Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

Mine just shipped too. I ordered on the 28th. UPS tracking number isn't coming up with anything yet though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Gravitom posted:

Mine just shipped too. I ordered on the 28th. UPS tracking number isn't coming up with anything yet though.

I was just about to hit you with a probation since I just said stop it with shipping info posts.

I couldn't bring myself to sully your reputation since you're a 2001'er with a perfect rap sheet.

Consider this post, where I point out how you failed, as your punishment instead.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

IT Guy posted:

Not originally, no. But then my friend (who is a goon but shall remain nameless but I know you're reading this) loving told me that's what they were doing.
Dude, you're in all my favourite IT threads, you should know that if Google have the ability to extract your password in plaintext, then they're doing something very very wrong indeed.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Palpatine MD posted:

Y'all don't have it that bad. In the Netherlands we have to wait until somewhere in September(!) before Asus starts moving the Nexus 7.

I'm pretty sure the Netherlands has some other things going for it to balance out the fact you won't get an android tablet till September.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Has any review site done anything on how comics or books look like on the Nexus 7? Comics looked good on my 10" Iconia, but shrinking that down to 7" I don't know if the text will be readable.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Syrinxx posted:

For some people (like me), the cool thing about the Kindle Fire is that you can stream Prime video which is basically like Netflix. You can also check out ebooks for free from the Kindle Owner Lending Library which you can't do from any other tablet.

That being said, the app store has most of what you'd want with the downside of having updates be delayed because they need to be approved by Amazon. I'm sure there is stuff missing but you can sideload most apks including ones not in the Amazon store so it's not a huge deal.

Yeah but you can use the default browser to watch prime videos under ICS. At least that's what I have been doing. The speed and usability difference for me in the default Kindle Fire OS compared to it flashed with ICS was a very large jump. The difference between ICS and Jellybean on my phone was pretty significant as well.

Jellybean plus faster plus more ram plus the touch of Google in the hardware design kind of makes it a big difference. Plus camera, microphone and Bluetooth.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
Trying to figure out if I should go grab an Invisishield made for the galaxy tab 7 plus, or some other 7 inch tablet. Along with a case to use for now until official ones start rolling out. I'm always so worried about using tablets without having a case to keep them in :( I'm hesitant to put the tablet in my backpack without something to protect it. Maybe I'll just grab one of the cases designed for the Kindle Fire at Best Buy and use that until a good screen protector hits.

MrMoose fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 14, 2012

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Isn't Gamestop selling covers?

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game
Walked into a local Gamestop yesterday and asked if they had any Nexus 7's for sale. This was of course countered with "Did you preorder?" (Its truly amazing how they ask this about EVERYTHING). I told the nice lady I had not preordered, she then says "I did, but I can't afford the 250 right now, you want mine?"

Yes please!

I am a tech junkie, I have owned pretty much every tablet out there; iPad 3g, iPad wifi, Motorola Xoom, Galaxy Tab LTE, Blackberry Playbook, and the Touchpad. Having gone from IOS to Android and now to Windows phone on my Lumia 900, the one thing that always annoyed me to no end was how sloppy and hitchy navigating the Android UI was.

Jelly Bean finally seems to have that issue fixed. The new features are nice additions, but being able to swipe to a different screen, bring up the multitasking recent apps list without waiting 10 seconds, have multiple scrolling widgets on my home screens with no discernible impact is huge.

The 7 inch form factor deployed here is much more comfortable than the one the playbook / fire went with.

Still waiting on the shipping info for my Google play preorder.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
How is Google Now?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

BunLengthHotDog posted:

Walked into a local Gamestop yesterday and asked if they had any Nexus 7's for sale. This was of course countered with "Did you preorder?" (Its truly amazing how they ask this about EVERYTHING). I told the nice lady I had not preordered, she then says "I did, but I can't afford the 250 right now, you want mine?"
This was already asked two posts above me but I would also like to know if they are stocking the cover/case mentioned on Google Play.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Quandary posted:

How is Google Now?

