Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Krakkles posted:

* - "There are two types of riders, those who have crashed and those who will crash."

I think that's unnecessarily fatalistic. One of my father's friends has been riding more than 40 years and has never had a bad crash -- he's come off, sure, but never broken any bones and to hear him tell it all of his mistakes were in the first couple of years of riding. Indeed, I've read studies that show over and over again that the longer you go on riding without crashing, the less likely you are to have a bad accident in the future. Saying "everyone will crash" creates an expectation for a situation that doesn't have to come to pass.

Of course, you still want to encourage people to wear gear, but I think a better way of saying that is "you are now participating in a dangerous sport, but wearing protective clothing can drastically reduce the consequences if something goes wrong."

Then show them pictures of the CAT scan of the guy who crashed without a full-face helmet.

e:

ReelBigLizard posted:

It's a personal choice and a balance of convenience/safety I'm happy with.

Ultimately this is what it comes down to. There are certain choices you can make to be objectively safer when riding, but if all you were concerned about was being safe you wouldn't be riding a motorcycle in the first place. Everyone finds their own balance and preference and deals with the consequences.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I think that's unnecessarily fatalistic. One of my father's friends has been riding more than 40 years and has never had a bad crash -- he's come off, sure, but never broken any bones and to hear him tell it all of his mistakes were in the first couple of years of riding. Indeed, I've read studies that show over and over again that the longer you go on riding without crashing, the less likely you are to have a bad accident in the future. Saying "everyone will crash" creates an expectation for a situation that doesn't have to come to pass.

Of course, you still want to encourage people to wear gear, but I think a better way of saying that is "you are now participating in a dangerous sport, but wearing protective clothing can drastically reduce the consequences if something goes wrong."

Then show them pictures of the guy who crashed without a full-face helmet.
I agree with everything else, but my point wasn't to be unnecessarily fatalistic, it was to use a well-known expression to illustrate why I think gear is important, which you seem to agree with, excepting the expression. Let's not argue over it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Krakkles posted:

(#2 roughly approximates what Z3n said (you slid for less than .2-.5 seconds on any particular area of the denim) so yes, it's certainly possible.)

4 - There are crashes where a particular item of clothing / gear was not a factor in preventing injury. (To make the easy example, imagine a crash where your left hand is held straight up, away from the ground, for the duration of the crash, never receiving any contact or trauma and ultimately receiving no injury. This would not be proof of gloves protecting hands.) These crashes do not constitute proof of protection, and other tests (which have been conducted) may (do) show that the material (denim) will not meaningfully protect someone in a crash.

Except that I said the jeans i was wearing *did* tear, so they protected my skin from the amount of energy it took to do that, so...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Except that I said the jeans i was wearing *did* tear, so they protected my skin from the amount of energy it took to do that, so...
So you slid for exactly .2-.5 seconds. Congratulations, you got lucky.

Unless you somehow executed this completely accidental motorcycle crash in such a precise manner so as to have planned the exact amount of sliding each part of your lower body would encounter on each particular area of denim to be less than .2-.5 seconds?

The point is that yes, denim might protect you for .2-.5 seconds of sliding. There is a ridiculous likelihood that you will slide for more than .2-.5 seconds in a motorcycle accident. Ignoring the fact that abrasive injuries can be transmitted through denim without tearing it, it is still not wise to plan on that for protection.

And never mind all the potential situations that could have lead to tears in your jeans that didn't involve you sliding on them.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Krakkles posted:

So you slid for exactly .2-.5 seconds. Congratulations, you got lucky.

Unless you somehow executed this completely accidental motorcycle crash in such a precise manner so as to have planned the exact amount of sliding each part of your lower body would encounter on each particular area of denim to be less than .2-.5 seconds?

The point is that yes, denim might protect you for .2-.5 seconds of sliding. There is a ridiculous likelihood that you will slide for more than .2-.5 seconds in a motorcycle accident. It is not wise to plan on that for protection.

