Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

enigmahfc posted:

This wouldn't have happen to have been in Louisville, would it? Because I saw several people playing AH for the first time yesterday, saw how they were still playing after 4 hours, and I wept for them.

I ended up playing a game called Railways of the World (I think). It was okay, not that exciting or interesting to me, but that may have been caused by the one player who made the drat thing drag for an hour longer than it needed to be. It was my first time playing it, but I caught on to the rules pretty quick with just a few snags that were easily ironed out. The other woman though, oh gently caress...At one point I took her nearly 15 minutes to make a single decision. And this was the first game I had played that day. It nearly killed my will to stick around. Luckily things picked up after that.

Also, I am apparently really hard to read when it comes to traitor games, which I suits me fine.

Railways of the World's pretty cool (it's asking for hideous AP though, albeit we have the most AP-centric group in the loving world. It knocks along a lot quicker if you use a sealed-bidding system for first player). Which map were you using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Redacted

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 19, 2013

Combat-Jack
Jul 16, 2009

Less yap, more ZAP
Some friends and I have been talking about picking up a new game lately and I've been pretty curious of the deck-building games. I know Dominion is one of the most well-known/popular/favoritest but we're into more of a sci-fi aesthetic. I came across Coreworlds which looked fun and a bit of an homage to Homeworld, I didn't know if any goons had play it or could recommend any different deck builders.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

You might be interested in Eminent Domain then. It's sort of a combination role-taking and deck building game, with a sci-fi setting.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/68425/eminent-domain

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Indolent Bastard posted:

I played my first game of Arkham Horror last night. As I arrived to the games night I saw two groups, one large, one small. I sat down with the large group and five hours later the game was over. I truly see what everyone complains about with this game. Too many elements that are required to win can only be obtained randomly making strategy a bit of a joke.

No disrespect, but I don't think you know enough about Arkham Horror to judge that from a single play. You probably haven't seen more than 10% of the base set yet. Unless someone has told you or you looked it up, you won't know which unstable locations are the best ones to seal and which you can get away with only closing. You also maybe won't know which characters are best to use for cleaning up monsters and which should be used to seal gates, or how to set your sliders in Other Worlds, or how to alter your play style based on which Ancient One is in play. AH can be brutal sometimes - there's a saying among players that if you win your first game, you've forgotten a rule - but there is definitely strategy involved, and experienced players will beat the base set close to 100% of the time.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

The General posted:

Railways of the World, babies first train game. From there you can go to Steam/Age of Steam or pick it up a notch and join the wonderful world of "18xx"

If that is a "babies" first" kind of game, I guess I just don't like railroad games. It may have been the crappy player holding up the game that ruined it for me, but I also had no connection to the theme of the game. It also probably didn't help that out of the two people teaching how to play the game, one REALLY seemed like he didn't want to be there thirty minutes in and chose to bulldoze everyone without really explaining what the gently caress he was doing. Other guy was cool though. I have no idea what map was being used, by the way.

So everyone loves Dominion, but how well does it play two player? I never have played it(my timing sucks/games are already going when I can play/etc.) but I try to make sure a lot of games are decent two player since it usually is me and my wife.

Jedit posted:

No disrespect, but I don't think you know enough about Arkham Horror to judge that from a single play.

If a game takes that long to play, requires multiple play-throughs to really start enjoying, and is that dense, one play is sometimes more than enough to judge if a person might like that game. Some people just do not have the time or motivation to dedicate 10-15 hours into a board game to have it click, some people do. I played it once, and didn't really enjoy it, but I can see where people really into the theme or with the time/dedication to it might like it more.

Takes all kinds I suppose.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 15, 2012

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Redacted

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 19, 2013

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

enigmahfc posted:

So everyone loves Dominion, but how well does it play two player? I never have played it(my timing sucks/games are already going when I can play/etc.) but I try to make sure a lot of games are decent two player since it usually is me and my wife.

A lot of people prefer playing 2P, to the point that most strategy discussions I've seen tend to assume you're playing 2P. It makes it a lot easier to keep track of your opponent's deck.

3P and 4P are quite different but they're all fun. (If you have the base set and Intrigue you can play 5P-6P but it really isn't recommended. Better is to just split up and run two separate games, which is also possible if you own both of those sets.)

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Honestly, you're doing Arkham Horror wrong if you're playing it with more than four people and/or it takes more than about two hours.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Randalor posted:

You don't happen to live in Winnipeg, do you? That sounds suspiciously like my LGS's stock situation when I was there last Monday.
Nope, Champaign IL.

Hi to the C-U goon above! Always interested in board game nights.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Sherrard posted:

Honestly, you're doing Arkham Horror wrong if you're playing it with more than four people and/or it takes more than about two hours.
FYP

In other news, had a day where I played Mage Knight for the second time ever and kind of liked it, although I wasn't completely blown away. It plays very long and sometimes you can spend entire turns just discarding your hand, while your opponents can take quite long to finish theirs. I would play it again though and even though it took 3 hours I enjoyed myself on the whole.

