Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Double Happiness posted:

Is "Mrs. Brown's Boys" actually worth watching despite it looking like complete garbage? Everyone at work is raving about it.
We've been watching a few episodes at work and found it funny, but then again we were pissed off our heads so that may have influenced it.

I've also got to mention I've finally gotten around to watching In The Loop and it is loving hysterical, is there anything in this vein to be recommended by other UK Goons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Happiness
Aug 4, 2010

Quit smoking reduces heart risk

Flipswitch posted:

We've been watching a few episodes at work and found it funny, but then again we were pissed off our heads so that may have influenced it.

You get pissed at work?! Sign me up!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Mrs Browns Boys including out-takes within the finished product really throws me for a loop. It's a traditional poo poo sit-com (except with added swearing), but every so often the insufferable main actor mocks the side-parts for cocking up their lines? What??! Anyway, it's poo poo, gently caress it.

fake e: Flipswitch, would you think I were taking the piss if I recommended The Thick of It?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Double Happiness posted:

You get pissed at work?! Sign me up!
Once work is done, yup!

Mr. Squishy posted:

fake e: Flipswitch, would you think I were taking the piss if I recommended The Thick of It?
Actually I wouldn't, largely because I haven't gotten around to seeing that either and I'd completely forgotten about it. So that's one to the list, cheers mate. :)

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Flipswitch posted:

I've also got to mention I've finally gotten around to watching In The Loop and it is loving hysterical, is there anything in this vein to be recommended by other UK Goons?

Veep is pretty watchable in (essentially exactly) the same vein.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

Mrs Browns Boys including out-takes within the finished product really throws me for a loop. It's a traditional poo poo sit-com (except with added swearing), but every so often the insufferable main actor mocks the side-parts for cocking up their lines? What??! Anyway, it's poo poo, gently caress it.

I think Mrs Brown's boys is one of the funniest things that's been on TV for ages and isn't a panel show. It's had me crying with laughter numerous times. It isn't as original as The Office was, it isn't as witty or satirical as The Thick of It, and it certainly isn't as clever as either of those shows, but gently caress me it's funny. The actors (half of whom are married or related to one another) really enjoy making it and that comes across in every episode.

If you instantly dislike it without giving it a go because you're a comedy snob (as I did), you're missing out.

edit: re: Peep Show recommended by GimpChimp below; also adding recommendation for that show, having just watched the last four series which I'd not seen when they were first aired. All 7 series are available on youtube or 4oD in the UK.

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 15, 2012

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Flipswitch posted:

Apart from Veep there is also The Thick Of It which is in even more the same vein, having not only the same writers and director but even some characters. In The Loop is a spinoff of The Thick Of It, basically, and Veep is the broad US adaptation.

Apart from that I think Peep Show shares a pair of the writers, and the general dark biting humour of people perpetually out of their depth, just in a regular social setting rather than a political one.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I think Mrs Brown's boys is one of the funniest things that's been on TV for ages and isn't a panel show. It's had me crying with laughter numerous times. It isn't as original as The Office was, it isn't as witty or satirical as The Thick of It, and it certainly isn't as clever as either of those shows, but gently caress me it's funny. The actors (half of whom are married or related to one another) really enjoy making it and that comes across in every episode.

If you instantly dislike it without giving it a go because you're a comedy snob (as I did), you're missing out.

It is on a creative par with a cat turd.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Thanks for the recommendation guys, I'll check those out as big name shows tend to pass under my radar as I'm not a huge TV watcher to begin with, but this is the stuff I live for.

RE: Mrs Brown's Boys, generally it's a bit so-so, but some of the scenes are pretty funny, one of my favourites being in the first two episodes when one of the filming cameras crashes through the set window.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It is on a creative par with a cat turd.

I agree, but it's also fun.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
There's a genuine level of creativity that's going on in Mrs. Brown's Boys that people who write it off so quickly are missing. It's not like the guy who writes it has no idea multi-camera sitcoms are outdated and unfashionable.

It's not some postmodern take on it with genius levels of subtlety (the point is that's exactly what it's not, in fact). But there is comedy snob outrage to it, because people can't understand the reason people enjoy it. It is not drawn from the same philosophy as shite like Coming of Age.

This isn't a "it is funny, you just don't get it" argument. I don't even like it that much. It's a "it's part of a cultural tradition you're not versed in" argument. Things like cabaret or musical theatre are the same, there's a palette to develop with it. The topsy-turvy thing is that this makes it completely inaccessible to a lot of people who like high-brow comedy.

