Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

b0nes posted:

Why do people poo poo on Wikipedia as a reference so much? I realize anyone can edit what's on there but isn't most of the stuff verified to be correct? It isn't like peoples dogs and cats are logging in and messing with stuff.

Wikipedia itself tells you not to cite it, but rather to cite its sources. It's fine to mention it in casual conversation, but only a fool would cite it in any serious capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Like any "tool" wikipedia has it's proper use; a jumping off point for researching something. A lot of things stated as fact are based off of sources that are not stating them as fact.

It mostly gets poo poo on by people who a well learned in something and have to deal with people who think they know everything about the topic because of a couple hundred words on a web page.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What's up with the signature "This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead?" Who did it, and why?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

tarepanda posted:

What's up with the signature "This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead?" Who did it, and why?
Their signature gets set to that when they're banned.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

So, reasonably large amount of water in a several square foot section of carpet. No shop vac, and I can't take it up (lovely rented apartment).

I've got a dehumidifier on, a couple fans pointed at the section and I've tried to soak up as much as possible with towels/cloths/paper towel.

Anything else I can do to reduce the clusterfuckery of my water-spilling actions?

Travakian fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 14, 2012

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Travakian posted:

So, reasonably large amount of water in a several square foot section of carpet. No shop vac, and I can't take it up (lovely rented apartment).

I've got a dehumidifier on, a couple fans pointed at the section and I've tried to soak up as much as possible with towels/cloths/paper towel.

Anything else I can do to reduce the clusterfuckery of my water-spilling actions?

Do you have a bunch of bulk rice you don't need or want?

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Do you have a bunch of bulk rice you don't need or want?

Yes. Was my first though, but would rice all over be a better idea than fans blowing directly? I feel these ideas are mutually incompatible.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

hooah posted:

My wife has a character from a medieval/fantasy movie who she can't remember the name of. In some of her words, he wears a black cloak, is an archer, might be some other character's half-brother. He saves (some of?) the main characters in "a dark place," which is a two-leveled room. At the beginning of this scene, he had his hood up and you think he's a bad g. He's got black hair and a "strong nose".

She swears the guy is from the Lord of the Rings, but I'm fairly familiar with both the books and the movies, and he doesn't sound like anyone I can think of.

I didn't see the Dragonquest movie, but is it Raistlin? I seem to vaguely remember a character like that from the books.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Ben Davis posted:

I didn't see the Dragonquest movie, but is it Raistlin? I seem to vaguely remember a character like that from the books.

It turned out to be some guy from Eragon, which I haven't seen, so that's why I was useless.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

Travakian posted:

Yes. Was my first though, but would rice all over be a better idea than fans blowing directly? I feel these ideas are mutually incompatible.

Throw the rice into the fans.

Just use rice and keep the dehumidifier on.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
Kitty litter will work too. I had to use that when a gallon of olive oil decided to burst open in my car one time.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

spregalia posted:

Kitty litter will work too. I had to use that when a gallon of olive oil decided to burst open in my car one time.

Don't try this at home.

Sawdust kitty litter is fine, but the clay kitty litter is not particular;ly useful soaking up many things, and the stuff it does soak up makes for a mess that is siginficantly harder to clean up that the original.

(I took the kitty litter advice once, before I thought about how effective clay is at absolutely ruining carpet.)

kapalama fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 14, 2012

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Have Transatlantic flight durations been significantly reduced over the last few decades, or has it mostly remained the same since the 60s?

By Transatlantic flight I specifically mean large commercial passenger L.A./N.Y. to London.

Elphiem fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 14, 2012

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
"Born To Die" by Lana Del Rey sounds just like an other song, but which song is killing me.

Is there a thread where this sort of question can get answered? "Identify Which Song Another Song SOunds Like?"

I want to say it is "Hope There's Someone" by the Antony and the Johnsons, but it might be some Moby song.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I have this doll that belonged to my father's cousin's father, and the Antiques Roadshow Megathread linked in the OP is closed, so I'm not sure where to ask about it.

I'm not really looking to sell it or anything, just curious about what it is, where it might have come from, etc. and no one in the family seems to know anything about it, other than that it's been around for as long as anyone can remember.

It seems to be one solid thing (although maybe the head is just joined on, I don't know) and just sits like that by itself, it's not held up by anything.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Looks like a traditional Japanese doll, often bought for daughters to celebrate the 7-5-3 holiday.

