Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Policenaut posted:

That was part cost cutting and part "Americans are really stupid sooooo" assumption on Sega of America's part. At the time, they genuinely believed an American audience wouldn't understand or care about the removal of mahjong, shogi, or hostess clubs. When everyone threw a fit about it, it was too late to put it back so when it came time to localize Yakuza 4 they kept them due to fan demand.

Answer x Answer is cut from every localized version of Yakuza, but that's something Sega is very upfront about. It's an insanely detailed Japanese cultural trivia game with a ridiculous amount of unique assets that, according to SoA, would take months to localize. On top of that, it's not a very popular mini-game, like even the Japanese don't seem to like it very much.

I don't think it had anything to do with thinking "Americans are stupid", but they really didn't know their western audience very well. I mean, the average beat-em-up player probably wouldn't care about that stuff, but the handful of people who go out of their way to play Yakuza games in the west are usually really into those very non-mainstream aspects.

Also, I actually wish they would cut the hostesses out or at least pare them down because I find it to be the most mind-numbingly tedious part of the game. At least in 4 they kept it as a totally separate completion list from the sidequests (finally!) but then they added the even more tedious hostess-maker stuff, which was a prerequisite for completing the hostesses on top of having its own completion reward. I guess it's ultimately that aspect that I really don't like: where one type of completion depends on another. All the games are guilty of this (e.g. have to train all the fighters to complete the coliseum, have to beat that one coliseum fighter to unlock a sidequest, have to finish that sidequest to unlock the last food item on the menu, etc.) It'd be nice if they just kept those things totally separate from one another so you can pursue the ones you want and ignore the ones you don't care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

Thankfully, localization for Yakuza is probably much cheaper than other games simply because no English dubbing is added.
Maybe, but they're also really, really full of text.

Egomaniac posted:

Also, I actually wish they would cut the hostesses out or at least pare them down because I find it to be the most mind-numbingly tedious part of the game. At least in 4 they kept it as a totally separate completion list from the sidequests (finally!) but then they added the even more tedious hostess-maker stuff, which was a prerequisite for completing the hostesses on top of having its own completion reward. I guess it's ultimately that aspect that I really don't like: where one type of completion depends on another. All the games are guilty of this (e.g. have to train all the fighters to complete the coliseum, have to beat that one coliseum fighter to unlock a sidequest, have to finish that sidequest to unlock the last food item on the menu, etc.) It'd be nice if they just kept those things totally separate from one another so you can pursue the ones you want and ignore the ones you don't care about.
You don't have to 100% the game and honestly it doesn't sound like a lot of fun to try.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Egomaniac posted:

I don't think it had anything to do with thinking "Americans are stupid", but they really didn't know their western audience very well. I mean, the average beat-em-up player probably wouldn't care about that stuff, but the handful of people who go out of their way to play Yakuza games in the west are usually really into those very non-mainstream aspects.

Well, I'm really just being hyperbolic about it but you put it in a far more elegant fashion. You seem to be really good at that, actually. Makes me kind of embarrassed.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

You don't have to 100% the game and honestly it doesn't sound like a lot of fun to try.

It's not. Getting 100% on a Yakuza game is absolutely mindnumbing in how awful it is. I've only ever done it once, for Yakuza 3, and that was more than I could stomach. The only upside to it was that I did it so fast that I was apparently the first person in the world to 100% the US version. I'd be more proud if I wasn't getting PTSD flashbacks to Very Hard Batting and the -5 Par Golf mini-game master requirement. Holy poo poo, gently caress Mini-Game Master and 100%.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 8, 2012

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Maybe, but they're also really, really full of text.

I don't want to 100% it, but I want to do all the sidequests and fight Amon. My complaint was really that unlocking him usually makes you do all the other completion stuff like hostesses anyway. At least in part.

Policenaut posted:

Well, I'm really just being hyperbolic about it but you put it in a far more elegant fashion. You seem to be really good at that, actually. Makes me kind of embarrassed.

