Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

That's a 20 odd hour drive, isn't it? Have you started saving for gas or plane? September's coming up mighty fast.

Yeah I was going to budget 600 including tux rental, now I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

Does Canada hand out military discounts like candy, like the US does? It may be worth looking into since (in the US anyway) it can save you a pretty hefty amount on all poo poo travel-related.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

tuyop posted:

Better get your hitchhiking thumb ready, son.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Could you buy a second hand tux from a thrift store and get it altered?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

^^^Why not rent one?

tuyop posted:

That wedding is September 2nd in Sault Ste Marie.

I would fly if I were you. Or if a bunch of you are going, please let them drive and chip in for gas.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

tuyop posted:

Ask for the groom to cover your flight/hotel, if that can't happen, say sorry you can't go.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Zeta Taskforce posted:

If you stayed at home you are going to spend a couple hundred dollars just to eat, unless it is rice and cheap hotdogs and you already picked on him about that.

Wait, are you being serious or mocking Tuyop here? I can't tell anymore, you seem to be implying an average person should spend "a couple hunded dollars just to eat" for a week. What, should he be eating at a steakhouse for three meals a day?

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

Chronojam posted:

Wait, are you being serious or mocking Tuyop here? I can't tell anymore, you seem to be implying an average person should spend "a couple hunded dollars just to eat" for a week. What, should he be eating at a steakhouse for three meals a day?

Chronojam I am a man of both over-sized and refined taste, and despite gobbling up all the grass-fed steak and raw fish I can find in this city, my food bill has yet to cross $150/week. I can only assume that Tuyop must devour a mountain of gold-encrusted rice and halibut, as is the custom of his people, if his bills are larger than mine.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zeta Taskforce posted:

^^^Why not rent one?

Because he might be able to buy one for $50 and get it altered for $25. I was able to buy most of a tuxedo for $15 and it fit perfectly. I still need to get a vest or cummerbund for it.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

A student posted:

I still need to get a vast cummerbund for it.

Indeed you do.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Well I worked out travel with the groom, so there will be three of us heading up and four of us heading back. Still working out accommodations but right now it'll probably be about 70 bucks each. I already paid for a third of the tux rental ($120 total, so I need 90).

And then it's just a matter of heading back to Halifax for the second wedding.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I can see why someone might not want to buy a tuxedo from a thrift store, and you've already made a down payment on a rental. There are a few things you can do for the next wedding.

There are suit warehouses where you can buy suits from $99 and up. Sometimes they were bought by wardrobe departments but they were never worn, sometimes there were only worn once or twice.

There are also places that sell tuxedos that had been rentals, consignment stores, stores online that sell tuxedos for under $150, and so on.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Last night I went to a party and slept in my friend's spare bedroom. When I woke up there was 200 dollars on the floor next to me.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
I say keep the dent and the 500 bucks.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\/\ Well obviously, as long as the paint isn't damaged. It'll have to get fixed at some point though.

In other news, I listed my room so that I could find a subletter.

http://fredericton.kijiji.ca/c-real-estate-room-rental-roommates-Subletter-wanted-furnished-325-GREAT-LOCATION-W0QQAdIdZ395992027

173 views and no replies. I don't think my pitch is working.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

tuyop posted:

/\/\/\ Well obviously, as long as the paint isn't damaged. It'll have to get fixed at some point though.

Why?

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's just a dent. It doesn't /need/ to get fixed. Keep the cash, looks like your wedding trip just got covered.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Higgy posted:

It's just a dent. It doesn't /need/ to get fixed. Keep the cash, looks like your wedding trip just got covered.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care that there's a little dent. My window still works so whatever. I'm thinking about when I sell the car next year. I don't know how body damage factors into the equation when selling a car, especially when it's on a seam like that, it might be hard to repair.

Also, I used half the money to buy a ten speed road bike and a lock that came on kijiji this morning. Just went for an 18k bike ride to try it out, looking up in the like, bearing down position hurts my back a bit but I'm sure I can get used to it. Also road bikes are super fun.

<3

My run tracking app has a cycle function too, and at 24km/h, an 18km bike ride burned about 600 calories. That means my daily commute would burn about 1600 calories return. I'm going to have to eat significantly more rice and beans.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis
Tuyop don't forget that if you go bike riding without one of those special seats it'll damage your taint over time and you will have erectile dysfunction. Better make sure to get one of those what with your marriage coming up.

PubMed source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20102446

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Old Man Fancington posted:

Tuyop don't forget that if you go bike riding without one of those special seats it'll damage your taint over time and you will have erectile dysfunction. Better make sure to get one of those what with your marriage coming up.

PubMed source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20102446

Well my seat is kind of worn and doesn't have great tilt control anymore. What seat will protect my taint best?

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis
There are seats that are shaped differently that supposedly take the pressure off the nerves inside your taint. The biking megathread in YLLS is probably a good place to look for more info.

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006
this title is custom-made!

tuyop posted:

http://fredericton.kijiji.ca/c-real-estate-room-rental-roommates-Subletter-wanted-furnished-325-GREAT-LOCATION-W0QQAdIdZ395992027

Wait, this is a joke, right? There's no way this is really a listing you put up in the hopes of actually subletting your place, right? I mean, I get the humor you're going for, but that's not a listing on a comedy website. Unless I'm mistaken, that's an actual place that people list real estate, and you're trying to convince someone to take your lease in exchange for money. No, I don't think you're pitch is working. You should do a real listing that actually tries to up-sell your place if you really want to get rid of it.

Seems to me that you and your car are conspiring together to ruin you. (I'm lying, it's just you. You're the only one trying to ruin you.)

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tuyop posted:

I'm confused. Why do you even need a subletter? Are you going to give the original plan of living in a tent beside the army base a try? Also I never thought I would read the words "brutal concrete jungle" and "Fredericton" in the same sentence.

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

archangelwar posted:

I say keep the dent and the 500 bucks.

Agreed. People will still buy the car with the dent in it.

Also re-write that ad to sound professional. This is not the time to try to be witty.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"Would you like to sublet my place? It's a heap of poo poo and I'm insufferable. Perfect!"

Also never fix that dent.

Also also 600 Kcal seems like a lot to me, not that I'm any kind of expert, but 30 minutes on my rowing machine is only about 60 Kcal so that seems like kind of a lot.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\ 120 cal/hr is a pretty slow split. At around 1:45/500 the c2 at the gym gives me something ridiculous like 1050 calories per hour. "30 minutes on a rowing machine" leaves a lot of room for intensity.

Also estimating calories burned for any given exercise is very difficult and shouldn't be counted on for anything, but putting in 2 hours of fast biking a day will obviously mean that I have to eat more.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I'm confused. Why do you even need a subletter? Are you going to give the original plan of living in a tent beside the army base a try? Also I never thought I would read the words "brutal concrete jungle" and "Fredericton" in the same sentence.

Technically I don't. But technically I also need to pay the lease until August 31st. The landlord is willing to overlook the last month, but I said I'd try to find a replacement in the meantime. Also my roommate is anxious about being stuck for the rent even though I gave him six weeks notice.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

"Would you like to sublet my place? It's a heap of poo poo and I'm insufferable. Perfect!"

Also never fix that dent.

Also also 600 Kcal seems like a lot to me, not that I'm any kind of expert, but 30 minutes on my rowing machine is only about 60 Kcal so that seems like kind of a lot.

30 cal? You realize you can pull the handle and the seat moves right? I don't want to go all :goonsay: but that number seems really really low unless you're barely putting any effort in.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well to be honest it's not actually measuring anything besides "reps". It's a very inexpensive rowing machine. I usually have it dialed up to 8 (out of 10) for resistance, so maybe I'm doing way more than it is estimating, I dunno.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Well to be honest it's not actually measuring anything besides "reps". It's a very inexpensive rowing machine. I usually have it dialed up to 8 (out of 10) for resistance, so maybe I'm doing way more than it is estimating, I dunno.