Like so: http://nakamachi.m2-navi.com/ichimatsu/index.htm

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Elphiem posted:

Have Transatlantic flight durations been significantly reduced over the last few decades, or has it mostly remained the same since the 60s?

By Transatlantic flight I specifically mean large commercial passenger L.A./N.Y. to London.

Unless you count the Concorde, which is no longer flying, things have stayed about the same since the 747 was introduced in the 1970s.

Old West
Jul 12, 2012

ACTION
Please bear with me, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to word this. Is there a name for saying something along the lines of "This steak was dry to say the least!"? It seems like there would be a name for the general structure of "to say the least" to me, for some reason. I understand that it is an idiom of speech, but does it have a particular label?

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Old West posted:

Please bear with me, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to word this. Is there a name for saying something along the lines of "This steak was dry to say the least!"? It seems like there would be a name for the general structure of "to say the least" to me, for some reason. I understand that it is an idiom of speech, but does it have a particular label?

Probably discourse marker.

Old West
Jul 12, 2012

ACTION
Yeah that adds up in my mind, thanks a lot!

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Obvious dirt aside (the previous tenant was difficult) I wonder what this is. You can drill it into the hole by the window. I was told it provides some ventilation but I can't feel any difference from the hole or its surroundings. Any idea?
Thank you!

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Uh, did you try screwing that knob I and pulling on it to slide the thing open?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Obvious dirt aside (the previous tenant was difficult) I wonder what this is. You can drill it into the hole by the window. I was told it provides some ventilation but I can't feel any difference from the hole or its surroundings. Any idea?
Thank you!

I think it helps prevent condensation from building up and allowing mold or mildew to grow there.

e: And what he^ said

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
So, just a handle then? There is a bigger handle on the side, not on the photo (sorry) and the window doesn't slide but opens via a hinge on the side (again sorry for leaving this out before). The bigger window beside it does not have this (mildew). Once it's screwed in, there is no wiggle room. It remains a mystery... Thanks though.

e: Could be that it is supposed to hit whatever is on the windowsill before the window hits it (bumper). That's my best guess.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 14, 2012

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
It's really hard to tell from that pic but maybe when screwed in it keeps the window slightly open? You know, for a slight draft?

Trainrides
Jun 1, 2012

Old West posted:

Uh, I'm not a linguist, so I have no idea, but maybe you could add more examples? I imagine that if there's a name for this kind of "structure" or "function" (that is to say, group), there would be more members to the group?

One-Man-Bucket
Jan 6, 2004
The banjo is the superior instrument
I'm looking for a youtube video from an old SA thread from years ago. I think the thread was about modifying/mixing scenes from movies, and someone posted a fantastic youtube video with what I think was the ending from Shawshank Redemption cutting into a scene from the Rocketeer.

The dialogue went something like "... so i decided [...] to become the Rocketeer!".

Does anyone recognize this or is there a better thread somewhere to ask in?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

It's been requested in the new Re-score Films/TV thread with no luck yet, but I'd hang around there on the off-chance someone manages to dig it up.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Since this has never happened before:

I was just driving home and a rabbit ran out in front of me. I stopped, and last I saw of it, it was smack-dab centered under my car. I did not hear a thump, for the record, and I had the music off in my car.

There's no damage to my front end, so here's my question: what are the odds that the animal ducked and just waited until my car passed to keep going? This is 50% "I don't want to go out to my parking spot and find a dead animal" and 50% "Gosh I hope I didn't kill that poor animal?".

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
How much of a person's original body has to exist for them to be legally considered "human?" I heard that you're still considered human so long as you still have a brain and a spinal cord, even if the rest of your body is artificial.

Also, what's the proper grammar on question marks and quotation marks? Is it "On the inside?" or is it "On the outside"?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Lance Streetman posted:

How much of a person's original body has to exist for them to be legally considered "human?" I heard that you're still considered human so long as you still have a brain and a spinal cord, even if the rest of your body is artificial.

