Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I'm still laughing at "A PUPPY DID A THING THAT PUPPIES DO BECAUSE THEY ARE DUMB AND GROSS? GET RID OF IT."

Thanks for taking the little guy on and giving him a chance. Too bad your friend probably learned nothing from the experience. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashamee
Jan 12, 2012
You're welcome. I just felt badly for the dog. It's not his fault. I also talked to the friend, and the dog is definitely ours now. He said he'll never be a pet owner again. He doesn't trust himself to care for a living thing. Guess he learned that lesson the hard way.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Ashamee posted:

You're welcome. I just felt badly for the dog. It's not his fault. I also talked to the friend, and the dog is definitely ours now. He said he'll never be a pet owner again. He doesn't trust himself to care for a living thing. Guess he learned that lesson the hard way.

... by purchasing a "wolf". He's a sharp one indeed, and by no means completely irresponsible.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Ashamee posted:

It certainly wouldn't be frowned upon for you to post copious photographic evidence of your new dog...just fyi.....

Ashamee
Jan 12, 2012

This is what happens when he tries to cram himself underneath my desk for a nap. He doesn't know his own size. I can't wait until all of his fluffy hair grows back! :(
I'll take more when he's willing to look at the camera.

Also, he does this thing where he "boops" people and Kiba with his paw. It usually ends up with a giant paw to the face, and Kiba gets pissed when he hits her. He's just playing, really, but ouch. We keep telling him no, and gently setting his paw back on the ground, but is there something else we might be able to try to redirect this?

i see what you did
Feb 19, 2007
funny, because it's true
I just found this post and it's going to be my 'owning a husky support group'.

Warning: Photodump and sob story :(

This is my almost 2 year old Siberian Husky/GSD? mutt. Found this little guy on the side of the road when he was about 4 months old and he was almost starved to death. After hand feeding him for a few days and some intense carpet cleaning I got him housetrained and eating like a normal puppy. He is a ridiculous prick when he wants to be, but he knows exactly when to turn it off. And just look at his crazy eyes... no one can stay mad at them :3:.

So after having him about 9months the dude got out of my yard and got taken by some dick who used him as a bait dog for his fighting dogs. We don't need to get into how I got him back, but I did some stuff and he ended up back in my car and I think that's what matters.

The German Shepherd in him conflicts with his huskyball abilities

I swear he's an active dog

He's so active he want's to eat my phone. Ignore the chunks of flip flops to the right, please

My super aggressive kill gently caress die dog and his 10lb BFF

I bet he won't like the car as much when his balls get 'removed' this week :(

He is awesome in every way except now whenever he sees another dog (leash only) he loses his poo poo and goes it KILLMODE :flame:. Got a trainer coming out next weekend to work with him because I miss being able to take him places...

Only a few months until the next furbomb explodes in my bedroom!

Ashamee
Jan 12, 2012
Wow, he's beautiful! Heterochromia is cool and quite gorgeous. I'm glad he's a good boy, and that you got him back from the jerk who stole him from you. Yikes. Poor guy.

And don't worry about him getting the ol' snip snip. He won't likely remember too much. After the initial surgery, he'll be out of it, but he'll most likely be back to his normal self by the next day. Good luck with the Cone of Shame. :)

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ashamee posted:

I can't wait until all of his fluffy hair grows back! :(

You probably know this but just in case you don't, don't let anyone shave him again. You probably should limit his time in the sun until his coat grows back, too.

Ashamee
Jan 12, 2012
Oh, absolutely. He doesn't go outside all that much except to do his business and run around a bit.

My husband and I decided to try to leave him alone to see if he'd be fine with Kiba's company, since we don't crate her anymore. We came home to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD5ERQiJs-Y

We couldn't help but laugh. The little sneak! That bag was up high, and closed, too! Lesson learned.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Hahaha! Poor sneak!! No wonder he was so thirsty. Hope that bag wasn't too full!

Ashamee
Jan 12, 2012
It was about half-full. And it wasn't the regular sized Beggin' Strips, either. They were the giant ones. This dog is something else.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Ashamee posted:

Oh, absolutely. He doesn't go outside all that much except to do his business and run around a bit.

