Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

mrkillboy posted:

You can get different types of bonuses with different weapons. For example if you shoot someone through a wall with the sniper rifle you get a power shot bonus which you don't get with the default pistol. Also shooting things like red ninjas and planes in the background gets you big points too.

I wasn't sure if you could hit those planes or not. I've tried, but never succeeded. I'll try harder. Now that I know that you need better weapons, I won't worry so much about my score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp

Tamba posted:

Does anyone still remember how NISA announced a Disgaea-game for Android last year?
Speaking of Disgaea are there any good FFT/Disgaea style games available?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I wasn't sure if you could hit those planes or not. I've tried, but never succeeded. I'll try harder.
There's an achievement for shooting down a plane so I figured I give it a shot. I'm not exactly sure how many shots you need to take them down though, I one-shotted one with the sniper rifle but the assault rifle took a few more bullets.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

spincube posted:

Jump onto an eagle, and ride that bird into the skies. By the time your boost runs out and it drops you, you'll have time for at least seven backflips (as long as you land the jump, of course).

gently caress, I thought I'd done alright. Top score: 248366. :(

Aargh! I pulled off 12 back flips from an eagle only to smack right into a flat bit of snow!

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

Tunga posted:

I have one star left to do: quadruple backflip. I don't even know how ten would be possible, if I somehow get the height to do four I just lose all forward speed and land vertically and crash. Any tips?

Edit: 640k is my best.

If that's your last star then I think you might be past the easiest way to get it. I'm still only on eagle start with 10x and the easy way of getting it was to just use the eagle at the start to fly up at about a 15 degree angle (not so high the bird stalls and low enough to get some horizontal distance from the mountain face) then as soon as he drops you just keep flipping and when you're getting close to the mountain face you can sort of use your skis as wings to give yourself some horizontal momentum so you don't just crash. Combined with some luck with how the mountain slopes you can manage 4 or more and land it. If you fail it just restart to get the guaranteed eagle again. Since you can't do this anymore if you ever get an eagle later on you can do it very easily as I did to get 10 backflips.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

ArcticZombie posted:

If that's your last star then I think you might be past the easiest way to get it. I'm still only on eagle start with 10x and the easy way of getting it was to just use the eagle at the start to fly up at about a 15 degree angle (not so high the bird stalls and low enough to get some horizontal distance from the mountain face) then as soon as he drops you just keep flipping and when you're getting close to the mountain face you can sort of use your skis as wings to give yourself some horizontal momentum so you don't just crash. Combined with some luck with how the mountain slopes you can manage 4 or more and land it. If you fail it just restart to get the guaranteed eagle again. Since you can't do this anymore if you ever get an eagle later on you can do it very easily as I did to get 10 backflips.

I've found that when I fall from an eagle I tend to come down vertically

edit: nvm, I figured it out

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 14, 2012

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Got a cool 658k for ski safari, but I feel like you can probably get a lot more if you just maintain that 10x score and do less backflips while staying on your snow scooter for as long as possible

E; welp, just unlocked x12 score.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 14, 2012

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

oneof3steves posted:

Great little war game... Kinda. It's more like advance wars, but it's good. You should own it anyway.

Unless you're looking for an animu fix, then look elsewhere.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I unlocked the 12x multiplier but don't seem to be scoring that much higher? I noticed that a flip on a yeti is 800 points, whether I have the 12x multiplier or not.

Also, just landed 10 back flips :smug:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

678k in Ski Safari :smug:

The backflip star wasn't that hard once I figured out how to glide. The trick (once the eagle disappears) is to backflip until you see the dark blue background layer. Then stop and start gliding. I'm not sure if it's possible with the starting eagle though, you need a slope to land and in the beginning the terrain is mostly flat.

The hardest star yet for me was the sign grind as that's mostly luck depending on the terrain.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

ArcticZombie posted:

You can choose your starting animal though. Just click the sign, and you can eagle up all you want.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
^^ :aaaaa:

gmq posted:

The backflip star wasn't that hard once I figured out how to glide. The trick (once the eagle disappears) is to backflip until you see the dark blue background layer. Then stop and start gliding. I'm not sure if it's possible with the starting eagle though, you need a slope to land and in the beginning the terrain is mostly flat.

This is a much better way of saying what I was trying to say, but it is possible with the starting eagle. I've landed as many as 5 backflips off the starting eagle with a bit of luck of the slopes.

nexus6 posted:

I unlocked the 12x multiplier but don't seem to be scoring that much higher? I noticed that a flip on a yeti is 800 points, whether I have the 12x multiplier or not.

