Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clown Meadows
Jul 13, 2003

YARRRR! Where be the gray matter up in this piece, son?
Hiya, I've had both my 3GS and ipad2 jail broken for a while but haven't mucked around with many cydia apps besides vlc, itransmission and ifile. I'm just tinkering with them now but I wanted a bit of clarification as whenever I update the firmware, I lose those apps. I'm aware that updating will wipe the jailbreak but what is the solution to losing the cydia apps? Does app sync solve this or do you just have to reinstall them every time?
Further, is it really worthwhile to sync iPhone and iPad apps? I'm just trying it for the first time now but the potential compatibility issues make me wonder whether it's going to be more hassle than it's really worth. Cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Clown Meadows posted:

Hiya, I've had both my 3GS and ipad2 jail broken for a while but haven't mucked around with many cydia apps besides vlc, itransmission and ifile. I'm just tinkering with them now but I wanted a bit of clarification as whenever I update the firmware, I lose those apps. I'm aware that updating will wipe the jailbreak but what is the solution to losing the cydia apps? Does app sync solve this or do you just have to reinstall them every time?
Further, is it really worthwhile to sync iPhone and iPad apps? I'm just trying it for the first time now but the potential compatibility issues make me wonder whether it's going to be more hassle than it's really worth. Cheers!

Cydia apps are unsigned code. Unsigned code won't run without a jailbreak. You will lose the apps. You will have to re-install them every time.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
That's correct but there are ways to automate that process like the dpkg thing in the OP and some app I forget the name of.

hamza
Mar 3, 2007

randyest posted:

That's correct but there are ways to automate that process like the dpkg thing in the OP and some app I forget the name of.

AptBackup will do this.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My 3GS has been acting kind of wonky, so I've been looking into jailbreaking it from 4.2.1 to the latest untethered version.

Before I try that, though, I was wondering if anyone could confirm or deny the notion that jailbroken/unlocked iPhones are worth more on eBay.

I plan to sell my phone once the next iPhone gets announced. I've been tempted to just wash my hands of the jailbreak process and update legitimately, but I've held off on that with the notion that I can sell it for more if I leave it unlocked.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I just found the Merge font on Cydia. It seems pretty nice on both my 4S and 3GS.

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I have a jailbroken 3GS (5.1.1). In the past couple of days the Firefox Home, Google Authenticator and Gmail apps have been losing their account settings. When setting up the account in Firefox Home again, it doesn't complete and gives an error about creating a keychain entry. I deleted keychain-2.db which worked temporarily, but the same problem has reoccurred. I've opened the db in a SQLite browser and I can't see any corruption (entries are present for the three apps). Permissions are correct as far as I can tell. Only changes I've made beforehand have been to purge some tweaks from Cydia that I wasn't using.

Anyone encountered anything like this before?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

So I need to take my iPhone in to get the lock button looked at; it doesn't press, and it's getting frustrating. I'm planning on heading in tomorrow.

I know that I should unjailbreak and can do so by connecting to iTunes and restoring from a factory image, but the only charging cable I have is on the fritz and incredibly finicky about when it wants to work-- another problem I'll address tomorrow, I suppose. Is there any way to unjailbreak and restore without an iTunes connection? I have a backup on iCloud for after I get it fixed, and I presume I can just get a copy of 5.1.1 over the air, right?

Thanks guys; you helped me when I first jailbroke it and you're always pretty neat :3:

jannik
Oct 15, 2004

The Biggest Anime
What's everyone's preferred Android like lock screen app?
The only one I've heard of is AndroidLock. Is that any good and are there any free alternatives available?

I'm also looking for something to help organize and hide SMS conversations/messages. Ideally I'd like to create different groups, and have the option to hide them so they won't show up inside the default Messages app.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
What tweak can I use to lock my phone another way? I dropped my iPhone 4 and now the lock button on top doesn't work. Is there a way to assign that to another button? Or even make an on-screen button?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

QPZIL posted:

What tweak can I use to lock my phone another way? I dropped my iPhone 4 and now the lock button on top doesn't work. Is there a way to assign that to another button? Or even make an on-screen button?
Settings. General. Accessibility. It's built in.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

jannik posted:

What's everyone's preferred Android like lock screen app?
The only one I've heard of is AndroidLock. Is that any good and are there any free alternatives available?

I can't remember if it's free but Stride is pretty cool.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Na'at posted:

I can't remember if it's free but Stride is pretty cool.

The problem I had with Stride is I could unlock my phone by pretty much drawing any shape sometimes while other times I could draw the correct shape and it wouldn't work.

evilmonkeh
Apr 18, 2004
meh
on the subject of MyWi/tethering, does anyone know of a way to tunnel all tethering traffic via ssh or a vpn, directly on the phone? Of course I can do it on my laptop, but it would be nice to have an app which did the tunnelling on the phone.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

evilmonkeh posted:

on the subject of MyWi/tethering, does anyone know of a way to tunnel all tethering traffic via ssh or a vpn, directly on the phone? Of course I can do it on my laptop, but it would be nice to have an app which did the tunnelling on the phone.