It's not. Getting 100% on a Yakuza game is absolutely mindnumbing in how awful it is. I've only ever done it once, for Yakuza 3, and that was more than I could stomach. The only upside to it was that I did it so fast that I was apparently the first person in the world to 100% the US version. I'd be more proud if I wasn't getting PTSD flashbacks to Very Hard Batting and the -5 Par Golf mini-game master requirement. Holy poo poo, gently caress Mini-Game Master and 100%.

Wow, you 100%-ed the minigames? That is the one completion list I've never even come close to in any of the games. The requirements are just too strict.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I did it for Yakuza 4 and I had mostly fun times. Exception: gay massage game.

I hated gay massage game.

e: should probably clarify gay massage game wasn't literally gay, just ~homoerotic~ in a very typically Yakuza way.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 8, 2012

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Malice Mizer? Man, that name brings back memories. What a horrible night to have a curse.

Has there been any information on Akiyama's part in the story yet?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Neo Rasa posted:

Malice Mizer? Man, that name brings back memories.

10 years ago, I had friends who tried to convince me that was a good Japanese band.

I simply burned them Acid Mothers Temple/Fushitsusha/Boredoms albums and laughed.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I always liked the Polysics. But yeah I keep waiting for Sony to finally implement PSN user name switching and they never do...

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
SO I can play baseball, drive a car around, be a pretty princess pop star, and murder animals in the snow...in ADDITION to the free-roaming skull-smashing criminal hijinks?

So, I'm dead. Right? I'm dead and am now in heaven and this is proof of a good and loving God and my god, he's just like little crinkly Asian man who'll teach me kung fu on a mountaintop and the true spirit of martial arts doesn't lie in the fist it's in the heart

it's

it's in the heart guys.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I think I've finally nailed why the Yakuza games are so endearing to me. Beyond the MANLY MEN doing MANLY THINGS, or the stylized and sterilized yet oddly accurate depiction of Kabukicho, or my growing fondness for the characters, these games feel like the Sega games of old. There's no long-winded reason for a gameplay element; it's simply well designed and fun to play. No surprise considering the pedigree of the dev team, but it's good to see games like this still get made.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RentCavalier posted:

SO I can play baseball, drive a car around, be a pretty princess pop star, and murder animals in the snow...in ADDITION to the free-roaming skull-smashing criminal hijinks?

So, I'm dead. Right? I'm dead and am now in heaven and this is proof of a good and loving God

I am getting a nagging "this is way too good to all be true" feeling or something. I mean holy poo poo.

On that note, I decided to replay Yakuza 4 recently and yep, it's still like pulling teeth to get me to leave Akiyama's chapter.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

I am getting a nagging "this is way too good to all be true" feeling or something. I mean holy poo poo.

On that note, I decided to replay Yakuza 4 recently and yep, it's still like pulling teeth to get me to leave Akiyama's chapter.

I'm due for a replay myself, but yeah, I remember when I was first playing through, I was really upset over leaving Akiyama behind. Luckily I found something to like about everyone. Saejima reminded me of a Japanese Tim Riggins(*). Might have been the hair, but I think it was his generally grounded attitude (though he certainly wasn't as much of a miscreant as Rigg was). I also had a lot of fun fighting as Tanimura, and REALLY liked his side-stories with the female detective and tracking down his father's killer. And Kiryu was, well, Kiryu.

(*And with that, I've proven that there is NOTHING I won't tie Friday Night Lights into.)

That's something that really impressed me about Yakuza 4 and Dead Souls (never played the others), though maybe you feel differently: everyone I got to play was just awesome in their own special way, and at least with 4, the plot was kind of awesome for a twisty piece of Japanese melodrama.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

Saejima reminded me of a Japanese Tim Riggins(*). Might have been the hair, but I think it was his generally grounded attitude (though he certainly wasn't as much of a miscreant as Rigg was). I also had a lot of fun fighting as Tanimura, and REALLY liked his side-stories with the female detective and tracking down his father's killer. And Kiryu was, well, Kiryu.

I really like Saejima's character/story but felt like his chapter is just so annoying to actually play through, from the whole Prison Sequence to the kind of dumb underground tunnel I don't know what the gently caress this isn't on my map! system. I rushed through it last time.

