Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So the first signs of the Jem-pocalypse have appeared:

This is usualy how it starts with little exclusives here and there before getting a fullblown toyline and TV show. They were rumored to be working on a redesign last year for some yet to be assigned promotion.

Honeslty I'm not expecting the new Jem stuff to be geared towards the original demographic, it's probably going to follow certain other shows that the Hub has had success with. That and the SDCC exclusive is super expensive, holy crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Vaerai Archon posted:

This is usualy how it starts with little exclusives here and there before getting a fullblown toyline and TV show. They were rumored to be working on a redesign last year for some yet to be assigned promotion.

Honeslty I'm not expecting the new Jem stuff to be geared towards the original demographic, it's probably going to follow certain other shows that the Hub has had success with. That and the SDCC exclusive is super expensive, holy crap.

I guess the price is truly, truly outrageous. :v:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Seems like The Hub has finally grown tired of showing the same handful of episodes of GI Joe Renegades and Transformers Prime over and over, and have started showing GI Joe Sigma Six and Transformers Animated. I remember not liking either of those shows when they came on, but Jesus Christ they are ugly, ugly shows. I'm glad the era of anime dominating US animation blocks is finally in its death throes, that was a terrible decade or so for television.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

raditts posted:

Seems like The Hub has finally grown tired of showing the same handful of episodes of GI Joe Renegades and Transformers Prime over and over, and have started showing GI Joe Sigma Six and Transformers Animated. I remember not liking either of those shows when they came on, but Jesus Christ they are ugly, ugly shows. I'm glad the era of anime dominating US animation blocks is finally in its death throes, that was a terrible decade or so for television.

Transformers animated wasn't anime inspired at all. The guy who did all the designs was from Michigan, he was also INSANE.

The transformers past present and future all became "his" creations and he had a mental breakdown about the Transformers continuity. He lashed out at fans and other people across the internet in a weekly rampage and any criticism about the show he took personally.

The last two seasons of Transformers animated were incredibly good, infact better than the last two seasons of Beast Wars. They really hit their stride and did some of the best characterization of any other incarnations of the franchise. They had another season planned but CN found out about the Hub and axed TFA from Cartoon network.

But yeah Transformers Animated is nothing like anime, they're heavily stylized yes, but not anime stylized.

This however, this was Transformers anime at it's peak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whsKhNmMLto

Unliked the Transformers animated, the toys transformed exactly the way they were depicted in the show. The animated toys weren't junk though but they did have to mold false kibble and detailing onto the figures so they would match up with their show counterparts(since some of the parts detached or were moved to the back). But Cybertron/Galaxy Force they were all super powered Robot Wars type anime robots.\

Also Renegades wasn't Japanese styled either, it was Malaysian styled. Shows like The Batman and Jackie Chan Adventures used this same style. Tons of Malaysian cartoons have the exact same style.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 14, 2012

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vaerai Archon posted:

Rumored? They straight up included it in their presentation to my company of upcoming shows alongside the Dark Crystal spinoff series and something else I don't remember. Target demo is the exact same as all other Hub stuff, kids 6-12 and their Gen X parents who are watching the TV with them. There is not a more 80s network around.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
MOM! Phineas and Ferb are crossing over with Marvel Comics!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Vaerai Archon posted:

Transformers animated wasn't anime inspired at all. The guy who did all the designs was from Michigan, he was also INSANE.

The transformers past present and future all became "his" creations and he had a mental breakdown about the Transformers continuity. He lashed out at fans and other people across the internet in a weekly rampage and any criticism about the show he took personally.

The last two seasons of Transformers animated were incredibly good, infact better than the last two seasons of Beast Wars. They really hit their stride and did some of the best characterization of any other incarnations of the franchise. They had another season planned but CN found out about the Hub and axed TFA from Cartoon network.

But yeah Transformers Animated is nothing like anime, they're heavily stylized yes, but not anime stylized.

This however, this was Transformers anime at it's peak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whsKhNmMLto

Unliked the Transformers animated, the toys transformed exactly the way they were depicted in the show. The animated toys weren't junk though but they did have to mold false kibble and detailing onto the figures so they would match up with their show counterparts(since some of the parts detached or were moved to the back). But Cybertron/Galaxy Force they were all super powered Robot Wars type anime robots.\

Also Renegades wasn't Japanese styled either, it was Malaysian styled. Shows like The Batman and Jackie Chan Adventures used this same style. Tons of Malaysian cartoons have the exact same style.