And never mind all the potential situations that could have lead to tears in your jeans that didn't involve you sliding on them.

I am not denying that there are much much better things to crash in than denim. I don't know how often, and in how many different ways, you want me to say this.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I am not denying that there are much much better things to crash in than denim. I don't know how often, and in how many different ways, you want me to say this.

You see that red text under his name? If you aren't still posting in this thread for your (and frankly mine and other's) amusement you should give it up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

quote:

Well, if you're an SV rider, the situations where women who are just overcome by the draw of your motorcycle and rip off your pants in an animal lust is worth considering.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

You see that red text under his name? If you aren't still posting in this thread for your (and frankly mine and other's) amusement you should give it up.

I always give even BRCTs the benefit of the doubt, it's my greatest character flaw.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

*shrug* Do whatever you want. What you just posted, I agree with.

Yes, you posted that you agree that there are better things to crash in than denim. You posted twice, including the quote above, and this one:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm arguing for number 2, and I don't think you're arguing for 1 or 3 because you're not a dribbling idiot. Note that I acknowledge (repeatedly) that 2 does not mean that there are not much, much better things to be crashing in.

... acknowledging that there are much better things to crash in than denim, and this final one is the only one where you didn't also attempt to make an argument for why denim is fine to crash in. So ... I'm not sure what you want from me.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I always give even BRCTs the benefit of the doubt, it's my greatest character flaw.
I've left it there because it's an easy way to tell if someone is arguing the subject or just wants to feel right. You're arguing the subject, which I respect, nsaP appears to just want to take potshots at my "reputation" :rolleyes::fh:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001
This thread has, once again, gone meta.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Z3n posted:

Seconds of Drag on Asphalt Before Getting Holes:

Denim -------------------------------------0.2 to 0.5
Textile gloves ----------------------------0.6
Most leather gloves---------------------1.0 to 1.8
Keprotec stretch material---------------0.9
Poor Kevlar--------------------------------1.0
Two layers of waxed cotton----------- 1.3
1.3mm thick cow hide -------------------3.8
Two layers of 1.3mm thick cowhide------18
Three layers of 1.3mm thick cowhide-----55
Two layers of Kevlar plain weave---------5.6
Suede ------------------------------------------18
Boot leather (generally 2.2mm thick)-----20
Leather stretch panels------------------20.4

Can we get some context to this please? Sorry I'm a scientist and this chart is all but useless. I went outside and dragged my jeans on the driveway for about two seconds at 1 mph and it didn't form holes so I'm going to assume there's more to this that actually makes it informative. Also does the source to this have any of the mass or thickness to these materials? And how do they define "poor" kevlar?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

As a mother,...I ride in hockey gear my kids have out grown

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Synonamess Botch posted:

Can we get some context to this please? Sorry I'm a scientist and this chart is all but useless. I went outside and dragged my jeans on the driveway for about two seconds at 1 mph and it didn't form holes so I'm going to assume there's more to this that actually makes it informative. Also does the source to this have any of the mass or thickness to these materials? And how do they define "poor" kevlar?

They're relative numbers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Synonamess Botch posted:

Can we get some context to this please?

I don't have any context for that one, but I saw a similar study once that I remember more details about. They took some 50-lb sandbags and sewed a patch of the material under test to the bottom, then tied a rope to the bag and tied that down in the bed of a pickup truck. They got the truck up to 80 kph on an empty road (50 mph), dropped the bag on the road at a specific painted line, and dragged it behind the truck at speed until the material wore out and the sand started to spill. The results were given in meters.

denim (no weight given): 2m
fashion-weight leather: 3m
motorcycle-grade cordura ("textile"): about 20m
racing leather: 45m

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Grasshoppers, there was once a product on the market that would monkey wrench this entire argument. 'Twas a time of double-digit mortgage rates, gas rationing, and toilet paper panics. Levi's were a luxury--I poo poo you not. Enter Sears Roebuck and DuPont. I speak of Toughskins. I'll let others elaborate:

You could get SHANKED wearing Toughskins and walk away without a scratch.

