Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
:toot:

Pinball Wizard has done well. Perhaps he deserves a celebratory pair of pants for next round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round Three, Match Three:siren:

Match Three, Horza (ZeeToo) vs. Aspen (iLonie)

Horza the troll is armored with a mishmash of miscellaneous gear. Iron mail shirt and iron gauntlets, copper high boots, greaves, and helm, and stiff leather chest armor. Horza does not bother with a weapon. Aspen, a human swordswoman, wields a steel long sword and a complete set of iron armor, including a breast plate. Can Horza beat his way through his tin iron can of an opponent?

The match begins! Both opponents advance as best they can. Despite her full-body plating, Aspen is somewhat faster than her opponent. She attacks first, but somehow misses. The troll counters, missing as well, then charges, sending Aspen clattering to the ground. Horza pummels his downed opponent, his fist leaving clear dents in Aspens plate.

Aspen hauls herself to her feet, only to be upended by the rampaging troll again. Horza manages to catch Aspen's gauntleted left hand between his own massive fist and the solid arena tile, absolutely crushing it!

Despite her injury, Aspen fights on. She struggles to rise time after time, only to be put back on the ground by her larger, surprisingly agile opponent. It seems that Aspen simply doesn't have the skill to break free of her opponent's assault. Horza presses on, landing several bruising strikes. Finally, he gets a solid grasp on his opponent's breastplate and tears the armor from her body, leaving only the less protective mail below! He then smashes Aspen's remaining hand with his horn, leaving the human unable to wield her steel sword.

The fight is all but over now. Horza beats his opponent into submission with her own armor, Aspen now completely incapable of mounting any sort of offensive. A final, solid punch to the head crushes Aspen's skull through her helm, and Horza secures his place in the next round!

That fight could have been a lot closer than that, but such is the will of the Arena.

Combat Log

iLonie
Feb 17, 2011
Well... crap. It appears my lack of knowledge regarding DF combat was her undoing - do you require wrestling skill to escape holds? I assumed it would come under dodge. And to think I was concerned about facing steel or better weaponry. Oh well, congrats ZeeToo on your inherited fighter! If the one strike Aspen threw had landed things could have been very different.

Also I didn't say so earlier - so cheers to Vox for running these and Jazz for setting up the site.

iLonie fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 13, 2012

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:stare: Really?

I've never put much value in wrestlers, and I was quite serious in expecting to lose that one.

Anyway, the biggest point that I've found in determining wrestling winners is... just size. I don't think there's any build that will make a strangler actually able to wrestle down a troll, for instance, save incredible luck (if you know better, please let me know so I can actually improve Horza!) After that, having good natural weapons helps, and... skill's pretty minimal. Good match, iLonie. I wouldn't have bet against you based on the equipment load-out. One good hit could have ended Horza.

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 13, 2012

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

You just lost me all my money Aspen. :argh:

I better win this next fight, or betting is gonna be real boring for me. :saddowns:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

iLonie posted:

Well... crap. It appears my lack of knowledge regarding DF combat was her undoing - do you require wrestling skill to escape holds? I assumed it would come under dodge. And to think I was concerned about facing steel or better weaponry. Oh well, congrats ZeeToo on your inherited fighter! If the one strike Aspen threw had landed things could have been very different.

Also I didn't say so earlier - so cheers to Vox for running these and Jazz for setting up the site.

The only thing that might have helped you would have been more dodge and weapon skill. No amount of wresting skill will let a human break free from a troll. Fight could have ended up just as one-sided in the opposite direction, though.

Thanks, and I'd like to join you in thinking Jazzimus for the awesome site.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Hurry up and run the fight before the betting evens out on the 2nd fight in the queue. Goooooooooo Serpentmen!

