Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Randalor posted:

I don't really remember which other cards there were, except that the lowest non-attack card was 4 cost. We were nickle-and-diming with the victory cards, but I think part of the problem is that the person who owns the game just took the standard cards from the base sets and put them all into one deckbox, because "It's not like we'd ever run out of them anyways" (and usually we don't, and it's less of a hassle to put them away after than to re-sort them and make sure each box gets the exact right amount of cards) so the curse deck was probably 2 or 3 times larger than it should have been.

Uhhhhhh yeah that's called breaking the game. Playing the game with the actual rules would probably make it more fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

OperaMouse posted:

For which games do you guys consider it vital to sleeve the cards?

After a couple of games of Dominion, I've sleeved it up, and I recently required 7 Wonders, which probably will get the treatment as well?

Any others?

Yes, sleeve 7 Wonders if you want to play it more than a half dozen times. I sleeve most of my cards in games I plan on keeping for awhile. Then if later I decide to sell the game, the cards are still in near mint condition.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

OperaMouse posted:

For which games do you guys consider it vital to sleeve the cards?

I seriously consider it for anything that I know will be shuffled any more than a little. YMMV, I just like how much better it generally is to shuffle the cards, in addition to protecting them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

silvergoose posted:

Uhhhhhh yeah that's called breaking the game. Playing the game with the actual rules would probably make it more fun!

Yeah, no kidding. It's for this reason that there are limited numbers of curses (and, for that matter, VP cards) in the game - 8/12/12 VP cards, and 10/20/30 curses. Play with the wrong number, and you wind up with an interminable endgame where people can't afford to do anything cos their decks are gunged to gently caress, but the game doesn't end because nobody runs out piles.

Pizza Dude
Feb 22, 2011
Every now and then me and a couple friends like to play a game of Catan and have a lot of fun. What would you dudes recomend for something new? Something that can be played in around 90 minutes would be ideal. Also, keep in mind that Catan is pretty much everyones only venture into board games, and none of us would want to play something with a theme based around an ip of some sort (like Battlestar Gallactica or Game of Thrones)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I'd probably recommend Carcassonne. If your usual group is four people or less, I'd say pick up Carcassonne: The City. You might also like Dominion or 7 Wonders, if you're open to primarily card-driven games. All of the above are better games than Catan, in my opinion, with a lot more staying power.

Edit- Actually, is 90 minutes your target playing time or your maximum? Just wondering, because Carcassonne, Dominion, and 7 Wonders can all be played in under an hour once you know what you're doing.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 14, 2012

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pizza Dude posted:

Every now and then me and a couple friends like to play a game of Catan and have a lot of fun. What would you dudes recomend for something new? Something that can be played in around 90 minutes would be ideal. Also, keep in mind that Catan is pretty much everyones only venture into board games, and none of us would want to play something with a theme based around an ip of some sort (like Battlestar Gallactica or Game of Thrones)

For me, I'd say the natural graduation from Catan would be Caylus.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Finally won a convincing victory in Dungeon Lords. I think my play improved upon realizing at the start of this game that you start with 3 food/gold, so there is no reason I should expect to start year two with 1/2 of each. I think snagging both a food and a gold production room made it a lot easier. I had to get a demon in year 2 to get rid of my evil vampires, was rapidly approaching absolute evil due to the year 1 combat spells, he didn't really fit into my scheme of things. Neither did that year 2 paladin, gently caress that guy.

King Chicken
Apr 23, 2009

Pizza Dude posted:

What part of Catan really stood out to you? Some groups like the trading, others like gathering resources and building stuff, others like the cutthroat blocking of other players and avoiding those traps. Depending on what parts of Catan stood out to you as fun (or unfun), there are a ton of possible recommendations.

Pizza Dude
Feb 22, 2011

King Chicken posted:

What part of Catan really stood out to you? Some groups like the trading, others like gathering resources and building stuff, others like the cutthroat blocking of other players and avoiding those traps. Depending on what parts of Catan stood out to you as fun (or unfun), there are a ton of possible recommendations.