Look at how quickly your points are rising just from gaining distance.

e: Okay I'm done with this game for now.

ArcticZombie fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 15, 2012

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

ArcticZombie posted:

Look at how quickly your points are rising just from gaining distance.

Ah, I get it. I need to stop playing, I'm getting mad at several unlucky runs where rocks always happen to be right in my way :(

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

oneof3steves posted:

Spectral Souls is about it. It's $15 though, it's really solid however. Only major flaw is the inability to save during a battle, but the battles aren't that long usually so it's not a huge deal if you have to redo one, but it would have been nice if they'd realized Save Anytime is kind of an important mobile feature.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Any idea why Major Mayhem has over 6 hours (the entire time since I've unplugged my phone) of orientation sensor use today when I haven't even opened it? According to GSam Battery Monitor, it's accounted for 11% of my total battery consumed by an app so far. I force stopped it, but it's continuing to do this.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Tamba posted:

Does anyone still remember how NISA announced a Disgaea-game for Android last year?

Well...they just canceled it:
http://videogamewriters.com/nisa-cancels-free-to-play-disgaea-for-android-50536

So, uh, what's this game I have on my phone then?

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Can you explain? I'd love to have that on my phone...

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

Can you explain? I'd love to have that on my phone...
I got it from Game Hub which I think is a Samsung thing (it's powered by Mobage so it could be something to do with them too I suppose). It seems to be the full thing, here are some more screenshots, I've not got past the tutorial yet but online saving and stuff works and all the servers up so I have no idea what's going on tbh...

e: I'm sure I can extract the .apk with Titanium Backup and upload it somewhere if that would be kosher with the mods? It is free-to-play so I can't see the harm myself...

Loonytoad Quack fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 15, 2012

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

It also seems to be up on Android Market ( Or Play,) but only for korea or something like that.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...1RpY2tldDc0NSJd

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Loonytoad Quack posted:

So, uh, what's this game I have on my phone then?

Its been out in Japan and such. I guess they cancelled their US plans?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Loonytoad Quack posted:

e: I'm sure I can extract the .apk with Titanium Backup and upload it somewhere if that would be kosher with the mods? It is free-to-play so I can't see the harm myself...

Please upload it somewhere. I'm too lazy to setup my PS2 again just to play it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

They also announced the cancellation on their site(after the Mugen Souls announcement), so it's not like the news post I linked just made stuff up :confused:

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

Tamba posted:

They also announced the cancellation on their site(after the Mugen Souls announcement), so it's not like the news post I linked just made stuff up :confused:

It's just that the article implied it had never been released and never would, which was a bit confusing as I'd installed it on my phone a couple of days ago. I sent a link to the .apk to SubNat to test on a HTC One X and he said it wouldn't work as it said it was incompatible with his device, so it looks to maybe be Samsung only outside of Asia?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Cthulhu Saves the World, a wonderful little indie JRPG homage/parody that's been on XBLIG and Steam for quite a while is out on Android.

Unfortunately it seems from the reviews that the port was done by some lovely iPhone port house and is nigh-unplayable on Android. Damnit, that's exactly the kind of game I want on my phone.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Those reviews are terrible or phone specific problems (or I have the only phone it works on). I posted about a week ago noting the game was solid and cool and while I'm only a couple more chapters ahead I still have no problems with it. Port wise its fantastic, initial load is slow on a MT4G but past that it runs smoothly and no load lag or anything.

The control scheme takes a little getting used to but it's no worse than a virtual D-pad (or better). Well worth picking up for the price especially.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 15, 2012

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

DemonMage posted:

Those reviews are terrible or phone specific problems (or I have the only phone it works on). I posted about a week ago noting the game was solid and cool and while I'm only a couple more chapters ahead I still have no problems with it. Port wise its fantastic, initial load is slow on a MT4G but past that it runs smoothly and no load lag or anything.

The control scheme takes a little getting used to but it's no worse than a virtual D-pad (or better). Well worth picking up for the price especially.

Alright, I might give it a shot then. Worst case I give $2 to a cool indie dev I guess.

FF3 looks kinda neat but uh, $16.

Also, as a note: Spacechem will run on a GNex, at least the demo will. That's not to say it's exactly easy to play, as everything is super tiny. But it will run, at least.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
I caved in and purchased Final Fantasy III last week. I never play any games on Android, but I needed something new to play and to pass the time. Needless to say, I can't put it down. Here's to hoping that Squenix will release more Final Fantasy titles!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

gmq posted:

The hardest star yet for me was the sign grind as that's mostly luck depending on the terrain.

