Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
The Inbetweeners was perfectly fine, especially in the first series and the film. I feel like they took a few mis-steps with it that just happened to coincide with it becoming really popular, and that's one reason why people think it's worse or more annoying than it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Do we know anybody who liked Coming of Age, and were they a knobhead?
I'd just like to know if that show had an audience.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wafflecop posted:

Fixed for me... Actually I'd say the people I know who like "The Boosh" are generally mentally unbalanced people who have a large capacity for being knobheads.

Went to see their first live show in Cardiff after a rugby day... urgh, such bad timing. I don't think they were even at their stupidly popular stage at that point, but the performance was marred by a bunch of Valley's boys drunkenly yelling out 'Nabooooooo!' and other characters names on an almost constant basis throughout.

The first two series' were great, but I really don't know what happened with the third. I don't think I even saw the 2nd live show, but I'm guessing it continued that spiral?

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
The radio show was great.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The Boosh is massively poo poo though and almost every person that enjoys it expresses condescending dismay when you tell them that you don't understand why you don't like it.

"Its probably a bit too...out there for you, isn't it?".

Nope. Its just poo poo.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Yes, that's the best way to look at it. <this set of knobheads> like <this program> therefore <this programme> is only liked by <knobheads>. Good work, mate.

Unless you're reading that to mean I know everyone, that's not what I said. :thumbsup: I'm sure there's fine people out there who like The Inbetweeners and Chelsea, and if I want to keep going, Nintendo and Coldplay; but for me, they aren't ever people I enjoy hanging out with.

Mickolution posted:

What does that matter? The Olympics are a huge event and McDonalds have spent a huge amount of money to be an official sponsor. Nothing wrong with them doing ads for it.

edit: also, what's an "Olympic exclusive sport?"

Well, yeah, I don't begrudge them advertising for it in the most bombastic way but taking track and field events from a filler slot on BBC Two to being the Magic of Dreams is ridiculous. This is the one time in four years that anyone gives a ahit about how far someone can throw a javelin and from then on, they're forgotten again.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Handsome Dead posted:

Unless you're reading that to mean I know everyone, that's not what I said. :thumbsup: I'm sure there's fine people out there who like The Inbetweeners and Chelsea, and if I want to keep going, Nintendo and Coldplay; but for me, they aren't ever people I enjoy hanging out with.

Please keep your videogame preferences out of this otherwise highbrow thread, nerd.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Handsome Dead posted:

Are you honestly saying that every person you've ever met who liked The Inbetweeners, Chelsea or Nintendo (?!?) turned out to be people you didn't like?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Handsome Dead posted:

Well, yeah, I don't begrudge them advertising for it in the most bombastic way but taking track and field events from a filler slot on BBC Two to being the Magic of Dreams is ridiculous. This is the one time in four years that anyone gives a ahit about how far someone can throw a javelin and from then on, they're forgotten again.

Maybe so, but it's the fact that it's part of one of (if not the) biggest sporting event on the planet that matters. In most of the events, an Olympic medal is hugely prestigious no matter how little interest people have in the event the rest of the time.

Your argument is like saying "look at all these companies doing Christmas ads in December, nobody's going to care about that in January."

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Im rewatching Red Dwarf and its amazing how formulaic it is to how I remember

First couple of methods establish the plot - usually outling a characters view on something, the rest of the show is them interacting with something that challenges that view. Season 4 and 5 have been all over this, stuff like them watching Casablanca then the plot being that.

Its a bit poo poo :(

Thankfully Im not far from Back to Reality and Gunmen of the Apocolypse, so I'll keep watching

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
:thumbsup:

that looks like a jam biscuit.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
RIP:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/tv-radio/bbc-television-centre-sold-for-200m-7946379.html

quote:

The BBC has sold its landmark Television Centre for about £200 million.

A statement released today said the corporation "exchanged contracts" with property developers Stanhope Plc on Saturday.

More details will be released when the sale is complete.