It's a "folk sitcom".

Hoops fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 15, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's a week-old bag of kittens, floating down the canal and into your living room.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

I feel you have not given my argument a lot of consideration.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Hoops posted:

I feel you have not given my argument a lot of consideration.

And yet he's not wrong, for once.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Flatscan posted:

And yet he's not wrong, for once.
He is, you're all just being big angry nerds. I'm actually quite proud of coming up with that "folk sitcom" tag, because it's bang on the money. It's okay to not like folk music, but to say it's all poo poo is because you don't have the cultural understanding of its purpose.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I agree with Hoops and Mrs Browns Boys is loving awesome. Its in this odd place where it looks like a completely unprofessional production but it feels like everything clicks into place perfectly. You can tell that they had a lot of fun making it and that just adds to the charm of the show.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It's good that the Beeb is catering to such folks, I suppose. They pay their license fee too. But I'd hoped that we, as a people, had overcame the need for a Mrs Browns Boys. I dream of a day when we've abolished BBC 1, and the only comedies shown are by Armando Iannucci, with the occasional Hugo Blick about an unhappy middle-class couple.
Some more In The Loop suggestions: Yes Minister & Yes Prime Minister, which are the model for ITL's warts and all look at government inaction. Bit dated now but some of the writing's immortal; The Day Today & Brass Eye, both absurdest fake news shows with an eye on the manic nature of the news media, which is a key part in ITL. And I think that I'm Alan Partridge shares a lot of ideas about what's actually funny with ITL. Less high-stakes though, and basically apolitical though.

fake e: BBC4 has a 3-part series on the world as viewed through three colours: gold, blue and white. It's getting a lot of ad-time, but the idea doesn't seem well-founded. I think it's part art criticism, part history and part material sciences?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
In the name of science, I watched the episode of Mrs Brown's Boys currently on iPlayer.

If anything, it reminded me most of Children's TV sitcoms, only with swearing and "adult themes".

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's good that the Beeb is catering to such folks, I suppose.

Wow, I could smell the smug all the way down here.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

One channel, one audience, one program.

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006
Mrs Brown's Boys is an extremely well done multi-camera sitcom - it's not When the Whistle Blows. Obviously if you don't like that sort of show you won't enjoy it, but if you can't tell why somebody would like it and not, say, My Family or that godawful superhero show with the talking baby, you must not be able to see past your own negative reaction and aren't in any position to be snobby about tv. I can't stand Big Bang Theory, but I can see that it's better than Two Broke Girls.

Mr. Squishy posted:

fake e: BBC4 has a 3-part series on the world as viewed through three colours: gold, blue and white. It's getting a lot of ad-time, but the idea doesn't seem well-founded. I think it's part art criticism, part history and part material sciences?

Haven't watched it yet, but that sounds a bit like those microhistory pop-science books - histories of salt or cod or something. Good idea for the telly actually, as it gets round the usual issue of rehashing the same introductory/overview pieces that take up space in more straightforward docs.

Hoops posted:

It's not some postmodern take on it with genius levels of subtlety (the point is that's exactly what it's not, in fact).

I don't know, a lot of pomo self-referencing and deconstruction is just a gussied up version of the wink to the audience stuff you get in lowbrow theatre/tv. Obviously Brecht's making a serious point and they're having a laugh, but it's kind of funny to see people insisting that they are more sophisticated for watching shows that stick to pedestrian realism. It's like, the accent stuff in 'Allo 'Allo is in a sense cleverer, and certainly way more fun, than just having the dialogue in subtitles - you have to pick up that it's a stand in for the language changing, appreciate the difference between what's being shown and what's "really" happening, the concept of an speaking english with a british person's french accent is conceptually quite tricky, etc.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Z-Magic posted:

Even the idiots running comedy at BBC3 can't keep a great show down

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2012/06/29/15689/ideal_to_be_made_into_a_movie

So does this mean White Van Man is gone?