I said Sigma Six, not Renegades. Sigma Six was definitely done by a Japanese studio.

As for Transformers Animated, I only made it through to the second episode before I wanted to kill myself, but I don't know how you can look at that pile of trash and see no anime influence there.

This just seems like a bizarre level of brand synergy to me.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 14, 2012

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hmmm... interesting

That article posted:

In “Phineas and Ferb: Mission Marvel,” Spider-Man, Thor, Iron Man and Hulk arrive in town after their powers are accidentally removed by the evil Dr. Doofenshmirtz.

That sounds disturbingly competent for Doof.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

raditts posted:

Dan Vs. is the only thing I really watch on the hub.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh sure for the first couple of years it'll all be fun and games and a great lighthearted comic but then Jeph Loeb will get involved and suddenly you've got a dead Phineas and Spiderman while the rest of the living characters have to team up with Candice's half-cyborg future baby to stop Eduardo's trans-dimensional meep army before Doof can sell his soul to devil to get his marriage back.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

thelaughingman posted:

If I hadn't happened across Dan Vs. randomly one day and laughed my rear end off I probably would've never watched it, because the commercials made it look like the worst show. Speaking of which, I haven't seen commercials for it in a while, did they cancel it to make room for more Hasbro '80s toy cartoon revivals?

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

raditts posted:

As for Transformers Animated, I only made it through to the second episode before I wanted to kill myself, but I don't know how you can look at that pile of trash and see no anime influence there.

Well for one thing, character proportions. You have Sari, while she does have big eyes and the mouth they arn't drawn the way animes eyes or mouths are drawn. It's still definetly a heavily western influenced character other than the possible spikey hair tufts.

The rest of the humans are all very geometric based shapes, they're not normal human proportions at all. Granted some heavily stylized anime characters have that type of body too, but if you're talking traditional anime characters, they have functioning topographical anatomy. Yes anime characters have things that end in sharp edges but just because something has sharp edges doesn't make it anime.

Then you have stuff like teen titans which mixed the two styles together to a somewhat effective means and then you have Avatar which was definetly 100% anime stylized.

I mean compare this:

to something like this

and animated really doesn't look anime at all.

Granted Transformers in the 1980's was originally entirely Japanese before it was brought over to America, but Animated was the most western take as far as cell animation goes, with Beast Wars and Beast Machines and the Bay movies probably being the most. But we're to the point where if western animation wants to look or mimic anime it can do so incredibly effectively without halfassing it.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 14, 2012

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

raditts posted:

If I hadn't happened across Dan Vs. randomly one day and laughed my rear end off I probably would've never watched it, because the commercials made it look like the worst show. Speaking of which, I haven't seen commercials for it in a while, did they cancel it to make room for more Hasbro '80s toy cartoon revivals?

Not as far as I know. They just finished the second season and the first season is coming out on DVD on the 17th.

Vaerai Archon posted:

Well for one thing, character proportions. You have Sari, while she does have big eyes and the mouth they arn't drawn the way animes eyes or mouths are drawn. It's still definetly a heavily western influenced character other than the possible spikey hair tufts.

The rest of the humans are all very geometric based shapes, they're not normal human proportions at all. Granted some heavily stylized anime characters have that type of body too, but if you're talking traditional anime characters, they have functioning topographical anatomy. Yes anime characters have things that end in sharp edges but just because something has sharp edges doesn't make it anime.

Then you have stuff like teen titans which mixed the two styles together to a somewhat effective means and then you have Avatar which was definetly 100% anime stylized.

I mean compare this:

to something like this

and animated really doesn't look anime at all.

Granted Transformers in the 1980's was originally entirely Japanese before it was brought over to America, but Animated was the most western take as far as cell animation goes, with Beast Wars and Beast Machines and the Bay movies probably being the most. But we're to the point where if western animation wants to look or mimic anime it can do so incredibly effectively without halfassing it.

(Derrick J. Wyatt) is working on the Ben 10 Omniverse. he was responsible for the character designs on Teen Titans and TFA.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 14, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

thelaughingman posted:

(Derrick J. Wyatt) is working on the Ben 10 Omniverse. he was responsible for the character designs on Teen Titans and TFA.

Oh hey, another Ben 10 series, like THAT hasn't outstayed it's welcome and it's using the TF:A animation style. That's just fantastic. If I what I want to be reminded of one thing, is how I'm not getting a season four of that show.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

thelaughingman posted:

Yes I know, but the point I was making was that Teen Titans was definetly far more anime influenced than Transformers Animated. Since they use the same artist you can easily compare and contrast the two.

That was mostly my basis for saying that Transformers Animated really isn't anime styled mostly because of the previous work he did where it definetly was intended to be anime influenced or styled.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 14, 2012

Xerox Kopy
Oct 22, 2008

thelaughingman posted:

Oh, Dan Vs. is good? I've never really given it a shot 'cause the commercials didn't really sell it. The only thing I watch on The Hub is old Batman reruns and The Aquabats! Super Show.

Speaking of which, everybody should watch The Aquabats! Super Show. Like right now. Go watch it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I think you mean The Aquabats! Super Show! Two exclamation points.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That's one of the ugliest art styles I've ever seen.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Saying Animated season 2,3 were better than BW season 2,3 is just plain wrong. It had some good ideas but they're all offscreen.

I am not counting shoving as many references to the past as possible into the show, putting in every idea that comes to mind, as "good writing". There were a lot of unfunny jokes, things that happened because the plot needed them to, and unlikable characters who had no empathy for anyone like Bulkhead.

Explaining any of that would be pointless because this isn't the Transformers thread. But here's an example: Decepticons were supposed to be a bigger threat, Autobots were not built for war, so they needed human villains for the episodes without them. Alright, not bad.

this bunch of useless fucks were the human villains they used

It was better than the 3-4 years of anime, but I could not recommend it to anyone who doesn't really like Transformers and playing spot the reference. (And even then, they have to not be that in love with Beast Wars - Animated Rattrap sells information to cons, and Blackarachnia is a self-pitying mess who aggressively uses her sexuality to get what she wants).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

If you told me that picture was from an episode of The Powerpuff Girls that I'd never seen, I wouldn't doubt you one bit.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

raditts posted:

If you told me that picture was from an episode of The Powerpuff Girls that I'd never seen, I wouldn't doubt you one bit.

The little girl in pink is literally a palette-swap of a Powerpuff Girls villain, right down to having the same voice actress.

I've never been a big Transformers fan but probably the only thing I liked a Transformers Animated was Weird Al as Wreck-Gar.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Okay there was just a short before Young Justice that was like Samurai Champloo style animation but it looked kinda cel shaded. It was an action scene of a tailed thief stealing something and then fighting a guy. I know this is vague as hell but I was so surprised by how awesome the animation looked and it just went by so fast. I'm hoping someone else saw it and knows what I'm talking about. Does anyone know what the hell that was? Is it a new show CN is coming out with or just a short to make me hate them?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Oh hey, another Ben 10 series, like THAT hasn't outstayed it's welcome and it's using the TF:A animation style. That's just fantastic. If I what I want to be reminded of one thing, is how I'm not getting a season four of that show.

To be fair, from the video, it looks like it's more in line with the original Ben 10 series which was pretty good. Focusing on Ben as a super hero rather than like, Kevin-Gwen-Ben drama~~

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Sockser posted:

To be fair, from the video, it looks like it's more in line with the original Ben 10 series which was pretty good. Focusing on Ben as a super hero rather than like, Kevin-Gwen-Ben drama~~

That doesn't solve the root problem. That it's more Ben 10.

There's cheating the Three Season rule and then there's just being obnoxious.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 15, 2012

Robotnik DDS
Oct 31, 2004

Every time a show I like on Cartoon Network is cancelled I blame Ben 10 for still existing even though it's probably not true.

ChaosReaper posted:

Okay there was just a short before Young Justice that was like Samurai Champloo style animation but it looked kinda cel shaded.

It is something called Bat Man of Shanghai. That was a Catwoman one and there will be ones featuring Batman and Bane over the next couple of weeks. All the DC nation shorts could be potential shows but chances are they will not be.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Robotnik DDS posted:

Every time a show I like on Cartoon Network is cancelled I blame Ben 10 for still existing even though it's probably not true

I dunno, it's not as if Turner is giving you much room to argue otherwise. Ben 10 is thier Spongebob and at this point I don't know what one is worse.

Robotnik DDS
Oct 31, 2004

I think there are different individual reasons though. I mean Robotomy had animation that was too expensive for the ratings it got. Sym-Bionic Titan was similarly expensive and launched without a toy line to support it. Problem Solverz was too niche/terrifying/great. And I honestly don't think if Ben 10 had gone off the air after a normal run, the marketing resources or ratings would just happen to go to the shows that I like as opposed to Generator Rex or whatever else.

Also I would happily let a mediocre show like Ben 10 stay on in perpetuity if I could erase Johnny Test from existence.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Problem Solverz was awful. I have no idea why people keep saying it's secretly good.

Robotnik DDS
Oct 31, 2004

I don't think it's secretly good I just think it is good.

But I mean like the great majority of shows that started out on adult swim it is basically love it or hate it with no middle ground. It also seems like a terrible idea to try to make money based on the idea that it is a thing that kids want to watch in the afternoon.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Robotnik DDS posted:

I don't think it's secretly good I just think it is good.

But I mean like the great majority of shows that started out on adult swim it is basically love it or hate it with no middle ground. It also seems like a terrible idea to try to make money based on the idea that it is a thing that kids want to watch in the afternoon.
Wow, I didn't realize there were other people that genuinely liked that show. I loved the show and most of Paper Rad's other output, but I do get why most everyone else hated it. I think it's mostly a Tim and Eric type thing where either you enjoy intentionally "bad" humor or you don't. Honestly, I'm really impressed that CN actually greenlighted and aired the show in the first place.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Neo Helbeast posted:

Problem Solverz was awful. I have no idea why people keep saying it's secretly good.

Because if they said it was actually good, they'd (rightfuly) get slapped upside the head.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 15, 2012

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
Bunch of videos for TMNT out from SDCC:

Opening Title

Actual clip from the show

'Meet Kraang' Sizzle reel

Comic-Con panel

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Xerox Kopy posted:

Oh, Dan Vs. is good? I've never really given it a shot 'cause the commercials didn't really sell it. The only thing I watch on The Hub is old Batman reruns and The Aquabats! Super Show.

Speaking of which, everybody should watch The Aquabats! Super Show. Like right now. Go watch it.
I never understood why Dan Vs is on the Hub, that show is about a 20 year old Misanthrope and his war against anything that irrates him. Plus his friend is Yes Man from Fallout New Vegas. God that show is awesome.
E:

Barudak posted:

Oh sure for the first couple of years it'll all be fun and games and a great lighthearted comic but then Jeph Loeb will get involved and suddenly you've got a dead Phineas and Spiderman while the rest of the living characters have to team up with Candice's half-cyborg future baby to stop Eduardo's trans-dimensional meep army before Doof can sell his soul to devil to get his marriage back.
I truly believe that Jeph wants to make humanity miserable.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
E: Double post

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Recycle Bin posted:

Bunch of videos for TMNT out from SDCC:
The show itself doesn't look like it's my cup of tea, but Splinter looks pretty cool.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I heeeeear Rob Paulson yaaaaaaay....

I'm not especially fond of the Turtles' designs--don't like their bulky limbs, for instance--but, the choreography, writing, and voice work seems solid so far. Things are looking up, overall.

And, Splinter's design is awesome, even though he doesn't have Mako's voice.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
It is weird to hear Raphael's voice coming out of Donatello

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist

Tartarus Sauce posted:

I'm not especially fond of the Turtles' designs--don't like their bulky limbs, for instance--but, the choreography, writing, and voice work seems solid so far. Things are looking up, overall.

They're so fun to draw, though, which is nice when you're drawing them 10 hours a day. Love 'em or hate 'em, this is the first iteration to give them distinct body shapes. The original series and the 2k3 turtles all had the exact same silhouettes. In this one, Donny is tall and lanky, Raph is bulky, Mikey is short and chubby and Leo (of course) is average. When boarding, we almost never have to explicitly call out which turtle is which :)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I thought the animation was really good, which is more than I can say for some other entirely 3D shows (*cough* Green Lantern *cough). I don't like the gap in Donatello's teeth (or is it a missing tooth? Can't tell.)

Seems like it'll be a fun show though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Tartarus Sauce posted:

I heeeeear Rob Paulson yaaaaaaay....

And, Splinter's design is awesome, even though he doesn't have Mako's voice.

The costs of having him phone in a voice-acting job from the other side were just too expensive, I'm afraid.

Didn't they have Kevin "Elmo" Clash do his voice in the original movie, or was that just the puppeteering?