Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Alright Pipkin and Ace, as soon as I get my strut mounts and wheel bearings in the mail we'll set up a Saturday to put my new suspension on. I'll of course pay you guys with beer and :catdrugs:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

InitialDave posted:

Would be this be a good time to mention that Factory Five are based in MA?

About 10 minutes from my house.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

BigPaddy posted:

Well if I stay here I will get stabbed, I think getting shot is cleaner.

The office is out Burlington way in the suburbs so I can either just do the sensible thing and get 4wd or when it does snow just work from home and just go hog wild. Working from home sounds like a good option.

Thats really close to me. Sometimes the snow comes on quick and piles up, especially between highway lanes, but I've survived for the past decade with a fwd car and (sometimes) bald all-seasons. An Impreza or Evo with snows would be killer combos but its not necessary as long as you drive sensibly.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

BigPaddy posted:

The office is out Burlington way in the suburbs so I can either just do the sensible thing and get 4wd or when it does snow just work from home and just go hog wild. Working from home sounds like a good option.

On that note, if you ever want to go shooting, I'm sure some of us can arrange a get together.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Alright Pipkin and Ace, as soon as I get my strut mounts and wheel bearings in the mail we'll set up a Saturday to put my new suspension on. I'll of course pay you guys with beer and :catdrugs:.

Heh, word. I'm down whenever. Hit me up on IRC and you can come down to my shop. Although I think I swore I'd never touch another FWD GM again...

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

ACEofsnett posted:

On that note, if you ever want to go shooting, I'm sure some of us can arrange a get together.

We will make it happen. I especially enjoy bringing people on shooting trips when they come from places that can't have firearms.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Always good to have a second set of prints on the gun.

Having a look around I will probably pick up a WRX. Thanks for the help.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Who is a definite for the NEAI wheeling fest/camping for the 28th?

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Hey Kastein,

Thanks for helping me figure out what was wrong with my Jetta. The layering of duct tape, an aluminum can, duct tape, a hose clamp, and more duct tape actually held pretty well. I've got a new (used) hose on there now, and everything's working pretty well.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
no problem, it was pure luck that I noticed that burst hose :haw:

Glad to hear that the tape/PBR can/hoseclamps/tape "modern composite material" held up well.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

no problem, it was pure luck that I noticed that burst hose :haw:

Glad to hear that the tape/PBR can/hoseclamps/tape "modern composite material" held up well.

Sounds like a hipster fix to me.

You know, because of the PBR can. :monocle:

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
No, it's a hipster fix because of the Jetta.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Its a diesel too so its like a super hipster fix. Of course it was my PBR can :smith:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Team rally jeep painted their jeep with chalkboard paint. So we wrote something goony on it.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

UK guy should buy a wrx.

commissargribb posted:

Who is a definite for the NEAI wheeling fest/camping for the 28th?

I'll show up. I don't really have anything to wheel as I doubt I can get the CJ running in time.

I'll probably hang out, but not camp, since I live so loving close.

And yes NEFR was amazing.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Hey any Boston area goons know a good paintless dent removal guy? My Mustang got tagged by some rear end in a top hat last weekend and left a tiny dent in the back quarter panel. It's not worth getting the panel repainted since it's really so small that you need to really look to find it but it's probably pretty easy work for a PDR guy.

So anyone know of someone who does good work?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

kronix posted:

Hey any Boston area goons know a good paintless dent removal guy? My Mustang got tagged by some rear end in a top hat last weekend and left a tiny dent in the back quarter panel. It's not worth getting the panel repainted since it's really so small that you need to really look to find it but it's probably pretty easy work for a PDR guy.

So anyone know of someone who does good work?

I think the dent wizard guy we use at work is paintless

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Nodoze posted:

I think the dent wizard guy we use at work is paintless

Any website or specific guy? It seems as though dent wizard site is just some listing of PDR guys. PDR is one of those things that almost anyone can get involved in and I don't wanna deal with anyone who's just starting out on my car.

I called a guy last Friday and he was about as unprofessional as it gets. His website makes it sound like he's located in Newton and as soon as I'm on the phone he's trying to get me into Worchester. Before I haul over there.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

So I got the engine out of my new used Forester on Saturday and then Ace and kastein came over a little later and tore it apart. Actually kastein took it apart while Ace and I watched and drank beer. If anyone hasn't seen it yet this is what the engine sounded like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4MR9cAMHqE

This bearing is so bad it became one with the crank

The one with copper showing on the bottom is almost normal compared to the one on top thats been pounded out the sides :psyduck:

I wonder how long the previous owners were driving it with a knock. Seems like a lot of damage for the maybe 5 minutes total that I ran it to move it around.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

BigPaddy posted:

I daily drive an S2000 all year. You need snow tires in MA, AWD and traction control are pretty optional.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 31, 2012

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

drat and thats AFTER Ace worked on my car for a good 7 or 8 hours. Dude's a beast.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
alright, now I remember why I woke up so sore the next morning.