My husband and I decided to try to leave him alone to see if he'd be fine with Kiba's company, since we don't crate her anymore. We came home to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD5ERQiJs-Y

We couldn't help but laugh. The little sneak! That bag was up high, and closed, too! Lesson learned.

So beautiful! So majestic! That can only be a ~real wolf~

Ashamee
Jan 12, 2012
Right?!?

Silly dog. I am still working with him on crate training, and being alone for short periods, but I suppose these things happen. I'm happy he got into a bag of dog treats over destroying our house and stressing out, so it could have been worse. Oddly enough, he didn't seem stressed with that bag on his head, so I wasn't too worried. I'll just be sure to put the treats up in a cabinet from now on.

The whole ordeal made my afternoon. This is what his previous owner is missing out on. He's also been a pretty good boy since being here. We're working on establishing boundaries, since he's currently testing us by trying to see what he can get into and get away with, but he's quickly learning how things work around here. I still have a lot of work ahead of me, but he's mostly content to practice commands and sleep a lot. I'm really enjoying having him here. :3:

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
You guys. YOU GUYS.

This is at my local shelter. I want to squash him (or her, I don't even know). Look at that EAR. If only I didn't drive a Civic and had room for another crate etc etc...he (or she) could be such awesome friends with Quaffle. I would name him (or her) Bludger. That dog is totally a Bludger.

One of you needs to go adopt this dog so I can visit.

Edit: They just updated the post and it's a girrrrrllll Quaffle needs a girlfriend

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

What do you need to transport both dogs at once for? Separate outings, one on one time, blahblahblah go pick her up please. :3:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

She looks so much like a Mrs. Quaffle. :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Aravenna posted:

Edit: They just updated the post and it's a girrrrrllll Quaffle needs a girlfriend

Quaffle and Bludger are destined. Make it happen!

(Then you just need a miniature version of them, called Snitch :3:)

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

These people have the right idea. Follow what they say! :3:

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Agreed! Clearly you need a matching pair of Quaffledogs in your life. :3:

99% of up to date pictures I have of Hrafn were taken for the Wake Up Your Dog thread.

Bonus non-sleep video.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Aravenna posted:

You guys. YOU GUYS.

This is at my local shelter. I want to squash him (or her, I don't even know). Look at that EAR. If only I didn't drive a Civic and had room for another crate etc etc...he (or she) could be such awesome friends with Quaffle. I would name him (or her) Bludger. That dog is totally a Bludger.

One of you needs to go adopt this dog so I can visit.

Get that dog. Get that dog now.

ETA: Guys, I think my puppy has stopped growing :(

He was just under 12 lbs at 9 weeks, 15.2 lbs at 12 weeks and 21.4 lbs last week (just under 16 weeks old) but he just doesn't seem to be growing in any noticeable way.

He's still all puppy proportioned and his head is GIGANTIC and we're probably being ridiculous since he's not even six months old yet but can't help wondering if all that hoping he wasn't absurdly huge jinxed us with a dwarf dog!

Puny!

TVs Ian fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 28, 2012

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
(Not mine but rather appropriate for July/August)

Warpaint
Aug 14, 2004

Blood. Blood everywhere.
What a perfect excuse to show off my dog. I have this thing.

When I got Maya from the foster home in early 2009, they told me she was a basenji. So for the longest time I thought she was. She had some similar behavioral quirks, but I came to find out she's a Carolina dog.

She's stubborn, aloof, has an insane prey drive, and goes berserk when she sees a cat. She's also mind blowingly smart. Strangely, she is not at all food motivated, and she's a little timid, so training her is difficult. She also sheds constantly, year round. Never really has a major shedding season, just drops it constantly. deFurminator does nothing on her coat. I use one of those circular rakes they use on horses, and then follow up with a rubber brush to sweep off all the loose hair.

When I first got her, she was so traumatized by the change in location and people that she refused to eat or drink, and would run off when I looked at her, much less got up and moved anywhere. After day 2, I started taking her outside and basically bottle fed her water so she wouldn't dehydrate. (she was a year and a half-ish). It took her a long time to be comfortable around me. Then we started going to the park. For a few months, she ran up and down the fence looking for a way out.