Also, what's the proper grammar on question marks and quotation marks? Is it "On the inside?" or is it "On the outside"?
It varies by country. In the US the punctuation goes inside the quotes. In the UK I believe it goes outside. Everywhere else I don't know.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
An old high school buddy of mine just added me as a friend on Steam, and I was immediately struck by the fact that he has invested 2,435 hours or 101 days of time into playing Team Fortress 2, including 70 hours in the past week. I have no idea how the TF2 community functions; is it common to see people with playtimes like this? Are there a lot of people who play this much? Has anyone seen someone with a greater number? I'm just dumbfounded by this and I have the urge to find out whether it's in any way normal, or if my buddy turned into some FPS freak of nature.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Those ads that say things like "Harvard scientists BAFFLED by [insert your town here] housewife's one weird trick to weightloss/teeth whitening/eternal youth." How are they getting around laws? I mean, could I take out an ad that says "Research at MIT shows that the world is flat " and be completely in the clear?

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 15, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Huge Liability posted:

An old high school buddy of mine just added me as a friend on Steam, and I was immediately struck by the fact that he has invested 2,435 hours or 101 days of time into playing Team Fortress 2, including 70 hours in the past week. I have no idea how the TF2 community functions; is it common to see people with playtimes like this? Are there a lot of people who play this much? Has anyone seen someone with a greater number? I'm just dumbfounded by this and I have the urge to find out whether it's in any way normal, or if my buddy turned into some FPS freak of nature.

You can get some stuff in TF2 just by having your character sitting connected to a server. He's probably doing that.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

MisterBibs posted:

Since this has never happened before:

I was just driving home and a rabbit ran out in front of me. I stopped, and last I saw of it, it was smack-dab centered under my car. I did not hear a thump, for the record, and I had the music off in my car.

There's no damage to my front end, so here's my question: what are the odds that the animal ducked and just waited until my car passed to keep going? This is 50% "I don't want to go out to my parking spot and find a dead animal" and 50% "Gosh I hope I didn't kill that poor animal?".

You would hear/feel it almost always, even with the radio on (outside of 500 watt 18" subs going). Rest easy.

There's a good reason the "hey I didn't know I hit __" doesn't go over well with police: A pebble in your tire will annoy the poo poo out of you, hitting almost anything at speed will/should be noticed.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Lance Streetman posted:

There is no "legally considered" because this has never been tested in court. When it is tested it will be very interesting - let's say you can replace half a brain & spinal cord - if you split someone in half & repair each half, is it 1 or 2 people now?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lance Streetman posted:

In America, always on the inside. Elsewhere it depends on whether the punctuation is part of the quotation.

America posted:

Lance Streetman asked "what's the proper grammar on question marks and quotation marks?"

Lance asked a question that confused me. What are "quotation marks?"

Elsewhere posted:

Lance Streetman asked "what's the proper grammar on question marks and quotation marks?"

Lance asked a question that confused me. What are "quotation marks"?

But as long as you're consistent about how you use them it usually doesn't matter.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Lance Streetman posted:

I seriously doubt that "legally considered 'human'" is even a concept. There are not many laws that revolve around "humans;" most tend to be about "persons" or "parties". It may not seem like an important distinction, but law is all about being pedantic, and very rarely concerns itself with matters of substance.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I see advertisements all the time for crappy health products like herbal flu remedies that claim they are proven in clinical tests to reduce the time you have the flu by 50%. That is just one specific example and I have seen many other similar claims made about equally dubious products. Are they exploiting some sort of technicality to claim that their product is clinically tested and works? I was thinking something along the lines of they got results from their product in a tightly controlled laboratory environment that has no bearing on what how the product would behave in real life.

I live in Australia and we have pretty tight advertising restrictions on health-related products here and they could never get away with outright lying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

fuckpot posted:

I see advertisements all the time for crappy health products like herbal flu remedies that claim they are proven in clinical tests to reduce the time you have the flu by 50%. That is just one specific example and I have seen many other similar claims made about equally dubious products. Are they exploiting some sort of technicality to claim that their product is clinically tested and works? I was thinking something along the lines of they got results from their product in a tightly controlled laboratory environment that has no bearing on what how the product would behave in real life.

I live in Australia and we have pretty tight advertising restrictions on health-related products here and they could never get away with outright lying.
Probably something like 10 sets of questionnaires with 10 people each and conveniently forget about the 7 sets that show the flu lasting longer or no difference. Or it may be completely genuine/the placebo effect and the comparison is with taking nothing.

In the UK they have to mention the sample size, so we get things like shampoo ads bellowing "Makes Your Hair Up To 76% Shinier-Looking!" with "Based on a survey of 23 people" in tiny writing at the bottom.