I'll definitely have to post pics up when I get that thing washed off and soda blasted. I'm probably going to rejoin the two case halves with long polished rods and use it as a coffee table with a glass top on it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Billy Tully posted:

This bearing is so bad it became one with the crank

That looks a lot like the "low mileage JDM!!1!" engine my old roommate bought off of a sketchy importer for his Integra. :haw:

It's a good thing we tore into it before it went into the car..

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The best part is that that's two bearings shell halves.

They got hammered down so thin that they spun, and ended up spooning between the crankshaft and the conrod, about 80% overlapped.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Going to check out that XJ with Slowisfast on the 11th and then if it's a go, bring it down to MA.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

:siren: :gooncamp: :siren:

So it's that time again, I think. Time for NEAI 2.0.

What dates in August / September would look good for everyone?

kronix posted:

Any website or specific guy? It seems as though dent wizard site is just some listing of PDR guys. PDR is one of those things that almost anyone can get involved in and I don't wanna deal with anyone who's just starting out on my car.

I called a guy last Friday and he was about as unprofessional as it gets. His website makes it sound like he's located in Newton and as soon as I'm on the phone he's trying to get me into Worchester. Before I haul over there.

Where is this Worchester, anyway?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

ACEofsnett posted:

:siren: :gooncamp: :siren:

So it's that time again, I think. Time for NEAI 2.0.

What dates in August / September would look good for everyone?

Where is this Worchester, anyway?

War-chester

Worcester

it's right next to Haver Hill.

Any date that's not the first weekend of a month (National Guard)

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 5, 2012

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

NEAI 2 needs to happen.

September works better for me. August is starting to book up.

Pick a date and it'll be in my calendar.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

where at?

My place is always open (and it's substantially less of a disaster now, and should be even better soon.) But it might be cool to switch things up a bit - I know Hillridge? suggested we have one at his hackerspace, and it sounds like they have some pretty awesome tools and stuff there. I want to head up that way at some point no matter where this happens.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

where at?

My place is always open (and it's substantially less of a disaster now, and should be even better soon.) But it might be cool to switch things up a bit - I know Hillridge? suggested we have one at his hackerspace, and it sounds like they have some pretty awesome tools and stuff there. I want to head up that way at some point no matter where this happens.

OH MAN that would be cool as gently caress.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
September doesn't work well for me, going to be offshore in Maine. Nonetheless, enjoy. Hill ridges place would be amazing.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I would go but you goons scare me. And I'm old

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

don't worry, no one got injured last time except for the engine blocks and toilets.

I take that back actually, some livers were harmed in the making of this video.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

August is pretty full for me

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

So September seems to be the consensus. Which weekend is now the question.. Obviously any date has it's up and down sides. Perhaps the Eighth and Ninth?

Super Aggro Crag posted:

drat and thats AFTER Ace worked on my car for a good 7 or 8 hours. Dude's a beast.

We do what we must, because we can.

daslog posted:

I would go but you goons scare me. And I'm old

Despite the toilet explosion and various dangerous activities, NEAI #1 was relatively free of :goonsay:. Question though : How old is old?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Can't do the 8th. It's the last roundy round event for dads racing.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Just FYI to all the NE dudes, there's a bunch of events going on at NHMS, weekend after this one

quote:

08/18 - 08/19/12
9:00am - 5:00pm
Classic and Custom Car Show
Moved from its traditional time during May's Vintage Racing Celebration, the Classic and Custom Car Show creates an outdoor museum of unique vehicles. The show features classics, customs and hot rods from clubs around the region.

08/18 - 08/19/12
NH Karting Association
S3 Parking Lot World Karting Association

08/18 - 08/19/12
U.S. Classic Racing Assoc.
Road Course U.S. Classic Racing Association

08/18 - 08/19/12
Stevens Advanced Driving School
S1 Parking Lot
http://www.nhms.com/schedule/

My shop will be running a CB350 in some of the USCRA races. The multi-events like this one with the vintage cars and the racing are usually lots of fun to hang out at.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I can't do the weekend of the 22nd in September, I have a video game tournament to help run/play in :goonsay:

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

commissargribb posted:

War-chester

Worcester

it's right next to Haver Hill.

Any date that's not the first weekend of a month (National Guard)

Sorry I let my native New Yorker out...

Also, where the hell did the Boston area goons go? What's up with all these meetings in the woods. Whatever happened to meeting up somewhere in Brighton or Somerville or some poo poo like that.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kronix posted:

Sorry I let my native New Yorker out...

Also, where the hell did the Boston area goons go? What's up with all these meetings in the woods. Whatever happened to meeting up somewhere in Brighton or Somerville or some poo poo like that.

They are all out protesting in front of Chick-Fil-A.

And it looks like if its early in September, I might be able to make it on a weekend. The offshore work doesn't start right away...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I cant do the 8th either but the rest of September looks ok. I can host it here at my place if need be. I have plenty of places to park/camp and garage space for 3-4 cars for wrenchin'.

• Locked thread