Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
God, Annie. That was crazy stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

OriginalPseudonym posted:

We haven't seen the bad side of Coyote yet, really, and I'm hoping that trend continues.
Looks like either you or Coyote is going to have to learn to live with disappointment.

I think it just might be you.

(EDIT: Was a JPG, but the PNG actually came out better quality with a smaller filesize!)

Urban Space Cowboy fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 16, 2012

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Here's the REAL proof that poo poo is about to go down.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
maybe she just should have told him about that one time, with the haunted teapot...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Oh boy, you don't want to be in Coyote's No Fun Zone.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Welp, we had a good run, folks. Pack it up, pack it in.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
poo poo just got real.

I look forward to seeing if it's going to be Annie taken down a peg, or taking the brunt of Coyote's anger with as much of a poker face as she has in panel 5.

I'm hoping for the latter, but I think Annie's forgotten the fact that she couldn't look at Coyote etherically without passing out before.

Edit: Can I also just say that I love the complete 180 in terms of Ysengrin's and Coyote's reactions from the last "spankies" episode in the court.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 16, 2012

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

She flicked his nose, man. That thing's got a mind of its own.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Ffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck why isn't it Wednesday yet? :f5:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

feetnotes posted:

She flicked his nose, man. That thing's got a mind of its own.

Yeah, spankies are fair game but going for the nose is just crazy.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Annie's flicking on Coyote's nose isn't a big deal because it's his nose and not his rump, it's a big deal because Annie was only reacting when she spanked him. She was proactive in her choice to flick his nose, purposely defying him. Coyote pretends to not care about people, but he needs control like people need air. He had thought he had Annie wrapped around his paw, so you can imagine his shock and rage in response to Annie treating him like a common beast.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It's hard to get the reduction not to damage the line work, but you might find this one better.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Three possibilities: Annie calls the bluff with poker face, Ysengrin intervenes, or chekhov's distress beacon time.

My money is on number 3.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jul 16, 2012

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach
This is not the plot progression I was expecting on Friday...

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!

MikeJF posted:

Three possibilities: Annie calls the bluff with poker face, Ysengrin intervenes, or chekhov's distress beacon time.

My money is on number 3.

I am hoping for "all of the above". Annie calls the bluff with poker face, Ysengrin jumps in and pulls her out of the way because, gently caress, it is not a bluff, Annie breaks the beacon.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

MikeJF posted:

My money is on number 3.

Another alternative: Jones comes out of nowhere and does a thing to save Annie. She has stated before that she'd be able defy Coyote if necessary.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I'm going for choice 5, which is that this is just banter and they were doing poo poo like this the entire time she was there over the summer. Next page will be the two of them cracking up laughing and Ysengrin just shaking his head.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
I wouldn't be surprised if this is all an act that Annie and Coyote are putting on to get a reaction out of Eglamore. Coyote made sure that Ysengrin wasn't in on the act just because that's the kind of thing that Coyote would do to Ysengrin.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
Well that's a failed attempt at diplomacy if i ever saw one. You'd think the Court would give their potential mediums some kind of training about that! Or that Annie would take a cue from the size of his prank earlier.

I can't wait for Wednesday, because Coyote is too much of a talker to just attack without threatening first.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'd bet on bluff. I don't see Coyote going on a berserk rage. If Coyote wants to kill somebody, he's more likely IMO to engineer a situation where the target kill themselves in a dumb accident that they could have avoided if it weren't for their own personal failings.

He might, however, want to remind Annie that he is magnificent and terrifying.

Random observation: Ysengrin has ethereal glyphs on his face and on the cut ear, not on the intact ear.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I think it's a bit early to be jumping straight to the "OH poo poo" reactions. The interaction on this page reads more like joking around than a serious dispute- my read, at least, is that Annie's just pretending to be petulant rather than intending to actively disobey or ignore Coyote, and most of her words/actions (with the possible exception of "I want to go to the village") make more sense as the former than the latter.

Besides, Coyote's the kind of guy who keeps his cards close to his chest. He can be sinister, and I don't doubt Annie's going to see his dark side again before too long, but right now she trusts him and I don't think he's going to blow that leverage until the time is right. He may be trying to freak her out, give her a reminder of what he can do just in case she forgot, but I don't think this is meant to be a real threat just yet.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 16, 2012

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
My initial reaction was, naturally, "WTF ARE YOU THINKING ANNIE."

But upon reflection, I think this will yield good things.

It's been pointed out to me that Annie has smacked Coyote around before. Heck, he even enjoyed it.

I think this is Annie and Coyote testing of each other's boundaries. Each of them is seeing how far they can push the other. Sort of like a game of chicken, only instead of cars we have a Medium of limitless potential and a being of limitless prankster power. Sort of like Picard squaring off against Q, if Picard was a fire-haired girl instead of a bald Shakespearean actor.