Mrs. Brown's Boys makes me physically ill.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

That's a bit extreme mate, the Irish are still human beings.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Yes Minister & Yes Prime Minister,
Seen these but it's always worth watching them again. Wasn't there a bit of chatter of them doing a modern/new series of it?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

I dunno, think the idea is a rather interesting one. Was recently reading "Through The Language Glass" by a bloke called Guy Deutscher, and he was talking about how different languages affect how you see colours, and that pretty much all languages take some time to get around to naming all the colours we see. Black, white and red come first, then later green and yellow are names. A lot of very old languages don't have a word for blue; instead it's simply absorbed into their words for black or green. The Ancient Greeks referred to the sea as "wine-coloured"!

So I'm looking forward to watching it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Irisi posted:

I dunno, think the idea is a rather interesting one. Was recently reading "Through The Language Glass" by a bloke called Guy Deutscher, and he was talking about how different languages affect how you see colours, and that pretty much all languages take some time to get around to naming all the colours we see. Black, white and red come first, then later green and yellow are names. A lot of very old languages don't have a word for blue; instead it's simply absorbed into their words for black or green. The Ancient Greeks referred to the sea as "wine-coloured"!

So I'm looking forward to watching it.

BBC Horizon has covered this topic a few times... the episode "Do You See What I See?" talks about that aspect specifically, and there's also one called "Colourful Notions" that's interesting.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
The sheer volume of Olympic adverts is starting to get to me. I'm fed up of hearing a load of sappy bollocks about ~DREAMS~

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Ein Bear posted:

The sheer volume of Olympic adverts is starting to get to me. I'm fed up of hearing a load of sappy bollocks about ~DREAMS~

This is the time when I'm glad I don't have a TV and just watch things on iplayer and 4oD, especially thanks to adblock. I can't imagine how annoying the Olympics adverts are.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Ein Bear posted:

I find the MacDonalds one particularly nauseating, as it's been like two weeks since they were airing their Euro 2012 one.

gently caress you, MacDonalds, you're not the voice of the nation.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I could understand this kind of marketing for the Euros, but what Olympic exclusive sport does anyone give a poo poo about at any other time of the year?

Double Happiness
Aug 4, 2010

Quit smoking reduces heart risk

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Wow, I could smell the smug all the way down here.

Surely you've noticed by now that this has to be the most smug thread on this board?

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
The Inbetweeners is now available for streaming on Netflix. Everyone should go watch it now. Awesome stuff.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Double Happiness posted:

Surely you've noticed by now that this has to be the most smug thread on this board?

I suspected as much. I don't read much of TVIV, though, so I have little to compare it to!

WescottF1 posted:

The Inbetweeners is now available for streaming on Netflix. Everyone should go watch it now. Awesome stuff.

I don't know if Wescott means the film or the series, but do as Wescott says immediately if you haven't seen either.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Every person I know who likes The Inbetweeners is a knobhead. It's the comedy equivalent of being a Chelsea fan.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Handsome Dead posted:

Every person I know who likes The Inbetweeners is a knobhead. It's the comedy equivalent of being a Chelsea fan.

Yes, that's the best way to look at it. <this set of knobheads> like <this program> therefore <this programme> is only liked by <knobheads>. Good work, mate.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Handsome Dead posted:

I could understand this kind of marketing for the Euros, but what Olympic exclusive sport does anyone give a poo poo about at any other time of the year?

What does that matter? The Olympics are a huge event and McDonalds have spent a huge amount of money to be an official sponsor. Nothing wrong with them doing ads for it.

edit: also, what's an "Olympic exclusive sport?"

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 16, 2012

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Handsome Dead posted:

For me, if you replace "the inbetweeners" with "Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle" then i agree.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm surprised you know enough people who watched Comedy Vehicle to make that connection! I've liked Stew for years so have enjoyed the show a lot, and everyone I know who likes it (not that many) is thoroughly lovely.

Inbetweeners is enjoyable enough but possibly overhyped in an era where there's not usually much in competition comedy wise. A few episodes of Peep Show every 18 months, maybe some Thick of It and not a lot else. The movie was more enjoyable than I expected though, except that Simon is absolutely insufferable the whole time and Neil is made to be a bit of a dick. Will is actually tolerable for the first time, so I guess that was the tradeoff.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

Handsome Dead posted:

Every person I know who likes The Mighty Boosh is a knobhead.

Fixed for me... Actually I'd say the people I know who like "The Boosh" are generally mentally unbalanced people who have a large capacity for being knobheads.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

As someone who heartily enjoys all three of those shows I guess I'll see myself out the knobhead door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Brilliant, we're doing this again are we?

The nicest guy I know likes the Boosh, and I'm pretty certain I'm not a knobhead.