I guess mostly the resource gathering and building, and just general strategizing. We rarely trade honestly.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Orvin (and anyone else interested in watching the game), thread is up for 1830. Instructions should be there for how to share the files necessary to play.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Pizza Dude posted:

none of us would want to play something with a theme based around an ip of some sort (like Battlestar Gallactica or Game of Thrones)

Why is this?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So here is a (:nws:) a new Kickstarter for a game with mechanics that might appeal to a lot of people, getting on the whole deckbuilding craze, along with a pretty interesting theme (Greek vs. Norse gods) that could expand pretty easily to other pantheons and be pretty interesting. Then you scroll down and go "Oh." The people who are bringing this over are the people who brought over Tanto Cuore, which actually explains an awful lot.

Also, is that game stored in a coffee can?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Greek vs Norse gods with a 7 wonders or Cyclades style art would sound interesting to me. This, not so much.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

One of the stretch goals should be a full body pillow featuring your future waifu :v:

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011

Pizza Dude posted:

I'll make some recommendations in a sec, but first I have to say:
I was with you for a long time about games with an IP theme. Always struck me as a hokey gimmick and an excuse for a quick cash grab. Until I sat down and played BSG. I've never seen the show, I hate IP themes on principle, and I honestly had to be dragged kicking and screaming into that first session, but that game just plain kicks rear end DESPITE being a tie-in. Easy to learn, not terribly long, and produces pretty much the maximum amount of tension that six dudes sitting on couches in an airconditioned condo can experience.

As for games to move on to after Catan, I would suggest Survive! if you like being a bastard to your friends, Citadels if you have a large group and don't have a corn-suppression mechanism strong enough to have fun with Space Alert, or El Grande if you want something a little meatier but still quite approachable. It's also got a gorgeous board and a nice historical setting with mechanics that tie well to the theme.

For something really different, Shadows over Camelot is a favorite of the cooperative gaming crowd, and its got a nice twist in that one player is trying to subtly sabotage the groups efforts. It's a good coop that avoids the complexity of something like Arkham. A lot of veteran gamers dislike it for its reliance on card draw but its remained one of the best selling, most discussed, and highest rated games for a good reason. I highly recommend it to a novice group.

I almost forgot one of my favorite games that is also approachable to novice gamers! Cyclades, and I cannot recommend it enough. It's got a gorgeous board, plastic fighty mans, and a slick Ancient Greece theme, complete with ritual sacrifice to the Gods and a few dashes of mythology.

If Zeus hosed Caylus, and their baby hosed Risk, then Cyclades would emerge from the ocean in a clam shell.

hairrorist fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 15, 2012

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Why is the artwork the way it is? I mean, seriously, the game looks like it might be interesting, but I won't be picking it up. I would prefer to play something that isn't full of cheesecake artwork. Is it too much to ask for a game that I can play in public without everyone thinking the players are just a bunch of perverts?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

In regards to BSG, the show was the reason why I bought the game, but the game was the reason why my friends watched the show.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah you shouldn't play board games in public if you are concerned about the image you are presenting.

If you're playing a board game in public, no one will think you are a bigger geek if its full of spaceships. You're already full-on geekwad. It's like scoring 100 on a test. Sure, you might be infinitely smarter than the test was able to determine, but to everyone else, you're just a 100%.

It helps once you've played games long enough to see that themes are really just wrappers on a set of mechanics.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Pizza Dude posted:

I recently played a game called Ad Astra That I found really fun and was in the same vein as Catan, but in space and no dice. Basically, explore planets, set up cities/factories to mine those resources, and create new ships along the way. The main difference is a sort of "card track" where players place up three actions they want to perform while taking into account you feel the other players will react/choose. Its less random than Catan, and has just enough strategy to make you think and to make your actions feel like they count without anything feeling unforgiving. Sounds to me like you may like it, at least.

Pizza Dude posted:

I guess mostly the resource gathering and building, and just general strategizing. We rarely trade honestly.

This part of Ad Astra should appeal to you then since, whenever I traded, It was just to trade in resources with the bank at 2:1 trades, and just sometimes with players (and I won both games we played). Trading is there but apparently not a necessity.