You could drag a kid behind a car for 10 blocks and never wear a hole in them.

The materials were Dacron Type 59 polyester, DuPont 420 nylon, and cotton...I can say with 100% confidence and accuracy that Toughskins are stain proof, creek proof, woods proof, under the house proof, on the roof proof, garden proof, football proof, garage proof, and basically kicking all sorts of rear end proof, if that means anything, but it doesn’t have to because I have on a pair of rain forest green Toughskins that will repel a cannon shot harpoon.

If you never wore them, then you really, really do not know what shame is.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Marv Hushman posted:

Grasshoppers, there was once a product on the market that would monkey wrench this entire argument. 'Twas a time of double-digit mortgage rates, gas rationing, and toilet paper panics. Levi's were a luxury--I poo poo you not. Enter Sears Roebuck and DuPont. I speak of Toughskins. I'll let others elaborate:

You could get SHANKED wearing Toughskins and walk away without a scratch.

You could drag a kid behind a car for 10 blocks and never wear a hole in them.

The materials were Dacron Type 59 polyester, DuPont 420 nylon, and cotton...I can say with 100% confidence and accuracy that Toughskins are stain proof, creek proof, woods proof, under the house proof, on the roof proof, garden proof, football proof, garage proof, and basically kicking all sorts of rear end proof, if that means anything, but it doesn’t have to because I have on a pair of rain forest green Toughskins that will repel a cannon shot harpoon.

If you never wore them, then you really, really do not know what shame is.

In 2d grade I had a matching set of Toughskins jacket and jeans in GREEN. I know this because my school picture shows me ROCKING that pimp rear end outfit. :drat:

I own my shame. :mmmsmug:

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

Seconds of Drag on Asphalt Before Getting Holes:

Denim -------------------------------------0.2 to 0.5
Textile gloves ----------------------------0.6
Most leather gloves---------------------1.0 to 1.8
Keprotec stretch material---------------0.9
Poor Kevlar--------------------------------1.0
Two layers of waxed cotton----------- 1.3
1.3mm thick cow hide -------------------3.8
Two layers of 1.3mm thick cowhide------18
Three layers of 1.3mm thick cowhide-----55
Two layers of Kevlar plain weave---------5.6
Suede ------------------------------------------18
Boot leather (generally 2.2mm thick)-----20
Leather stretch panels------------------20.4

I too would like some additional context on this, like the speeds involved because if my textile gloves are only good for half a second it's time to go shopping for some leather ones!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Good old toughskins. I still believe my ICON kevlar jeans are designed after toughskins, they look and feel the same, including the "Why are these cut so that when I bend over my rear end crack shows?"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

I too would like some additional context on this, like the speeds involved because if my textile gloves are only good for half a second it's time to go shopping for some leather ones!

Crashes are all different. Two people on identical bikes wearing identical gear going the same speed could fall off and get totally different injuries. You might wear out the palm of your racing leather glove in 0.5 seconds, or you might drag your textile glove at a slightly different angle and only get some little scratches on it. All you can ever say is what I said earlier: leather is better than nylon is better than denim is better than nothing. Beyond that it's a crap-shoot.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Just grabbed a basic link:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70923

There's the other things that were measured. Looks like that's the time to failure when the sample is placed under a 75 pound bag and dragged behind a truck.

I think it's an offshoot of this study:
http://www.trainwreckstudios.net/abrasion/

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Crashes are all different. Two people on identical bikes wearing identical gear going the same speed could fall off and get totally different injuries. You might wear out the palm of your racing leather glove in 0.5 seconds, or you might drag your textile glove at a slightly different angle and only get some little scratches on it. All you can ever say is what I said earlier: leather is better than nylon is better than denim is better than nothing. Beyond that it's a crap-shoot.