Or take your time

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round Three, Match Four:siren:

Match Four, Dr Stranglelove (Shorter Than Some) vs. Moustache Billy (Samopsa)

Dr Stranglelove, a strangler, of course, does not bother with armor. Instead, he wields two expensive steel picks with his four arms. Moustache Billy, tigerman, opts for some basic armor: an iron helm, iron mail shirt, and iron gauntlets, leaving his lower half conspicuously unarmored. He handles his steel halberd with practiced ease.

The match begins! Both warriors advance swiftly, but Dr Stranglelove is somewhat faster than his opponent. The strangler strikes first, lopping off one of Moustache Billy's unarmored paws completely! The tigerman collapses to his knees, striking at his opponent with his halberd. But the strangler parries and counters mercilessly, punching a hole in Moustache Billy's gauntleted lower arm.

Dr Stranglelove moves to finish off his opponent, swiping at the tigerman's head with his pick. Somehow, Mustache Billy manages to parry with the haft of his weapon. But the tigerman cannot rally and press an attack of his own. Two short seconds pass, then Dr Stranglelove decapitates his opponent with a decisive, now-uncontested blow. The match is over almost as quickly as it began!

Combat Log

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Aww. Goodbye, my pants-less tiger! In hindsight I was probably better off just ditching armor instead of getting incomplete iron gear. Oh well.

Nice to see you back again after two weeks, Vox, and thanks for all the work in this thread. Same to you, Jazzimus.

MintDinosaur
Mar 31, 2008

I know absolutely nothing about Dwarf Fortress save from the tiny nuggets of... well, whatever it is I can't call it wisdom, I've gleaned from reading various LP's. But I've enjoyed the hell out of this arena nonsense. In nine months, when season three may be approaching, I'll definitely lovingly craft a doomed soldier. :D

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round Three, Match Five:siren:

Match Five, Midas' Touch (TheWhaler) vs. roctavian (Clockwork Gadget)

Midas' Touch the minotaur is armed with his characteristic gold bronze pike and oak shield. He forgoes any armor. Roctavian the serpent man wields a silver war hammer and oak buckler, and is armored with a bronze helm and a double layer of bronze mail shirts. He may regret doubling up on the shirts rather than acquiring hand and tail protection before this match is over. He may also regret bringing a blunt weapon to a fight against a larger, unarmored foe.

The two fighters hurry out. Roctavian strikes first, launching himself at the minotaur's hand and biting down in a surprise move! His fangs just manage to catch onto a finger and inject milliliters of venom.

Midas' Touch stands still for a moment, shocked. Another moment passes, and then the minotaur succumbs quite suddenly to the venom, dropping to the arena floor, paralyzed, his weapon and shield slipping from his grip! Roctavian rips his opponent's finger away cleanly, then dispatches the helpless minotaur with a hammerblow to the head! An incredible upset!

Roctavian departs with a souvenir.

Combat Log

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 3, 2012

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
:stare:

That was awesome. And very profitable for me!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round Three, Match Six:siren:

Match Six, Jonathan Sebastian Smith (Fredrik1) vs. Elizabeth Bennet (Dirty Frank)

Jonathan Sebastian Smith, a human warrior, uses a steel long sword paired with an oak shield. His armor consists of an iron helm, copper mail, and hardened leather, leaving his limbs exposed. Elizabeth Bennet the goblin chooses not to use a shield, depending on her steel battleaxe for both offensive and defensive moves. However, she is well-equipped with a full-body set of steel armor, including helm, mail shirt, gauntlets, and high boots. Jonathan Sebastian Smith will have extreme difficulty harming his opponent through her heavy armor, Will his shield and slightly larger stature be enough to bridge the gap?

The match begins! Elizabeth may be weighed down with armor, but she is still quicker than her opponent, and opens the match with a swipe that Jonathan nimbly evades.