Also, I get your aversion to IP themed games, but BattleStar Galactica is pretty loving great.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 15, 2012

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

hairrorist posted:

Yeah you shouldn't play board games in public if you are concerned about the image you are presenting.

If you're playing a board game in public, no one will think you are a bigger geek if its full of spaceships. You're already full-on geekwad. It's like scoring 100 on a test. Sure, you might be infinitely smarter than the test was able to determine, but to everyone else, you're just a 100%.

It helps once you've played games long enough to see that themes are really just wrappers on a set of mechanics.

Worrying about people thinking you're a geek because you're playing a game with spaceships is a lot different than worrying people will think you're a perv because you're playing a game with animu titties busting out all over the place.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah, I guess anime tatas would count as 'extra credit.'

On the subject of games with classy themes vs. games with somewhat embarrassing themes, I've been hearing a whole lot of great things about Lords of Waterdeep. My next purchase I'd like a classic eurogame strategy, and I've heard that Lords of Waterdeep is actually a very deep and cerebral game that just happens to have a theme catered to 15 year old boys who have never spoken to a woman.

But, I've also never played Caylus, which seems like the obvious choice. Are these two games actually comparable in terms of strategic options and fun? Is there a newer game that is threatening Caylus' niche?

hairrorist fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 15, 2012

DeepSpaceBeans
Nov 2, 2005

Let's build us a happy, little cloud that floats around the sky.

hairrorist posted:

Yeah, I guess anime tatas would count as 'extra credit.'

Compare and contrast the following two statements:

1; This is my complete collection of Uwe Rosenberg promo cards, mint in their sleeves.

2: This is my collection of foiled lolita space maid game cards.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Caylus is the Euroest Eurogame ever to Euro. I love that kind of thing but it's not to everyone's taste. It's not that complicated a game and adds all the typical worker placement / bidding for locations / vp scoring into a nice package.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

hairrorist posted:

've heard that Lords of Waterdeep is actually a very deep and cerebral game that just happens to have a theme catered to 15 year old boys who have never spoken to a woman.

Whoever described waterdeep as cerebral to you is probably pretty dumb. It's decent enough for a quick introduction to worker placement games, but it lacks a lot of the depth on the backend that keeps heavier worker placement games interesting. Without a long-term engine to build it ends up being mostly tactical.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
That's pretty much what I expected, but after BSG I was more hesitant to go with my gut.

Pizza Dude
Feb 22, 2011
Thanks for the rec's. The reason why I wont pick up something like BSG is because I know for a fact that I won't be able to convince my friends to play it. I realize that game mechanics should be all that really matters, but at the end of the day, the theme should at the very least not drive players away.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
In that case, Cyclades is probably the best compromise between approachability (anyone who's played risk will understand the basics of play), deep strategy, strong theme that isn't cornball, and introduces some mechanics like worker placement that form the foundation of modern designer board games.

Also, you can ruin someone's day in mere seconds if you've painstakingly built an invasion strategy over several turns the right way. The time that it takes to set something up makes the payoff that much better.

It can end abruptly, though. There are some house rules that fix that, but the base game is fine.

hairrorist fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 15, 2012

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Not that it matters for recommendation's sake, but Cyclades is not a worker placement at all. It's a bidding game.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Well, you have to bid to place your worker. It's the exact same concept. You choose a spot to claim, that spot determines what you can do that round, you cannot do any of the other actions that round, and no one else can pick that spot... pretty much the definition of the mechanic.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

hairrorist posted:

and no one else can pick that spot...

Except they can, but they have to outbid you? It's a bidding game.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Once the spot is assigned it is taken for the duration of the round.

Dear God folks, did I not just say it was an introduction to the mechanic? It functions in much the same way? No, it isn't exactly like the more traditional Eurostyle WP. It is nearly identical with the twist that you have to purchase your placement in auction. Whatever, I really don't want to argue semantics. The point was that if you grasp how that kind of mechanic changes the way the game plays, making it more strategic by forcing a choice between very different, very limited and very specific roles every turn, you can grasp worker placement in any context. If it helps you understand how close these two things are, instead of saying worker, say gold coins. And lots of more 'pure' WP games have a way of removing or mesing with other peoples' placement.