She eventually made some dog friends at the park, as well as people friends. She does not like people in front of the house and will growl and bark, but if they come inside with me she is quiet, but wary. It takes her a lot less time to warm up to new people now than it did when I got her, and she is very affectionate with those she likes. She plays a bit rough with smaller dogs, but gets on great with flat coats who will wrestle with her all day.

Also she sleeps in a ball with her snout in her butt. So y'know, there's that.

She's been great with me for a long time. If she's lonely at night when I'm asleep she'll come into my room and squeak at me until I invite her on to the bed. She loves her walks, and play time. She enjoys treats, but I can't get her to respond to training with them. Initially she destroyed a remote, a flip flop, and a pack of cigarettes, but since that time she hasn't been destructive at all.

More info on Carolina Dogs at
Dogbreedinfo

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Dogs!

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
So...thanks to one of my bosses going on week-long medical leave, I am going to be bringing home a 10-ish week old Akita puppy for board-and-train for three weeks.

Any insights into specific things I should focus on? We're definitely going to go heavy on socialization.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

ButWhatIf posted:

Any insights into specific things I should focus on? We're definitely going to go heavy on socialization.

Maybe use some/most of puppy's meals to make a start on training the basics, as well as beginning NILIF for when pup goes back to owner? NILIF is supposed to be a godsend for primitive dogs, so starting early can't hurt!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Yeah, my best advice would be to use ANYTHING as a reward. Prim dogs will get bored with training if it's repetitive or seems like too much work, so any time the pup wants anything at all, use it to your advantage. Also, 10 weeks is pretty early for the rebelliousness to set in, so you're going to get the pup nice and trained just in time to send home and have him walk all over his owners at 6 months or so. :rolleyes: I hope you guys offer (and the owner takes advantage of) follow up training. :ohdear:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

ButWhatIf posted:

So...thanks to one of my bosses going on week-long medical leave, I am going to be bringing home a 10-ish week old Akita puppy for board-and-train for three weeks.

Focus on lots of cuddles and nose kisses. :3:

But basically what everyone else has said. I would definitely start making the pup work for stuff and now would be a good time to start with handling the face and nails for checkups and grooming. :)

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
MILLIONS OF PICTURES

That is all.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Going to have to agree with Foxy on that one. So many pictures.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

ButWhatIf posted:

Thirding millions of pictures.

If there's one thing I have learned from my primitive-pain-in-the-rear end breed dog is to never let them take an inch because they will take 80 bajillion miles and then steal your lunch. Don't let them get away with not doing stuff they know how to do and never let them dictate how things are going to go. You can shovel in all the treats you want to make a positive association, but if you let them stop you or go much slower than you should, you'll never get anywhere.

In other words, in between all the fun tricks, work on handling handling handling.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

YES. What she said.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Generations of inbred wolves have led to this:

DERRRRRRRP

I love how he so perfectly matches the carpet that I can't really tell where he ends and the carpet begins.

Quaffle has finally figured out what a frisbee is for! It is for me to throw, then for him to run with me over to it, where he stares at it until I throw it again. He will do this twice before getting bored. This is progress because until now he usually hasn't even looked at the frisbee when I threw it, but instead stared at me the whole time with his derpy happy look. People have asked me if he's part lab or golden or something because of the ears, but if he is, he didn't get a smidgeon of retrieving instinct. This dog has no drive for anything except snuggling. He's also good at moving straight ahead without stopping, but he'd still make a terrible sled dog because he starts dragging maybe half an hour into a walk. He seems unconcerned when I tell him that if he were a real sled dog he'd be left for the polar bears to eat. :saddowns:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I love Quaffle so much. He's wonderful, and he has the best name.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 16, 2012

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Aravenna posted:

Quaffle has finally figured out what a frisbee is for! It is for me to throw, then for him to run with me over to it, where he stares at it until I throw it again. He will do this twice before getting bored. This is progress because until now he usually hasn't even looked at the frisbee when I threw it, but instead stared at me the whole time with his derpy happy look. People have asked me if he's part lab or golden or something because of the ears, but if he is, he didn't get a smidgeon of retrieving instinct. This dog has no drive for anything except snuggling. He's also good at moving straight ahead without stopping, but he'd still make a terrible sled dog because he starts dragging maybe half an hour into a walk. He seems unconcerned when I tell him that if he were a real sled dog he'd be left for the polar bears to eat. :saddowns:

I've got Gunnar to chase the frisbee but catch it or even attempt to catch it is too much. The only thing he really likes is running after the big ball he can't fit in his big ol mouth.