Tanimura is definitely awesome though, probably my second favorite (playable) character in the game. I actually felt like Kiryu's section was a bit of a let down after the crazy mix-ups the first 3 throw at you.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

I really like Saejima's character/story but felt like his chapter is just so annoying to actually play through, from the whole Prison Sequence to the kind of dumb underground tunnel I don't know what the gently caress this isn't on my map! system. I rushed through it last time.

Ah, now I'm starting to remember having to dodge the cops as Saejima; it's not like the heat was everywhere, but the few times I had to tread carefully it was definitely a pain in the rear end. I think I actually would have preferred a cheap-sounding write around to what we got.

But yeah, that aside, this had to have been a gamble considering how apparently beloved Kiryu was as a main character, and they managed to pull out three characters that were just as entertaining and watchable as him, if not moreso (in Akiyama's case, absolutely moreso). So instead of a legion of fans complaining about some kind of Jar Jar Binks effect, the result is this epic story that builds to a major crescendo, leaving me shaking during the four(!) final fights as I realize that I'm being bombarded with enough testosterone and BURNING SPIRIT to power a small city block for a week.

"Brilliant" seems like the wrong word here, but it was absolutely entertaining as hell for those who can stomach "anime" storytelling. Dead Souls not so much, owing mostly to the crappy shooting mechanics that make everything a chore to get through, but at least I got to rampage around the city with a shotgun as Majima. But now that we're getting back to the beat-em-up basics with 5...

Not gonna lie; I'm a little disappointed that I won't be able to wail on some disrespectful punks as Haruka. She's been the damsel in distress for, what, every game now? Girl's earned a little empowerment. Other than that, everything looks disturbingly on point.

Hexempaler
Sep 13, 2010

I know what you're thinking.
Did he fire sixty-six shots or only sixty-five?
Question is, do I feel lucky?
Well, do ya, punk?
I've been consistently amazed by the scope of Yakuza games, what with the dozens of minigames and side missions they make available. But Yakuza 5 has me on the floor with how much content they're fitting in there.

Saejima's Storyline posted:

Searching for the monster is just one Taiga’s goals. To stay alive, Taiga has to hunt wild animals using a rifle and survive extreme the mountain’s harsh conditions. Weather changes in real time, which affects visibility and suddenly makes blizzards appear. In addition to his gun, Taiga has animal traps to help him out too.

It's like they're combining five completely different games into one gloriously manly package.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hexempaler posted:

It's like they're combining five completely different games into one gloriously manly package.

And one chapter where you get to play a pretty princess!

Which I am unironically psyched about!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

precision posted:

And one chapter where you get to play a pretty princess!

Which I am unironically psyched about!

I wasted more time in Pretty Princess Dressup in 4 than I care to admit, so I'm pretty psyched that they've expanded it into a essential and relatively large part of the game, but with added singing and dancing.

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!
I hate the pretty princess simulator. It means my WIFE keeps stealing my videogame, stopping me from being a bad rear end punchman.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I like it because it means I can play at least a few minutes of Yakuza that won't traumatize my toddler (or encourage her to use HEAT actions on me).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Guess what 2 games are getting an HD collection?

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
Oh God! I hope that comes out in the US!! I'd love to have the whole series on my PS3.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Yesss. Please localize these, Sega!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Oh sweet Jesus yes. I forever regret not being able to replay Yakuza 2 whenever I feel like it. This better come out, dammit. They don't even have to worry about needing to translate it, they've already got it taken care of.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
As a heathen who started with Yakuza 3, I'm in full support of this and would give Sega my money on day 1.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I believe I forgot to post these earlier but here are the expanded and explained unique gameplay features for both Saejima and Haruka

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Holy fuckmuffins yes. The only two games I haven't played! Don't be dumb about this Sega of America, this franchise is the only reason anyone likes you guys at all.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

isk posted:

I think I've finally nailed why the Yakuza games are so endearing to me ...these games feel like the Sega games of old.

This series fills a void in my heart that I haven't been able to fill very well since like, 2004. That fifth gen/early sixth gen era where videogames were doing a lot of experimentation because of the new hardware and just threw any wierd idea at the wall and saw what sticks. You'd end up with a bunch of games nobody will ever really talk about (cult classics I guess is the term?) and that are kind of bad in some aspects, but the games have enough unique ideas or charming little details that you let it slide.