Amazing and kinda creepy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I heard it mention that the GSM Galaxy Nexus that you get from the play store now allows you to unlock the bootloader without wiping the device, does anyone know if that holds true for the Nexus 7 as well.

I'm just trying to figure out if I should put off really setting the thing up until I have the opportunity to unlock the bootloader or if it won't matter.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Went ahead and put AOSP Jelly Bean on my Kindle Fire; what's up all you scrubs waiting for the UPS man :smugdog:

So far I'm highly impressed with 4.1.1. I have spent so much time fighting with and hating Froyo and Gingerbread that this has been a really significant improvement in user interface, speed and usability. I now have no hesitation in my plans to pick up a 10" Android tablet (provided it ships with JB)

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Syrinxx posted:

Went ahead and put AOSP Jelly Bean on my Kindle Fire; what's up all you scrubs waiting for the UPS man :smugdog:

So far I'm highly impressed with 4.1.1. I have spent so much time fighting with and hating Froyo and Gingerbread that this has been a really significant improvement in user interface, speed and usability. I now have no hesitation in my plans to pick up a 10" Android tablet (provided it ships with JB)

I didn't mind Froyo and GB, but I was mostly using Android at the time because of the more open platform (which is one of the things that bothered me about iOS). I was pretty happy with ICS, though, and JB is fantastic. Anybody who hasn't used Android since GB should really check out the Nexus 7 or the Galaxy Nexus with a JB ROM because it's totally different now.

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I heard it mention that the GSM Galaxy Nexus that you get from the play store now allows you to unlock the bootloader without wiping the device, does anyone know if that holds true for the Nexus 7 as well.

I'm just trying to figure out if I should put off really setting the thing up until I have the opportunity to unlock the bootloader or if it won't matter.

Nope, wiped the device, was kinda hoping it wouldn't but only had to replace a couple items.

I picked one up at Sams club yesterday, the Nexus 7 is cool as hell, everything you're expecting, (this coming from a rode hard, put away wet nookie) but unfortunatley this ones going back monday. Probably 8/10 times I turn the screen on the display is faded almost white, it comes back in a couple minutes but it ain' right.

No worrys tho, UPS will bring me another on Monday, this one gets exchanged then goes to the daughter for an early birthday present!

potentiometer fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 14, 2012

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u

Syrinxx posted:

How's the battery life been after you did that? I did the same thing and I think that the battery drains much faster on 4.1.1 than on the stock ROM.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Rohaq posted:

Dude, you're in all my favourite IT threads, you should know that if Google have the ability to extract your password in plaintext, then they're doing something very very wrong indeed.

I know man, I had a huge brain fart. It was spontaneous posting after my buddy told me what they were supposedly doing. I still don't know where he got that information and I didn't question it like I should have.

Stupid moment.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Do people actually call them Nookies?

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Ha, I been accused too many times of not being a people, so who knows?

To contribute, Brand spankin new (updated) Android SDK that include Jelly Bean Windows drivers that work really well. For all of your adb needs.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Mystery Opponent posted:

How's the battery life been after you did that? I did the same thing and I think that the battery drains much faster on 4.1.1 than on the stock ROM.
So far it feels like I'll have shorter overall battery life than stock but not by much. Tablets have pretty impressive battery life in general so I doubt it'll annoy me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I'm considering a permaban for using this horror of a word.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

It was the name of the first ROM("Nookie Froyo"), but I've never heard of the term used for the device itself.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Macmall is ironically selling the Nexus 7 with free shipping and for many people no tax:

http://slickdeals.net/f/4882390-Nexus-7-w-no-tax-free-shipping-at-Macmall

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

No and no one ever has except for that nerd. What does "rode hard put away wet" even mean??

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Bob A Feet posted:

What does "rode hard put away wet" even mean??
Not to derail and I'm not entirely sure you're serious, but it refers to a horse who is ridden hard and put in the stall while still sweaty.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Seriously. This isn't some Android/Apple fanboy poo poo, it's just unsettling.