If you set up a standard IPSEC VPN one of the options in the VPN is "Send all traffic" which routes everything over the VPN. I used "EasyVPN" to setup a VPN server on my iMac, and after opening the right ports on my router, I can VPN from my iDevices (and my Macbook Pro) to my home internet. Pretty handy when out and using open wifi networks.

In case you have a mac, here's a link to easyvpn.
http://www.squashedsoftware.com/products-easyvpn.php

Gain 20 Pounds
Nov 11, 2007

Alright, so after realizing that Siriport on my iPhone 4 is basically a gimmick that I never use, I decided to uninstall it. I did it through Cydia like normal, then after hitting Restart Springboard, it never loaded up. So I tried to just power cycle the phone. Now, it's stuck at the Apple boot logo. Tried leaving it for a while, but it never boots up.

Am I stuck doing a restore?

-edit I'm just gonna restore anyway. Frankly the phone has been running slow as heck recently. I might rejailbreak just to use activator though. I like holding volume up or down to skip tracks.

Gain 20 Pounds fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 10, 2012

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Gain 20 Pounds posted:

Alright, so after realizing that Siriport on my iPhone 4 is basically a gimmick that I never use, I decided to uninstall it. I did it through Cydia like normal, then after hitting Restart Springboard, it never loaded up. So I tried to just power cycle the phone. Now, it's stuck at the Apple boot logo. Tried leaving it for a while, but it never boots up.

Am I stuck doing a restore?

Exact same thing happened to me when I uninstalled Siriport; I found my phone using way too much RAM after I put Siriport on and that boot screen lockup was kind of a final farewell by the evil thing. I uninstalled while at work too so had a nice paperweight for most of my shift until I could get home to my laptop. Only thought I had was it may have done it because I didn't uninstall the certificate before uninstalling the app, but after the restore and re-jailbreak I'm not going to reinstall to test the theory.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Teddybear posted:

So I need to take my iPhone in to get the lock button looked at; it doesn't press, and it's getting frustrating. I'm planning on heading in tomorrow.

I know that I should unjailbreak and can do so by connecting to iTunes and restoring from a factory image, but the only charging cable I have is on the fritz and incredibly finicky about when it wants to work-- another problem I'll address tomorrow, I suppose. Is there any way to unjailbreak and restore without an iTunes connection? I have a backup on iCloud for after I get it fixed, and I presume I can just get a copy of 5.1.1 over the air, right?

Thanks guys; you helped me when I first jailbroke it and you're always pretty neat :3:

Settings, general, reset, Erase all content and settings

Pretty sure that will do it, then just restore from icloud.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Drizzt01 posted:

Settings, general, reset, Erase all content and settings

Pretty sure that will do it, then just restore from icloud.
No no no do not erase all content while jail broken or you'll be doing a DFU restore after you panic and think you bricked your phone. You can't really brick it, but you can waste a lot of time.

Use iTunes to restore it as new, then re-JB, then restore backup from iCloud.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1337198

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.
I've had pretty good luck with the boot fix feature of ireb before. Don't know if it would help you in your situation but it could be worth a try.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

randyest posted:

No no no do not erase all content while jail broken or you'll be doing a DFU restore after you panic and think you bricked your phone. You can't really brick it, but you can waste a lot of time.

Use iTunes to restore it as new, then re-JB, then restore backup from iCloud.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1337198

Is this new? I did this with my 3gs and wife's 3gs and it worked just fine. Not doubting you just have not heard of this before.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Am I reading the OP correctly that while it is fairly simple to jailbreak a 5.1.1 iphone it won't be unlocked?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Mulatto Butts posted:

Am I reading the OP correctly that while it is fairly simple to jailbreak a 5.1.1 iphone it won't be unlocked?
You are correct.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Klowns posted:

Exact same thing happened to me when I uninstalled Siriport; I found my phone using way too much RAM after I put Siriport on and that boot screen lockup was kind of a final farewell by the evil thing. I uninstalled while at work too so had a nice paperweight for most of my shift until I could get home to my laptop. Only thought I had was it may have done it because I didn't uninstall the certificate before uninstalling the app, but after the restore and re-jailbreak I'm not going to reinstall to test the theory.

My phone has been catastrophically slow since installing siriport, I'll try removing the certificate first and report back

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
I uninstalled Siriport last week without even thinking about the certificates and had zero issues.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Drizzt01 posted:

Is this new? I did this with my 3gs and wife's 3gs and it worked just fine. Not doubting you just have not heard of this before.

Not new at all. Saurik (maker of Cydia and a ton of jailbreak programs) has it in the Cydia FAQ to NEVER hit "Reset All".

quote:

If I use Apple's Reset All Settings, why does my device not boot?

On jailbroken devices, using the "Reset All Settings" option in your device's Settings app will cause your device to require a full restore. :(

This happens because during the process of jailbreaking, your jailbreaking tool reorganizes some of the files on your device in order to make room for Cydia and other jailbreak-only files, so the "Reset All Settings" option ends up erasing important files instead of just settings.

Saurik then goes on and even lists ResetKiller (a program that disable the "Reset All" buttons) as a featured app! That addon will basically disable those pesky & dangerous buttons.