Now the gladiators circle one another, looking for an opening. Jonathan strikes next, but misses completely. Elizabeth ineffectually slaps the human with the face of her axe, nevertheless bruising Jonathan's arm deeply. The warriors circle again, striking at one another only occasionally. Elizabeth parries one strike, Jonathan blocks another. It seems that we have a solid competition on our hands today! Jonathan slashes at the goblin again, sending Elizabeth hopping backward. The human eagerly follows her, sensing weakness. But to his shock, the goblin lands on her toes and launches herself forward! Her axe cleaves through his weapon arm just below the elbow, and her aggressive body-blow sends Jonathan to the ground, stunned!

As Jonathan holds himself up with his shield arm, Elizabeth rakes her axe across his belly, cutting his copper and leather armor like butter and spilling his guts through the massive split in his abdomen! Elizabeth wrenches her axe free, blood and offal spraying in all directions. This would appear to be the end for Jonathan, but against all odds, he rallies! He deflects the goblin's next strike and attempts a counter, though his shield bash misses its mark. Another block and another counter attempt, then Jonathan struggles to his feet, gasping as his organs work themselves free past his struggling stump of an arm.

Jonathan wisely assumes a defensive stance, but Elizabeth, still a full strength, chops Jonathan's leg out from underneath him before he can react. The swordsman flops back into the pool of blood beneath him like a dying fish. Elizabeth raises her axe for a finishing blow, but it is soon apparent that Jonathan has already exsanguinated, so she instead raises her axe further in celebration. Elizabeth Bennet, armed and armored in steel, advances to the next round, a potent threat that all remaining gladiators would do well to consider!

Combat Log

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

That was some real good fights. Does DF consider weight of armor and armor skill for charging? Otherwise I have a hard time seeing how a goblin could knock down and stun a human.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

pun pundit posted:

That was some real good fights. Does DF consider weight of armor and armor skill for charging? Otherwise I have a hard time seeing how a goblin could knock down and stun a human.

Whether equipment weight is considered is a very good question! I do not know, though I've always assumed it is not. When creatures have similar mass values (no greater than 25% difference) it is possible that the charge can go either way. That charge could just have easily ended up with Elizabeth Bennet on the ground, or more likely, both of them.

I'm pretty sure it also looks at fighting skill values, and various attributes, but I think only Toady knows the current, full formula for charging.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round Three, Match Seven:siren:

Match Seven, Goobert (Greedish) vs. Clown Baby (longgonejohn)

Goobert the dwarf is heavily, bizarrely armed and armored. He wields a two-handed steel great axe. His armor consists of an adamantine helm, platinum breast plate and leggings, and leather high boots. Clown Baby, tigerman, is cheaply armed with an iron halberd and oak shield. His armor is equally cut-rate, and includes a copper helm and leather armor. Unfortunately for Goobert, the tigerman's simple iron weapon will be enough to cut through all but the dwarf's helm with ease.

The match begins. Both fighters advance, neither with much speed. Goobert is just slightly less slow than his opponent, but his opening strike is easily parried away with a flip of the tigerman's halberd.

Clown Baby rushes Goobert, using the shaft of his halberd to push the dwarf onto his back. Though Goobert's fall isn't especially violent, the tigerman is able to take immediate initiative, hacking off the dwarf's right foot with a quick chop, leaving him permanently grounded!

Goobert defends himself, but Clown Baby almost manages to cut off the dwarf's remaining foot, which would almost certainly have lead to a bleed-out. Instead, he only manages to slice one of the toes. The two warriors exchange strikes, both parrying the other's aggression. Then Clown Baby jabs his halberd into Goobert's lefthand, mangling it. The tigerman continues chipping away at the dwarf, cutting open his leg and forcing him to roll to escape the onslaught.

But Goobert cannot find sanctuary. Clown Baby rips open the dwarf's left arm in three different places, and the limb dangles grotesquely, efficiently pumping blood onto the arena floor. To his credit, Goobert fights on, wielding his over-sized weapon with one arm. But the tigerman easily blocks and parries the feeble attempts. Clown Baby jabs his halberd into Goobert's chest, inflicting further grievous harm. Goobert succumbs to pain shortly afterward, and bleeds out to the tune of Clown Baby ringing his impenetrable helmet like a bell.