If you tap the screen lightly and quickly when you have penguin or no animals, you will smooth out your vertical descent a bit and will make it so you can land on flat ground. Plus you get the reentry bonus, and I think there is another one after that as well. Penguins can extend your flight time a significant amount, especially if you are going over a very steep bit.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

I caved in and purchased Final Fantasy III last week. I never play any games on Android, but I needed something new to play and to pass the time. Needless to say, I can't put it down. Here's to hoping that Squenix will release more Final Fantasy titles!

Yeah it's a good old school game, it's just a port of the DS version which is largely "just" a graphics upgrade, but it's a decently fun game. Getting FFT or Disgaea or FF5/6/7 (all platform release of remakes please!) would be real nice though.

It's a little expensive but not out of line for what you get. I paid more than that for the DS version. It's an old game/remake but it's high quality and very long for a phone game, due to being a port. Worth it if you like older Final Fantasy games and don't have it on the DS already.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Is there anything like civilization for android? I miss playing that on my old iPhone 3.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's your favorite tower defense game? I just 3-starred all the levels of Radiant Defense and I need more stuff to do on my commute.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

rock2much posted:

What's your favorite tower defense game? I just 3-starred all the levels of Radiant Defense and I need more stuff to do on my commute.

Sentinel 3.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Frogmanv2 posted:

Plus you get the reentry bonus, and I think there is another one after that as well.

Re-entry -> Flame On! -> Meteor

I only have the ski mobile flips star to get. Perhaps I've been playing this too much but I thought it ran out of stars pretty quick: I only installed this on Friday. Major Mayhem, however, still has tons of stars to get, weapons and armor to buy, levels to play and medals unlock.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I've got some backflips on the 'mobile and Taxi Every Animal At Once left. You can bet your rear end I did that last one on every run before I actually had to get it.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Just got a Galaxy III the other day, marks my first real go at Android games outside of Fruit Ninja and Angry Bird. The Karosoft games are incredible, I'm close to making Game Dev Story my first purchase. They're responsive enough to make me feel I've accomplished something when I do well, but they're also casual enough that I can just have a quick go of the demo when I'm sitting around the house.
Tiny Tower is great fun, it's been taking up the most of my time on the phone lately.
Star Command looks excellent, shame they're still coy on its release date.
I'm pleasantly surprised by the choice on Google Play, it's the first time I've even considered playing for mobile games.

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?

fondue posted:

Is there anything like civilization for android? I miss playing that on my old iPhone 3.

Holy poo poo, I realized I wanted this too and Google found this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.org.zielinscy.freeciv

It's an android port of FreeCiv, an open source version for PC. Sounds like this is still in beta, but looks like the developer is constantly making improvements. I'm going to check it out for sure.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh my god when is Kairosoft going to update their games I want to spin Sushi so bad but I'm downgrading my phone from JB every time to play is kind of a huge hassle.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
So, I haven't played a Kairosoft game for awhile. Last couple I played were Game Dev Story and Mega Mall story. I just bought a Nexus 7, and have around $21 of my play store credit left. If I'm only picking up one of the games right now, should I go with Sushi Spinnery, Pocket Clothier, or Cafeteria Nipponica? I've seen good things in this thread about all 3, but only want to run through one at a time. I'll probably end up running through all three sometime soon, but not sure which to go with first.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

MrMoose posted:

So, I haven't played a Kairosoft game for awhile. Last couple I played were Game Dev Story and Mega Mall story. I just bought a Nexus 7, and have around $21 of my play store credit left. If I'm only picking up one of the games right now, should I go with Sushi Spinnery, Pocket Clothier, or Cafeteria Nipponica? I've seen good things in this thread about all 3, but only want to run through one at a time. I'll probably end up running through all three sometime soon, but not sure which to go with first.

Just to let you know Kairosoft games, as Eej above you notes, have an issue where the text is displaced over to the left. Try a lite version of a game to make sure.

I also want to play new Kairosoft stuff on my nexus :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

For the Whale Trail fans, the new, freemium-based version is on the Play Store as Whale Trail Frenzy. As a smart move, they kept this new version separate from the old paid version, so that people who paid money before can still play the old version without all the freemium hooks in it, yet can still explore the new content in Frenzy.

• Locked thread