Astro Cake
May 27, 2010

I love you, strawberry milk.
Does anyone have experience with shiba breeders in Texas? Who would you recommend?

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Astro Cake posted:

Does anyone have experience with shiba breeders in Texas? Who would you recommend?

Yes!

There are unfortunately only two I would recommend and one doesn't really breed anymore. There used to be one other, but her new husband ended up being severely allergic to Shibas and she not only had to stop breeding but get rid of her dogs. :(

But doesn't hurt to contact either of them, really. First one is Carla Ross from Roscka Shibas, she's up here in Dallas, but be warned she can be difficult to get ahold of sometimes (like breeders do...) carlaross11@yahoo.com

The second is Myrrh Haslam with Evenstar Shibas in Houston, and she is the one that I'm not sure if she breeds anymore, or if she does it might be once every two or three years. She's huge in helping out with our rescue, though, and is really nice. myrrhh@att.net

Your best bet would be Carla, and if whoever it is is interested, she will be at our rescue booth on September 23rd at the Japanese festival in the Dallas/Farmers Branch area, probably with one of her pretty dogs again. Also, if Oklahoma City isn't too far, the Shiba National is going to be there the second week of October with breeders and showers etc from all over the country, and I'm sure you can talk at one of them.

What's funny is, I'm talking with breeders myself, but I'm trying to figure out how to get my butt to Pennsylvania to visit one, talking to a breeder in Ohio, and poking at one in Washington State. :) I love Carla, but I like the other breeders' dogs better right now.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

paisleyfox posted:

Yes!

There are unfortunately only two I would recommend and one doesn't really breed anymore. There used to be one other, but her new husband ended up being severely allergic to Shibas and she not only had to stop breeding but get rid of her dogs. :(

But doesn't hurt to contact either of them, really. First one is Carla Ross from Roscka Shibas, she's up here in Dallas, but be warned she can be difficult to get ahold of sometimes (like breeders do...) carlaross11@yahoo.com

The second is Myrrh Haslam with Evenstar Shibas in Houston, and she is the one that I'm not sure if she breeds anymore, or if she does it might be once every two or three years. She's huge in helping out with our rescue, though, and is really nice. myrrhh@att.net

Your best bet would be Carla, and if whoever it is is interested, she will be at our rescue booth on September 23rd at the Japanese festival in the Dallas/Farmers Branch area, probably with one of her pretty dogs again. Also, if Oklahoma City isn't too far, the Shiba National is going to be there the second week of October with breeders and showers etc from all over the country, and I'm sure you can talk at one of them.

What's funny is, I'm talking with breeders myself, but I'm trying to figure out how to get my butt to Pennsylvania to visit one, talking to a breeder in Ohio, and poking at one in Washington State. :) I love Carla, but I like the other breeders' dogs better right now.

Which breeder in Ohio? Is it Pam?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Who is the breeder in PA?

I meant to ask if you knew anything about the Shiba Rescue of NYC.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Haha, breeder in Ohio is Pam from Royal Kennels/TriState Shiba Rescue. The one in PA is Rodel, and the one in WashingtonOregon is Morningstar. :) Rodel right now is my top choice, but I have to visit her (though I have two aunts that live fairly close, one in Harrisburg and the other in Philly) and her pups are really expensive, but from the looks of it pretty drat worth it. There are other breeders I love and would consider, but we're really looking at B&Ts right now. I also love Pat from Hi-Jinx but she is just short of my top three shortlist right now, though I would probably put her in a tie with Pam, but only because I talk with Pam and her volunteers from TriState all the time and not necessarily because her B&Ts are better than the only breeder in the US that specializes in them.

And yes! I love NYCSR. I'm actually fairly good friends with the founder, Jenna Gates, though she no longer lives in NYC. They cover more than just NYC, too, they're all up and down most of the northeast.

paisleyfox fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

paisleyfox posted:

Haha, breeder in Ohio is Pam from Royal Kennels/TriState Shiba Rescue.

You know we live like 20 minutes from her right? Erica took our last foster there for training. If you ever visit her, you can play with Nori :3:

• Locked thread