Oregon they're allowed to register with any address where they receive mail. This usually means a homeless shelter. They also only need a SSN to satisfy HAVA requirements here. It's actually a pretty reasonable setup.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Can anyone find the thread where conservative chain e-mails were mixed and morphed? Audrey and her friend's dad were popular characters.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Teddles posted:

Can anyone find the thread where conservative chain e-mails were mixed and morphed? Audrey and her friend's dad were popular characters.

I think this thread is what you want:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2958893

Edit: You probably want The Atheist and The Bear
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2870098&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

CopywrightMMXI fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 14, 2012

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
To be fair though, re: tipping, you'd have to be either a) the shittiest server ever, or b) working in the shittiest, slowest dive ever to not make decent hourly wage as a server.

My sister was both a great server, and worked in a busy well established diner, and she could clear $140-160 a night in tips.

But if you get a slow dead day, and the wrong crowd, you can bust your rear end for hours to barely scrape out a dime.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Loving Life Partner posted:

To be fair though, re: tipping, you'd have to be either a) the shittiest server ever, or b) working in the shittiest, slowest dive ever to not make decent hourly wage as a server.

Jesus Christ, please do not start that. I only brought up tipping as a point that it's possible to be making way below minimum. It's totally unrelated to crazy political emails.

Also, good god, you are wrong, but that's neither here nor there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Maybe the answer is somewhere in the middle :unsmith: