Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Cleretic posted:

How's Nature Affinity going? That seem to have been sitting pretty good, but I have no idea.

Looking at the version on Mids, it's not particularly looking good. Most of the powers are on ridiculously high recharge times and half of them are useless in the vast majority of builds. One of the powers is even a direct copy of Choking Cloud, while another is basically a whimpy toggle version of Triage Beacon.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jul 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Miijhal posted:

Looking at the version on Mids, it's not particularly looking good. Most of the powers are on ridiculously high recharge times and half of them are useless in the vast majority of builds. One of the powers is even a direct copy of Choking Cloud, while another is basically a whimpy toggle version of Triage Beacon.
If the BETA! version of Nature in Mid's is accurate, at least Nature's clone of Choking cloud has the fact it requires no Hit check going for it? Sorta doubt that's the reality though.

I hate sets with long recharge buffs. So many people screaming if you aren't Kitted out to make them perma :saddowns: Even with the changes to make things like Speed Boost AoE, I wouldn't touch Kinetics with a 10 foot Snipe just on principle. I really should make a /Radiation Emission something one of these days though. But I'm so indecisive about what. Class wise and paired powers wise, as I love me some "not using Sets ever" and simplicity.

Wouldn't want an Illusion/Rad troller though, I've seen way to many of those and while effective, I've come to sorta hate Decoys for some reason. Some slight temptation for Earth/Rad Controller, but I don't want to fall into the trap of using the same power-set I love on an archtype forever again (Nothing but Willpower and Elec armor as far as the eye can see on my melee classes).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 14, 2012

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Alright, Pez, you are redeemed. Somewhat. I guess? Dogfucker Gypsy Summers actually listened.

And she did remove the bit from her bio.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Dinictus posted:

Alright, Pez, you are redeemed. Somewhat. I guess? Dogfucker Gypsy Summers actually listened.

And she did remove the bit from her bio.

Props on her/him/it for removing it, but that attitude of 'if you don't want to read my sick perverted bio you shouldn't have opened it!' means she still needs a slappin'.

Scurvard
Feb 19, 2007

I've started playing this game F2P having last subscribed back in 2004. It's good nostalgia and pretty fun to play. I just hope spines don't become a flavor-of-the-month thing - my main dude "Action Cactus" is a spines scrapper and I've only ever seen one other spines player since I've been back.

But the best part of this game is people watching. Overall I think Champions Online has funnier and more incomprehensible profiles, but CoX players take this poo poo SERIOUSLY. Here's some kool profiles I've come across:

I love that film "Mister Chief." Futanarifunhouse.com.

This guy is my fave. LET ME YELL YOU MY STORY!!!!

And it must be pinku (pink) and chibi (small) sized. On a scale of 1 to Invader Zim Fan how insufferable do you think she is in real life?

Good poem

im kyle im 11 guns are cool

If I could get an invite to the goon channel that'd be great. My global handle is @Scurvard and I play on Virtue.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Scurvard posted:

And it must be pinku (pink) and chibi (small) sized. On a scale of 1 to Invader Zim Fan how insufferable do you think she is in real life?

Saw one of her alts on a farm the other day and holy hell is it disturbing. The fact that he/she is procreating makes me lose a little faith in humanity.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

Scurvard posted:

im kyle im 11 guns are cool

I want to say this guy is a parody of Maelstrom, because that single line pretty much sums up Maelstrom's backstory and motives.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I can appreciate the CO community's complete and utter lack of quality in storytelling. You look anywhere hard enough and you'll find the most hilarious twelve year old's idea of a totally awesome character. One of my favorite scenes I've ever seen in RP was the most anime fight ever, an anime kitsune vs. some mage who tried to call upon the Nine Divines form the Elder Scrolls games to destroy his opponents vs. a totally-not-from-Dragon-Age Blood Mage. In a high-traffic corridor of a club that can't have been ten feet wide.

But I prefer CoX's stupidity, it's more efficient. Everyone gets right to the point, you will know immediately that the girl at the bar's into furry futas and the guy she's flirting with apparently killed at least three major NPCs. The lack of a text limit in CO's bios means everyone just goes on and on and you really have to sift through to find exactly what kind of stupid you're dealing with (which granted, is normally much stupider than CoX's average).

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 14, 2012

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Metrohunter posted:

I want to say this guy is a parody of Maelstrom, because that single line pretty much sums up Maelstrom's backstory and motives.

Still a better motivation than Desdemona's. She's got hotpants, demons, and sometimes a Carnie mask, so I'm assuming she's from Pocket D.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Cleretic posted:

But I prefer CoX's stupidity, it's more efficient. Everyone gets right to the point, you will know immediately that the girl at the bar's into furry futas and the guy she's flirting with apparently killed at least three major NPCs. The lack of a text limit in CO's bios means everyone just goes on and on and you really have to sift through to find exactly what kind of stupid you're dealing with (which granted, is normally much stupider than CoX's average).

:stare:

You are not joking, are you?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Dinictus posted:

:stare:

You are not joking, are you?

Either they don't have a text limit, or it's really, really high, because I never saw anyone have trouble with it.

Oh yeah, and their bios work by HTML. So either you get a literal block of text because the writer didn't realize he has to type <br> for every line break, or you get every goddamn section of Darkgoth McVampire heralded by a bright purple header followed by two green paragraphs and some red OOC information.

As far as I can tell, every single individual part of CO is specifically designed to be what you think you want, until the playerbase shows you exactly why you should have never asked.

Super Taranta!
Feb 19, 2008

Ta-tar-ranta-ta-ta
Super taran-ta taran-ta
yo

can i get an invite

@Super Taranta

not played this game since 2005 and my NCsoft account won't let me log back in since it's been permanently blocked, oh well, i'll just kiss my 50s goodbye

Scurvard
Feb 19, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I can appreciate the CO community's complete and utter lack of quality in storytelling. You look anywhere hard enough and you'll find the most hilarious twelve year old's idea of a totally awesome character. One of my favorite scenes I've ever seen in RP was the most anime fight ever, an anime kitsune vs. some mage who tried to call upon the Nine Divines form the Elder Scrolls games to destroy his opponents vs. a totally-not-from-Dragon-Age Blood Mage. In a high-traffic corridor of a club that can't have been ten feet wide.

This is pretty accurate. For example:

WORD SALAD.

This one is great for the last few sentences.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Oh dear. Apparently my lovely Ol' Chevy got generic'd. But only its handle. Not the background. Not the character :ohdear:

EDIT: Well, now he's my Shoddy Ol' Chevy.

Dinictus fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 14, 2012

Ktzi
Aug 1, 2006

There are plenty of spiders!
Just rename him as "My Old Chevy!"

Also snagged the name Super Meat Boy for my inevitable SS/Bio. How long do you think that'll last before being generic'd?

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
change it to Super Beef Boy when it is

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Oh, so I wasn't the only one thinking this.

Oh, Maelstrom. All you're good for is beating up on national television for ratings :allears:

As for my time on Champions online, back when I was still playing it (couldn't afford to keep up my Sub from not playing it often enough) My robot wizard there kept track of every single usage of the word "Lilith" in a name due to no name limits there. Stopped counting around 40. He also asked the multitude of "I am a special girl born with unfathomable magical powers!" Why there were so many of them, and how come a robot was so much better at magic than them (Pure Arcane picks baby! Oh, you picked Invulnerability? I guess you're not a real wizard then).

If I ever got around to playing on Virtue more, I don't doubt I'd fine my Robot Wizard's bio posted up here sometime as an example of stupidity. "I'm a wizard! Yaaay!" :v:

Speaking of names changed just enough not to get genericed, I have CO to thank for my favorite one. Deceased Puddle :allears:

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Scurvard posted:

good poem

For the first one, I've gotten my stalker Power leveled by her boyfriend? Husband? She ended all of her sentances in what appeared to be japanese letters and very detailed ^_^-esq smilies.

As far as the second, I like how even viewing it caused such a mental disconnect that you actually lost server connection.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
Was kinda quiet so I tried to go head over to The D to see if I could find some weird bios of my own.
Nothing much in The D, but I found something pretty weird in Talos

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

WeX Majors posted:

Was kinda quiet so I tried to go head over to The D to see if I could find some weird bios of my own.

That suit of chainmail must be really inconvenient when ERPing. Noisy stuff, chainmail. You'd hear him coming a mile away.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That's a pretty baller name, TBH.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I'm putting together Baby's first Ice/Ice defender for tomorrow or something (I've yet to actually make a defender like, ever. So simple is good).

I notice name White Chocolate Ice is available. I... I don't think I can do that name justice. So I'll probably just make another robot or something :downs:

EDIT: Cool As Ice is taken on Freedom, but NOT Virtue?!

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 15, 2012

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

WeX Majors posted:

I want to see his Adult Profile.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
If I establish that I'm really and actually talking about Hotdogs, can I get away with talking about Meat Popsiclies in my Bio for Frost Frank?

I's Virtue, I'm sure there are STANDARDS I have to step up to in my Bio.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I think the Bio Armor thread has become more about just two guys arguing with each other than bio armor at this point...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

BenRGamer posted:

I think the Bio Armor thread has become more about just two guys arguing with each other than bio armor at this point...

I'm not even looking, so I'll just guess. Reppu and Pine? Maybe Arcanaville instead of Reppu.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I haven't played this game in years and years and years, thinking of giving it another whirl now it's f2p. I'm going to Brute to ease myself back in - is there anything I should really know about their powersets?
(Last time I played everyone was nuts about Regen, but I'm sure everything's changed since then)

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Regen is absolutely awful, but Brutes are impossible to gently caress up! I suggest Elec/Shield for hilariousness.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

I haven't played this game in years and years and years, thinking of giving it another whirl now it's f2p. I'm going to Brute to ease myself back in - is there anything I should really know about their powersets?
(Last time I played everyone was nuts about Regen, but I'm sure everything's changed since then)
Just remember that not every Primary powerset on Brutes will just be a "lower base damage because I'm brute", and you should be fine.

I can see why they would have longer recharge for Claws on brute compared to Scrappers, considering fury generation... But did they have to make some claw powers longer recharge, and take MORE ENDURANCE on top of it? :argh:

They did some changes to Brute Fury generation too. I don't brute that much, so I don't know if the claims of "We made it harder to get max Fury, but you reach and keep middling fury so much easier now!" Patch notes from the time they gave tanks Bruising (Every tanker causes a -20% damage resist debuff with their first attack) are completely accurate.

I'm a fan of Willpower and Electric armor for low brainpower No Sets secondaries. Willpower can get you more regeneration than Regeneration (the power set) can thanks to Rise To The Challenge, beyond when Instant healing would be functioning. Plus it's also got Quick Recovery and other goods.

EDIT: vvv 60-80 is nice sounding. But I'm glad I went for Scrapper on my War Mace/Regen build since A) Opening with full strength CLOBBER. B) No micro taunt, no problems. C) 50 fury is Scrapper Base Damage.

Still, I may actually give Brute another go sometime now... But my making a Claws/Elec brute because my first successful stalker was Claws/Elec, then being surprised by the "Longer recharge, fair... MORE ENDURANCE!? Why!?" soured me to them somewhat I guess.

I almost made an Elec/Elec brute, I KNOW those are monsters... But I made a Tanker instead because I wanted the Elec armor toys faster. My first Tank to reach 50 :toot:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 15, 2012

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
As a brute, you're at about 60-80% Fury all the time. 100 is effectively impossible, but you jump to 50 almost instantly.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Cuchulain posted:

As a brute, you're at about 60-80% Fury all the time. 100 is effectively impossible, but you jump to 50 almost instantly.

This statement was true up until the introduction of the Brute ATO proc. You can now reach and maintain 100% fury with that brute proc.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Wheres the best place to slot it right now? It's sitting in my footstomp; but I can't get past that 80% mark.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

PPM enhancements take a hit on their firing chance when they're slotted in AOE powers, since the current PPM formula lowers the firing chance based on radius or cone arc and target cap. This is in addition to the normal formula based off base recharge. I dunno what it would be for Foot Stomp off hand, but it would be much higher in a single target power. It still can work in Foot Stomp, but they're balanced around the idea that you're hitting the target cap with each activation.

That'll all change a bit when they swap non-store bought to a slightly modified PPM system, though (ie the great proc loving overenening of 2012).

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

TalonDemonKing posted:

Wheres the best place to slot it right now? It's sitting in my footstomp; but I can't get past that 80% mark.

For SS I currently have it in KOB for my SS/Fire/Soul, Haymaker for SS/SD/Soul, and Follow Through for TW/X.

IW will be a set less affected by the proc changes due to momentum.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Cleretic posted:

I'm not even looking, so I'll just guess. Reppu and Pine? Maybe Arcanaville instead of Reppu.

Planet_J and Rylas...

The latter is also crying for more nerfs for some reason.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

BenRGamer posted:

Planet_J and Rylas...

The latter is also crying for more nerfs for some reason.

Yeah Reppu has fortunately been absent from the thread in a while. I don't think he realizes it, but the set is actually buffed for the end game scheme of things considering how much he wanted it nerfed in to the ground.

The set now has a mini-permanent fiery embrace in offensive mode FFS.

Yes, the survivability of the set has been toned down a lot from what it was initially when it dropped, but I'm still going to be able to pull off something fairly interesting build wise when it goes live.

Here are some numbers on the proc in offensive:

Your Arc of Destruction hits Rikti Pylon for 419.22 points of smashing damage!
You blast Rikti Pylon for 100.63 points of bonus fire damage!
Your Offensive Adaptation hits for 41.85 points of Toxic damage!

Your Genetic Contamination poisons Rikti Pylon for 24.42 points of toxic damage!
Your Offensive Adaptation hits for 5.87 points of Toxic damage!

Your Follow Through hits Rikti Pylon for 407.44 points of smashing damage!
Your Follow Through causes Rikti Pylon to bleed for 18.89 points of Lethal damage!
Your Offensive Adaptation hits for 26.96 points of Toxic damage!

Your Rend Armor hits Rikti Pylon for 578.84 points of smashing damage!
Your Offensive Adaptation hits for 37.98 points of Toxic damage!

Your Crushing Blow hits Rikti Pylon for 478.18 points of smashing damage!
You hit Rikti Pylon for 90.38 points of bonus Lethal damage!
Your Offensive Adaptation hits for 25.84 points of Toxic damage!

The damage of the proc is affected by an attacks base recharge it seems. That could make things interesting.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 15, 2012

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Tommy 2.0 posted:

The damage of the proc is affected by an attacks base recharge it seems. That could make things interesting.

I really hope it's as simple a formula as that. Spine Burst and Quills are both around 15s, which would put them at at least 20 damage per by those numbers. I'm sure there's something that makes it not ridiculous in aoes, but double damage auras with a taunt aura and Water Spout is enough to make me not care all that much anyway.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I really hope it's as simple a formula as that. Spine Burst and Quills are both around 15s, which would put them at at least 20 damage per by those numbers. I'm sure there's something that makes it not ridiculous in aoes, but double damage auras with a taunt aura and Water Spout is enough to make me not care all that much anyway.

AoD is a cone/aoe and it does the most BA proc DMG out of all the attacks in my ST chain and it also has the longest base recharge out of them all (20s compared to RA's base 16s and FT's base 10s).

And jesus....spines/bio is going to be ridiculous AOE with spout with the KD proc in it.

This is sort of what I am thinking come the spines changes and guessing that Lune/Barb swipe will be staples of a ST chain and the long cast time of Impale will make it more a utility type attack.

http://www.cohplanner.com/mids/down...E25FE035B51F379

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 15, 2012

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Tommy 2.0 posted:

AoD is a cone/aoe and it does the most BA proc DMG out of all the attacks in my ST chain and it also has the longest base recharge out of them all (20s compared to RA's base 16s and FT's base 10s).

And jesus....spines/bio is going to be ridiculous AOE with spout with the KD proc in it.

It has a low target cap though iirc, either 3 or 5, compared to a normal aoe's 10. I imagine if they were going to penalize aoes it'd be done that way. Hopefully I'm wrong though and this poo poo's just turns out to be ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Tommy 2.0 posted:

This is sort of what I am thinking come the spines changes and guessing that Lune/Barb swipe will be staples of a ST chain and the long cast time of Impale will make it more a utility type attack.

http://www.cohplanner.com/mids/down...E25FE035B51F379

I am totes gonna shamelessly rip this build off, thanks. Is the blank slot in Lunge for the upcoming ATO2 proc?

• Locked thread