It also reminds me of Limp Bizkit so that kinda sucks

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

A few retailers will now let you purchase the ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T:

Office Depot
Tiger Direct
B&H Photo & Video
Amazon

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I just noticed this, for anyone jonesing for more landscape orientation on their nexus 7: there's a rotation lock in your notification drop down. Tap it. Doesn't rotate the home screen, but apps (like Awful) can now sense when you flip the device.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I just noticed this, for anyone jonesing for more landscape orientation on their nexus 7: there's a rotation lock in your notification drop down. Tap it. Doesn't rotate the home screen, but apps (like Awful) can now sense when you flip the device.

Question about this: every review of the Nexus chalks the non rotating home as a negative thing. I can understand that cause I want a rotating home screen. But can't you just use a non stock launcher that has a rotation option?

Xarthos
Nov 3, 2004

Let's Talk Templates

Bob A Feet posted:

Question about this: every review of the Nexus chalks the non rotating home as a negative thing. I can understand that cause I want a rotating home screen. But can't you just use a non stock launcher that has a rotation option?

In Jellybean there is a on and off checkbox under Settings\display but that setting doesn't fix the homescreen. I've seen a screenshot of Nova Launcher doing the rotate for the desktop on a Nexus. I'd give that a try. I bought 2 but don't have them yet to verify.

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

Xarthos posted:

In Jellybean there is a on and off checkbox under Settings\display but that setting doesn't fix the homescreen. I've seen a screenshot of Nova Launcher doing the rotate for the desktop on a Nexus. I'd give that a try. I bought 2 but don't have them yet to verify.

Nova works great on the Nexus 7, screen rotates and it seems all the other functions available on Google Nexus are available on the N7.

Thermopyle posted:

Yikes, I always liked "that" word, always reminds me of one of the finer things in life.

Welp, back to "Barnes & Noble Nook modified to run on android 3.0"

potentiometer fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 15, 2012

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Rastor posted:

A few retailers will now let you purchase the ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T:

Amazon
Usually ships in 3-4 weeks? Fuuuuuck

edit: Amazon says this thing has a hell of a hard drive:

quote:

Hard Drive
Size: 32 GB
Type: Serial ATA
Speed: 100000 rpm

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 15, 2012

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Syrinxx posted:

Usually ships in 3-4 weeks? Fuuuuuck

quote:

Hard Drive
Size: 32 GB
Type: Serial ATA
Speed: 100000 rpm

That's a lot of rpms ;)

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

randyest posted:

That's a lot of rpms ;)

That's for the new Gyroscope feature.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Well I bought the Infinity. I wasn't able to choose overnight Prime shipping; maybe that will change once they have a firm release date. Hope this mofo gets Jelly Bean soon :ohdear:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Crowley posted:

That's for the new Gyroscope feature.

That's awesome - hold it at the angle you want, access the hard drive & let go, it'll just stay there :awesomelon:

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Are there any tablets available at retail that fall in between the 7 and 10 inch sizes? The xyboard at 8.2 or the tab at 7.7 & 8.9 are all I can find and they just seem to be wireless exclusives.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Horn posted:

Are there any tablets available at retail that fall in between the 7 and 10 inch sizes? The xyboard at 8.2 or the tab at 7.7 & 8.9 are all I can find and they just seem to be wireless exclusives.
iPads are 9.7" :q:

edit: he did ask for tablets between 7" and 10" and didn't specify OS (even though this is the android tablet thread) and there really aren't many options in that window. Sorry if it came across as a threadshit; that wasn't my intention. :shobon:

randyest fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

randyest posted:

iPads are 9.7" :q:

quote:

Drive by threadshitting. User loses posting privileges for 1 day.
Contributing to a derail. User loses posting privileges for 12 hours.
Low content post & general unnecessary nastiness. User loses posting privileges for 1 day.
Failure to read a thread, the first post, or even the thread title. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.
Unfunny sarcasm post. User loses posting privileges for 1 day.
I'm amazing you manage to type through the haze of smug that surrounds you. User loses posting privileges for 3 days.
We get it. User loses posting privileges for 1 day.

(emphasis added)