There is just so much STUFF in these games that even if some of it is something I will never really do more then once or twice like darts or something, I appreciate that it's in the game. I'm not saying all games need to be quirky dreamcast games or anything, and honestly if that's all that existed I'd probably get tired of it, but it's nice that games like this still exist and are taking advantage of more storage space to put more STUFF in their games.

I'll get off my soapbox now, thank you.

quote:

I believe I forgot to post these earlier but here are the expanded and explained unique gameplay features for both Saejima and Haruka
So the point of these "Another Drama" things is that they're basically games within games like the Hostess/Fighter training, right? What exactly is Haruka going to be actually doing, then, if all the pretty princess song and dance stuff is part of that? I'm probably reading too much into this, but hey.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

darealkooky posted:

So the point of these "Another Drama" things is that they're basically games within games like the Hostess/Fighter training, right? What exactly is Haruka going to be actually doing, then, if all the pretty princess song and dance stuff is part of that? I'm probably reading too much into this, but hey.
I'm guessing more or less the same as normal Yakuza but without combat, walking around town and talking to people, and occasionally getting into dance-offs.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

From the looks of it, Haruka's section is literally Idolmaster 2 with Yakuza elements. You go out and practice, perform, do PR events, and then wander around the city on your free time and do some stuff.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Policenaut posted:

From the looks of it, Haruka's section is literally Idolmaster 2 with Yakuza elements. You go out and practice, perform, do PR events, and then wander around the city on your free time and do some stuff.

Maybe if we're really lucky, you'll whup rear end as Haruka in a manner that makes this Outkast song seem like a nursery rhyme by comparison, then be forced to cover up and put on a convincing "peace rainbows and puppies!" act for the far-too-curious press.

But only if we're REALLY lucky.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
:stare: Yakuza 2 in HD? Oh. My. loving. God.

HD MAJIMA'S GREATEST MOMENT!
HD KANSAI!
HD TIGER PUNCHING!
HD SAYAMA!
HD SECRET KOREANS!
HD NOT-SO-SECRET KOREANS!
HD PEACOCKING YOUR MOM!

HD BE MY BABY SUBQUEST! Wait... poo poo. :gonk:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

they already have the scripts and translations for those two games completely done so they have no excuse not to localize this for super cheap.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

OmegaZultan posted:

they already have the scripts and translations for those two games completely done so they have no excuse not to localize this for super cheap.

You're half right: They used to call Kiryu by his given name, and the older games call Kazama and Nishiki "Fuma" and "Nishikiyama" respectively, which could confuse newer players used to the better localization of 4 and Dead Souks.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Super excited about those HD remakes. But I hope they update the comobat engines.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hortism posted:

Super excited about those HD remakes. But I hope they update the comobat engines.
I doubt it, but its not like they have changed THAT much. Almost nothing engine-wise has, other than more polygons and higher resolution textures.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Sega could be really cool and, you know, translate Yakuza 1 properly instead of putting "gently caress" in every sentence. That'd be nice. Yakuza 2 was fine.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Policenaut posted:

Sega could be really cool and, you know, translate Yakuza 1 properly instead of putting "gently caress" in every sentence. That'd be nice. Yakuza 2 was fine.

Counterpoint: "I did feel like hitting a few balls today...I suppose yours will have to do."

Also the part where Kiryu tells a hostess that he'll gently caress anything with 2 legs.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
In Texas Hold'em in the casinos, do the CPU players bluff or are they always telling the truth about their hands?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Policenaut posted:

They should translate everything except Majima, and for him give us the option of either the original, or the Mark Hamill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Captain Walker posted:

You're half right: They used to call Kiryu by his given name, and the older games call Kazama and Nishiki "Fuma" and "Nishikiyama" respectively, which could confuse newer players used to the better localization of 4 and Dead Souks.

They've been consistent with that. The English subs still have Kazuma/Kazzy/Uncle Kaz and Fuma from #1 through Dead Souls.

• Locked thread