Not that it's really on topic, but 30 calories is like 15 minutes of simply being alive for the average human being. (assuming 8 hours of sleep, 25 years old, male, 2100cal/day BMR, sedentary activity level, 15%bf, etc.)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh Stamina Body Trac Glider 1050, how could you let me down this way?

e. in all seriousness, even given imprecise calorie numbers, it's a pretty great piece of kit for $125.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

When has this thread ever been on topic?

Pretty much any piece of exercise equipment spits out garbage as far as calories burned. But most of them way overestimate what they are burning for calories, sometimes by half again as much. Which is unfortunate because our eyes are also really good at underestimating portion size, but at least people feel like they are accomplishing something. But whatever app that said 600 Kcal seems pretty spot on. But isn’t 2 hours of fasting cardio a bit much?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zeta Taskforce posted:

When has this thread ever been on topic?

Pretty much any piece of exercise equipment spits out garbage as far as calories burned. But most of them way overestimate what they are burning for calories, sometimes by half again as much. Which is unfortunate because our eyes are also really good at underestimating portion size, but at least people feel like they are accomplishing something. But whatever app that said 600 Kcal seems pretty spot on. But isnÂ’t 2 hours of fasting cardio a bit much?

Only time will tell! I'll be pretty upset if I go from eating 3 dollars a day and spending ~4.60 on gas, to eating 7.60 a day to fuel my body instead of a car.

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

tuyop posted:

Only time will tell! I'll be pretty upset if I go from eating 3 dollars a day and spending ~4.60 on gas, to eating 7.60 a day to fuel my body instead of a car.

Heaven forbid you should spend money to become healthier.

All jokes aside, I saw a very recent pic of you and you've really withered, Tuyop. I won't repost the pic out of respect for your privacy, but please consider it worth the extra few dollars per day for the added health benefits of you getting the extra exercise.

I know you can't really lift because of your injuries, but at least biking will help get your legs swole again.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Old Man Fancington posted:

Heaven forbid you should spend money to become healthier.

I already spent that money years ago. The only thing to do now is to spend as little as possible until it's paid back. This will only last a few years or so, I'll survive.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

Also, I used half the money to buy a ten speed road bike and a lock that came on kijiji this morning. Just went for an 18k bike ride to try it out, looking up in the like, bearing down position hurts my back a bit but I'm sure I can get used to it. Also road bikes are super fun.

<3

My run tracking app has a cycle function too, and at 24km/h, an 18km bike ride burned about 600 calories. That means my daily commute would burn about 1600 calories return. I'm going to have to eat significantly more rice and beans.
That's... actually that's a quality bike. With that seat position either you are riding with your seat too low, or the frame is too big for you. Sounds like you're making it work though. You do get more used to the position.

The usual calculation is 25kcal per km so you're not too far off.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tuyop posted:

I already spent that money years ago. The only thing to do now is to spend as little as possible until it's paid back. This will only last a few years or so, I'll survive.

I know we have all been about sacrifice and short term pain for long term benefit. But compared to your health, money is just money. Money can be replaced, your health can not. There are ways to eat healthy for cheap and ways to exercise for cheap. We can discuss that. But your health is so important. There are multi millionaires who would give it all up if they could have their health back. Don't let it go for the sake of $3.00 a day.

If I recall you are 24 and if all you see are your college friends and military buddies and all of you are young and no matter what junk you throw at your bodies it just bounces off, those days don't last that long. I am 37 and I like to think I am in good shape. I have a friend who is 51 who looks amazing, he runs marathons and he has a body that 25 year olds would be jealous of. But I have coworkers who are not even 30 and have let themselves go.

I do hope that by now you have quit smoking.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I do hope that by now you have quit smoking.

Yeah, my quit day was April 3rd. I don't even miss them. I do miss the mosquito repelling qualities of cigarettes though.

Bike update

... And that's a flat tire and a lovely walk.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

tuyop posted:

... And that's a flat tire and a lovely walk.

Got tuyop'd.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
So it's not just your car, it's vehicles in general.

Please don't become an airplane pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grok
Jul 23, 2006

ZOMBIE uses BITE!
It's super effective!
Lipstick Apathy
If there's anything more helpful than a small pump and a patch kit, I don't know what it is.

• Locked thread