The 14-acre site in White City, west London, will be empty by 2015 after staff have moved to other sites including MediaCity in Salford and the new Broadcasting House in central London."

The BBC originally announced it wanted to sell the building, which opened in 1960, in 2007.

The main circular building, known to staff as the doughnut, was given Grade II listed status by English Heritage in 2009.

Among the shows recorded in its studios are Fawlty Towers, Monty Python's Flying Circus, Blue Peter, Doctor Who and Strictly Come Dancing.

The site is also home to the Blue Peter garden, which has been relocated to Salford.

When the sale process was first announced, the then W12 programme director Richard Deverell said the building had "played an extraordinary and central role in the history of the BBC" and would "not be forgotten".

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Handsome Dead posted:

You only have to last two weeks without watching Homes Under The Hammer, let it go, christ.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ugh, depressing. So I guess that special that they aired about it recently was actually more like a eulogy?

Hopefully I get a visa soon and manage to get to do some work experience with the BBC in Television Centre before they stop using it. :smith:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I now declare this thread the University Challenge live reactions thread for the next 23 minutes.

Look at those nerds. Look at them.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 16, 2012

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Szmitten posted:

I now declare this thread the University Challenge live reactions thread for the next 23 minutes.

Look at those nerds. Look at them.

I don't usually watch University Challenge, but neither side seems to be doing very well.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
reminder that

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Xachariah posted:

I don't usually watch University Challenge, but neither side seems to be doing very well.

The music and dance university is failing the music round, so yes.

Chemistry student fucks up question on the periodic table.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 16, 2012

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Szmitten posted:

The music and dance university is failing the music round, so yes.

Chemistry student fucks up question on the periodic table.

Well, I can't say I would have done much better than any of the contestants. Good job to York for winning.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Also they couldn't identify a picture of Chicago despite the GIANT loving SHADOW OF WILLIS* TOWER :argh:

*formerly Sears

Edit: Pretty sure Meigs Field (RIP) was in shot as well. Did these people never play Flight Sim 5??

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Taff posted:

Im rewatching Red Dwarf and its amazing how formulaic it is to how I remember

First couple of methods establish the plot - usually outling a characters view on something, the rest of the show is them interacting with something that challenges that view. Season 4 and 5 have been all over this, stuff like them watching Casablanca then the plot being that.

Its a bit poo poo :(

The first two series are a lot better.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

HoldYourFire posted:

Also they couldn't identify a picture of Chicago despite the GIANT loving SHADOW OF WILLIS* TOWER :argh:

*formerly Sears

Edit: Pretty sure Meigs Field (RIP) was in shot as well. Did these people never play Flight Sim 5??

I got Shanghai correct so I can be smug about being less qualified than them. :3:

SuperFurryAnimal
May 10, 2004
Super Furry Animal
I have developed an irrational hatred of that little boy on festival dad's shoulders in the McDonalds Olympic ad. Little poo poo.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The first two series are a lot better.

Any season but 7 is worth watching, really. Even 8 had its moments. Not many, granted.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

incredible bear posted:

You only have to last two weeks without watching Homes Under The Hammer, let it go, christ.

Excuse me, but Homes Under The Hammer is a quality show. It was the highlight of my days for a few months when I was ill. I like how they play music that fits with the story of why the person bought the house :smug:

sex pervert fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 17, 2012

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Someone is messing with the BBC's schedule via court orders http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jul/17/bbc-lawyers-appeal-riots-drama

Media Guardian posted:

BBC lawyers consider formal appeal over court ban on riots drama

Lawyers for the BBC are considering making a formal appeal against a court order that has banned the corporation from showing a dramatised film about the experiences of rioters who took part in last summer's disorder.

The ruling from a judge prevented the docu-drama, which had been due to be broadcast on BBC2 at 9pm on Monday, from being broadcast "by any media until further order".

The channel's executives were forced to pull the film, which is based on the testimony of interviews conducted for the Guardian and London School of Economics research into the disorder.

A second BBC film in the two-part series, which is based on personal interviews with police officers and was scheduled for broadcast on Wednesday, is also banned under the order.