Then I played Napoleon's Triumph with a newbie. This game is absolutely brutal for beginners, it almost feels like you are a general and never been in combat before. You don't know how to attack, don't know to defend, your cavalry is getting destroyed from all sides and your artillery gets run over while your opponent's artillery blasts you apart. Still, the newbie said he would want to play it again, so that's a win in my book.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Indolent Bastard posted:

Not really the best argument for this game being good.

The base set is somewhat unbalanced in favour of the player once you figure out the most common gate locations. Seal those, and you gain much more time to accumulate resources to finish the game. Though a random element remains, it becomes much easier. You wouldn't sit down to play cribbage for the first time and complain that the game was bad because someone who's been playing for years beats you hollow. This is just the same.

And as Sherrard said, the sweet spot for Arkham Horror is four players. More than that leads to overlong downtime and thinly spread resources; fewer, and threats start multiplying faster than you can cope. It's common for people to play four investigators solo or two each in a two-player game. The game will take longer than two hours while you're learning, though.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
If anything, the fact that playing a certain very boring style will make it impossible to lose Arkham is kind of a testament to how bad the game is. Just stock up on a decent set of weapons, wait for the GOO to come, and then blow them up. Way easier than playing the actual game, with way fewer rules arguments.

Does it completely ruin the point of the game? Well, yeah. But if you play the game as intended then it becomes a slog of houserules and random events that can take a long drat time. And it's not very fun either way.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Anyone have any insight about the Chaos in the Old World Horned Rat expansion? Does it add enough to justify a purchase? Does the balance and sublime strategy survive intact?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

hairrorist posted:

Anyone have any insight about the Chaos in the Old World Horned Rat expansion? Does it add enough to justify a purchase? Does the balance and sublime strategy survive intact?

The Horned Rat's advancement goal is pretty clever; it baffles me that the base game shipped with 3 gods who got tokens for all doing essentially the same thing and the domination mechanic didn't play into advancement at all. I haven't played enough to speak to balance, but the new upgrades at least seemed to not have the problem of every god having an obvious first choice.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Broken Loose posted:

And boarding actions. Boarding actions! Get 2 ships into base contact and then dice off with your opponent. You'll want to pick up more dice, though. Each side rolls a number of dice equal to your captain's swashbuckling stat. Compare all the 5+ dice and then the opponent draws a Wound card for their captain and then rolls on a Duel Result chart to determine how grievous the wound was. I'm not exaggerating or embellishing any of this.

Yes you are because that flat isn't true.

In a boarding action captains first fight a duel. Both roll D6 equal to their duel stat, the guy with the fewer successes takes one wound. There is no chart to roll on, there is a list of four things: flesh wound, moderate wound, grievous wound, dead guy. And you reveal it step by step as you take wounds. If there's a tie, both take one wound.

Then you fight a boarding action. Both side rolls D6 equal to the number of crew they have. Loser draws as many damage cards as the difference was. If there's a tie, both draw one card.

And shooting isn't nearly as bad as you make it out to be either. It's pretty much the standard Warhammer system of figure out target score, roll dice, opponent rolls saves with some uncharacteristically simple and effective LOS rules. After two rounds of getting used to it broadsides can be resolved in 30 seconds or less.

(EDIT: I do agree with parts of your post though. I've always thought the way wind works is kinda crap and the game could do with a lot of streamlining in parts. I personally bought mine in one of the 'oh god someone buy this please' sales for the miniatures and the sea mat to use with Uncharted Seas)

Jedit posted:

AH can be brutal sometimes - there's a saying among players that if you win your first game, you've forgotten a rule - but there is definitely strategy involved, and experienced players will beat the base set close to 100% of the time.

We definitely had one of those games yesterday!

Basic set + Dunwich Horror + King in Yellow. Yig as the GOO, King in Yellow as Herald. Yig has a rule where if you kill a cultist, his Doom Track goes up. We had to kill two cultists on the first two turns, then a guy was lost in time and space, which also pushed up his Doom Track. Then our second Mythos card was "The Next Act Begins...". We paid the cost (added two Doom tokens to the track), the next card was "shuffle the Mythos deck" and the next one was a second "The Next Act Begins...". And so was the next.

So basically after our first full turn we had five Doom tokens, we were on Act II and because the Terror Track kept going up we had to drop Blight tokens, which among other things bumped our outskirts monster limit down to one.

We actually managed to dig deep and came within two gates of a closing victory when we pulled another "The Next Act Begins..." and the world ended. It was bloody great!

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 15, 2012

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Indolent Bastard posted:

Urbana, Illinois.

For anyone in the area who may be interested.