Cyclades is a hella fun game that has some pretty neat mansfight and also a lot of more intricate planning and strategy involved including a gentle introduction to some of the more subtle mechanics that form the core of modern boardgaming.

E'rryone okay with that, or can we take a break from helping out a novice and get back to arguing about what shade of orange the title background for Agricola is. I say it's clearly a gamborge, and I'll fight you on it. I will fight you.

vvv
Read more than two lines of a post?

hairrorist fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 15, 2012

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

DontMockMySmock posted:

Except they can, but they have to outbid you? It's a bidding game.

But you're bidding on a role. So it's a role selection game.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

It's probably not a good idea to try to pigeonhole mechanics into specific categories, especially with more games hybridizing aspects.

King Chicken
Apr 23, 2009
Cyclades is clearly an area majority game.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Pizza Dude posted:

Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride are games that share the same space as Catan (I'd recommend Carcassonne first and foremost). Alternatively you could get the Seafarers expansion to Catan, which adds some more interesting mechanics to the game. Dominion and 7 Wonders are shorter games but definitely scratch that same 'strategic engine building' sensation. Of all of these Dominion is arguably the best.

If you're feeling a little more adventurous try Puerto Rico (although it will take longer than 90 minutes on a first-time play...).

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Redacted

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 19, 2013

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Indolent Bastard posted:

I played my first game of Arkham Horror last night. As I arrived to the games night I saw two groups, one large, one small. I sat down with the large group and five hours later the game was over. I truly see what everyone complains about with this game. Too many elements that are required to win can only be obtained randomly making strategy a bit of a joke.

I did have a good time, but I mostly attribute that to playing Montery Jack (the Indiana Jones clone) in character. I didn't do any voices or acting, but did make him run headlong at monsters and into portals, getting in over my head as often as possible. That made the game enjoyable, not sitting around for turn after turn as I slogged through alternate dimensions and watched the other players do stuff. And certainly not the final grind as the game concluded, that was the worst. Even though the game ended with us barely winning and stopping the Horror from appearing it did not have a dramatic feel to it, but a simple exercise in "if you move here you can do this, then I will move here and do that". Making it an exercise in following the required steps to win, not actually racing wildly against the ever increasing doom track, only to pull of a miraculous win in the final moments.

Would I play it again? Maybe, but that next run through might be my last if it turns out to be the same kind of randomly seek items while alternately loitering around waiting to do stuff.

This wouldn't have happen to have been in Louisville, would it? Because I saw several people playing AH for the first time yesterday, saw how they were still playing after 4 hours, and I wept for them.

I ended up playing a game called Railways of the World (I think). It was okay, not that exciting or interesting to me, but that may have been caused by the one player who made the drat thing drag for an hour longer than it needed to be. It was my first time playing it, but I caught on to the rules pretty quick with just a few snags that were easily ironed out. The other woman though, oh gently caress...At one point I took her nearly 15 minutes to make a single decision. And this was the first game I had played that day. It nearly killed my will to stick around. Luckily things picked up after that.

Also, I am apparently really hard to read when it comes to traitor games, which I suits me fine.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Railways of the World, babies first train game. From there you can go to Steam/Age of Steam or pick it up a notch and join the wonderful world of "18xx"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
I can't decide if I like The Ares Project or not. It's basically what Starcraft (the video game) would be if someone translated it into a card game and added a giant mech as a playable race. That's cool and all, but as someone who enjoys Starcraft (the video game), I'm disappointed at how boring the combat is in Ares Project. It does a great job at simulating building and preparing units under fog of war, but actually utilizing the armies you've built comes down to some pretty heavy dice-rolling which is somewhat opposite of how fighting in Starcraft (the video game) feels like.

Also the rulebooks are atrociously written. Like, Fantasy Flight rulebooks have been easier reads, and the books are useless as references.

So yeah, I can't figure out if I like the (rather awesome) base-building mechanics of The Ares Project enough to overlook the (rather lovely) dice-slogging combat.

• Locked thread