The Jailbreak QA site even has this little blurb in their FAQ:

quote:

Please don't try: Tapping "Erase All Content and Settings" (in Settings -> General -> Reset) fails badly on jailbroken devices (due to their rearranged filesystems) - the result will be a device that's stuck on the Apple logo indefinitely, only fixable by restoring it with iTunes (using custom firmware if necessary).

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Well good to know when I sell my 4 in a few months.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp, since my iPad1 isn't getting any more software updates I figured I'd go ahead and jailbreak.

I installed Ac!d Siri (and yes, I understand that my personal information is being raped by the Russians as we speak) and it's pretty awesome, except I have my iPad in landscape mode 99% of the time and the interface was apparently never built to handle this or something. Is there any workaround to make Siri display "properly" in landscape?

Honestly I would prefer her (uhhh, it) to run in iphone emulation mode or something; that would look much better than what I get now.

Second question: If I install a Siriport server of my own, how much can I do without an authentic 4S key? Will Siri respond to any commands at all, beyond what SiriPort installs? That is to say, will she (err, it) be able to list my calendar, etc? or is that all run through Apple anyway?

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.
Is there any way to quickly turn call forwarding on besides the SB Settings toggle? I don't like that method because the little phone icon doesn't appear at the top until I actually go into the normal call forwarding menu.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm looking at. BTStack GPS and TryGPSout in an attempt to tether gps data to my wifi iPad (and use navigation apps on it) but TryGPSout (for ios 5.0+) says its not compatible with my phone even though in on 5.1.1.

Has this been just not updated yet still works? Or is there any other alternatives?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm late to the iOS 5 party because I only found out today about the untethered JB. I've been running 4.2.6 forever.

I could finally download Pocket Planes, and lo and behold, 4 hours of my weekend disappeared.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I have a VPN set up to watch American Netflix on my iPad. Works perfectly.

AirPlay doesn't work (only does audio) but mirroring will. Problem is that it doesn't fit my screen - black bars.

I use DisplayOut which is a JB app, but it still doesn't fit the screen.

I can stretch it to fit but then it doesn't look as good. Any help here to make it full screen? I'm so close!!

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
Argh I'm beyond irritated at myself for finding this thread AFTER flashing my eBay bought, orange locked iPhone 4. It's now on baseband 04.12.01 and it won't accept my O2 micro.

By a stroke of luck, my main contract is currently with Orange, so I ordered a microsim and I'm happy with that. Don't know what I'm going to do when / if I want to move to giffgaff, though. Orange won't let me unlock the phone because I'm not the original contract owner!

Definitely going to hold off on any more updates until they break 04.12.01. I'm relatively knew to this jailbreaking stuff, so how sure are we that they'll achieve this? If it's unlikely, I might just sell the phone on eBay myself, accept any losses, and buy an SIII.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Definitely going to hold off on any more updates until they break 04.12.01. I'm relatively knew to this jailbreaking stuff, so how sure are we that they'll achieve this? If it's unlikely, I might just sell the phone on eBay myself, accept any losses, and buy an SIII.

This will probably never happen.

abuimak
Sep 7, 2006
Hi, I have a Jailbroken iphone 4s running 5.0.1. Is it possible to download a 5.0.1 ISPW file and restore it to 5.0.1? I remember reading I should keep my iphone at 5.0.1 in case I ever wanted to unlock my phone.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Fruit Smoothies posted:

That will probably never happen. As far as I know they've made zero progress on unlocking *any* iPhone baseband since the ones released over two years ago.

That being said, AT&T iPhones that are at least 2 years old are unlockable. No jailbreaks or hacks required. There are lots of unlocked AT&T iPhone 3GSes and iPhone 4s out there.

You can try looking into Gevey SIM-like device (~$50), a shady unlocking service (~$100), or an unlocked AT&T iPhone (~$???).

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Is there a jailbreak app/tweak that will overlay contact/emergency info on the lockscreen? I run with my phone and if I get hit by a car or something it'd be good to have that info on the phone screen.

I know I could just make a wallpaper up with the info on it, but it'd be nice to have something that works automatically as an overlay.

psylent fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 18, 2012

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

psylent posted:

Is there a jailbreak app/tweak that will overlay contact/emergency info on the lockscreen? I run with my phone and if I get hit by a car or something it'd be good to have that info on the phone screen.

I know I could just make a wallpaper up with the info on it, but it'd be nice to have something that works automatically as an overlay.
Make an image including the info you want the coroner to have and set it as your lock screen wallpaper? Or don't set a passcode and set up contacts for "ME" and "ICE" (In Case of Emergency) and set one or the other in Settings -> General -> Siri -> My info. I think there's an equivalent for non-4s but I forget :shobon:

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Managed to gently caress up the backup process and lost the names to a few tweaks. Could someone please tell me which tweak does the following:

- Hides the link to the store in the music player.
- Doesn't close app store after starting to download an app.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

huhu posted:

Managed to gently caress up the backup process and lost the names to a few tweaks. Could someone please tell me which tweak does the following:

- Hides the link to the store in the music player.
- Doesn't close app store after starting to download an app.

Thanks!

nostorebutton
stayopened

• Locked thread