Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Does anyone have a podcast app where you can designate a folder on your SD card and that'll be the podcasts and it'll let you browse just the stuff in there and have play resume and played notifications and things? I sync my podcasts over from my PC but I don't really like having them shuffed in in the music player, since it doesn't behave the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Does anyone have a podcast app where you can designate a folder on your SD card and that'll be the podcasts and it'll let you browse just the stuff in there and have play resume and played notifications and things? I sync my podcasts over from my PC but I don't really like having them shuffed in in the music player, since it doesn't behave the same.

Doggcatcher has "virtual feeds" function that can do this. You would have to input each podcast individually though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I didn't have to reregister. I just logged in and downloaded the new one. :confused:

On the topic of Swype, did they remove the feature of swyping from the comma to the spacebar? Any time I do that now, it adds ".com" to whatever I'm typing.
You're talking about the version with Nuance? Version 1.0.3.5809? Everyone I know who uses it had to reregister.

I don't know what comma to spacebar is supposed to do but it doesn't do anything at all for me.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

You're talking about the version with Nuance? Version 1.0.3.5809? Everyone I know who uses it had to reregister.

I don't know what comma to spacebar is supposed to do but it doesn't do anything at all for me.

Yes, that is the version I have. In the old swype, comma to spacebar did, appropriately, a comma then a space. You're supposed to be able to use Swype without ever having to hit the spacebar but with this change, it doesn't seem possible anymore. It still works with the period and question mark though.

Also I just noticed that in the browser URL bar, the comma is replaced by a .com button. I wonder if it's just a bug.

edit: nevermind, comma to space seems to be working for me now. Not sure what happened.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I didn't have to register again and swiping from comma to space work fine for me. If anything, just delete the .com entry from the dictionary.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Is there an app that allows someone else to track where you are on a map?

When i pick up my wife from work, i'd like her to be able to see how far i am away from picking her up so she can get ready to pack up her stuff and go outside at the right time. Bonus points if she can track me on her computer and not just her phone.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Doomsday Jesus posted:

What is the best podcasting app? I am currently using Beyond Pod but wasn't sure if there was a better option. It'd be nice to have with play controls on the lock screen.

Not sure about the lock screen, but I love doggcatcher.

Mister Fister posted:

When i pick up my wife from work, i'd like her to be able to see how far i am away from picking her up so she can get ready to pack up her stuff and go outside at the right time. Bonus points if she can track me on her computer and not just her phone.

Instamapper

You'll get a HTML snippet that you can put on your homepage and then people can spy on you with ease.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

On the topic of Swype, did they remove the feature of swyping from the comma to the spacebar? Any time I do that now, it adds ".com" to whatever I'm typing.

I think this is bug in the new version that seems to happen if you keep your phone on for an extended period without a reboot. I started having the same issue, but it resolved itself after power cycling and hasn't happened since.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

blugu64 posted:

Instamapper

You'll get a HTML snippet that you can put on your homepage and then people can spy on you with ease.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

My wife and I use Latitude constantly for this.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

LastInLine posted:

My wife and I use Latitude constantly for this.

Had no idea google had their own app for that, thanks.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Glympse is also nice for this.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does Latitude still murder battery even with GPS off like it did a year or so ago?

Echoes
Aug 27, 2008
Is anyone else having problems with notifications in the official Twitter app? (Should I be using the official one?). Notifications used to work perfectly but now they don't show up at all, when I try and change the notifications settings in the actual app, all of the options are greyed out and I'm unable to change anything. Any tips?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Tunga posted:

Does Latitude still murder battery even with GPS off like it did a year or so ago?

No.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The only problems I have with Latitude nowadays:

• It's a black box. When is it going to update your location next? Only those who wrote the algorithm know. I realize its based upon battery life, travel, wifi, blah, blah, blah...but it still bothers me for some reason to get updates at widely varying times.
  • The widget sits at Unknown Location half the time, despite the fact that it knows exactly where I am.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Does anyone have a good live wallpaper that a) allows different wallpapers per screen, and/or b) allows different wallpapers has on orientation? i.e. Landscape is one, Portrait is another. Might be moot on Jellybean, since I can't seem to rotate the home screen on my nexus 7.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

• It's a black box. When is it going to update your location next? Only those who wrote the algorithm know. I realize its based upon battery life, travel, wifi, blah, blah, blah...but it still bothers me for some reason to get updates at widely varying times.
  • The widget sits at Unknown Location half the time, despite the fact that it knows exactly where I am.

I really, really wish I could just have it not bother my phone until someone on my approved list wants to see my location - then have it ping my phone for a location. Then grant different people different types of access, ie: my wife could have the ability to track my location in real-time to see when I'll be home kind of thing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fudsak posted:

I really, really wish I could just have it not bother my phone until someone on my approved list wants to see my location - then have it ping my phone for a location. Then grant different people different types of access, ie: my wife could have the ability to track my location in real-time to see when I'll be home kind of thing.
This is exactly what Latitude does?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Are there any video players and youtube player solutions that will play videos while the screen is off? It's long been a function of my various smartphones to play stored movie audio and I'm pulling up goose egg on MX player and Moboplayer on my ATT SGS3. Any suggestions?

Also, is there a mechanism to define screen rotation for a specific program? It seems that the youtube app is less than functional unless you can landscape it but for nearly everything else I'm satisfied with locking screen rotation into portrait. If I could keep screen rotation locked but have youtube default to landscape I'd be in heaven.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Thermopyle posted:

You can control this by setting updates to manual in Latitude and use Backitude for the actual updating.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

LastInLine posted:

This is exactly what Latitude does?