Illini Roleplaying Network (Includes board and table top games):
http://www.illini-rp.net/forum/index.php

Games night thread:
http://www.illini-rp.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10470

Cool to see this post, I live in the area, too, but generally have a group my friends formed to play games together. It might be nice getting more involved in some larger groups though, but until now I never really knew if there was much of a local scene.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

My group loves Arkham Horror, but you NEED the expansions (at the very least, King in Yellow) for it to be any real challenge. And you also need to limit how many expansions you use, we found base set+ two small sets usually works good, gives a good challenge while also having a nice variety of encounters.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Also one house rule which should've been planned into the game from the get go is this:

When you get an encounter, YOU don't read it. The guy next to you reads it and when he comes to a check or decision, he doesn't tell you the outcome. You have to decide as blind as your character. And hey presto, suddenly the encounters aren't boring games of odds anymore, they feel like proper adventures.

It would've been nice if this had been planned in from the start so they could've formatted the cards better to suit the rule.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Der Shovel posted:

Also one house rule which should've been planned into the game from the get go is this:

When you get an encounter, YOU don't read it. The guy next to you reads it and when he comes to a check or decision, he doesn't tell you the outcome. You have to decide as blind as your character. And hey presto, suddenly the encounters aren't boring games of odds anymore, they feel like proper adventures.

It would've been nice if this had been planned in from the start so they could've formatted the cards better to suit the rule.

They intended the game to be playable solo.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Jedit posted:

They intended the game to be playable solo.

which is a special kind of 'kill yourself' sad.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
Arkham Horror is a great beer and pretzels experience. If you don't want to really think and rather just roll dice and look at lots of chits, cards and boards for a couple/few hours; I'm not sure there's a game that can top AH in that department.

Aside from that, it's one of the worst games I own. Every niche Arkham Horror supposedly fills (with the possible exception of wanting to cover my table with an absurd amount of components) I have a game for that will be a better experience.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Trynant posted:

Arkham Horror is a great beer and pretzels experience. If you don't want to really think and rather just roll dice and look at lots of chits, cards and boards for a couple/few hours; I'm not sure there's a game that can top AH in that department.

It's called Tales of the Arabian Nights. I used to play games like Arkham and Talisman when I simply wanted a casual night of fun with friends. Once I got a copy of Arabian Nights, I can't imagine ever playing either of those other two again. I scratches that same itch, but is so much more fulfilling.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Deviant posted:

which is a special kind of 'kill yourself' sad.

But oh so thematically satisfying. I could tell you what it's like to play Arkham Horror solo, but you would surely go mad.

(It's probably squamous, though.)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Are there any places to try out Lords of Waterdeep online?

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Countblanc posted:

Are there any places to try out Lords of Waterdeep online?

Legally? Probably not. It's wholly owned and published by WotC as part of the D&D universe. An IP they, rightfully, control with an iron fist. I'm not even sure the rulebook is available online, honestly. I looked and came up short.

I'm sure someone has put it on Vassal though if you want to go that route, which is probably of questionable legality.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.
Wizards provides the Lords of Waterdeep rulebook for download here: http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dnd/waterdeep1#78495

AgentF
May 11, 2009

hairrorist posted:

Completely worth it. The new god is novel, fun and interesting, and the replacement chaos/upgrade cards are better than the base set (and even a little more balanced too, I think). With that said, even though the new upgrades are a little more balanced there are some obviously overpowered ones (including one that gives Khorne 2VP every time something dies to a bloodletter). Just houserule it though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The General posted:

Railways of the World, babies first train game. From there you can go to Steam/Age of Steam or pick it up a notch and join the wonderful world of "18xx"

Where does Baltimore & Ohio fit in there?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

AgentF posted:

Completely worth it. The new god is novel, fun and interesting, and the replacement chaos/upgrade cards are better than the base set (and even a little more balanced too, I think). With that said, even though the new upgrades are a little more balanced there are some obviously overpowered ones (including one that gives Khorne 2VP every time something dies to a bloodletter). Just houserule it though.

The main problem with that card isn't even that it's 2VP every time something dies to a bloodletter; it's that it's 2VP every time Khorne kills someone while a bloodletter is in the region at all.

What would you recommend to houserule it?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Not really the best argument for this game being good. I did say that I would try it again, but my experice and the various bad reviews don't give me lots of hope. I'll report in after the next game.

It's very true - it's not a great argument. That being said, I found Space Alert to be incredibly frustrating during the first tutorial session so in my opinion, the games sort of follow the same sort of thing - you have to play it more than once so that you get a feel for the game and it starts clicking.

The thing is, Space Alert takes 10 minutes to play. So once you've suffered through the tutorial with your friends you are onto playing 286758318476198 times more enjoyable games in the matter of another 10 minutes.