Combat Log

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
Noooooooo Goobert!

I had no idea what I was doing anyway, it's a miracle I even got this far!

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Heck yeah, won big on Rocktavian. I knew he'd go far since he was good enough to best my fighter.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
I won't say just HOW many points that I have invested in biting. Just know that it was not insubstantial. Suggest my next opponent purchase gloves.

e: or, honestly, just full body armor

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
This is why wood armor is the best. Opponent tries to bite you and inject paralyzing venom? Boom, mouthful of splinters instead. Ultimate defense.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I like serpent men, so rocktavian's progress is pretty neat to watch.

Go, go! Until I get to beat you for the final, of course. :toot:

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and throw that K in there, I named that serpentfolk after myself! For the record, Roctavian the serpentman worships Cheibriados.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Victory! Sweet sweet victory.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

I know virtually nothing about DF, but is it configurable enough to have a different material for a mino's horns, say?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Red Dragon posted:

I know virtually nothing about DF, but is it configurable enough to have a different material for a mino's horns, say?

Yep.

Specifically, a minotaur has (in raw/objects/creature_standard.txt):

code:
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HORN:HORN_TEMPLATE]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:HORN:HORN_TEMPLATE]
This means that it should use the HORN_TEMPLATE in raw/objects/material_template_default.txt to determine the properties of the material the horns are made out of, and HORN_TEMPLATE in raw/objects/tissue_template_default.txt to determine how that material is shaped - how thick it is and suchlike.

The easiest way to change this is just to replace [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HORN:HORN_TEMPLATE] with something else. For example, [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HORN:METAL_TEMPLATE] would give it horns of generic metal, while [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HORN:FLAME_TEMPLATE] would give it horns of pure fire.

I think. The latter might just cause its head to explode in flames as soon as the game loaded.

If you needed something more specific (say, horns of iron or limestone rather than "generic metal" or "generic rock"), I think you'd have to make a new template for that (using the information - hardness, melting point, etc - on that specific material from one of the other files), and then use that new template.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Updates coming as soon as I finish my paper.

Yes, I know. But drat if I won't finish this tournament.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is your paper done yet? :ohdear:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I am pretty sure your paper is already late at this point, you may as well run some more fights.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
This is one hell of a paper.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Gonna change the world, man!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The paper is on how XCOM and Dishonored are ruining lives everywhere.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

SynthOrange posted:

Hey now, I'm pretty sure that XCOM cures cancer or something.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

*sigh*

Well, it was fun, guys. :shobon:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

SynthOrange posted:

XCom destroyed my ability to succeed at World of Warcraft, but my dating life has picked up, so there's that.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Zeroisanumber posted:

XCom destroyed my ability to succeed at World of Warcraft, but my dating life has picked up, so there's that.

I started playing X-Com a week ago and now I'm dating a ballet dancer.

Science. :colbert:

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I missed the last update and holy crap, Jonathan, I had expected you to win but.. Good grief man, you are forgiven.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Crossposting from the main DF thread...inquiring minds want to know!

TremendousMajestic posted:

I'm curious: do you guys still do the arena competitions? I participated in the first one with a tanking Antwoman (named Antwoman Lingerie Model, or ALM, if anyone remembers) but became disillusioned when my team lost because I was the last survivor and couldn't kill our team's last opponent, an unconscious fighter. He healed up enough while ALM stood there ineffectually smacking his helmet to get up and kill her.

Just wondering if stuff like that ever got fixed and if anyone else had success with a similar Antwoman build.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Last tournament saw an absurd all-steel-plate antwoman that my goblin spent in-game months smacking with a bronze spear to kill her.

I believe that's the only super-armored ant we've seen in a while? Some details may have escaped me.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No no, I meant the first question in the quote. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
...so, does this mean Vox is damned...? :(

• Locked thread