Yeah decent cloves will have reinforcement around areas like the outside heel of your hand that are the most likely to hit the ground in a crash. I think it's pretty rare for your hands to actually take much damage after the initial impact because although most people put out their hands to cushion the blow, once you've hit the ground you'll either be sliding on your back/side/belly/knees/elbows or rolling.

Of course if you had gloves as thick as, say, the knee or elbow on leathers you'd probably crash in the first 100m because they'd be too stiff to brake or change gear. Alternatively they'd be too stiff to hit the starter or the throttle so that might actually make them the safest possible riding gear because you'd never leave the driveway.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I understand what you're saying about every crash being different however the post I quoted implies that some sort of test has been performed on these various materials and that the quoted figures are the results.

However if you're going to quote these figures then you shouldn't be surprised when people ask for clarification as they are meaningless without any context.

For example saying these results were obtained by applying x amount of downwards force at a speed of y this is the amount of time taken to burn through material z allows people to draw a meaningful conclusion.

I personally wear waterproof textile gloves (UK weather is ace), should I take these results to imply that the my gloves are good for half a second if I come off at 30, 60, 90?

Sorry if this seems like an attack, I just find the woolly quoting of made up statistics as fact annoying.

Edit: Erk! Between me typing this up and posting it some figures have been posted. Apologies!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Somebody mentioned replica/real Repsol CBRs (with a photo) the other day in CA, and that's how I knew what I was looking at today in traffic. With two people on it, in shorts and T-shirts, the front one in a full-face, the rear with just a baseball hat and barefoot.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

S'alright, literbikes are good for 100mph in first gear, no need to shift.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

However if you're going to quote these figures then you shouldn't be surprised when people ask for clarification as they are meaningless without any context.

For example saying these results were obtained by applying x amount of downwards force at a speed of y this is the amount of time taken to burn through material z allows people to draw a meaningful conclusion.

I personally wear waterproof textile gloves (UK weather is ace), should I take these results to imply that the my gloves are good for half a second if I come off at 30, 60, 90?

There is no meaningful conclusion you can draw from the exact numbers, though. Yes, they could (probably did) specify that the test was be pushing the material sample against the road with 50 kilograms across 0.1 square meters at 80km/h or whatever, but that's useless information for anything other than duplicating the tests. Your gloves might have slid for half a second in the specific circumstances they tested, but you can't choose to only crash in the same manner as the tests. You could hit a sharp concrete edge with the heel of your hand and rip out a racing gauntlet instantly, or you could just graze along the ground in your padded nylon gloves at 100km/h for several seconds, just roughening the surface.

All that you need to know is that The Best protection is leather, and the numbers give you an idea of how protective a given material is compared to The Best. You should take the results as "leather gloves would last 2 to 3 times longer in a slide than my textile gloves", not "I can slide 30 feet before it wears into my hands" or something. Real crashes are too chaotic and dynamic to make any kind of judgement like that.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 13, 2012

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

There is no meaningful conclusion you can draw from the exact numbers, though. Yes, they could (probably did) specify that the test was be pushing the material sample against the road with 50 kilograms across 0.1 square meters at 80km/h or whatever, but that's useless information for anything other than duplicating the tests. Your gloves might have slid for half a second in the specific circumstances they tested, but you can't choose to only crash in the same manner as the tests. You could hit a sharp concrete edge with the heel of your hand and rip out a racing gauntlet instantly, or you could just graze along the ground in your padded nylon gloves at 100km/h for several seconds, just roughening the surface.

All that you need to know is that The Best protection is leather, and the numbers give you an idea of how protective a given material is compared to The Best. You should take the results as "leather gloves would last 2 to 3 times longer in a slide than my textile gloves", not "I can slide 30 feet before it wears into my hands" or something. Real crashes are too chaotic and dynamic to make any kind of judgement like that.