Looking forward to Wednesday.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Its worth pointing out, that in the past when Coyote is being serious, he hides his teeth, and when hes being... Coyote, he smiles a lot.

I think Coyote is seriously pissed this time.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Suaimhneas posted:

I'm going for choice 5, which is that this is just banter and they were doing poo poo like this the entire time she was there over the summer.

Nothing new, really.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Fangz posted:

Oh boy, you don't want to be in Coyote's No Fun Zone.
"Welcome to my fantasy zone! Get ready!
__________/

(This is immediately followed by Coyote, Annie, and Ysengrm riding around on a rocket)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Also, I note that the previous confrontation took place at the heart of the Court, with Jones, Eglamore, the medium candidates, Rey, and the Donlans, and who knows what else the Court has up its sleeve, all watching and prepared to act, whereas this time she's in the middle of the forest alone with no prior promise of safety.

Bocom
Apr 3, 2009

No alibi
No justice
No dream
No hope
She did that in reaction to him saying "Who said you have a choice in the matter, fire head girl?", with that joyless expression.

I think he's being serious and is quite pissed off.

I mean, just last page she forced him away with her feet and he didn't mind at all.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'd agree that this is substantially different from the earlier incident, mostly because Annie is outright defying an order from him in his own realm, while having the gall to strike him when he informs her it wasn't a request. This may end up being the first time we've seen Coyote legitimately angry, and it'll be interesting to see Annie and Ysengrin's reactions to that.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Jesus fuckin' Christ, Annie, you just got out of the hospital. :sigh:

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach
Annie once again demonstrates her remarkable inability to read the mood.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Calling it now: the next page is going to be one of a full-page art panel that looks absolutely gorgeous, raises the tension dramatically, and tells us nothing about whether Coyote is serious or what happens to Annie.

I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You guys know he's a trickster god right? Not a god of wrath and murder. Wednesday's comic is just going to be "hahaha, you crazy, fire girl."

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I dunno, that last panel looks too goofy for me to believe that Coyote is legitimately angry.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

You guys know he's a trickster god right? Not a god of wrath and murder. Wednesday's comic is just going to be "hahaha, you crazy, fire girl."

But see, everyone EXPECTS Annie to be totally fine, but since he's a trickster and he always wants to break expectations so instead he bites off her arm.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Trickster does not mean harmless! Loki, the trickster god of the Nordic pantheon, at various times took body parts from others in his jokes, including Odin's eye.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Conot posted:

Trickster does not mean harmless! Loki, the trickster god of the Nordic pantheon, at various times took body parts from others in his jokes, including Odin's eye.

Loki was a dick, but Odin gave his eye away as a sacrifice for being allowed to drink from Mimirsbrunnir to gain wisdom.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rasamune posted:

Jesus fuckin' Christ, Annie, you just got out of the hospital. :sigh:

He's gonna hit her so hard she feels it last week. And that's how she was hospitalized.

Bocom
Apr 3, 2009

No alibi
No justice
No dream
No hope

Fister Roboto posted:

A trickster god that threatened to snip her arm off if she were to tell anyone in the forest about the tooth he gave her. You're right, he's not a god of wrath and murder, but he's not harmless.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Fister Roboto posted:

Being impulsive and breaking poo poo because you're an out-of-control dumbass are pretty standard parts of the "trickster" package and apply specifically to Coyote legends, it's not just "plays goofy pranks all the time"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
I made up my mind to read Gunnerkrigg Court last night. I'd been putting off reading it for a long time because a) it seemed a Harry Potter clone to my untrained eyes, and b) exposure to lovely webcomics had jaded me. I tried to start it once - read Chapter 1, said it was good, and never went on. I thought I could start over this time.

And I read the whole drat thing overnight. I have no idea how it happened, but it did. The storyline and characters and art both pulled me in. I normally am very nitpicky about webcomic art, but Siddell is definitely a good artist and shoehorns in ridiculous amounts of detail in places. As for the plot, I had initially thought it was another "school story with magic!" thing, but on retrospect it hearkens closer to Gormenghast (which I loved), with similar vast, sprawling structures of mysterious origin full of bizarre characters living separate from a wild and foreign outside world. Not to mention the uncomfortable technology/magic coexistence, and Annie's Titus Groanesque desire to explore beyond. The author also does a great job of using lesser-known mythical figures, and the inclusion of minor references (in particular the bawdy Shepherd's Wife song) also made me smile. Siddell clearly researches and knows a lot, but it's never overbearing as in other webcomics.

All things said, I will definitely be following this for further developments. Sorry about the :words: but I'm just amazed how this flew under my radar for so long. It's a good series.

Discussion of the current update: tweaking Coyote's nose is definitely looking for a reaction. It's a game of cat and mouse where the cat is a cosmic being of limitless power and mischief.