For legal reasons, the Guardian cannot name the judge who made the ruling, the court in which he is sitting or the case he is presiding over. However, it is understood that lawyers for the BBC strongly object to his ruling, the nature of which is believed to be highly unusual.

Hours before Monday's programme was due to be aired, the BBC tried and failed to appeal the order over the telephone. The corporation's lawyers are now working on legal arguments for a second, formal appeal.

The programme, part of a two-part series, features actors who play anonymous rioters speaking about their experiences of the riots last August. The BBC said in a statement on Monday: "A court order has been made that has prevented the BBC from broadcasting the programme The Riots: In their own Words tonight. We will put it out at a later date."

The script from the programme, written by the award-winning playwright Alecky Blythe, was produced from verbatim transcripts of interviews conducted as part of the Reading the Riots study, which conducted confidential interviews with 270 rioters.

The ban on the film has created a major headache for BBC executives, who are being forced to reorganise a packed schedule, which includes Olympic coverage and journalism based around next month's anniversary of the riots.

The BBC did not give details about the nature or contents of the court order. However a copy seen by the Guardian states: "It is ordered that the BBC programme 'The Riots: In their Own Words' due for broadcast on BBC 2 tonight is not broadcast by any media by any means until further order." Another part of the ruling states: "Further the clip currently available for viewing on the BBC website be removed forthwith."

The clip referred to by the judge appeared on a blog posted last Friday, in which a BBC producer on the project said that using the "important and illuminating" interviews in the drama would provide insight into "why and how the riots had happened". The clip, a short preview of the actors playing rioters speaking about their experiences, has now been removed from the site - although the blog remains.

Ah the open and accessible justice system. It's been pulled, why? Nobody knows. Who is lobbying to have it pulled? Nobody knows. Which judge is responsible for the order? Nobody knows.
:ughh:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

is this clip on youtube or anywhere?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Govt sought the order over fears it might give certain people ideas just as the Olympics brings the world media upon us.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Every policeperson drafted to secure Olympic sites, every major bank, police station, political office burned to the ground.

:allears:

Benzene
Feb 1, 2007
So viel Spaß für wenig Geld.
Line of Duty is like watching an 'edgy' year 11 play on police corruption. Kept meaning to keep a running count of the number of times 'ya bent bastard' was said but couldn't be arsed. I don't watch it but I'm visiting my family and they love it. Thank God next week is the last.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Benzene posted:

I don't watch it but I'm visiting my family and they love it. Thank God next week is the last.

Hah this was literally me tonight as well. I didn't get it either, especially with those loving annoying 'sudden zoom in' shots they kept doing. It wasn't amazingly acted either and the plot was just so dry.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Dr Snofeld posted:

Any season but 7 is worth watching, really. Even 8 had its moments. Not many, granted.

Despite it maybe being formulaic I really do love Series 4 best of all. The casablanca episode wasn't good and the episode with the curry monster was a bit ehh, and Justice really just had one very good joke ("but I lied...twice"), but nothing in the entire rest of the show tops Ace Rimmer, the execution on the Waxworks Planet, or the conversation about the White Hole. I can still laugh at those just thinking about them.

That said, I think we may be the only two people who think that Series 8 wasn't completely awful in every way without a single redeeming feature.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
8 had Cassandra, that was alright.The rest was terrible though.

As bad as 7 was compared to 1-6, they did lose Rob Grant, the models and Chris Barrie, so they were making the best of a bad situation.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
The time has come: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSCaEijMx3U

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh dear god that looks awful in every way.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Holy poo poo it looks like a parody of amercanising shows you'd see on a sketch show.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Burn MTV and/or America to the ground, salt the earth.

It looks like they've already filmed the entire series from the variety of clips, how did anyone let that past the first scene.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
It looks loving poo poo but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it becomes pretty popular with American kids. And then runs for 7 seasons.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

It's easy to keep saying society has hit rock bottom, but this time I mean it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I've never seen a like to dislike ratio that huge on Youtube.