Arkham Horror takes so many hours (I'll assume 4 for this argument) before you can play again to actually enjoy it. Odds are, you can only play it once per day whereas in that same span of time (I'm adding 5 minutes per Space Alert game to account for the debrief) you can play 16 games of Space Alert and be past the awkward introductory phase.

In terms of time invested to have fun, Arkham Horror can be a bit of a wash.

That being said, I'm looking forward to trying it again with my friends. We've decided on one important house rule - any rule that gets in the way of having fun we don't use - and oh god we're already playing a different game...

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

LuiCypher posted:

The thing is, Space Alert takes 10 minutes to play. So once you've suffered through the tutorial with your friends you are onto playing 286758318476198 times more enjoyable games in the matter of another 10 minutes.

Space Alert has a 10 minute timed action selection phase, but if you could actually play the game during that 10 minutes I'd like it a bit more.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

bobvonunheil posted:

The main problem with that card isn't even that it's 2VP every time something dies to a bloodletter; it's that it's 2VP every time Khorne kills someone while a bloodletter is in the region at all.

What would you recommend to houserule it?

I'd have to playtest it but you could make it 1VP or 2VP on the roll of a natural 6 to kill a model or... something along those lines. Just water down the fact that Khorne can chase Tzeentch or The Horned Rat around the board for 6-12 VP/turn.

Hell you could just limit it to 2VP per region and it wouldn't be all that bad.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

Space Alert has a 10 minute timed action selection phase, but if you could actually play the game during that 10 minutes I'd like it a bit more.

The rest of the game takes 5-10 minutes at most*. Include setup time (especially the setup between rounds once the board is already out) and it's still damned short. What are you playing that goes faster than that?

*This depends on your group I guess, as some people like to sit and debate everything that happens in the resolution phase and speculate about how every little mistake will turn out, which takes longer than just playing it through and finding out. I guess it's a sign that they're having fun so I shouldn't complain, but you should be able to cut it down to a couple minutes if you can keep people somewhat focused without killing the mood.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
You can't houserule Bloodletters upgrade without ruining Khorne's chances for a point victory. If you want to make the upgrades more even so that there's less obvious choices, houserule the shittier ones to be better.

Although Khorne is a bad example; of all five gods, he's the only one where I'd say all of his upgrades are sometimes useful. Vengeance is good when you're going for dial victory, Bloodthirster and Crimson Tide are generally good second upgrades regardless of which victory you're going for, and I can't remember what the Bloodsworn upgrade does so maybe that one sucks.

The big offenders in "obvious upgrade is obvious" are Tzeentch (free horrors) and the Horned Rat (Under Empire).

You want to talk about a broken upgrade, take a look at the pre-expansion Nurgle.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

DontMockMySmock posted:

You want to talk about a broken upgrade, take a look at the pre-expansion Nurgle.

Which one? I'm thinking specifically of an upgrade we've seen in play a lot - free cultist placement. Inevitably the Nurgle player just uses this to place a ton of free cultists and stall for time until everyone else is out of power.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

General Battuta posted:

Which one? I'm thinking specifically of an upgrade we've seen in play a lot - free cultist placement. Inevitably the Nurgle player just uses this to place a ton of free cultists and stall for time until everyone else is out of power.

The one that says "no effort 12-15 points please." 3 points per ruined region, regardless of whether you participate in ruining it. Can't remember what it's called.

edit: and if that looks comparable to the expansion Bloodletters upgrade, remember that the two are not balanced for one another, and also that Khorne doesn't generally get points for ruining things. Bloodletters is not broken in the context of the expansion cards.

King Chicken
Apr 23, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Where does Baltimore & Ohio fit in there?

Baltimore and Ohio has more in common with 18xx, Imperial, or Chicago Express. You're not playing any single company in B&O, but can invest in many companies. It's a good game, and some people prefer it to 18xx because there is no loving around with complicated MC Escher route building. You just drop cubes to build a train line.

Just jump into whatever one you want to play and ignore the lovely 'gateway' games. I'd pass on Railways of the World and go with Age of Steam or Steam if you want a game where you focus on building up a company with a maze of railroads. If you want an investment game, Chicago Express and German Railways have simple rules and will hold up to being really great games even if your group moves on to longer, heavier stuff. If trains sound boring as poo poo but you still want a good investment game, pick up Imperial and have fun blowing up your friends while playing the stock market.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I've just found out about Discworld: Ankh-Morpork, and it just so happens that my friend with whom I wanted to play this is currently in London, UK. Now, there's no chance in hell to buy it in :poland:. I need to point my buddy to a store in London - considering he doesn't know the city, where would one go to get that game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I live in London and the usual places are Orc's nest, leisure games (although it's away from the centre of town) or even forbidden planet although it doesn't stock much. Sorry for no links but it should be easy to google them if you specify it's in London.

• Locked thread