Negative... you can't have it force updates from your friends list. You used to be able to but they removed the feature saying it didn't actually work. Like he mentioned, it's a black-box and it picks it's own times to update your location. I can make a 15 minute ride home and still say I'm at work during the whole route.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

torjus posted:

You can control this by setting updates to manual in Latitude and use Backitude for the actual updating.

Wow this seems perfect. Thanks!

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Wow this seems perfect. Thanks!

Report back if this is a better solution than Glympse.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Jensen posted:

Report back if this is a better solution than Glympse.

Well, I can already tell you that it increases accuracy of Latitude to about perfect. You can set it to update Latitude every X minutes with GPS, network, or WiFi-based location with different settings depending upon whether you're charging or not.

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it
I checked out wheresmydroid, the free version, and it seems like a pretty good app but there are a few issues. When you send the code to ring the phone, if your phone is locked you have to unlock it to silence it in app. But, you can also silence it by hitting the emergency call feature on the lock screen, or just silencing the phone using the power button. Are there any other apps with similar functions that don't allow this? I'm looking for something that you to send a text message(or web interface, both options) from any phone to either ring the phone on max volume, lock the phone remotely, wipe it, or locate using gps. It would be sweet if it could remotely turn on gps as well, so I don't need to leave it on 24/7. Or maybe it would be possible to combine with tasker, so when the finder app receives a message, it launches gps?

What do you guys use?

Alternatively, is there any way to disable these features? Basically I want the lock/power button to only allow me to set the phone to silent or turn it off when the phone is unlocked, and maybe remove emergency calling from the lock screen/not have it interrupt the ringer? That last one is probably too much to ask for/ maybe a bad idea. This is on a GS3 running touchwiz w/ ICS.

Another interesting feature could be the ability to remote wipe the phone, except for the finder app, so that you could continue to use the gps locate without worrying about your data being compromised.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Check out AndroidLost.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

snowman posted:

I checked out wheresmydroid, the free version, and it seems like a pretty good app but there are a few issues. When you send the code to ring the phone, if your phone is locked you have to unlock it to silence it in app. But, you can also silence it by hitting the emergency call feature on the lock screen, or just silencing the phone using the power button. Are there any other apps with similar functions that don't allow this? I'm looking for something that you to send a text message(or web interface, both options) from any phone to either ring the phone on max volume, lock the phone remotely, wipe it, or locate using gps. It would be sweet if it could remotely turn on gps as well, so I don't need to leave it on 24/7. Or maybe it would be possible to combine with tasker, so when the finder app receives a message, it launches gps?

What do you guys use?

Alternatively, is there any way to disable these features? Basically I want the lock/power button to only allow me to set the phone to silent or turn it off when the phone is unlocked, and maybe remove emergency calling from the lock screen/not have it interrupt the ringer? That last one is probably too much to ask for/ maybe a bad idea. This is on a GS3 running touchwiz w/ ICS.

Another interesting feature could be the ability to remote wipe the phone, except for the finder app, so that you could continue to use the gps locate without worrying about your data being compromised.

If the SGS3 is the same as the SGS2 then Samsung already has their own solution for this and it's built right into your phone*. Go to Settings, Security and somewhere in there should be a "Remote controls" option. Tick it and it should prompt you to set up a Samsung account, which is then added to the "Accounts and Sync" page as a management service. This allows you to remote control the phone from their website (http://www.samsungdive.com/) including tracking the phone (which will enable GPS if it's off), locking it out, remote wiping it or forcing it to ring at max volume regardless of the volume setting.

*Note that this assumes the US carriers haven't done something retarded like removing it. My SGS2 is a UK model and is running the ROM straight from Samsung with no carrier mods.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
According to some random Samsung rep response I found on Google, its not available in the US and may or may not ever come to the US. Shame. So AndroidLost it is still.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What about Prey?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

DemonMage posted:

According to some random Samsung rep response I found on Google, its not available in the US and may or may not ever come to the US. Shame. So AndroidLost it is still.

That sucks. I wonder what the rationale behind that one is? Whether it's something technical or just network operator politics.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Cerberus is what the cool kids are using. Of course, most of those cool kids got it for free a few months ago.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rolleyes posted:

That sucks. I wonder what the rationale behind that one is? Whether it's something technical or just network operator politics.

There's only ever one answer to this question.

Saliciouscrumb
Jan 15, 2002

snowman posted:

What do you guys use?

Cerberus is what you should be using. Hmmm, I donät know if it can turn on the gps or not remotely.

Saliciouscrumb fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 16, 2012

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Seeing as you can't even turn on GPS locally except by going into the settings menu (i.e. apps can't do it themselves) I'm assuming the only way to do it on an unrooted phone is via device administrator credentials, which is what that Samsung account does. Whether apps can set their own services up to do that or not I don't know.

edit:
From the app page:

Android Market posted:

Cerberus automatically enables GPS if it is off when you try to localize your device (only on Android < 2.3.3) and you can protect it from unauthorized uninstalling - more info in the app configuration.

It doesn't look like Cerberus acts as a device admin, so no remote GPS enabling on ICS or above.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 16, 2012

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Does anyone know a way to entirely disable the Night Mode in Gentle Alarm?

Or, are there recommendations for a better alarm app? Feels like Gentle Alarm is a little too overwhelming.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I'm using tasker for my alarm, it open my streaming radio app in the morning.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

rolleyes posted:

It doesn't look like Cerberus acts as a device admin, so no remote GPS enabling on ICS or above.

Sure it does.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Maybe it's not the device admin credentials which allow remote GPS activation then, possibly Samsung have patched Android in their ROMs so that their service can get access to that part of the system while others are still stuck with the ICS restrictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Why wouldn't Android use Chrome as the main browser? The stock browser is fine but chrome works really well and syncs up with desktop Chrome. It seems really weird that they segmented it.

• Locked thread