Maybe I'm a bit of a sperg but I prefer to know the facts and figures behind stuff like that as, to my mind, it lets you apply them to decisions of what to wear and when.

I think that looking solely at the protection levels offered by your gear is a flawed idea, sometimes you need to compromise protection for comfort and vice versa.

For example riding to work in city traffic and all weathers I'll go with my waterproof textiles cause if I do come off and barring a freak accident where they're ripped off my hands, I know they'll probably do the job and keep me warm and dry.

Hooning around the countryside I'm going to go for leathers as the risk of me coming off at speed is increased and therefore makes the protection benefit a bigger factor.

My argument is that the figures, as originally presented, didn't let you form these kind of conclusions.

Agree to disagree?

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
The best gear is the gear you'll wear. I ATGMTT; sometimes I get lazy or compromise to squid it up for short trips so some less restrictive/hot gear to fill in that area would be nice.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Okay I think it's only fair that I try to end the derail I started with yet more stupid poo poo I've heard.

"My back tyre's squared off so I'm gonna try and just go round a roundabout for a while to round it again"

Also from the same guy:

"All engines regardless of size get the same fuel consumption if you travel at the same speed, assuming the bikes have the same weight and drag, because it takes the same amount of energy"

He's a nice guy and not actually stupid, but really doesn't think things through properly.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Bixington posted:

The best gear is the gear you'll wear. I ATGMTT; sometimes I get lazy or compromise to squid it up for short trips so some less restrictive/hot gear to fill in that area would be nice.

I agree completely, I'm still ATGATT, just the gear in question is different depending on how I'm going to be riding.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

You can get roadrash from your jeans rubbing on your skin due to the asphalt rubbing on your jeans, even if they don't rip.
Happened to me once in a low speed crash. Knees were so scratched up I had a hard time walking for 2 weeks, but the jeans I was in looked like nothing had happened.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

I would wear this helmet everyday.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Tamir Lenk posted:

I would wear this helmet everyday.

Does the visor open?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Reading the last few pages is hilarious :mensch:

With that being said, ATGATT or I won't talk to you.

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 14, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Gullous posted:

Reading the last few pages is hilarious :mensch:

With that being said, ATGATT or I won't talk to you.

Is that chick crazy? It's raining with no gear except for a helmet. What a nut!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Wouldn't want to get your gear wet, duh. :rolleye:

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Now where did I put my kevlar speedo.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

She's just following the universal law of female video game protagonists: less armor, more armor

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

If you go fast enough and it's wet, you'll hydroplane when you layer dan.:haw:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I just witnessed a squid Layer Dan not an hour ago while I was walking to work here in Philadelphia. Exhilarating. Dude's wearing the squid uniform: shorts, t-shirt, tennis shoes and a backwards hat, with his helmet secured to the rear peg on the left side.

I'm guessing he was trying to impress high school girls or something, because I can hear that fart-cannon revving from a block away. Sure enough, dude takes off like a bat out of hell when it turns green. Simultaneously, some lady was trying to pull out of her parking spot. This section of the street has herringbone parking. I think the lady just casually glanced over her shoulder and pulled out, not expecting some squid to be bombing down the street at top speed and also because Philadelphia drivers are the worst. As she pulled out, he flinched, locked the rear wheel and laid it down. Thee's this huge racket as the bike slid down the street, dude tumbled, and this poor woman leaned on the horn, convinced she killed this man. I'm pretty sure the bike flipped sides a few times as it slid 30 feet or so, both fairings were scratched to hell (though that could have been from other similar accidents).

Anyway, the dude gets up immediately and sheepishly waves the woman off saying he's fine, like he stumbled going up the stairs. He then picks up the bike, starts it up, and tears rear end down the street, running a goddamn red light in the process.

Squids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hahaha oh man I wish I could see something like that. The fact that he just got up zoomed away is hilarious.

• Locked thread